Confirmed with Link: Scuderi for Daley

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joejosh999

Mar 13, 2014
I actually wonder what kind of "locker room standing" Scuderi really had.
With the way he lobbed shots at his teammates I can't think it was too high.

The front office is another matter of course.

Fordy

May 28, 2008
a win win trade for chicago is they get a pick back, not scuderi. it's only not as terrible as it should be because they later shuffled things around to call up an actual good player

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
I actually wonder what kind of "locker room standing" Scuderi really had.
With the way he lobbed shots at his teammates I can't think it was too high.

The front office is another matter of course.

Yeah I don't think his hypocritical media call-outs were endearing him to anyone.

I get the impression that a lot of the coaches around the league still don't really understand that blind dumps are turnovers. There is still that mindset that 5 blind dumps to the blue line are better than 1 puck moving mistake and 4 controlled breakouts. Scuds still hasn't found a puck he couldn't chip off the glass.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I think people are afraid to like Daley or something, but he's a been a good player since he's been here. Not just "live body", but a legitimately good 4/5 in my opinion. Does he have his warts? Sure, but on this team, in this system, with the forwards we have, he is a really nice fit.

It's JR's best trade based on what I've seen. Small sample size so things can change of course.

For sure. I've missed the last couple games, but I liked what I saw prior to that. I'm not sure why there was such apprehension here to begin with.

It was like people were happy to get rid of Scuds but thought Daley had fallen off the proverbial cliff after last year. He always represented a big upgrade in exactly the areas we needed.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
I actually don't care if it's a win-win or a lose-lose or a draw-draw or what. The only thing that moved my needle was having Chicago fans tell us 30 seconds after the trade that Scuderi wasn't nearly as bad as we were saying and then 5 games into his -2836 corsi career (in Chicago alone), that he was a perfectly-good #6 and we didn't know what we were talking about.

Fordy

May 28, 2008
it seems to me that most of the other team boards, and obviously chicago after seeing what the thought of scuderi, are exactly what we make fun of /r/penguins for being. it's just a bunch of people that want to root for the team. idk if this board is a total anomaly but there are posters here that raise valid points, whose assessments i trust, who you can actually learn something from, and obviously we were right for years about where this team was heading. but the chicago board at least is just a bunch of rubes rooting for their guys

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
it seems to me that most of the other team boards, and obviously chicago after seeing what the thought of scuderi, are exactly what we make fun of /r/penguins for being. it's just a bunch of people that want to root for the team. idk if this board is a total anomaly but there are posters here that raise valid points, whose assessments i trust, who you can actually learn something from, and obviously we were right for years about where this team was heading. but the chicago board at least is just a bunch of rubes rooting for their guys

No, from my snooping, this board is not an anomaly. If anything the Chicago one might be for hfboards, but I'm sure they have valid criticisms happening, too.

Some boards have a lot of pos of posters, though.

hooverdam

Feb 21, 2013
I can't imagine Letang liked Scuderi much, since I feel like most of the shots Scuderi took at his teammates were directed at him (and Crosby to a certain extent). There was that game where Letang was arguing a call and per Pierre McGuire, Scuderi told Letang to shut up and get in the box. Then later on he had that comment about how Zatkoff (I think?) never complains about when things are tough or whatever and how the Penguins could use more of that.

He had his general thing about throwing everyone else under the bus after losses, but those two moments really stuck out at me as moments that can't have endeared him to the room. We can say what we want about Letang, but the team to a man seems to be very loyal to him.

Fordy

May 28, 2008
No, from my snooping, this board is not an anomaly. If anything the Chicago one might be for hfboards, but I'm sure they have valid criticisms happening, too.

Some boards have a lot of pos of posters, though.

probably true. chicago's reaction to scuderi is basically the only time i've really looked at another team's board

TheSniper26

Oct 2, 2005
Youngstown
It's mind boggling how some Hawks fans still want to deny that it was a bad trade.

Not to me. There's a certain breed of fan that just refuses to admit when their team ****s up. Like a bunch of little Steigys but without the monetary incentive to act that way. Even here we had a few scattered people defending the Despres/Lovejoy deal. Granted, it was a very small minority but it was there.

With Chicago going through the success they've had, I'm assuming their board is steeped in this type of bandwagon sheep at the moment. Let them have a few years of misery and that type will get whittled away pretty quick.

Last edited:

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
This trade had nothing to do about them trying to get value for Daley and all about getting cap relief. Scuds was just the guy they had to take so we could retain money on him. they traded an asset they didn't need (daley) for cap space in the form of getting scuds at 2/3rd the cost. That they played him afterwards was irrelevant... they likely just want ed to see what he had left before calling up one of their younger D that earned a spot

Kristopher Letang

RIP Nipsey
Mar 7, 2013
Montréal, QC
Not to me. There's a certain breed of fan that just refuses to admit when their team ****s up. Like a bunch of little Steigys but without the monetary incentive to act that way. Even here we had a few scattered people defending the Despres/Lovejoy deal. Granted, it was a very small minority but it was there.

With Chicago going through the success they've had, I'm assuming their board is steeped in this type of bandwagon sheep at the moment. Let them have a few years of misery and that type will get whittled away pretty quick.

Really? I thought Hfboards died that day everyone was in shock lol I'm gonna re-read the trade thread now lol

Edit: Took me few pages to find some, I have no words.

Last edited:

TheSniper26

Oct 2, 2005
Youngstown
Really? I thought Hfboards died that day everyone was in shock lol I'm gonna re-read the trade thread now lol

I don't know about the day the trade happened specifically but over time there were definitely people that bought into DK's "OMG he's not Bobby Orr!!" straw man nonsense.

DoktorZaius

Feb 7, 2013
This trade had nothing to do about them trying to get value for Daley and all about getting cap relief. Scuds was just the guy they had to take so we could retain money on him. they traded an asset they didn't need (daley) for cap space in the form of getting scuds at 2/3rd the cost. That they played him afterwards was irrelevant... they likely just want ed to see what he had left before calling up one of their younger D that earned a spot
I was just surprised the Hawks couldn't get better value for Daley. Then again, the lesson of last offseason is that cap space is king, so I guess that's why a deal like this can happen.

Gold Diamond

Watermarks
Jul 11, 2008
Coatesville, PA
For all of Daley's warts, he's still an asset.

Scuderi was, for all intents and purposes, NOT. This trade was world-shattering for this team - we cut out a huge cancer that was infecting this team and added a quality asset in exchange.

Pens benefit way more than the Hawks from this trade. Thanks Chicago.

Joejosh999

Mar 13, 2014
I am wondering as mentioned above how big a locker room issue Scud was.
If as bad as you might imagine, this trade was a W the minute he packed his bags no matter who was the return.
The fact that JR did it on game day with Scud In the lineup just makes me love the old curmudgeon lol....

sf expat71

Nov 10, 2008
Atlantic Ocean
If as bad as you might imagine, this trade was a W the minute he packed his bags no matter who was the return.
The fact that JR did it on game day with Scud In the lineup just makes me love the old curmudgeon lol....

Even if he was locker room gold, "this trade was a W the minute he packed his bags" because we no longer have to see him suiting up for the Pens. He is so bad. So bad.

Joejosh999

Mar 13, 2014
Anyway, honest Hawks fans will admit soon enough how bad he is. I know a couple and they're both totally gobsmacked at the trade.
But CHI is more than deep enough to absorb him without much of a hiccup, and he'll be a bad memory playing in the minors soon enough I expect.
Til they buy him out this summer.

tbassett

Jun 12, 2014
Barnesboro, PA

It's funny you mention that. When I heard Steigy mention he was a late scratch for a nano-second I thought wow that's really odd, maybe he's involved in a trade. But then I came back into reality and said, well there's no way. That would be absolutely impossible.

When I saw the tweet toward the end of the second period I lost my mind. We may have lost the game that night. But we won in the game of life.

cajal

Go Pens!
Dec 13, 2007
Miskatonic U
I actually don't care if it's a win-win or a lose-lose or a draw-draw or what. The only thing that moved my needle was having Chicago fans tell us 30 seconds after the trade that Scuderi wasn't nearly as bad as we were saying and then 5 games into his -2836 corsi career (in Chicago alone), that he was a perfectly-good #6 and we didn't know what we were talking about.

That's because many fans of teams having current success (cups) think that they know more about hockey than fans from other teams. That's not something unique to Chicago fans, you see that all over these boards.

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
The fact that Daley was the main piece the Hawks received back for Sharp kind of makes this a disaster, in the grand scheme.

They turned Sharp, who seemingly had value, into Daley and Garbutt, and then Daley turned into Scuderi. Just thinking about that (Sharp to Scuderi in two trades) makes your head spin, but now Scuderi may just turn into more cap space.

Couldnt they just have moved Sharp for some picks and avoided this? Or was Sharp's value that low during the summer? I have to think he would have fetched a second rounder from a team that could take him on, at least.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
The fact that Daley was the main piece the Hawks received back for Sharp kind of makes this a disaster, in the grand scheme.

They turned Sharp, who seemingly had value, into Daley and Garbutt, and then Daley turned into Scuderi. Just thinking about that (Sharp to Scuderi in two trades) makes your head spin, but now Scuderi may just turn into more cap space.

Couldnt they just have moved Sharp for some picks and avoided this? Or was Sharp's value that low during the summer? I have to think he would have fetched a second rounder from a team that could take him on, at least.

It's difficult to move players with significant cap hits without taking salary back. But, I do think Chicago thought Daley was a good piece for their defense. They obviously gave up pretty quickly but I wonder how much of it was due to Daley asking for a trade.

joeyjake5

Feb 23, 2014
Shero should have never signed scuds in the first place.

JR should have bought out scuds in June 2014.

JR should have bought out scuds in june 2015.

These were all gigantic mistakes.

And maybe if there were no scuds on the team the SD trade would not have been made. Just maybe.

Any way you look at it, having scuds on this team for 2 1/2 years and trading SD, really effed this team and its D.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Shero should have never signed scuds in the first place.

JR should have bought out scuds in June 2014.

JR should have bought out scuds in june 2015.

These were all gigantic mistakes.

And maybe if there were no scuds on the team the SD trade would not have been made. Just maybe.

Any way you look at it, having scuds on this team for 2 1/2 years and trading SD, really effed this team and its D.

Do you understand the cap implications of buying a player out?

This deal was MUCH more beneficial than a buy out in June 2014 and still more beneficial than a June 2015 buy out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad