Season Officially Suspended -- COVID-19/Coronavirus Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChicagoBlues

Sentient
Oct 24, 2006
Wow! There is some serious disconnection from humanity in this thread.

But that’s exactly the problem. We are not dealing with humans here.

-

On another note, I recently read an athlete’s opinion of the death of George Floyd.

He described it as a “senseless murder” as if there is such a thing as a murder that makes sense.

just violence
due respect
fresh frozen
military intelligence

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007
physically confront the police

this is honestly pathetic, hes a 75 year old man who was pushed over by a group of young men in riot gear and you defend it

take a lap fella

Yes, he physically initiated contact by walking into an advancing line of riot police. What's "pathetic" is you making excuses for inexcusable behavior yet holding police to a completely different standard. You keep dodging my question, what was a 75 year old man doing initiating contact with riot police? Where's your common sense now?

Take a lap indeed, how about you take a few bud.

Reactions: Pizza!Pizza!

tfriede2

Aug 8, 2010
Wow! There is some serious disconnection from humanity in this thread.

But that’s exactly the problem. We are not dealing with humans here.

-

On another note, I recently read an athlete’s opinion of the death of George Floyd.

He described it as a “senseless murder” as if there is such a thing as a murder that makes sense.

just violence
due respect
fresh frozen
military intelligence

Gavin de Becker, a security / domestic violence expert who is the co-creator of a security assessment system used to protect the Supreme Court justices and other senior government officials (he is extremely accomplished and has provided expert testimony in several civil rights cases - I recommend looking up his profile on Wikipedia. He has been on several talk shows, including Oprah multiple times) is the author of the book The Gift of Fear.

In The Gift of Fear, he describes his take on police, politicians, and commentators describing an act of violence or murder as “senseless.” In short, he thinks that’s shortsighted, because if you describe it as senseless, then how do you make sense of it? Making sense of it is key to predicting and preventing violence, as the act isn’t senseless to the perpetrator.

I know folks don’t think about it from that perspective when they describe an act of violence and murder as senseless, as de Becker is specifically in the business of predicting and preventing violence, so he has a much different perspective than most. But, interesting nonetheless.

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
Yes, he physically initiated contact by walking into an advancing line of riot police. What's "pathetic" is you making excuses for inexcusable behavior yet holding police to a completely different standard. You keep dodging my question, what was a 75 year old man doing initiating contact with riot police? Where's your common sense now?

Take a lap indeed, how about you take a few bud.

Yeah it’s insane to hold the people who’s job is to serve and protect to a higher standard

i mean, they are only trained to deescalate situations, given weapons and riot gear

they should definitely be held to the same standard as a regular old man in the street

Reactions: Blueston

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Yeah it’s insane to hold the people who’s job is to serve and protect to a higher standard

i mean, they are only trained to deescalate situations, given weapons and riot gear

they should definitely be held to the same standard as a regular old man in the street
Not sure that's a safe assumption. Don't really disagree with you, but if they are trained in de-escalation, it's a pretty ineffective training.

TK 421

Sep 12, 2007

Well your "regular old man" went looking for trouble and he found it and now you want cry for him. B-O-O...H-O-O. No sympathy for the old guy, he got exactly what he had coming. Should have left confronting riot police to someone a little more robust, common sense.

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
Well your "regular old man" went looking for trouble and he found it and now you want cry for him. B-O-O...H-O-O. No sympathy for the old guy, he got exactly what he had coming. Should have left confronting riot police to someone a little more robust, common sense.

glad you have compassion for your fellow man

TK 421

Sep 12, 2007
glad you have compassion for your fellow man

Lol why would I feel bad for an idiot who went looking for trouble and found it? Go ahead and keep up your selective outrage though, makes no difference to me.

ChicagoBlues

Sentient
Oct 24, 2006
Gavin de Becker, a security / domestic violence expert who is the co-creator of a security assessment system used to protect the Supreme Court justices and other senior government officials (he is extremely accomplished and has provided expert testimony in several civil rights cases - I recommend looking up his profile on Wikipedia. He has been on several talk shows, including Oprah multiple times) is the author of the book The Gift of Fear.

In The Gift of Fear, he describes his take on police, politicians, and commentators describing an act of violence or murder as “senseless.” In short, he thinks that’s shortsighted, because if you describe it as senseless, then how do you make sense of it? Making sense of it is key to predicting and preventing violence, as the act isn’t senseless to the perpetrator.

I know folks don’t think about it from that perspective when they describe an act of violence and murder as senseless, as de Becker is specifically in the business of predicting and preventing violence, so he has a much different perspective than most. But, interesting nonetheless.

I really enjoy delving into behavioral motivations and trying to understand them.

We do need to better understand violent behavior, but that can, sometimes, be construed as trying to understand Hitler.

Anything of that nature can, sometimes, be (mis)understood as sympathizing.

I’ll give that book a chance.

Thank you.

Last edited:
Reactions: tfriede2

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
They really need to stop viewing themselves as a monolith. That's why they are losing support from people that would otherwise support them. I'm someone that believes that most cops are doing their best and aren't bad, but at a certain point, you have to call out your bad cops, at least admit that bad cops exist.

And there are plenty of examples of cops agreeing with the protesters and joining them, so we could highlight them too. For the vocal ones that don't seem to understand why people are against them, they really need to stop viewing them as a monolith.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Crazy stuff going on in Seattle and the Gov just acts like nothing is happening, it's all a hypothetical.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Remember the 08 bank collapse with CDO's, well the banks are now doing CLO's, which are essentially the same thing with business loans instead of mortgages. Well with businesses failing, so analysts think banks could be in serious trouble. Yay...

The Looming Bank Collapse

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Missouri is opening up completely next week and hospitalizations have been decreasing. As long as hospitalizations keep going down, we will be in good shape.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad