Season Officially Suspended -- COVID-19/Coronavirus Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
what about those of us that have had the virus?
there would really be no reason to give someone who has had the virus a vaccine to fake the body into thinking it has the virus

has any research been done on the effects of giving someone who has had the virus the vaccine? would it be safe?

depending on how the vaccine is created I could see people who medically wouldn’t be allowed to take it

I think it may possibly be illegal to even ask people to show proof

trying that would open a whole lot of potential issues for them in my opinion (not that anyone actually asked for my opinion)
Not illegal. Perhaps unethical, but I'm not getting into the entire discussion of what is and isn't ethical because some people will (ab)use that for their own selfish reasons.

Not sure why the method of creating a vaccine would create medical issues for getting it. Does this occur with others?

Whether you need the vaccine after having been infected depends on whether your exposure confers permanent immunity or not. Hell, we don't even know whether the vaccine confers permanent immunity. It could be 6-9 months, it could depend on the strain you were infected with vs. the strain in the vaccine. [See: seasonal flu]

Lots of question on the actual efficacy, especially as regards various groups at risk. Thinking we'll get that fully vetted in 4-6 months is asking a hell of a lot, which is why vaccine development typically takes years.

Reactions: Ranksu

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Em9YIfcXEAErC82.png

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
@Robb_K are you ok, still in LA? You coming in to NL at all?
Hei Teemu,
Yes, I'm still alive, and a prisoner of self-lockdown at my sister's house in L.A. I don't go out in public, I won't sit in an airport waiting room or get on an airplane until I've got some kind of Covid-19 Virus protection inside me. Which I hope can come in late January, IF I'm in the 1st group, old folks and health care workers and other essential workers who must interface with many people. If the priorities will NOT be ALL old people, but only those in care homes for the sick and elderly (as stated by President Trump), I might first get the first vaccine injection in April or May, and then the second dose one month after that. I'll have been gone from Europe about a year and a half. I can write and draw stories where I am, and have Internet meetings with my editors and artist colleagues, but I lost all my this past year's spring and summer cartooning seminars in Denmark and Norway, and hope not to lose next year's.

The past several days, 42 people in USA are dying each MINUTE. It's expected that possibly up to one million will die over the 3-year period, EVEN considering the vaccines and their projected availability.

Last edited:

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
Good, Rob. Glad to know you're staying safe and doing good, even if you're kind of stuck in one place with nowhere to go. Safe > sick, especially right now and especially since it's kind of a roll of the dice on whether you'll get seriously sick or not.

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
Good, Rob. Glad to know you're staying safe and doing good, even if you're kind of stuck in one place with nowhere to go. Safe > sick, especially right now and especially since it's kind of a roll of the dice on whether you'll get seriously sick or not.
At my age, I'm not taking any risks. I'm glad that the medical workers will get vaccinated before the general public, so whoever handles my vaccination (outside in a drive-up situation) will already be immune. I hope that will occur in January or early February. I'll stop in Winnipeg on my way over, to visit my other sister, as by then, it will have been a year since I visited her on my way to L.A.

Reactions: Ranksu

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
At my age, I'm not taking any risks. I'm glad that the medical workers will get vaccinated before the general public, so whoever handles my vaccination (outside in a drive-up situation) will already be immune. I hope that will occur in January or early February. I'll stop in Winnipeg on my way over, to visit my other sister, as by then, it will have been a year since I visited her on my way to L.A.
I really have to re-evaluate my situation at my work if we're forced to take vaccine. In my knowledge it will be volyntary for medical workers. I dont trust vaccine which have create such a fast pace. It will need more time to develope and limit side affect. Look what happened with Swin flu vaccine.

Brockon

Cautiously optimistic realist when caffeinated.
Aug 20, 2017
Northern Canada
I really have to re-evaluate my situation at my work if we're forced to take vaccine. In my knowledge it will be volyntary for medical workers. I dont trust vaccine which have create such a fast pace. It will need more time to develope and limit side affect. Look what happened with Swin flu vaccine.

I'm curious to see how quickly the vaccine becomes mandatory for essential workers outside the medical field.

I expect the initial batch to be sent to primary caregivers innthe medical field and trickle down to others in the medical field from there.

How is that distributed after the medical professionals are vaccinated? What other employees get prioritized before the mass roll out for the general public?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad