Confirmed with Link: Scuderi for Daley

Status
Not open for further replies.

UnderratedBrooks44

Sep 13, 2005
Miranda's house
I was ok with Rob the standup guy until this year when he refused a trade and especially that offensive D men quote. He's clearly more than a little delusional, and I don't see how calling all the other D men "offensive" is a team thing to say. Here is the quote exactly, Yohe asked him if he expects to be in the top 6 opening night (and he wasn't playing with an NHL D man at this point in camp):

“I would certainly hope so,” Scuderi told me. “Yes, there’s a lot of young talent on this blue line, no question. And that’s great. That’s all part of it. But I’ve never heard of a team out there that’s decided to go with six offensive defensemen.”

“I know what I can bring to a hockey team,” Scuderi passionately stated. “I know, offensively, I don’t have the talent these other guys do. But, you know what? I can support the play just like anybody else. I can shoot the puck and create some opportunities for our forwards.”

Blame who gave him the NTC. He doesn't have to do anything that's not in his contract. He bears exactly zero blame for not wanting to waive.

In terms of the quotes, I don't know why you guys continue to analyze any of that stuff from any player. It's all half-assed boring questions from these dope reporters who just want a sound byte/something to pad their article, and the players are just coming up with something, anything to say.

joeyjake5

Feb 23, 2014
Some on this thread have said it would have been wrong to buy out scuds in June 14 or june 15 and here are the facts that say they are wrong.

If bought out in 6-14, pens would have saved 2.9MM in cap space in 2014, 1.9MM in 2015, and 1.4MM in 2016. And in years 17-19 the pens would eat 1.055MM each year.

If bought out in 6-15, pens would have saved 2.083MM in cap space this year and in 2016 they would have saved 1.583MM in cap space and in 17-and 18 the pens would have to eat 916MM in cap space.

The above figures are taken from Generalfanager.com.

Now the combination of scuds poor play last year and what you can do with the cap savings is why you buy the bum out. In 2014, the cap savings would have paid for SD's, Dumos and chorney's plus they would have given you better production. This year the cap savings would have paid for better production. The cap increases 17-19 would have taken care of the additional 1MM cap hit.

Imo, scuds should have been bought out in 2014 and the 2.9MM in cap savings last year and 1.9MM this year would have paid for 2 D's that are considerably better than scuds. EG, having SD, Dumo, Chorney would have been an upgrade over scuds last year. Which way should have the pens gone.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Some on this thread have said it would have been wrong to buy out scuds in June 14 or june 15 and here are the facts that say they are wrong.

If bought out in 6-14, pens would have saved 2.9MM in cap space in 2014, 1.9MM in 2015, and 1.4MM in 2016. And in years 17-19 the pens would eat 1.055MM each year.

If bought out in 6-15, pens would have saved 2.083MM in cap space this year and in 2016 they would have saved 1.583MM in cap space and in 17-and 18 the pens would have to eat 916MM in cap space.

The above figures are taken from Generalfanager.com.

And by doing what they did, they're saving $2.2 million this year and next and they're completely off the hook with him after next year. So you're still wrong, this trade was by far the best case scenario for dealing with Scuderi.

Instead of saying the savings, why don't you mention the cost? Buying out Scuderi in 2014 would have cost us $500k in 2014, $1.5 million in 2015, $2 million this year and the $1.055 million for the next 3 years. That's 5 years of having over a million of dead cap space. Buying out Scuderi in 2015 would have cost us $1.3 million this year, $1.8 million next year and the $916k for the next 2 years. Doing the actual trade cost the Pens $1.1 million for 2 years and they got a solid OFD out of it. You're way wrong on this.

Winger for Hire

Praise Beebo
Dec 9, 2013
Quarantine Zone 5
$3mil ($1.5mil for 2 blueliners) in cap savings isn't going to get you anything of note... mostly guys over the hill, more likely to be Scuds-in-Trainings.

But I think the trade has been shown earlier in the tread to end up as the best possible scenario... more money saved this year and no extra dead cap space in later years, all while getting a suitable upgrade over Scuderi.

joeyjake5

Feb 23, 2014
And by doing what they did, they're saving $2.2 million this year and next and they're completely off the hook with him after next year. So you're still wrong, this trade was by far the best case scenario for dealing with Scuderi.

Instead of saying the savings, why don't you mention the cost? Buying out Scuderi in 2014 would have cost us $500k in 2014, $1.5 million in 2015, $2 million this year and the $1.055 million for the next 3 years. That's 5 years of having over a million of dead cap space. Buying out Scuderi in 2015 would have cost us $1.3 million this year, $1.8 million next year and the $916k for the next 2 years. Doing the actual trade cost the Pens $1.1 million for 2 years and they got a solid OFD out of it. You're way wrong on this.

And I just hoped that you loved the last 1 and 1/2 years of scuds play with the pens.

ETA

Aug 8, 2008
I love every time this thread get bumped, just reading the title make me happy.

I find myself periodically saying "Scuderi is gone!" to myself -- it still seems unreal.

That we got a player back who seems to be an actual asset is just gravy...

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
And I just hoped that you loved the last 1 and 1/2 years of scuds play with the pens.

I'd take Scuderi playing on the Pens for a season and a quarter to get Daley and the least negative cap penalty easily. It's not like Scuderi prevented us from accomplishing anything, we would have still stunk with or without him over the last year and a quarter.

This isn't even remotely close, the way the situation played out was by far the best case scenario. Scuderi playing an additional season and a quarter here doesn't change that.

joeyjake5

Feb 23, 2014
I'd take Scuderi playing on the Pens for a season and a quarter to get Daley and the least negative cap penalty easily. It's not like Scuderi prevented us from accomplishing anything, we would have still stunk with or without him over the last year and a quarter.

This isn't even remotely close, the way the situation played out was by far the best case scenario. Scuderi playing an additional season and a quarter here doesn't change that.

Well then you should never complain about any pen player in the future.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I'm not entirely sure why this thread was revived... but no matter. I just wanted to add that this is by far the best trade of the last few years for this team. Scuderi with salary retained for future considerations would have been the best trade in a few years. The absolute definition of "addition by subtraction." The way he was inexplicably used on this team will continue to give me nightmares for some time.

Notice that Chicago tried him out for decent minutes for a few games and promptly started to shelter him. And then scratch him. That rather nicely illustrates the level of stupidity we were dealing with, here.

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
Blame who gave him the NTC. He doesn't have to do anything that's not in his contract. He bears exactly zero blame for not wanting to waive.

In terms of the quotes, I don't know why you guys continue to analyze any of that stuff from any player. It's all half-assed boring questions from these dope reporters who just want a sound byte/something to pad their article, and the players are just coming up with something, anything to say.

The **** with that.

More than once he took shots at teammates after bad losses, never holding himself accountable for being the worst player on the ice.

After the Jersey game, he talked about Zatkoff being a guy who battles and doesn't complain and then said "We could use more than that." That wasn't some cliched answer, he was taking shots at the two guys who have carried the team on their backs for ten years.

No his contract wasn't his fault, but the rest was. The guy was a piece of **** and I'm glad he's gone.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
The **** with that.

More than once he took shots at teammates after bad losses, never holding himself accountable for being the worst player on the ice.

After the Jersey game, he talked about Zatkoff being a guy who battles and doesn't complain and then said "We could use more than that." That wasn't some cliched answer, he was taking shots at the two guys who have carried the team on their backs for ten years.

No his contract wasn't his fault, but the rest was. The guy was a piece of **** and I'm glad he's gone.

Scuderi's just lucky his teammates weren't nearly as quick to assess blame as he was. He'd have gotten thrown under the bus every game.

Deservedly.

"Players who can skate and make simple passes in transition? Maybe get a puck on net once a year?

We could use more of that. Rob.

*stares Scuderi down""

Last edited:

UnderratedBrooks44

Sep 13, 2005
Miranda's house
The **** with that.

I know you must understand that players that aren't the most talented can speak their minds. It's a team. That's a high school mentality for someone to speak up on a team and then everyone be like "Well you suck so who cares what you think????". That's ridiculous, and do you really think he didn't know he was at the end of the line when he was here?

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I know you must understand that players that aren't the most talented can speak their minds. It's a team. That's a high school mentality for someone to speak up on a team and then everyone be like "Well you suck so who cares what you think????". That's ridiculous, and do you really think he didn't know he was at the end of the line when he was here?

I think there is a middle ground here. I think Scuds is a little too sure of himself for a guy with little left in this NHL. Some of his comments appear to be calling out teammates, but I never heard him say "I need to be better" or something like that. Orpik was the same way.

But, to your point, he is allowed to speak his mind AND he was always willing to speak to the media so they continue to seek him out. Same thing with Lovejoy. The guy is a thoughtful interviewer and always willing to speak when called upon.

Honey Bear

Fan of Losing Teams
Feb 3, 2012
SF Bay Area/Boston
The sad thing about some of you is how badly you want the Pens to win this trade when in reality it's a win-win for both teams.

The Hawks did the trade to free up a little cap space. It's quite clear Scuderi was not as good as Daley even with Daley being mediocre.

I don't really understand the fascination of winning a trade, especially something so minuscule like this. It's not really that hard to say it was a good move for both teams because in reality it was when you look at why both teams did it.

Gold Diamond

Watermarks
Jul 11, 2008
Coatesville, PA
The sad thing about some of you is how badly you want the Pens to win this trade when in reality it's a win-win for both teams.

The Hawks did the trade to free up a little cap space. It's quite clear Scuderi was not as good as Daley even with Daley being mediocre.

I don't really understand the fascination of winning a trade, especially something so minuscule like this. It's not really that hard to say it was a good move for both teams because in reality it was when you look at why both teams did it.

It's not about the Pens "winning" the trade or the Hawks "losing" the trade.

We are rid of the awful cancer that has been ****ing up our team for the past 2.5 years, and we got a capable asset in return for him.

Ding dong the witch is dead. This thread is cathartic for a vast majority of us on this board.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Thanks for your wisdom. I personally don't care if Chicago won or lost the trade. The Pens won like crazy so that's all that matters. Scuderi was awful here and Daley has been very helpful.

Honey Bear

Fan of Losing Teams
Feb 3, 2012
SF Bay Area/Boston
It's not about the Pens "winning" the trade or the Hawks "losing" the trade.

We are rid of the awful cancer that has been ****ing up our team for the past 2.5 years, and we got a capable asset in return for him.

Ding dong the witch is dead. This thread is cathartic for a vast majority of us on this board.

Thanks for your wisdom. I personally don't care if Chicago won or lost the trade. The Pens won like crazy so that's all that matters. Scuderi was awful here and Daley has been very helpful.

Exactly. It was very beneficial for the Pens.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Daley seems to have a good amount of chemistry with Crosby. Lots of give-and-goes and they tend to pass to each other a lot in general.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Hawks traded Sharp for Scuderi. I mean. Thats nearly 3 mil off the cap for them. So thats good.

I would have traded for Sharp without sending salary back and giving up a late pick.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009

No one cares if Chicago wins the trade. No one cares if Chicago fans wake up tomorrow. Scuderi is trash and we're happy to be rid of him. End of feelings on the Chicago side of things.

PS - your post has been nominated for the irony hall of fame. Congrats.

TheSniper26

Oct 2, 2005
Youngstown

Nobody here takes issue with calling it a win-win if you want. Some here take issue with Hawks fans pretending Scuderi has some kind of hockey related value when he clearly doesn't. He's a garbage player. Pretending otherwise illustrates that Hawks fans are every bit as concerned with "winning" the trade as Pens fans. But thanks for taking time out of your day to stop by and tell us how sad we are. :laugh:

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
Maybe the shine on Daley will dull over time like it did with Cole, but for now it looks like we might have a keeper. Maybe he's not top 4 caliber, but he certainly helps this team from the bottom pairing offensively, and hasn't been much of a liability on D. He's doing what we all hoped Pouliot would come in and do for us this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad