Confirmed with Link: Scuderi for Daley

Status
Not open for further replies.

Get To Our Game

May 31, 2008
Pittsburgh
http://blogs.post-gazette.com/sport...-i-m-not-bitter-about-it-or-anything-01-05-16

A couple questions:
How do your assess your season with the Penguins prior to the trade?

“I thought it was good. I know maybe I was taking a little less minutes. Instead of up around 18 or 20, I was in the 15 or 16 range trying to do a good job on the penalty kill against the third and fourth lines. Good role player just trying to do my part for the team and contribute. I thought I did well at it but sometimes these things happen."

Did you have any sense the Penguins were trying to trade you?

"Maybe a small sense. I thought if they wanted to go in a different direction last summer, I thought maybe something would happen. When it didn't, there's really nothing you can do as a player. You're a hockey player. You focus on the things in your world that you can control and everything else is everything else."

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
I got no problem with keeping Dumoulin and Lovejoy and using them as a shutdown pair if Maatta can form a legit first pairing with Letang.

Find Daley a competent partner like Kris Russell and this is a decent defense. Vulnerable in front of the net, but this team should be about defending the middle of the ice and puck possession.

Hossa die Waldfee

Oct 29, 2015
I got no problem with keeping Dumoulin and Lovejoy and using them as a shutdown pair if Maatta can form a legit first pairing with Letang.

Find Daley a competent partner like Kris Russell and this is a decent defense. Vulnerable in front of the net, but this team should be about defending the middle of the ice and puck possession.

I will repeat my concern. If they keep Rev on the #2 pair and Dumo continues to shelter him ( Rev still can't skate, can't handle the puck, and has a tendency to screen/injure his own goalie), what kind of contract do you think the pens will sign him to? Keep in mind that this is not necessarily JR's strong suite (look at Cole or how furious a lot were when he extended MAF. You don't have to prove yourself a long time for JR.)

Also I think Dumo's offense could profit from Daley. And Daley isn't as bad at defense (for us yet) as Chicago fans tried to make us believe.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I will repeat my concern. If they keep Rev on the #2 pair and Dumo continues to shelter him ( Rev still can't skate, can't handle the puck, and has a tendency to screen/injure his own goalie), what kind of contract do you think the pens will sign him to? Keep in mind that this is not necessarily JR's strong suite (look at Cole or how furious a lot were when he extended MAF. You don't have to prove yourself a long time for JR.)

Also I think Dumo's offense could profit from Daley. And Daley isn't as bad at defense (for us yet) as Chicago fans tried to make us believe.

I don't think they will. I haven't seen anything yet that makes me think JR likes Lovejoy very much. I think it's more likely that they let him go and go after someone like Coburn in free agency to pair with Dumoulin than it is for them to re-sign Lovejoy with the intention on keeping him on the 2nd pair. I could see them re-signing him to play on the bottom pair if they move Cole.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
Yeah, "shutdown" and "Lovejoy" shouldn't be in the same sentence. The guy is not good.

Much like with Kunitz's phantom possession numbers, I don't care what metrics say about Lovejoy. He's a big problem on the blueline, as is Cole. Both of those guys should be #6 d-men, at best.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010

Dumoulin's offense?

He looks fine to me on a shutdown pair. Give Maatta, Letang and Daley more offensive zone starts.

If Maatta was still playing like garbage like earlier in the season, then you'd have to move Dumoulin up, but I think both players are good in their current roles.

Maybe you consider moving Lovejoy down with DP if they recall him.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada

Russell would be a good fit. But the cost will be something in the lines of a 2nd rounder if the Flames and him can't agree to a new contract. Mobile defensemen with decent two way games aren't cheap. I don't think the Penguins should be spending assets like that on rentals.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Russell would be a good fit. But the cost will be something in the lines of a 2nd rounder if the Flames and him can't agree to a new contract. Mobile defensemen with decent two way games aren't cheap. I don't think the Penguins should be spending assets like that on rentals.

If they're targeting rentals that they intend on going after in free agency, I could stomach that.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010

Isn't Russell also not great defensively? Kind of a similar type of player to Daley in my brief viewings.

SprootsMasterFlex

Sprootsing 4 Life
Apr 20, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
I still cannot believe this trade actually happened. It made the holiday seasons that much better. Merry Christmas to us all.

5947a7152327b5c9b007eaf1bec2055f.jpg

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Isn't Russell also not great defensively? Kind of a similar type of player to Daley in my brief viewings.

Yeah I thought this was the case too, and Russell also has awful fancy stats with that. I don't think Russel would be someone I'd be interested in to play with Daley. If Cole figures out what he needs to and gets back to the level he was at last year, I'd be pretty happy with our bottom pair.

Hossa die Waldfee

Oct 29, 2015
I don't think they will. I haven't seen anything yet that makes me think JR likes Lovejoy very much. I think it's more likely that they let him go and go after someone like Coburn in free agency to pair with Dumoulin than it is for them to re-sign Lovejoy with the intention on keeping him on the 2nd pair. I could see them re-signing him to play on the bottom pair if they move Cole.

After all he traded our former 1st round pick for him. I know that probably wasn't his idea, but who says that the devil who was responsible for this trade doesn't have the influence to extend this debacle? Playing him on the second line gives him quite possible unnecessary leverage...
I'm not totally against keeping Dumo-Rev together but I would like to try something different also. Look at Fowler, how he blossomed since Rev was traded (and no that's not all Despres. He seems to do very well without him.)
If it doesn't work, get back to Dumo-Rev. No harm done.

Dumoulin's offense?

He looks fine to me on a shutdown pair. Give Maatta, Letang and Daley more offensive zone starts.

If Maatta was still playing like garbage like earlier in the season, then you'd have to move Dumoulin up, but I think both players are good in their current roles.

Maybe you consider moving Lovejoy down with DP if they recall him.

Yeah his offense. Dumo has a good pass, good shot (has to work on a quicker release) and can skate. I certainly would like to see him in a litte bit more offensive role.

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
Scuderi had a "sense", huh? Like being asked to waive your NTC?

Pretty much everything Rob has said in the last year has been disingenuous or snide, like his "no team runs with 6 offensive defenseman" BS from camp.

Some vets fade gracefully, some don't.

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
Pretty much everything Rob has said in the last year has been disingenuous or snide, like his "no team runs with 6 offensive defenseman" BS from camp.

Some vets fade gracefully, some don't.

I think he is sincere in his point of view. I dunno. I think it's a case that he just doesn't realize he sucks. Especially in today's game in which passing and skating from ALL your Dmen, is more important now than ever. Moreseo than even a few years ago.

Scuds is just being his normal self (albeit downgraded) , while the game just doesn't have a place for him any longer.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I don't hate Scuderi, the guy is a stand up team mate and a person from all that I have read about him as a leadership guy. I don't fault him for wanting to come back, the person I fault is Ray Shero. The idiot thought he would be the best partner for Letang, I mean...who in the ****?

Scuds can very likely win his 3rd Cup ring. Good on him if that happens.

He was already past his best years and our then GM thought he was the best solution for the top 4, not even top 4, but our top pair. He was terrible here on the ice, glad he's gone in that aspect. But when all is said and done, I think he'll end up being an assistant coach (defense) somewhere.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010

He's struggling this season. But the Flames aren't very good at all this season either. The whole puck possession reality thing is coming back to bite them.

I like his game. He's decent enough at everything when he's playing well. Plays aggressive too.

He's a #4/5. Wouldn't break the bank to retain him or acquire him.

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
I think he is sincere in his point of view. I dunno. I think it's a case that he just doesn't realize he sucks. Especially in today's game in which passing and skating from ALL your Dmen, is more important now than ever. Moreseo than even a few years ago.

Scuds is just being his normal self (albeit downgraded) , while the game just doesn't have a place for him any longer.

I was ok with Rob the standup guy until this year when he refused a trade and especially that offensive D men quote. He's clearly more than a little delusional, and I don't see how calling all the other D men "offensive" is a team thing to say. Here is the quote exactly, Yohe asked him if he expects to be in the top 6 opening night (and he wasn't playing with an NHL D man at this point in camp):

“I would certainly hope so,†Scuderi told me. “Yes, there’s a lot of young talent on this blue line, no question. And that’s great. That’s all part of it. But I’ve never heard of a team out there that’s decided to go with six offensive defensemen.â€

“I know what I can bring to a hockey team,†Scuderi passionately stated. “I know, offensively, I don’t have the talent these other guys do. But, you know what? I can support the play just like anybody else. I can shoot the puck and create some opportunities or our forwards.â€

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
He's struggling this season. But the Flames aren't very good at all this season either. The whole puck possession reality thing is coming back to bite them.

I like his game. He's decent enough at everything when he's playing well. Plays aggressive too.

He's a #4/5. Wouldn't break the bank to retain him or acquire him.

Fair enough. I honestly haven't watched him closely enough to know. But if I were to acquire him, I'd rather run Dumo-Russell and Daley-Lovejoy.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I was ok with Rob the standup guy until this year when he refused a trade and especially that offensive D men quote. He's clearly more than a little delusional, and I don't see how calling all the other D men "offensive" is a team thing to say. Here is the quote exactly, Yohe asked him if he expects to be in the top 6 opening night (and he wasn't playing with an NHL D man at this point in camp):

“I would certainly hope so,†Scuderi told me. “Yes, there’s a lot of young talent on this blue line, no question. And that’s great. That’s all part of it. But I’ve never heard of a team out there that’s decided to go with six offensive defensemen.â€

“I know what I can bring to a hockey team,†Scuderi passionately stated. “I know, offensively, I don’t have the talent these other guys do. But, you know what? I can support the play just like anybody else. I can shoot the puck and create some opportunities for our forwards.â€

He sounds more delusional than disingenuous.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
I don't blame him for not waiving his NTC, but him thinking or implying that Ben ****ing Lovejoy is in any way an offensive defenseman is comical. Or that Letang, Dumoulin and Maatta aren't better than him defensively while not killing the offense. ****ing saying that he can do anything offensive is simply a lie and he knows it.

A team of Letangs or Letangs, Maattas and Dumoulins would also be amazing... I miss Despres.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Fair enough. I honestly haven't watched him closely enough to know. But if I were to acquire him, I'd rather run Dumo-Russell and Daley-Lovejoy.

Id rather call up Pouliot, run with this defense and use what expendable assets we have on shoring up our LW.

But if theyre dead set on bringing in a d-man, Russell sounds good to me in terms of cost.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
Eh, I don't think Scuderi thinks he's any good. There's no way you can play the game for so long and not know you've lost several steps, can't do anything with the puck, and you're just completely useless out there. He also knows that he can't come out and say he sucks, because that hurts his livelihood.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Eh, I don't think Scuderi thinks he's any good. There's no way you can play the game for so long and not know you've lost several steps, can't do anything with the puck, and you're just completely useless out there. He also knows that he can't come out and say he sucks, because that hurts his livelihood.

Nah. He honestly isn't all that much worse than he was in his prime. A little slower and the game is MUCH faster. He sees his abilities (being in the right position, blocking passing and shooting lanes, making the "safe" play) as being useful traits. He's not necessarily wrong, he's just way too slow for the game today. He's not any worse offensively than he's ever been. There just isn't really room for the slow, safe, shutdown guy in this NHL. Dumoulin is the new NHL's version of a shutdown guy.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
Nah. He honestly isn't all that much worse than he was in his prime. A little slower and the game is MUCH faster. He sees his abilities (being in the right position, blocking passing and shooting lanes, making the "safe" play) as being useful traits. He's not necessarily wrong, he's just way too slow for the game today. He's not any worse offensively than he's ever been. There just isn't really room for the slow, safe, shutdown guy in this NHL. Dumoulin is the new NHL's version of a shutdown guy.

I don't disagree. He was never any good, but he's also beat to **** after a long NHL career and his legs are well beyond gone. Like you said, the game's faster and he's slower than he used to be, which was slow. He's never had any sort of offensive or transition capability, but even that's gotten worse. /shrug

It is what it is. I'm glad he's gone. I genuinely believe he's the worst player in the league.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad