Confirmed with Link: Scuderi for Daley

Status
Not open for further replies.

joeyjake5

Feb 23, 2014
Hawk's best D, the great scuds took a puck to the face. It hit him in the mouth or nose, drew blood. Went to the locker room. Not sure if he returned or how serious the injury is.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
/shrug

He's a unique type of player. You get Sid holding on to the puck and shooting more instead of forcing passes through 84 guys in between the circles, and you put someone like Kessel or Bennett on the other wing, and you've got a Hell of a line.

72-87-19/81

Give that line a solid go for half a dozen games, and if Sid's head is out of his ass, it'll shine.

Said it before, but Hornqvist is like Holmstrom, for better AND worse. Every team can use a Holmstrom, but you can't expect him to do things he can't do.

Which is why he needs a skill complement on the other wing.

Which is why it's so ****ing baffling that our coaches sent the bulk of the year putting him opposite Kunitz, Dupuis, and Plotnikov.

And now, after we've lost two skill guys in Bennett and Sprong, we decide to try him on LW...centered by Malkin, with whom he's never had chemistry.

goodgrief.gif

Hawk's best D, the great scuds took a puck to the face. It hit him in the mouth or nose, drew blood. Went to the locker room. Not sure if he returned or how serious the injury is.

The Hawks have all the luck.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
I'm just happy to learn that a 4 game sample is more significant than years worth of games.

Penguins23

Le Magnifique
Dec 14, 2006
NB Canada
So I haven't watched much the last few weeks. Is this trade as great as everyone(myself included) expected it to be?

When I first saw this trade I thought it was a joke because I was so happy. I was expecting Hawks fans to hate it but then I started reading and apparently Daley wasn't the d-man I thought he was so I got skeptical.

It's a small sample size but what's the verdict so far? From what I've read in the post game threads this still seems like a great deal right?

Asuna

Lvl 94 Sub-Leader
Apr 27, 2014
Pittsburgh
So I haven't watched much the last few weeks. Is this trade as great as everyone(myself included) expected it to be?

When I first saw this trade I thought it was a joke because I was so happy. I was expecting Hawks fans to hate it but then I started reading and apparently Daley wasn't the d-man I thought he was so I got skeptical.

It's a small sample size but what's the verdict so far? From what I've read in the post game threads this still seems like a great deal right?

Daley hasn't been as bad as defensively as advertised....and offensively he's been just as good.

Retaining salary, isn't ideal, but it's still a slam dunk deal for the Penguins, imo.

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
There is no way to factually say that this isn't a slam dunk for Pittsburgh. None. It's a minor overall move but even with retained salary Daley's skating alone is reason to give the edge to Pittsburgh. The fact that he isn't a complete sieve on D and contributes offensively makes it a slam dunk.

Scuds is 7 games in as a -2 averaging 11 minutes a night. And he's a -15.6 in those 7 games in relative Corsi. He's a terrible hockey player. Period.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
There is no way to factually say that this isn't a slam dunk for Pittsburgh. None. It's a minor overall move but even with retained salary Daley's skating alone is reason to give the edge to Pittsburgh. The fact that he isn't a complete sieve on D and contributes offensively makes it a slam dunk.

Scuds is 7 games in as a -2 averaging 11 minutes a night. And he's a -15.6 in those 7 games in relative Corsi. He's a terrible hockey player. Period.

everything you say is about 1,000,000% true, which is why I disagree that it's a 'minor move' overall.

Even simply moving Scuderi for nothing and inserting Warsofsky or Clendening instead of him would have been an improvement.

Getting Daley, who can almost cover up all of Cole's **** ups? And provides amazing transition in any situation?

And don't overlook the added benefit of getting Scuderi forever off the PK. I don't think I'm inventing things when I say it's looked improved since the deal.

Maybe the cap space becomes an issue next year, but for the remainder of this season, this was a massive, huge, history-altering (for the universe, not the Penguins) deal.

A+, would read trade notification again

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
everything you say is about 1,000,000% true, which is why I disagree that it's a 'minor move' overall.

Even simply moving Scuderi for nothing and inserting Warsofsky or Clendening instead of him would have been an improvement.

Getting Daley, who can almost cover up all of Cole's **** ups? And provides amazing transition in any situation?

And don't overlook the added benefit of getting Scuderi forever off the PK. I don't think I'm inventing things when I say it's looked improved since the deal.

Maybe the cap space becomes an issue next year, but for the remainder of this season, this was a massive, huge, history-altering (for the universe, not the Penguins) deal.

I know you're being a bit hyperbolic, but not really. And I would agree completely. Removing Scuds from the team had a huge, huge positive effect. What Hawks fans are beginning to learn now is that not only is Scuds a deficient player in every way, but he posts that awful Corsi when taking O zone draws behind good players. He hurts your offense and possession significantly because the other team can play 5 on 4 against you in the O zone.

Thinking Rob Scuderi belongs in the modern NHL is some kind of nostalgic delusion that affects old school hockey brains. I would have been happy trading him for a 7th round pick and retaining 1M. Getting an actual NHL hockey player back who is a classic "change of scenery" case is that much better.

Chicago being willing to take him on seems equal parts desperation to get rid of Daley and hubris.

PensBandwagonerNo272*

Forgot About Sid
Sep 10, 2012
On top of the fact this was simply a good hockey trade, it would seem simply getting Scuderi off the roster and out of the locker room had a positive impact on the team as well.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
I like the deal since Daley at least appears to be a live body. Scuds always looked washed up, lifeless and contributed greatly to the team being very stale.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I think people are afraid to like Daley or something, but he's a been a good player since he's been here. Not just "live body", but a legitimately good 4/5 in my opinion. Does he have his warts? Sure, but on this team, in this system, with the forwards we have, he is a really nice fit.

It's JR's best trade based on what I've seen. Small sample size so things can change of course.

PensBandwagonerNo272*

Forgot About Sid
Sep 10, 2012
I think people are afraid to like Daley or something, but he's a been a good player since he's been here. Not just "live body", but a legitimately good 4/5 in my opinion. Does he have his warts? Sure, but on this team, in this system, with the forwards we have, he is a really nice fit.

No 4/5 dman is going to be perfect, that's why they aren't top line guys. But Daley has been really good, and is an excellent D depth piece on a team that was/is severely lacking in that department at the moment.

Hossa die Waldfee

Oct 29, 2015

It's JR's best trade based on what I've seen. Small sample size so things can change of course.

Yeah I agree. I actually would love to see Daley with Dumo. I think that could vitalize Dumo's offense too. I'm not that big of a hater of Lovejoy because I can seperate his person from the debacle of the trade (most of the time :laugh: ) but I don't think he should play top 4 minutes.
Also do I believe that he is extremely sheltered by Dumo and if that continues it could prompt our FO to extend him to a bad contract (think like the one Cole has got).

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
This deal has been a home run so far. Dont see how you could argue otherwise.

Obviously its mostly due to the coaching change, but I love the fact that Scuds's departure coincided with this team looking alot more like it should. Better PP, (seemingly) looser bunch of guys on the bench. All of this without the veteran leadership from "the piece". Hope the front office is paying attention and realizing that their misguided love of grizzled vets is just that.

Also, the salary retention doesnt bother me in the slightest. We went from having a complete liability in the lineup every night to a serviceable mid/bottom pairing guy who has helped out PP. The way I look at it, paying a million to go from 3.3M in wasted space to 3.3M of NHL caliber defending is completely worth it.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh

You missed adding what Daley can add on the PP. Even if it is the second unit PP. And I am not entirely convinced that he shouldn't be on the first team PP over Letang. He has a powerful and accurate shot from the point, something that we have missed, especially on the PP, for a long time now. He also is excellent at keeping his feet moving on the PP until he finds an opening for a shot. That kind of movement, or rather the lack of it, has killed us on the PP for a long time now.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
I suppose it's possible Daley just blew that bad for them. Whatever though. We win.

It might have been more unhappy than bad. Though the two may have gone hand in hand, him not happy with his situation there and playing badly as a result.

They have more defensive talent so his getting the ice time and responsibilities that he wanted may have been impossible there. He certainly was not going to be happy being a bottom pairing defenseman there and has the opportunity to play a bigger role here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad