Season Officially Suspended -- COVID-19/Coronavirus Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011

Ethan is a tool. Are those proud boys and white supremacists just because the label in the video says so? And what do you think a curfew means? I'm not a personal fan of them, but that's what it is. Nothing in the video was anywhere close to what Ethan typed in his tweet.

Reagans Blues

Apr 12, 2019
USA
sorry what? please give me context that would make this okay? the first guy in the video has his hands in the air while hes being beaten

and the second video is a drive by pepper spraying of people holding signs

please, enlighten me
You have no idea what happened before the video. Were things being thrown at them? Were they told to leave the area and refused?

Reactions: Pizza!Pizza!

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
Ethan is a tool. Are those proud boys and white supremacists just because the label in the video says so? And what do you think a curfew means? I'm not a personal fan of them, but that's what it is. Nothing in the video was anywhere close to what Ethan typed in his tweet.

I dont like Ethan either

however, this isn’t his video. why is this guy, with a weapon, being given a quiet warning. he also says they can go in their car , when there are a bunch of videos out there of cops pulling black people out of their cars because of the curfew

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
You have no idea what happened before the video. Were things being thrown at them? Were they told to leave the area and refused?

this website is the absolute worst as made obvious by this thread and the responses in the diversity group on the main page

honestly somehow worse than facebook

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I dont like Ethan either

however, this isn’t his video. why is this guy, with a weapon, being given a quiet warning. he also says they can go in their car , when there are a bunch of videos out there of cops pulling black people out of their cars because of the curfew
I'm just saying there are plenty of other videos that are actually bad. Now maybe this cop was being nefarious and only warning certain groups ahead of time, but I would honestly want police officers to warn people like that more often. Maybe this was how he was de-escalating a future situation by removing at least 1 armed individual from a future tense situation. That video just doesn't show much to me.

Now there are plenty of videos of rubber bullets being used incorrectly, they really shouldn't be used at all. Tear gas canisters being shot at faces and not being used correctly. Too many instances of police officers escalating situations when they don't need to be. I know there are situations where they are being attacked, so I can be more understanding in certain situations with rioters, but a lot of bad situations IMO.

Reactions: Celtic Note

TheBluePenguin

Apr 15, 2015
St Louis
this website is the absolute worst as made obvious by this thread and the responses in the diversity group on the main page

honestly somehow worse than facebook

This board just reflects the nation, which is why these actions have been allowed to occur for so long. People seriously believe that if a cops does something the person ALWAYS deserves it. I have said multiple times on this board my father was a cop, it was about 60/40 good cops to bad. There were bullies and A-holes that would sit in my housing telling stories about things they have done. Majority of cops are good and I honestly believe that, but while certain acts are swept under the rug and protected, things are going to continue,

Its not like there are more bad cops now then 20 years ago, the only thing that changed is everyone carries a HD camera to record whats really happening.

Reactions: Blueston and izzy

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
I think we are going to have to agree to disagree on the Buffalo incident because to me, it looks like they barely pushed the guy (a known police agitator btw) and he went flailing backwards and fell. Even if that little shove was enough for him to fall like that, it doesn't change the fact that they followed proper police procedure. When police are in riot gear and are clearing an area like that, they are allowed to push people back that don't move. That guy put himself in that position hoping for police to react and they did. There is no doubt in my mind that those two officers are going to walk.
Maybe that procedure and policy is problematic then from the start. I have seen numerous videos with the police being the first to instigate physically and against people who have no weapons or aggressive body language. They literally just stood still (often off to the side of the sidewalk, which isn’t a crime) and were pushed. Escalating conflict is not a great way to maintain peace and order.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I'd be curious what training for riots is actually like. Are these police officers just thrown into the fire without training on how to handle it? How many of the officers are fresh newbies, there were a couple new guys in the George Floyd incident. I think we like to assume that these officers are vets of 10+ years with a great deal of training, but I doubt that's the case.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
This board just reflects the nation, which is why these actions have been allowed to occur for so long. People seriously believe that if a cops does something the person ALWAYS deserves it. I have said multiple times on this board my father was a cop, it was about 60/40 good cops to bad. There were bullies and A-holes that would sit in my housing telling stories about things they have done. Majority of cops are good and I honestly believe that, but while certain acts are swept under the rug and protected, things are going to continue,

Its not like there are more bad cops now then 20 years ago, the only thing that changed is everyone carries a HD camera to record whats really happening.

It's one big reason why there is a massive issue with constantly voting the Ivy League elites into power. Leaders of both parties do no understand the issues. Even if they once came from that area, they are so far removed from it now, they lost sight of what the issues are.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
I'd be curious what training for riots is actually like. Are these police officers just thrown into the fire without training on how to handle it? How many of the officers are fresh newbies, there were a couple new guys in the George Floyd incident. I think we like to assume that these officers are vets of 10+ years with a great deal of training, but I doubt that's the case.
I am not sure age/years of experience matters all that much. Being devoted to doing the right thing and being an emotionally intelligent person would matter a whole lot more. Some people care about and do those things. Some don’t. I bet you can find a great range within all age/experience tiers.

I agree that it would be interesting to knowing how they are trained.

Reactions: bleedblue1223

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
It's one big reason why there is a massive issue with constantly voting the Ivy League elites into power. Leaders of both parties do no understand the issues. Even if they once came from that area, they are so far removed from it now, they lost sight of what the issues are.
I think both parties understand the issues. However, they are just more interested in exploiting them for personal gain. At least that’s what I can surmise from the information available.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I am not sure age/years of experience matters all that much. Being devoted to doing the right thing and being an emotionally intelligent person would matter a whole lot more. Some people care about and do those things. Some don’t. I bet you can find a great range within all age/experience tiers.

I agree that it would be interesting to knowing how they are trained.
Reason for experience, is I bet inexperienced officers are a lot less likely to stand up or confront or question experienced officers. I'm sure that played a role and will be a defense for some of the George Floyd officers. If Chauvin is training them, is it really realistic for them to question him. Now obviously they should've and I'm not excusing them, but the psychology of it matters I think.

And I'm also not intending to excuse the excessive force actions in the protests/riots, but trying to dig deeper to the real issue. If this is how they are taught and told to handle the situations, then that's the real issue. Since it's so widespread, I have a feeling it's a significant factor. Could also see the psychology of the Stanford Prison experiment applying as well.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I think both parties understand the issues. However, they are just more interested in exploiting them for personal gain. At least that’s what I can surmise from the information available.
Either one, I'm honestly split on it too, both are pretty cynical. The reason I believe it's out of touch and not really understanding is how they also don't understand some of the economic arguments and how they seem to believe that "learn to code" will help the people that lost manufacturing jobs to China. Maybe they do understand and they just genuinely don't care, that seems plausible too. Both are depressing for the state of our politics.

Reagans Blues

Apr 12, 2019
USA

I'd argue there are plenty of people who ALWAYS assume an officer is in the wrong when he uses any kind of force.

Reactions: Pizza!Pizza!

Em etah Eh

Maroon PP
Jul 17, 2007
JFC i thought this was the COVID thread. If I wanted to read a bunch of bickering I would have opened my Facebook feed...

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
Reason for experience, is I bet inexperienced officers are a lot less likely to stand up or confront or question experienced officers. I'm sure that played a role and will be a defense for some of the George Floyd officers. If Chauvin is training them, is it really realistic for them to question him. Now obviously they should've and I'm not excusing them, but the psychology of it matters I think.

And I'm also not intending to excuse the excessive force actions in the protests/riots, but trying to dig deeper to the real issue. If this is how they are taught and told to handle the situations, then that's the real issue. Since it's so widespread, I have a feeling it's a significant factor. Could also see the psychology of the Stanford Prison experiment applying as well.
I would buy the rookie entering the force as being something that limits some degree of being willing to voice up their concerns. But I could also see an elder being unwilling to voice up because they have either been indoctrinated into the culture or because they think it won’t matter.

One major caveat for me here, this is only really understandable to me in relatively minor instances. The Floyd instance doesn’t seem remotely applicable. If you don’t care enough about protecting human life to put yourself out there to prevent a murder, then it doesn’t matter your age, training or experience level.

Reactions: bleedblue1223

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
I'd argue there are plenty of people who ALWAYS assume an officer is in the wrong when he uses any kind of force.
It think you would find most people willing to understand and even accept the use of force in instances that they are protecting their lives or the lives of others from a legitimate threat.

Using force when someone’s life isn’t on the line is a very different matter.

Reactions: izzy

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I would buy the rookie entering the force as being something that limits some degree of being willing to voice up their concerns. But I could also see an elder being unwilling to voice up because they have either been indoctrinated into the culture or because they think it won’t matter.

One major caveat for me here, this is only really understandable to me in relatively minor instances. The Floyd instance doesn’t seem remotely applicable. If you don’t care enough about protecting human life to put yourself out there to prevent a murder, then it doesn’t matter your age, training or experience level.
Agreed.

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
I don’t know about any of that stuff, but I imagine it’s probably a pretty scary and stressful situation to be part of a small group (even if armed) facing an angry mob, or maybe a mixed group of noisy peaceful demonstrators salted with a smaller number of agitators who are throwing stuff and trying to incite. We’ve seen mobs overrun security very easily when things go poorly.

It’s not surprising to me if some of the police in this situation make mistakes.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
I don’t know about any of that stuff, but I imagine it’s probably a pretty scary and stressful situation to be part of a small group (even if armed) facing an angry mob, or maybe a mixed group of noisy peaceful demonstrators salted with a smaller number of agitators who are throwing stuff and trying to incite. We’ve seen mobs overrun security very easily when things go poorly.

It’s not surprising to me if some of the police in this situation make mistakes.

I cannot imagine it’s not stressful. It’s actually probably pretty traumatic. I wouldn’t be surprised if some level of PTSD develops for some or many of those involved. We are not psychological built to handle these things well. As someone who deals with PTSD, I am very aware of that burden and expect that police officers probably have a high degree of it in their profession. I cannot see how they wouldn’t.

I also think that emotional trauma is part of the point of the protests. People should not have to live their lives in fear. Our police forces are seeing some semblance of what the oppressed feel like on a permanent basis. It’s terribly unfortunate it has gotten to this point.

I think it’s fair to point out that the issue goes beyond police, it extends to our justices, our politicians, our businesses and our citizens as a whole. Things don’t get to the point that we have where a sole party (Not talking political parties) responsible. Some parties and individuals assume more of that responsibility, but we all have to look at ourselves and see what roles we did or didn’t play.

Hopefully we can correct these flaws in our society quickly and get everyone healing.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad