Confirmed with Link: Scuderi for Daley

Status
Not open for further replies.

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
Nobody here takes issue with calling it a win-win if you want. Some here take issue with Hawks fans pretending Scuderi has some kind of hockey related value when he clearly doesn't. He's a garbage player. Pretending otherwise illustrates that Hawks fans are every bit as concerned with "winning" the trade as Pens fans. But thanks for taking time out of your day to stop by and tell us how sad we are. :laugh:

Ugh, I wish I was as articulate as some of you guys. This was perfectly put.

Fordy

May 28, 2008
we don't come back in that game if you replace daley with scuderi imo. that's so much lost momentum over the course of a game

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Ugh, I wish I was as articulate as some of you guys. This was perfectly put.

I don't even have issue with the wishful thinking some feel the need to have to try and make lemonade out of sour lemons. A few hundred thousand in gained cap space is not going to polish a turd into a diamond. Anymore than Lovejoy being an ok bottom pairing defender makes the Despres trade tolerable. That said, as long as they keep it to the main and their boards and do not come here and try to convince me that Scuderi is 'not as bad as we led them to believe' or that this one is not solidly in JR's win column I am fine with whatever they tell themselves elsewhere. That abortion of a 'ain't Kessel bad' thread comes to mind more than this situation as an example of that. I rarely venture there to see it and if I do that is on me for going there.

Fordy

May 28, 2008
I think there is a middle ground here. I think Scuds is a little too sure of himself for a guy with little left in this NHL. Some of his comments appear to be calling out teammates, but I never heard him say "I need to be better" or something like that. Orpik was the same way.

But, to your point, he is allowed to speak his mind AND he was always willing to speak to the media so they continue to seek him out. Same thing with Lovejoy. The guy is a thoughtful interviewer and always willing to speak when called upon.

i can honestly say, regardless of how bad they were on the ice here, i never would have disliked orpik and scuderi personally as much as i did if they ever once ended their little call-outs with "and that includes me" or "i need to be better". the last time this came up i googled that phrase with orpik's name and got zero results. i'm sure the same goes for scuderi

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
I know you must understand that players that aren't the most talented can speak their minds. It's a team. That's a high school mentality for someone to speak up on a team and then everyone be like "Well you suck so who cares what you think????". That's ridiculous, and do you really think he didn't know he was at the end of the line when he was here?

I don't mind if the worst player on the team has something to say after a game. I'm not about censorship and never have been.

But at the same time, I'm a firm believer in watching what you say, especially if the criticism you throw at others applies to you tenfold without once acknowledging that fact. If you want to give canned answers like a marginal player in Lovejoy does, it's still annoying, but there's no harm being done. However, when you're consistently the worst player on the team yet constantly point at others as being the problem without once using the word "we," then we're way past the point of the "Well he's on the team so he should be allowed to say what he wants," argument.

That **** is toxic, and you're way, way off about the "high school" mentality don't think it applies to the NHL. Of course pros aren't going to tell a guy he sucks and that he should just shut his mouth, but if you think for a second there's not a ton of eye rolling going on when a guy like Scuderi is constantly spouting off, then I honestly don't know what to tell you.

What's worse is when you talk that way, you're not only being a bad teammate but you're inflating your own sense of self worth which further adds to the problem.

Hossa die Waldfee

Oct 29, 2015
I don't really understand the fascination of winning a trade, especially something so minuscule like this. It's not really that hard to say it was a good move for both teams because in reality it was when you look at why both teams did it.

I think it is pretty easy to understand why some people feel the need to "win" all trades. It gives you the illusion, that your GM is better than all other GM's which in a cap league is the biggest factor (besides luck) in being a good team and being a bad one. Most people want to be positive about their sport team.

You actually see the other side too. Here are some guys arguing Rutherford lost the trade (paying Daley 4,4m and such nonesense). But they are ******** on everything the pens do anyways. They hate ownership, they hate the Rutherford hire and they search for ways to describe his work as **** too. I mean there were guys who thought we played bad last game against you :laugh:

(btw: I understand that the cap savings make it a win for you too, but you can't argue that Scuds is a better player for Chicago than Daley was, can you? :laugh: )

Hossa die Waldfee

Oct 29, 2015
I know you must understand that players that aren't the most talented can speak their minds. It's a team. That's a high school mentality for someone to speak up on a team and then everyone be like "Well you suck so who cares what you think????". That's ridiculous, and do you really think he didn't know he was at the end of the line when he was here?

Speaking his mind and firing shots at your teammates are two very different things. You never fire shots at your teammates, especially not in public. And you never never ever ever fire shots at one of your best teammates if you are the worst. There is a hierarchy in a lockerroom and in most cases it is classified by performance. You don't call out your team if you can't outperform it.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
Yep. Scuderi wasn't being a leader or speaking his mind. He was deflecting, and pissed off because he knows he sucks and was tired of reporters trying to get him to admit it. You keep your mouth shut and worry about yourself, especially when you're arguably the worst player in the league.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Yep. Scuderi wasn't being a leader or speaking his mind. He was deflecting, and pissed off because he knows he sucks and was tired of reporters trying to get him to admit it. You keep your mouth shut and worry about yourself, especially when you're arguably the worst player in the league.

Do you actually think he knows he sucks?

I really believe he thinks he's a valuable player. Why else would he say that stupid "you can't play 6 off dmen thing"? Even in some "get to know the players" segment, they asked players their best attributes and I think Scuderi said 'confidence'.

The dude thinks highly of himself.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
I think he absolutely knows he sucks. He just can't show acknowledgement of it for a second because it could mean his career. Look at how passive-aggressive and angry he got when someone asked him about the blueline makeup this summer. "You can't have six offensive guys! I can still shoot and contribute offensively! I'M A PEOPLE PERSON, DAMMIT! WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE?!" :laugh:

He knows he sucks. There's no way you play professional hockey for 15 years and not know when you've lost it, and you suck. But again, he can't admit or even hint at it.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
It doesn't really mean his career. The worst that can happen is he gets paid millions in the AHL (aka comfort level isn't NHL quality), if the org is so stupid that only him saying he sucks makes them see that then...

Scuds needed to shut up and not draw attention to himself, not become a mouthpiece. He was probably trying to play the media, as the Pens' crappy vets like to do. Some delusion about sucking, but probably more aware of public perception than anything.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
To be fair, Scuderi is an expert at sucking.

So when he calls someone out for sucking he does so from the position of a certifiable expert in the field.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I think he absolutely knows he sucks. He just can't show acknowledgement of it for a second because it could mean his career. Look at how passive-aggressive and angry he got when someone asked him about the blueline makeup this summer. "You can't have six offensive guys! I can still shoot and contribute offensively! I'M A PEOPLE PERSON, DAMMIT! WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE?!" :laugh:

He knows he sucks. There's no way you play professional hockey for 15 years and not know when you've lost it, and you suck. But again, he can't admit or even hint at it.

But as I said yesterday, he's not THAT much worse than he used to be. He just wasn't all that good to begin with, he's slowed down a bit and the game has gone in the other direction.

I don't really care all that much, but I do think Scuds believes he is still a valuable NHL player.

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
Daley was a fairly highly thought of player not long ago. Its easy to lose value in a "what have you done for me lately" league... Chigago got its cap space.. we got a better defenseman.. Both of us got rid of a piece that didnt fit their team or was redundant..

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Nah dawgs, Daley didn't do the "little things" over 30 games. Guy is a bum, doncha know.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I've been impressed with Daley's all around game to be honest. He isn't a dumpster fire in the D zone. Not great defensively or anything, but I don't think he needs to be sheltered all that much. I'm intrigued to see a Dumo-Daley pair at some point.

Also, he has 4 goals in 17 games. That's pretty impressive production.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad