Season Officially Suspended -- COVID-19/Coronavirus Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
Figured this could probably use its own thread at this point. Lots still up in the air but with NBA/NCAA Conference Tourneys being cancelled it looks all but certain the NHL is going to face some sort of postponement.

Official:

Strange times, indeed.

Last edited:

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
I changed the title from postponed to suspended, as they carry a slightly different connotation.

While I think we might have seen the last regular season game, I think there is a decent chance that we'll see the playoffs if the situation allows. It's important for everyone involved when it comes to the revenue, so they if the situation in a month is that they are good to resume then we should expect playoff hockey.

Reactions: RORbacon

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I changed the title from postponed to suspended, as they carry a slightly different connotation.

While I think we might have seen the last regular season game, I think there is a decent chance that we'll see the playoffs if the situation allows. It's important for everyone involved when it comes to the revenue, so they if the situation in a month is that they are good to resume then we should expect playoff hockey.
Yeah, as soon as it becomes palatable, play will resume. Could bet 2 weeks, could be longer, we just don't know yet.

While priority now is safety and health, there is the longer-term business side that would be impacted. A massive loss of revenue could potentially lead to a decrease in the salary cap or maybe a stagnant cap. It'll be interesting to see how they handle that. Players will want players signing long-term deals this summer to not get screwed.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
Corona cases have been doubling every 3-4 days. Some of the projections show it will infect millions in a few months. This thing is out of control. Just look at Italy.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Corona cases have been doubling every 3-4 days. Some of the projections show it will infect millions in a few months. This thing is out of control. Just look at Italy.
We can also look at South Korea. The worry is that we are too far behind where South Korea was at a similar point.

Reactions: stlwahoo

TaffyPool

Mar 8, 2019
If they were to cancel the regular season and still plan to do playoffs, the races are tight enough now where you’ll be angering some fan bases, for sure.

One idea for thought experiment — maybe you lock in the standings for the 12 current Division representatives, and do a quick round-robin amongst each conference’s current two Wild Cards and next closest two?

In this way, you’re rewarding the teams who climbed to the top over the season, and giving a competitive chance for the teams closely sniffing the Wild Card spot. And to minimize exposure/travel, have the Wild Card round-robin played in a neutral arena for each conference — with or without fans — over, say, 10 days. This model really only leaves Florida out as sacrifice...

Following the round robin round to lock in Wild Cards for each conference, you proceed with standard playoff format — maybe as best of 5 in first round (or first and second?).

What are your thoughts on this? Seems a good middle ground to me!

Reactions: Zezel’s Pretzels

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I wonder what the agreement would be for contracts if new playoffs go past July 1st, or if that would be the date that anything would have to get completed by.

Spektre

Apr 10, 2010
Krynn
well-this-sucks-2474881.png

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
I wonder what the agreement would be for contracts if new playoffs go past July 1st, or if that would be the date that anything would have to get completed by.
There were tweets that teams were asked to provide dates through the end of July. I'd say if Coronavirus continues to run rampant enough that the season would go into August would just result in a cancellation and things would shift focus to just restarting next season as usual.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
We can also look at South Korea. The worry is that we are too far behind where South Korea was at a similar point.
It's really difficult to talk about South Korea and China, because they're responses were pretty good. The thing is that both shut down schools in affected regions. While children don't get severe symptoms, they do catch this. There is some data that suggests that those who have it are most infectious when they have no/mild symptoms. Being slow to close schools might be a signficant issue here.

Countries in central and Eastern Europe, where there haven't been many cases, now seem to being proactive in their approach. While Western Europe is being reactive, and the data seems to be following Italy. These approaches aren't too surprising, the economic impacts being bigger in Western Europe makes them more cautious to be proactive.
I think something could be worked out if that was the plan. The NHLPA is going to want the revenue, and an agreement on the contracts can be tacked on.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
If they were to cancel the regular season and still plan to do playoffs, the races are tight enough now where you’ll be angering some fan bases, for sure.

One idea for thought experiment — maybe you lock in the standings for the 12 current Division representatives, and do a quick round-robin amongst each conference’s current two Wild Cards and next closest two?

In this way, you’re rewarding the teams who climbed to the top over the season, and giving a competitive chance for the teams closely sniffing the Wild Card spot. And to minimize exposure/travel, have the Wild Card round-robin played in a neutral arena for each conference — with or without fans — over, say, 10 days. This model really only leaves Florida out as sacrifice...

Following the round robin round to lock in Wild Cards for each conference, you proceed with standard playoff format — maybe as best of 5 in first round (or first and second?).

What are your thoughts on this? Seems a good middle ground to me!
Something like this would probably need to happen. Winnipeg are fourth in the Central and sixth in the Western Conference on points, but if we adjust to PPG then they are fifth in the Central and ninth in the West. I can't see them allowing a team to be bumped out like that.

If we're just looking at this from a Blues perspective, going straight to the playoffs wouldn't be a terrible result. We'd be #1 seed in the West, we'd have Calgary in the first round if it is based on PPG and the time off probably helps us the most, considering last season. Our game is also one that should find it's rhythm quite quickly.

Obviously we hope it doesn't come to that because of all the other things that that would mean, hopefully we're back in a couple of weeks.

Reactions: TaffyPool

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
If they decide down the road to abbreviate the playoffs, the Blues are in an enviable position being 1st in their division and 1st in the Western Conference.

If they decide to reduce the number of playoff rounds to 3, it would likely reduce the field to the top two teams in each division. If they reduce to 2 rounds and start with the Conference Final round, it would be us vs. Vegas and Boston vs. Washington. If they get desperate to crown a champion and just go to a West vs. East SCF, it would be a rematch with Boston.

I do feel, though, that before they reduced the number of playoff rounds, they would probably consider doing Best of 5 series for 3 rounds and a 7 game SCF before they start with a Round of 8 playoff.

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
It's really difficult to talk about South Korea and China, because they're responses were pretty good. The thing is that both shut down schools in affected regions. While children don't get severe symptoms, they do catch this. There is some data that suggests that those who have it are most infectious when they have no/mild symptoms. Being slow to close schools might be a signficant issue here.

Countries in central and Eastern Europe, where there haven't been many cases, now seem to being proactive in their approach. While Western Europe is being reactive, and the data seems to be following Italy. These approaches aren't too surprising, the economic impacts being bigger in Western Europe makes them more cautious to be proactive.

I think something could be worked out if that was the plan. The NHLPA is going to want the revenue, and an agreement on the contracts can be tacked on.

Yep, schools have been shut down here in the Czech Republic and any public gathering of more than 30 people is forbidden. Restaurants must close at 8 pm and all sporting events have been canceled. Strange times, indeed. Hope everyone knows what they are doing.

Davimir Tarablad

Sep 16, 2015
Woah...it’s been a weird year these last 3 months
What a perfect way to kick off the decade.

parade.2 is a go, folks

giphy.gif
I have a feeling the parade is cancelled too :(

I have this feeling that if the NBA and NHL didn't share buildings, games would still be played, just without an audience and the players would be quarantined in between games. But it's impossible to ensure players aren't infected right now, when a couple NBA players have tested positive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->