Season Ticket Holder Discussion Thread: Pt 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
During the game tonight I saw an ad saying more tickets were going to be released on Monday for 'all Oiler games'.

Wonder if that is due to cancellations, people reneging on their deposits or what. Odd.

I do know that the Powerpacks were selling poorly and that tickets have continued to be available to every game. The kicker is at lower cost than they were last year for individual game tickets.

Doesn't much matter though as tickets will be cheaper in resales.

boredem

Jan 22, 2013
I thought for sure this was going to be a tough year to sell tickets but to be honest this is the easiest of the 3 years I've had tickets by far.

I've sold 25 games already and the season hasn't even started, the general public seems to still be excited besides the doom and gloom around here sometimes. However I do agree with the statement that this is a huge season, it will show everyone if 2016-2017 was a one off, or if last year was a one off.

Last edited:

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006
I thought for sure this was going to be a tough year to sell tickets but to be honest this is the easiest of the 3 years I've had tickets by far.

I've sold 25 games already and the season hasn't even started, the general public seems to still be excited besides the doom and gloom around here sometimes.
Are you selling on ticket exchange or elsewhere? I put up 20 or so games for cost and nothing is moving.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
Wonder if that is due to cancellations, people reneging on their deposits or what. Odd.

I do know that the Powerpacks were selling poorly and that tickets have continued to be available to every game. The kicker is at lower cost than they were last year for individual game tickets.

Doesn't much matter though as tickets will be cheaper in resales.
I think its probably the poor powerpack sales. And even in this thread we see multiple fans who are choosing to stay on the list rather than buy tickets right now.

In spite of their stupidity, I don't like to see the Oilers struggle financially at all, even if it is Katz. So I hope that they come out strong this year. A couple of bad months to start the season and I imagine tickets will be available for a song.

boredem

Jan 22, 2013
Are you selling on ticket exchange or elsewhere? I put up 20 or so games for cost and nothing is moving.
Ticket exchange usually sells a few games for me each year, but only 1 game so far this year (a pre-season game). I think I've managed to sell about 1 game in the thread on this forum over 3 years so I rarely even bother here anymore.

I've developed a network of buyers which has made things easy. I think too many people take all their tickets and post them here, kijiji, facebook and then just sit on their hands. I'm very active with selling my seats.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Ticket exchange usually sells a few games for me each year, but only 1 game so far this year (a pre-season game). I think I've managed to sell about 1 game in the thread on this forum over 3 years so I rarely even bother here anymore.

I've developed a network of buyers which has made things easy. I think too many people take all their tickets and post them here, kijiji, facebook and then just sit on their hands. I'm very active with selling my seats.

Its possible then that your experience would be somewhat anecdotal. For instance that your network of buyers would be motivated.

Generally people haven't been and to wit:

-No lottery for minipacs for the first time as demand was low for these
-Minipacs not even sold out.
-Numerous tickets available to game that are not resales but original sales. i.e. unsold tickets
-Many of these seats being every game same tickets meaning they are not sold through STH or minipack
-Reduction of price of individual game tickets to the lowest prices seen at Rogers to entice some sales.
-Numerous waitlisted that just held, didn't take the seats that were available. By reports EVERY waitlisted person got a shot at seats other than the Sports lounge seats this time. From whats been heard from waitlist they went through the entire list looking for prospective buyers and not all seats were sold.

What the Oilers are finding is that this season is the hardest sell.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I think its probably the poor powerpack sales. And even in this thread we see multiple fans who are choosing to stay on the list rather than buy tickets right now.

In spite of their stupidity, I don't like to see the Oilers struggle financially at all, even if it is Katz. So I hope that they come out strong this year. A couple of bad months to start the season and I imagine tickets will be available for a song.

This season I'm not convinced that a turnaround is even going to result in dramatic increase in demand. I think years after the economic downturn a different pinch is being felt now. A lot of people just can't buy. Or won't make that decision now in prudence. I think the bubble has been burst.

DaGap

Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
This season I'm not convinced that a turnaround is even going to result in dramatic increase in demand. I think years after the economic downturn a different pinch is being felt now. A lot of people just can't buy. Or won't make that decision now in prudence. I think the bubble has been burst.

Well I cancelled this season. Built a sweet Man Cave and taking the family to disneyland this year and still saved 5k

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Well I cancelled this season. Built a sweet Man Cave and taking the family to disneyland this year and still saved 5k

Sums up everything right there about how I've felt. I just can't rationalize prices like this from a cost pov and other things you could do instead.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Its possible then that your experience would be somewhat anecdotal. For instance that your network of buyers would be motivated.

Generally people haven't been and to wit:

-No lottery for minipacs for the first time as demand was low for these
-Minipacs not even sold out.
-Numerous tickets available to game that are not resales but original sales. i.e. unsold tickets
-Many of these seats being every game same tickets meaning they are not sold through STH or minipack
-Reduction of price of individual game tickets to the lowest prices seen at Rogers to entice some sales.
-Numerous waitlisted that just held, didn't take the seats that were available. By reports EVERY waitlisted person got a shot at seats other than the Sports lounge seats this time. From whats been heard from waitlist they went through the entire list looking for prospective buyers and not all seats were sold.

What the Oilers are finding is that this season is the hardest sell.
Maybe they’re also finding out that they’ve priced their tickets too high as well. They used the new arena to artificially boost the ticket value for years. Three seasons in now and the shine is off. They may need to re-evaluate how much they can gouge the customers.

DaGap

Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Sums up everything right there about how I've felt. I just can't rationalize prices like this from a cost pov and other things you could do instead.

Yeah it was just getting to be too much of a financial commitment to a team who is usually done by november.

Had season's tickets since 2000 so roughly almost 380k has gone to the oilers.

Yeah much happier now.

StevenF1919

Oct 9, 2017
Edmonton
Yeah it was just getting to be too much of a financial commitment to a team who is usually done by november.

Had season's tickets since 2000 so roughly almost 380k has gone to the oilers.

Yeah much happier now.
I have a feeling I'll be joining you next year. McDavid is fun to watch but when you can buy re-sale tickets for half the price of what you pay as a season ticket holder it just isn't worth it, especially when the team is years away from contending.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
I think years after the economic downturn a different pinch is being felt now. A lot of people just can't buy. Or won't make that decision now in prudence.
I mean that's got to be a factor as well.
I know while I was back in Canada this year I could see the pinch being felt.
Why spend your shrinking disposable money on something that is just going to piss you off?

boredem

Jan 22, 2013
Looks like printing tickets is back, guess it wasn't as flawless as some people claim. I would highly recommend people screenshot their tickets before arriving so you don't have to worry about these issues.

During the Oilers first three home pre-season games this month, Rogers Place experienced intermittent outages in its mobile ticketing system during peak entry times. We recognize the frustration this has caused our fans.

After an extensive review of the issue, the risk of these outages continuing is significant enough that we will be returning to the mobile ticket process you were familiar with in 2017-18.

This change will result in the following ticket options being available to you, effective October 1 and continuing throughout the 2018-19 season:

1. Use your Season Seat Holder card for entry to Rogers Place.
2. Within 48 hours of game time, download and print a PDF of your ticket and present for entry.
3. Within 48 hours of game time, load your ticket on your smart phone and present for mobile entry. For the best experience, iPhone users should add it to their Apple Wallet.

Simby

Oct 11, 2016
Looks like printing tickets is back, guess it wasn't as flawless as some people claim. I would highly recommend people screenshot their tickets before arriving so you don't have to worry about these issues.

During the Oilers first three home pre-season games this month, Rogers Place experienced intermittent outages in its mobile ticketing system during peak entry times. We recognize the frustration this has caused our fans.

After an extensive review of the issue, the risk of these outages continuing is significant enough that we will be returning to the mobile ticket process you were familiar with in 2017-18.

This change will result in the following ticket options being available to you, effective October 1 and continuing throughout the 2018-19 season:

1. Use your Season Seat Holder card for entry to Rogers Place.
2. Within 48 hours of game time, download and print a PDF of your ticket and present for entry.
3. Within 48 hours of game time, load your ticket on your smart phone and present for mobile entry. For the best experience, iPhone users should add it to their Apple Wallet.

Mobile entry for Paul McCartney last night seemed to work fine. I wonder what issues they had at non-sold out pre-season games.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Mobile entry for any concert has worked fine. One doesn't even have to be online. You just have to make sure you have the tickets already showing on your ticketmaster app. Are the Oilers using their own APP, and if so why, as fans are paying the ticketmaster tariff anyway..

Another comment on a new ticketmaster policy is they want people to be doubling down and adding it to their Apple Wallet. I specifically don't have one, and don't need one for any other usage. I'm far from alone on that. Ticketmaster should not be expecting people to have what they don't have.

Its quite amazing if no difficulties at all were had for Paul McCartney concert. That would be the oldest crowd possible for a show. If seniors can get this done and through gates efficiently it should work OK for younger fans that are generally more tech proficient.

Nonamee

Sep 2, 2016
When I went to the Canucks preseason game, and arrived 30 minutes prior to game time, there were well over 1000 people (perhaps 1000’s) lined up at the will call window … and the security lines were short.

I found out why once I cleared security, their apps weren’t working and people couldn’t bring up their tickets.

They just let us in without showing anything (although I had my season seat holder cards in my pocket).

Didn’t think that they would want that happening during the regular season; especially once word got out ...

madmutter

F**king Phenomenal
Jun 6, 2009
I wonder if maybe due to Ticketmaster's recent legal and image issues they have decided to back off on this policy whether there were technical issues or not. I really think the reason for no printed tickets and no access to tickets until 48 hours before an event has everything to do with keeping all resale (scalping) to their platform. Ticketmaster is an awful company, it blows my mind that they don't seem to have major competitors.

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
Mobile entry for any concert has worked fine. One doesn't even have to be online. You just have to make sure you have the tickets already showing on your ticketmaster app. Are the Oilers using their own APP, and if so why, as fans are paying the ticketmaster tariff anyway..

Another comment on a new ticketmaster policy is they want people to be doubling down and adding it to their Apple Wallet. I specifically don't have one, and don't need one for any other usage. I'm far from alone on that. Ticketmaster should not be expecting people to have what they don't have.

Its quite amazing if no difficulties at all were had for Paul McCartney concert. That would be the oldest crowd possible for a show. If seniors can get this done and through gates efficiently it should work OK for younger fans that are generally more tech proficient.

This.
I was at the Paul McCartney show and expected entry to be complete gong show.

Everything went smoothly. Not sure what the deal is with the Oilers.

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006
Mobile entry for Paul McCartney last night seemed to work fine. I wonder what issues they had at non-sold out pre-season games.
Well they changed the mobile entry requirement before Paul McCartney didn't they? So the inherent problem would not arise. With the Oilers I'm sure more than a concert there is a lot of people accessing the app all in a very small timeframe. I know personally I would make sure once in a lifetime (usually) concert tickets were loaded on my device in advance.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Well they changed the mobile entry requirement before Paul McCartney didn't they? So the inherent problem would not arise. With the Oilers I'm sure more than a concert there is a lot of people accessing the app all in a very small timeframe. I know personally I would make sure once in a lifetime (usually) concert tickets were loaded on my device in advance.

Pretty sure McCartney tickets were sold as mobile delivery option only. I could stand to be corrected but all of the concerts have been this way through ticketmaster for over a year. They wouldn't change the delivery option at last moment for a concert sold out for a long time. All the people would already had selected mobile. Changing over after 18K tickets were sold would open up the possibility of scamming by people having both print and mobile options and selling the print one potentially to buyers unaware. You only get to select one delivery option. So McCartney was mobile delivery.

So the question that continues to be asked is why are there never any difficulties with ticketmaster concerts using mobile entry and somehow the Oilers (also through ticketmaster) are having trouble. Could anybody verify that the Oilers games are also entry through ticketmaster app?

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
I dont get why the mobile ticketing was such a big deal.

2 days before the event you can log into the Oilers account and add the ticket right to wallet, they stay there until you delete them.

Budddy

Dec 9, 2008
Okanagan
Pretty sure McCartney tickets were sold as mobile delivery option only. I could stand to be corrected but all of the concerts have been this way through ticketmaster for over a year. They wouldn't change the delivery option at last moment for a concert sold out for a long time. All the people would already had selected mobile. Changing over after 18K tickets were sold would open up the possibility of scamming by people having both print and mobile options and selling the print one potentially to buyers unaware. You only get to select one delivery option. So McCartney was mobile delivery.

So the question that continues to be asked is why are there never any difficulties with ticketmaster concerts using mobile entry and somehow the Oilers (also through ticketmaster) are having trouble. Could anybody verify that the Oilers games are also entry through ticketmaster app?
Was gonna post here for a ticket request but thought I would reply to your post.

My wife and I flew in from BC for the McCartney concert (was awesome) and also saw the Oilers vs Flames. Paul concert was only mobile and we were told Oilers game was too. We had no issues getting in at all, but was surprised only had one access so the lineup was big for both events

Will be in Edmonton October 18 and was wondering if anyone on the boards here had a single ticket to the Bruins game. P.m. me if you do with details. Would prefer lower bowl where Bruins shoot twice

Thanks!

Last edited:

RegDunlop

Nov 5, 2016
Edmonton
I wonder if maybe due to Ticketmaster's recent legal and image issues they have decided to back off on this policy whether there were technical issues or not. I really think the reason for no printed tickets and no access to tickets until 48 hours before an event has everything to do with keeping all resale (scalping) to their platform. Ticketmaster is an awful company, it blows my mind that they don't seem to have major competitors.

Oh they do have competitors like Stub-Hub etc.

But they own them!!!!

What a disgrace that governments let this monopolizing POS unfair trading company continue to exist.

Trizent

Mar 4, 2005
Oil Country

Only hole in this theory is other markets are mobile entry only.

Every NFL team is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad