Confirmed with Link: Scuderi for Daley

Status
Not open for further replies.

SprootsMasterFlex

Sprootsing 4 Life
Apr 20, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
No doubt, the trade worked our for both parties. That's the way it should be. Blackhawks won't realize how bad he really is until they play a good team in the playoffs that'll expose Rob's deficiencies. If they're smart, they just won't dress him. I'm sure TVR can replace his presence.

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
Loving this trade. He really does look like a different player here than in Chicago. He really did suck for them.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
I do not think that it is a coincidence that the pens have gone 3 for 6 on the PP the last two games.

After having the second worst PP in the league.

Even with Crosby out of the game yesterday.

Yes, I know, small sample size. However, the ol' eye test thing. Having a PP QB who actually is willing to shoot the puck, can hit the net, and hell face it just not flub the pass and have the puck go out of the zone over and over, or worse create an odd man break the other way.

It is like night and day, and Daley is a big part of that.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Daley can skate. He can move the puck. He can put pucks on net. He's infinitely, immeasurably better than Scuderi. He's not even as bad defensively as people made him out to be. Certainly not as bad as Lovejoy, Cole, or Scuderi was in his own end.

You are too hard on Lovejoy and Cole. Both are better in the D zone than Daley without the puck. Daley is better with the puck on his stick.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I do not think that it is a coincidence that the pens have gone 3 for 6 on the PP the last two games.

After having the second worst PP in the league.

Even with Crosby out of the game yesterday.

Yes, I know, small sample size. However, the ol' eye test thing. Having a PP QB who actually is willing to shoot the puck, can hit the net, and hell face it just not flub the pass and have the puck go out of the zone over and over, or worse create an odd man break the other way.

It is like night and day, and Daley is a big part of that.

Absolutely. The way he walks the line with the puck on his stick has been huge. Letang, in addition to not being able to hit a soccer net with his shot, mostly stands still with the puck at the point. You need movement and Daley has the ability to skate with the puck and remain a shooting and passing threat like we haven't had since Gonch. Not at Gonch level of course, but much better than Tanger.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
You are too hard on Lovejoy and Cole. Both are better in the D zone than Daley without the puck. Daley is better with the puck on his stick.

I will politely agree to disagree. Lovejoy is horrendous in his own end, same with Cole. Neither as bad as Scuderi, but awful nonetheless. :laugh:

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Nobody actually thinks that Letang gets pulled off the first unit, do they? The best we can hope for is that they somehow find a way to hide him... maybe on the LHB, or something. They aren't going to put 7+ million dollars on the second unit. Barring another "equal" split powerplay abomination.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
Well you're wrong, but it doesn't matter because I don't care all that much for either of them anyway :laugh:

I haven't even noticed Daley in the defensive zone. That alone makes him not as bad defensively as Lovejoy or Cole, whom I notice, with regularity, failing miserably in their own end. :laugh:

Don't mistake my posts for a defense of Daley's defensive game. All I've noticed of him has been in transition and getting pucks to the net. He could be terrible defensively, but it's not as blatantly apparent as Lovejoy or Cole.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Nobody actually thinks that Letang gets pulled off the first unit, do they? The best we can hope for is that they somehow find a way to hide him... maybe on the LHB, or something. They aren't going to put 7+ million dollars on the second unit. Barring another "equal" split powerplay abomination.

No I don't but he should be. That or he takes the Kessel spot and they run 2 D. Actually, let's try that. Go

---------Net--------
------Hornqvist
Letang---------Malkin
---------Daley

Crosby as down low or rover.

Then let Warsofsky, if still around, run the 2nd unit with Kessel, Bones, Sheary, Perron/Kunitz

I know it won't happen, but Letang can't be QB with Daley here. He's just not good at it, like, at all.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I dunno how eager I am to let Hornqvist loaf around on the first unit, either... all things being equal. His net front ability is all but reputation, these days. I'd give that spot to Perron on merit, for now.

Otherwise... I like that setup. It's the best we can hope for.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
I dunno how eager I am to let Hornqvist loaf around on the first unit, either... all things being equal. His net front ability is all but reputation, these days. I'd give that spot to Perron on merit, for now.

As soon as this team starts to utilize Hornqvist properly, his value will become apparent again.

The dude forechecks hard, sets up shop around the net and makes life Hell for defensemen and goalies. Maybe if we'd control the puck for more than 3-5 seconds in the offensive zone before firing wildly and catching glass, which then sees the puck going the other way, we'd get value out of Hornqvist. :laugh:

Every shift is enter the zone--maybe--then get antsy and fire off a shot. Then, it's either wide/high and loose, which Hornqvist has to go dig for, or it's around the boards and cleared. Either way, no time to set things up, for Hornqvist or anyone else to be a legit threat in the offensive zone. /shrug

A lot of the problems with this team are very much coachable or can be fixed by the coach. Sid's over-complication of every single play he tries to make. The lack of puck possession and extended pressure in the offensive zone. Misguided line combos and TOI distribution. I think Sullivan's doing an alright job, and he'll hopefully get better as time moves on and he becomes more comfortable and familiar with the team.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve

Iirc, Bylsma replaced him with Martin one season. So, maybe?

They really need to come to terms with Letang's PP deficiencies. I know he's great for when they **** up and the puck goes the other way but he's also the cause of a good number of those. Either give him his own PP or send him out right after the PP ends and let the other team worry about him. If he wants to be a baby about it show him a video of the old double clutch, miss the net, hit shins and passing fails he racks up. I won't complain about his salary and not being on PP1 if I don't have to watch him do it.

There's 4 defenseman less likely to **** up in so many ways ways on a PP. Daley, Warsofsky, Maatta and Dumoulin are all less likely to deliver the Letang combo every night and Pouliot is in WBS.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010

I'm cool with that too. I just have to think Hornqvist does something of use there eventually.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
As soon as this team starts to utilize Hornqvist properly, his value will become apparent again.

The dude forechecks hard, sets up shop around the net and makes life Hell for defensemen and goalies. Maybe if we'd control the puck for more than 3-5 seconds in the offensive zone before firing wildly and catching glass, which then sees the puck going the other way, we'd get value out of Hornqvist. :laugh:

Every shift is enter the zone--maybe--then get antsy and fire off a shot. Then, it's either wide/high and loose, which Hornqvist has to go dig for, or it's around the boards and cleared. Either way, no time to set things up, for Hornqvist or anyone else to be a legit threat in the offensive zone. /shrug

A lot of the problems with this team are very much coachable or can be fixed by the coach. Sid's over-complication of every single play he tries to make. The lack of puck possession and extended pressure in the offensive zone. Misguided line combos and TOI distribution. I think Sullivan's doing an alright job, and he'll hopefully get better as time moves on and he becomes more comfortable and familiar with the team.

I generally agree, but Hornqvist needs to bury a chance in front one of these games. Standing in front as a screen is helpful, but if you can't finish any of these second chances, your value goes down.

We can say this about a lot of guys, but for Hornqvist specifically, I'm not happy paying 4+MM for a guy that's good at standing in front and not much else.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
A lot of the reason the line that Hornqvist is on CANNOT control the puck for longer than a handful of seconds... is often because of Hornqvist. I appreciate his ability to make a beeline for the net (whilst totally ignoring what his linemates are doing) and get beat on every shift... but if he can't help facilitate the offense on his line as a supposed scoring forward then the onus is on him as much as it's on the other guys playing with him. I haven't seen any coaching or usage issues with Horns, really. He plays like he always plays. Perhaps he's just not a good fit on this team? I know he played well with Crosby near the start of last year. But... I mean... it WAS a limited sample size. Then again... so is this.

I'm rambling. But to sum up -- no bueno.

There's 4 defenseman less likely to **** up in so many ways ways on a PP. Daley, Warsofsky, Maatta and Dumoulin are all less likely to deliver the Letang combo every night and Pouliot is in WBS.

True enough.

Deliver us from Letang's stupidity, Gonchar. Work your magic.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
I generally agree, but Hornqvist needs to bury a chance in front one of these games. Standing in front as a screen is helpful, but if you can't finish any of these second chances, your value goes down.

We can say this about a lot of guys, but for Hornqvist specifically, I'm not happy paying 4+MM for a guy that's good at standing in front and not much else.

I don't disagree, but how many chances has he realistically gotten? It feels like most shifts are the same; enter the zone (eventually), look around, don't see a perfect play, fire it at the net from some awful angle that's either blocked, wide, high or sent to the corner.

I'd love for Hornqvist to capitalize, and I agree that we can't pay a ton for a guy who isn't doing much of anything. I just don't think we're exactly playing the type of game that takes advantage of the skill set of someone like Hornqvist. There's absolutely no patience or calm to anyone's game in the offensive zone, save for Geno.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
A lot of the reason the line that Hornqvist is on CANNOT control the puck for longer than a handful of seconds... is often because of Hornqvist. I appreciate his ability to make a beeline for the net (whilst totally ignoring what his linemates are doing) and get beat on every shift... but if he can't help facilitate the offense on his line as a supposed scoring forward then the onus is on him as much as it's on the other guys playing with him. I haven't seen any coaching or usage issues with Horns, really. He plays like he always plays. Perhaps he's just not a good fit on this team? I know he played well with Crosby near the start of last year. But... I mean... it WAS a limited sample size. Then again... so is this.

I'm rambling. But to sum up -- no bueno.

I mean, listen, if you're asking or expecting Hornqvist to handle the puck and blow through defenders, or dangle through guys' legs to set up chances, you're gonna have a **** time.

Hornqvist is what he is. A bull in front of the net and along the boards who works his ass off and makes life Hell for defensemen and goalies. He's not gonna be your cycle-monster. He's not gonna run the give and go. He's gonna set up shop if given time, draw the attention of a defenseman away from our other forwards, and he's gonna attempt to clean up rebounds or chip the puck back to one of our guys around the crease.

Expecting or asking him to do other things is like asking Kessel to set up for one-timers on the PP. It's dumb, and completely negates his effectiveness.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
No no no no no... I'm not expecting Hornqvist to stickhandle through defenders, blow through guys with his blinding speed or launch top shelf laser beams on the powerplay. That isn't at all what I'm saying. I'm looking for ANY offensive awareness. Period. As a "top six wing on any team" -- I don't think that's asking the moon and stars.

His chip off the boards to Malkin for the EN was perhaps the craftiest thing he's done offensively all year. Yikes.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
No no no no no... I'm not expecting Hornqvist to stickhandle through defenders or blow through guys. That isn't at all what I'm saying. I'm looking for ANY offensive awareness. Period. As a "top six wing on any team" -- I don't think that's asking the moon and stars.

/shrug

He's a unique type of player. You get Sid holding on to the puck and shooting more instead of forcing passes through 84 guys in between the circles, and you put someone like Kessel or Bennett on the other wing, and you've got a Hell of a line.

72-87-19/81

Give that line a solid go for half a dozen games, and if Sid's head is out of his ass, it'll shine.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
/shrug

He's a unique type of player. You get Sid holding on to the puck and shooting more instead of forcing passes through 84 guys in between the circles, and you put someone like Kessel or Bennett on the other wing, and you've got a Hell of a line.

72-87-19/81

Give that line a solid go for half a dozen games, and if Sid's head is out of his ass, it'll shine.

Sure but let's not pretend Hornqvist hasn't sucked this year. Last year he was scoring goals off the rush, in the paint, in the slot, etc. His shot was pretty impressive. This year he can barely handle a pass. He has had several point blank chances in the past few games and hasn't buried one. Maybe it's coming. I hope it's coming, but he's been disappointing.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
Sure but let's not pretend Hornqvist hasn't sucked this year. Last year he was scoring goals off the rush, in the paint, in the slot, etc. His shot was pretty impressive. This year he can barely handle a pass. He has had several point blank chances in the past few games and hasn't buried one. Maybe it's coming. I hope it's coming, but he's been disappointing.

Who's pretending he hasn't been bad? :laugh:

Every single forward on this team outside of Geno and Bennett have been bad. Hell, outside of Geno, Bennett, Cullen, Dumo, and Fleury, every single player on this team has been terrible for the vast majority of the season. :laugh:

Joejosh999

Mar 13, 2014
Jeebus Hornquist has sucked cos under MJ how often does he actually get to the front of the opponents net to create havoc during extended possessions? Never.
Honestly, Hornquist, like Perron, like Kessel (well last night gives hope) , like Cole and basically ALL our Fs simply fell off a cliff since early 2015 w MJ. Let's wait and see what happens with Mike II.

Joejosh999

Mar 13, 2014
As for Letang losing the 1PPQB slot, well, I see that as an important test for MS.
Anyone could see for the last several seasons that Letang does not have what it takes, in multiple areas, to elevate this PP. Though in fairness there are many issues.

I agree with prior posters who say the huge 7+mil contract for Letang was franchise-altering, and not in a good way. I've been waiting for the poor guy to get some smarts and it isn't happening. When he loses a step, it's gonna be ugly, but this is all another conversation.

Letang v Daley as PPQB? A very telling decision for Mike II.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011

He's started going to the high slot and taking one timers the past few games. I think if he keeps doing that those will start going in because Malkin was finding him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad