Season Ticket Holder Discussion Thread: Pt 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThreeOfAPerfectPair

Oct 26, 2017
Edmonton
Oh they do have competitors like Stub-Hub etc.

But they own them!!!!

What a disgrace that governments let this monopolizing POS unfair trading company continue to exist.

Doesn't seem like there would be a huge barrier for entry. It's just tickets, hard to understand. I imagine google or amazon will come out with a competing business in the near future...

RegDunlop

Nov 5, 2016
Edmonton
Um, nope. eBay owns StubHub. Ticketmaster is a direct competitor.

Correctamundo!!

My apologies. I have no idea where I got that info, but I've believed it for years.

They are two rivals. Apparently it was TicketNow that Ticketmaster acquired years ago.

Thanks for the correction.
Again - sorry all for wrong info.

Nonamee

Sep 2, 2016
Live Nation, owned by Ticketmaster, is by far the largest ticket provider in North America. Ticketmaster controlled over 80 percent of the market before the merger in 2010 and that still holds true of Live Nation today, buttressed by its role as the continent's largest concert promoter and owner of over 200 venues.

Because Live Nation manages over 500 major music artists, they can demand that venues wanting to host concerts exclusively use Ticketmaster instead of a competitor.

They manage the acts, own the venues, promote the events, and sell the primary tickets.

Yes others have dominated the secondary market but Ticketmaster is well on the way to changing that too.

They are the official reseller of the Edmonton Oilers are they not?

Someone recently purchased a pair of my seats off of Ticketmaster resale ... the cheque for $344 came to me from Tickets Now on Hollywood Boulevard LA ... cost to the buyer was at least $467. A $123 or 35.76% premium or whatever one wants to call it. I say at least because you only know what you get as a seller; they can relist the tickets on several different sites at any cost ... one never knows what they really sold for.

Here's some recent news ...

Bad week at the box office: Ticketmaster faces call for federal probe in the U.S. | CBC News

Last edited:
Reactions: ThreeOfAPerfectPair

RegDunlop

Nov 5, 2016
Edmonton
Live Nation, owned by Ticketmaster, is by far the largest ticket provider in North America. Ticketmaster controlled over 80 percent of the market before the merger in 2010 and that still holds true of Live Nation today, buttressed by its role as the continent's largest concert promoter and owner of over 200 venues.

Because Live Nation manages over 500 major music artists, they can demand that venues wanting to host concerts exclusively use Ticketmaster instead of a competitor.

They manage the acts, own the venues, promote the events, and sell the primary tickets.

Yes others have dominated the secondary market but Ticketmaster is well on the way to changing that too.

They are the official reseller of the Edmonton Oilers are they not?

Someone recently purchased a pair of my seats off of Ticketmaster resale ... the cheque for $344 came to me from Tickets Now on Hollywood Boulevard LA ... cost to the buyer was at least $467. A $123 or 35.76% premium or whatever one wants to call it. I say at least because you only know what you get as a seller; they can relist the tickets on several different sites at any cost ... one never knows what they really sold for.

Here's some recent news ...

Bad week at the box office: Ticketmaster faces call for federal probe in the U.S. | CBC News

God they are a disgusting company. Scratch that - it's more disgusting that this is allowed to go on and has gone on for so long.

I knew TM owned a few secondary resellers but had no idea Live Nation was that big. There are supposed combine laws against such monopolization and it seems most other industries are monitored, except ticketing.
Disgusting.

Thanks for the info! One of my pet peeves.

IBleedOil247

Aug 12, 2005
Edmonton
Had a major issue with Ticketmaster/Rogers Place Account Manager for Keith Urban Concert that has really soured my taste.

I am an Oilers Season Seat Holder and have used the Ticketmaster App and Oilers Account Manager numerous times so I am familiar with the process, but this instance really pissed me off.

I received Loge Table Tickets for Keith Urban as a gift 3 days prior to the show. The day before the show, I followed the link to download the tickets to my Apple Wallet and before completing an error message came up saying "Server Error - Try again Later" - I waited until day of the show around 10AM and tried again, only to get the same error message. Frustrated, I called Ticketmaster to see if I could get the issue resolved - After waiting on hold for 64 minutes I was then told that I couldn't be helped because the tickets are through an Account Manager (Rogers Place Account Manager) and Ticketmaster (even though they are filtered through Ticketmaster) has no visibility to the tickets and was asked to call the Rogers Place Account Manager Number, so I did. And I again waited on hold for 72 minutes, only to be answered by - yup - Ticketmaster again! I was again told that it was not possible for them to help me - very angry I asked to speak to a supervisor - this lovely woman then said she found the solution for me and gave me a phone number - guess what number it was? The same damn phone number I call and was speaking to her on with a current call time of 82 minutes! She was apologetic and told me there was nothing she could do.

I then emailed [email protected] requesting an immediate call back, which I received an email back right away with a phone number! Yes - finally - Called the number, Closed on Saturdays :mad:

Called the Box Office, explained my situation - They are only able to speak to the person who transferred me the tickets in order to accommodate the transaction. I phoned my friend who then phoned the box office to which they said they needed to log on to Account Manager and re transfer - "Server Error" - My friend called Ticketmaster waited on hold for 45 minutes (Lucky her) and was again told that they can not help because it is through the Rogers Place Account Manager - She lost her shit lol - She then phoned The Box Office back and probably tore the person on the other end of the phone to shreds then phoned me and said my tickets would be waiting at Will Call - This was a 4.5 Hour Process

Sorry, long rant - Show was great! - First time in the Loge and although the concept of the Loge is great and the view is amazing, I feel that whole floor is a giant waste of space and could be utilized much better

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
I forget, what was wrong with the old system where they just printed out hard copy tickets upon purchase and that was the end of it?

Weitz

Sep 23, 2014
Not sure if this would be the right thread to ask but here goes:

I have tickets to the January 19th game against the flames. The wife and I want to get a hotel downtown for the night.. Any suggestions on where we should stay? We would want somewhere nice but also somewhere we can walk around downtown/to the game and what not.

Thanks!

drewshoo

Feb 26, 2014
Lethbridge
Not sure if this would be the right thread to ask but here goes:

I have tickets to the January 19th game against the flames. The wife and I want to get a hotel downtown for the night.. Any suggestions on where we should stay? We would want somewhere nice but also somewhere we can walk around downtown/to the game and what not.

Thanks!
I've had good stays at the Delta downtown.

Reactions: Weitz

morningla

Aug 18, 2011
anyone sell tickets on stubhub and gets paid to a bank via direct deposit in the States (with TD)? i was told that starting Oct 1st, Stubhub now pays Canadian ticket sales from stubhub.ca

I had a net ticket sale of $20 and was charged $15 in wire transfer fee. Chatted with stubhub stating that they did not notify me of this change, the agent kept telling me nothing was changed on their end. how they paid us is still the same. But I told her she confirmed this policy changed on Oct 1.

Soon she said figure it out with the bank and disconnected lol.

anyone else seeing this and if they talked to the bank/stubhub?

boredem

Jan 22, 2013
To be fair I was already on the fence about renewing my seats for next year regardless of how the Oilers do this year; but if they don't make the playoffs this year it'll just be that much easier. Wonder how early they will be asking for deposits this year?

Pretty tough to justify $300+ night out to watch a mediocre hockey game. Plus my friends with seats are struggling to sell games this year.... I think the soft economy is not helping either.

Beerad

Aug 18, 2018
Edmonton
This was my first year having season seats, not even sure if I’ll renew. Not worth it.

Last edited:

StevenF1919

Oct 9, 2017
Edmonton
Decent ticket sale. Are the Oilers still selling out games? How much of a discount is there on the secondary market these days?

No, as of the beginning of the season I believe the only game that sold out was the Toronto game but that could have changed now. Discounts are heavy in the re-sale market and honestly it's tough to even give them away for free against the lesser opponents.

boredem

Jan 22, 2013
Discounts are heavy in the re-sale market and honestly it's tough to even give them away for free against the lesser opponents.

I think resale also depends on where your tickets are; I moved to lower bowl attack twice side this year and sold 25 games before the season even started. The people who have gone to games in my seats have all been very happy. Most of my buyers only go to 1-2 games a year and want to sit in better seats.

I have a few friends with seats in the upperbowl that are really struggling to sell tickets this year. Personally I won't sit in the upperbowl; it's too far from the ice, you can't hear the game at all, people leaning ruin the view, and it's so damn steep I'm just waiting for the day someone gets hurt. I went to 2 games in the upperbowl and never again, I would rather sit at home and watch.

Gunnersaurus Rex

Jan 14, 2008
I think resale also depends on where your tickets are; I moved to lower bowl attack twice side this year and sold 25 games before the season even started. The people who have gone to games in my seats have all been very happy. Most of my buyers only go to 1-2 games a year and want to sit in better seats.

I have a few friends with seats in the upperbowl that are really struggling to sell tickets this year. Personally I won't sit in the upperbowl; it's too far from the ice, you can't hear the game at all, people leaning ruin the view, and it's so damn steep I'm just waiting for the day someone gets hurt. I went to 2 games in the upperbowl and never again, I would rather sit at home and watch.
I agree. The upper level in the new barn is awful. Too high and steep for me. I actually preferred the upper level in Rexall but will not go to a game at Rogers in the upper level.

boredem

Jan 22, 2013
I agree. The upper level in the new barn is awful. Too high and steep for me. I actually preferred the upper level in Rexall but will not go to a game at Rogers in the upper level.
Ya it's a huge let down to me, I also enjoyed the 2nd level in Rexall it didn't seem that bad. We fully intended on moving our seats to the upper bowl to reduce costs, so we went to a few games to test it out and were disappointed with the experience. We decided that it was either lower bowl or watch from home.

Too much space between the top of the lower bowl and the bottom of the upper bowl. Had to fit in those $60,000 loge tables somehow.

Killer Z

Aug 24, 2005
Edmonton, AB
The primary benefit to being a STH is that you used to receive a discounted rate for committing to all 45 games. Unfortunately, this is the 2nd consecutive year that the market value for Oilers tickets is less than the cost paid by STHs. The Oilers front office have priced these seats in a manner where there is little incentive to be a STH.

One can simply purchase from a wide selection of seats at a discount for any game, even for a Saturday night game, on the TicketExchange or on this forum.

Unless one desperately wishes to sit in the same seat for each game, or unless the market corrects itself (which will take considerable time as STH prices are never going to decrease), there is little reason to be a STH.

I love the Oilers, but I cannot find a good reason to renew my season seats (which I have had since 2002) for next season.

Sniper99

Jan 12, 2011
Edmonton
not really season ticket related but has anyone ever used the app GameTime for cheap tickets? I kept seeing this app advertisement on instagram or whatever so I downloaded it on my phone, just havent bought tickets yet. Not sure if they're safe to use. or any negative feedback.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad