Confirmed with Link: Scuderi for Daley

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greeneye

May 17, 2006
Golden, CO
I still can't believe JR managed to unload Scuds for an actual NHL player. Not having to ever see him play for the Pens again was the best present I rec'd this year.

joeyjake5

Feb 23, 2014
I do but he's gone now and Daley is here. Rejoice!

Yes, Daley is much better than scuds in all aspects of the game, but Daley is costing you $4.3 MM on the cap this year and next. In all honesty, Daley is not now worth $4.3MM. JR had to do this to fix past GIGANTIC mistakes in curing the pens lovefest with scuds. You are right I am rejoicing but it just took too long to get rid of the bum.

PensBandwagonerNo272*

Forgot About Sid
Sep 10, 2012
Yes, Daley is much better than scuds in all aspects of the game, but Daley is costing you $4.3 MM on the cap this year and next. In all honesty, Daley is not now worth $4.3MM. JR had to do this to fix past GIGANTIC mistakes in curing the pens lovefest with scuds. You are right I am rejoicing but it just took too long to get rid of the bum.

You'd still be paying for Scuderi in a buyout situation even though you didn't have Daley at all.

Hossa die Waldfee

Oct 29, 2015
Any thoughts on a possible Dumo-Daley pairing?
Could this wake up Dumo's offensive abilities and shelter Daley defensively?
Positive side effect it could prevent our management from signing Lovejoy to a bad contract. :naughty:

Any hope we will see it for an extended time in the future? I know that the team, right now, gasps for stability, which Dumo-Rev provides ;)

joeyjake5

Feb 23, 2014
Can any one justify what if any possible positive things that Scuds did to improve this team at a cost of $3.3MM for 2 and 1/2 years other than shutting down the pens O while he was on the ice. Why the ell do you think the hawks are now sitting him.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Can any one justify what if any possible positive things that Scuds did to improve this team at a cost of $3.3MM for 2 and 1/2 years other than shutting down the pens O while he was on the ice. Why the ell do you think the hawks are now sitting him.

Well, for one, he gave you something to post about, since that's about all you do. EVEN WHEN HE'S NO LONGER ON THE TEAM.:laugh:

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Yeah I'd much rather have Daley at $4.4 million for this year and next year than have between $800k and $1.7 million in dead cap space for 4 years. It's not even close, it's less of a cap penalty for less years and we got a solid OFD out of it.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010

Okay so buy out Scuderi last summer. He had a total cap hit of 3.375 for 2 more years with salary owed of 3 this season and 2.5 next season.

Since he is over 26, you have to take 2/3 of the the remaining salary and spread over twice the remaining term.

So take 5.5MM times 2/3 and divide by 4 gives you 916,667 on the cap for this season plus 3 more. Then you have to calculate the difference between salary paid and cap hit. Since Scud's cap hit was 3.375 this season versus salary of 3MM, you have to add the difference to the 916,667.

If my math and logic is correct (I searched several places online to confirm the process is correct), then the buy out cap hit this year for Scuds would have been 1,291,667. JR was able to trade Scuderi and is only eating 1,113,750 for 2 more years AND got Daley in return.

Even if my math is wrong, at the very least, Scuds' cap hit would be 920K on the books for this season and 3 more.

So yeah, this trade was significantly better than a buy out.

Hossa die Waldfee

Oct 29, 2015
Yeah I'd much rather have Daley at $4.4 million for this year and next year than have between $800k and $1.7 million in dead cap space for 4 years. It's not even close, it's less of a cap penalty for less years and we got a solid OFD out of it.

I think saying Daley costs us $4.4 million is extremely flawed logic. That would assume Scuderi would be non existent. I guess GMJR should have just shot him?
Scuderi was a black hole at best (imo he was not, he was actively hurting the team) and Daley is not.

Daley has been great, too bad JR couldn't pull this one earlier in the year

NO! Maybe that would have extended HCMJ's time here! :rant:

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Okay so buy out Scuderi last summer. He had a total cap hit of 3.375 for 2 more years with salary owed of 3 this season and 2.5 next season.

Since he is over 26, you have to take 2/3 of the the remaining salary and spread over twice the remaining term.

So take 5.5MM times 2/3 and divide by 4 gives you 916,667 on the cap for this season plus 3 more. Then you have to calculate the difference between salary paid and cap hit. Since Scud's cap hit was 3.375 this season versus salary of 3MM, you have to add the difference to the 916,667.

If my math and logic is correct (I searched several places online to confirm the process is correct), then the buy out cap hit this year for Scuds would have been 1,291,667. JR was able to trade Scuderi and is only eating 1,113,750 for 2 more years AND got Daley in return.

Even if my math is wrong, at the very least, Scuds' cap hit would be 920K on the books for this season and 3 more.

So yeah, this trade was significantly better than a buy out.

Yeah, it's something like that. Buying Scuderi out in the coming off season would have been best for buying him out, but this trade is great. As long as they retained less than buying out would have cost it was a win.

UnrealMachine

Jul 9, 2012
Pittsburgh, USA
We won't know Daley's full value to the team until he starts getting time in the top-4. This is one of the very few times that I wish the Pens would defer to their usual 'advanced cap hit / vet stats' and drop Lovejoy to the bottom pairing.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
We won't know Daley's full value to the team until he starts getting time in the top-4. This is one of the very few times that I wish the Pens would defer to their usual 'advanced cap hit / vet stats' and drop Lovejoy to the bottom pairing.

I don't see him getting top 4 time. I think they see Dumo as the anchor to their shutdown pair. If Lovejoy isn't opposite of him, it's more likely due to an upgrade on Lovejoy rather than Daley.

I think Daley has been valuable enough anchoring his own pairing and getting PP time.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

Putting Daley in the top-4 basically eliminates Dumoulin from being used in a shutdown role, which is how he should be used. Daley is a pretty ideal #5, I don't see any reason to change how he's being used. Too bad we don't have Despres anymore, our D would be set with a Dumoulin-Despres middle pair IMO.

I think saying Daley costs us $4.4 million is extremely flawed logic. That would assume Scuderi would be non existent. I guess GMJR should have just shot him?
Scuderi was a black hole at best (imo he was not, he was actively hurting the team) and Daley is not.

I mean, as far as the Penguins are concerned, Scuderi is non-existent now. I think saying "Daley cost $4.4 million" is just a shortened way of saying "Daley costs us $3.3 million and we have $1.1 million of dead space from Scuderi".

cajal

Go Pens!
Dec 13, 2007
Miskatonic U

But, but... Rev is a Pens vet with a glorious history

UnderratedBrooks44

Sep 13, 2005
Miranda's house
They're comfortable with Dumo and Lovejoy and don't want to break them up. I don't have a problem with that. If Daley is that good then what's the big problem with having a decent player on the third pair? Plus, Lovejoy on the third pair all of a sudden makes him very ordinary and probably no better than anyone else in our scrub pile of bottom pair potentials. At least with Dumoulin he seems to have a good thing going.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad