Speculation: Scrivens on his way out?

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Food for thought:

If Bachman/Brossoit win the Calder cup with OKC, would you guys be okay with tossing Scrivens in favor of that duo?

Good God no.

Never mind that both are AHLers at best at this point, you don't pick OKC dry just to shore up a problem that should be handled at the NHL level.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
The oilers don't have the luxury of being able to discard players they spent over half a decade developing and replacing them with worse players. No org in the NHL should have known what Dubs was capable of better than ours and we failed miserably to get the most out of him.

I'd be careful giving guys too much credit for "developing" players
like Price/Rinne. Some coaches get lucky and end up with extremely good natural talents, Korn got to coach Hasek too. Doesn't mean they know everything and can just force their will on any goalie of any talent level and get the best results. Look at the other guy Korn has been working with, Hutton, over the last few years. Check out the last guy he worked with, Lindback and his 2 years in Tampa after leaving the Nashville org. Really, Rinne has been the only good Nashville goalie since Katz took over the Oilers.

So the Oilers are at fault for giving up on Dunbyk after "developing" him for five years, but you don't give credit for "developing" players?

That's a perfect mindset for b*tching about what the Oilers do no matter what.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
You forgot the :sarcasm: emoticon.

How could you possibly be serious about this?

Well, it couldn't be any worse that what we've gone through...keep the snowball rolling:laugh:

Sens let Hammond run with it...is he legit or not, nobody knows yet but they are running with him.

It just happens IMO.

The scary thought would be Matt O'Connor being our number 1. I'm not saying he's not talented enough to do it but I can see MacT doing something absurd like that.

Seedling

Tier 7 fan (ballcap)
Jul 16, 2009
Canada
Ramo, Neuvirth if you go with two UFAs. Ramo is a lot better than others think. He's a starter IMO. Neuvirth is a potential starter.

Doesn't matter, we'll trade Jultz for Ward. Just watch.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Haha Hasek was already a stud in Chicago [due to Tretiak] and was only moved to Buffalo because Keenan was a xenophobe.

Him saying he "coached" Hasek is like Hirsch saying he coached Hall

Yeah, that's the thing with any top end talents and giving too much credit to coaches. It's the same with all coaching really. There is a ceiling for what you're given, if you're good you can get under-performing guys nearer to their ceiling, and sometimes you're lucky and just get handed some top end talent that is going to keep themselves at the ceiling without you having to do much. Korn has been fortunate to get a couple of the latter types of guys in his coaching career so far.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Well, it couldn't be any worse that what we've gone through...keep the snowball rolling:laugh:

Sens let Hammond run with it...is he legit or not, nobody knows yet but they are running with him.

It just happens IMO.

The scary thought would be Matt O'Connor being our number 1. I'm not saying he's not talented enough to do it but I can see MacT doing something absurd like that.

This team needs a solid veteran #1 goalie.

They just cant afford to take a flyer on more rookies or career backups

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
The sad thing is fast forward 1 year from last April ... and we still have the same question marks on our blue line and even bigger question marks in net. :laugh: :cry:

Like we're literally going into yet another summer saying "we have to address the D and goaltending" ... again.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
So the Oilers are at fault for giving up on Dunbyk after "developing" him for five years, but you don't give credit for "developing" players?

That's a perfect mindset for b*tching about what the Oilers do no matter what.

We let our development of Dubs go stale. Also, MacT made his mind up about Dubs the day he took the GM job which is a terrible thing for a GM to do about any player, especially one that was 14th in the NHL in sav% behind a team MacT now claims as "on the demise". But, we know MacT likes to stubbornly make up his mind about players and nothing they do can change it. Again, just an awful trait for a GM, one that is going to keep screwing us over again and again until he's fired.

I think it's fair to judge the Oilers for giving up on Dubs rather than pushing him to take the next step that he took this season, especially after MacT handed the team to a terrible coach pushing a system that almost no goalie could have put up good stats with. Plus he also replaced him with 2 worse goalies (that would go on to put up MUCH worse stats than Dubs under Eakins in 14/15) and claim the position was solid. Just bad GMing from April 2013 to today with how goaltending was handled under MacT. Pretty sure it's established pretty well that the MacT/Eakins duo stunted (and reversed in some cases) development across the board on this team.

Last edited:

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
This team needs a solid veteran #1 goalie.

They just cant afford to take a flyer on more rookies or career backups

The only real number 1 I can see available is Anderson and he's probably the only goalie I'm ok with at this stage.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
The sad thing is fast forward 1 year from last April ... and we still have the same question marks on our blue line and even bigger question marks in net. :laugh: :cry:

Like we're literally going into yet another summer saying "we have to address the D and goaltending" ... again.

Goaltending is a bigger question mark because Sievens game fell off this season.

Ference and Nikitin didn't work out either.

Ideally all three are gone soon. That would free up $10M plus for shoring up the backend.

Why would the Flames let Ramo walk?

They owe Hiller $4.5M next year and Ramo will get at least that much from somebody.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
I agree...he is my first choice as well.

He's the only goalie IMO, aside from Luongo, that can handle a bajillion shots and stay cool.

And we all know how many shots our goalies face consistently and I doubt that's going to change overnight with our D [or even a revamped one].

Pretty much a case of mitigate one thing the best you can and hope it has a trickle down positive effect on our other deficiencies.

McDeathbyCheerios*

Goaltending is a bigger question mark because Sievens game fell off this season.

Ference and Nikitin didn't work out either.

Ideally all three are gone soon. That would free up $10M plus for shoring up the backend.

They owe Hiller $4.5M next year and Ramo will get at least that much from somebody.
Yep.

Ramo is good enough to be a starter and will want starter money.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
I think it's fair to judge the Oilers for giving up on Dubs rather than pushing him to take the next step that he took this season, especially after MacT handed the team to a terrible coach pushing a system that almost no goalie could have put up good stats with. Plus he also replaced him with 2 worse goalies (that would go on to put up MUCH worse stats than Dubs under Eakins in 14/15) and claim the position was solid. Just bad GMing from April 2013 to today with how goaltending was handled under MacT. Pretty sure it's established pretty well that the MacT/Eakins duo stunted (and reversed in some cases) development across the board on this team.

Dubnyk took the next steps this season because he finally realized he would be out of the league if he didn't.

Of course Eakins was a terrible coach. If MacT loses his job it should be for that decision. Regardless, players do have to take accountability for their own play. Dubnyk, by his own admission finally got it last off season. Of MacT's many failures as a GM mishandling Doobie isn't one of them.

n7

Oct 15, 2011
Edmonton
Scrivens has had an atrocious season.

But until we have an actual NHL defense, goalies are going to continue to look terrible and struggle.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
Scrivens has had an atrocious season.

But until we have an actual NHL defense, goalies are going to continue to look terrible and struggle.

On the other hand, our D would still look like **** if Sievens keeps letting those 5 hole goals. For every Jultz slippage that leads to a goal, we have Sievens having difficulties closing his legs 3 times.

Goes both ways.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Dubnyk took the next steps this season because he finally realized he would be out of the league if he didn't.

Of course Eakins was a terrible coach. If MacT loses his job it should be for that decision. Regardless, players do have to take accountability for their own play. Dubnyk, by his own admission finally got it last off season. Of MacT's many failures as a GM mishandling Doobie isn't one of them.

You really must not think much of Dubs character if you think he wasn't going to work hard on his game after how his time in Edmonton in 13/14 went alone. Guess that's the difference in peoples opinions who try to push the narrative that his time in Nashville and Montreal is what made him get back to putting up similar stats that he had for us in 12/13 for Arizona. I doubt that's true.

He was going to work on his game regardless this summer after his performance with us, whether we traded him or not. He would have found out about head trajectory regardless. However, since MacT disliked him and he still would have played behind Eakins next year with Chabot still somehow being our goalie coach, it probably still wouldn't have worked out, and I'm sure people would continue to blame Dubs for that too. MacT created a no win situation for any goalies here aside from maybe some super elite goalie.

NAF

Beauty Fakes
Sep 30, 2010

IIRC you were leading the mob here on HF calling for Dubnyk's head and calling him garbage who would never be a legitimate NHL goalie, right? So, what's the story you tell yourself to convince yourself you were right despite all evidence to the contrary? Dubnyk took some magic pills in the off-season and now he's a different goalie? Something like that? Riiiiiight.

But, no, please continue sharing your insights on Oilers goaltending.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004

Thanks. So the question is which teams are in the market for a starting goaltender?

Edmonton
Buffalo
Carolina
SJ (assuming that they cut ties with Niemi)

Less likely:
Minnesota if they re-sign Dubnyk
St. Louis if Elliot falters in the playoffs and they don't think that Allen is ready to take the reigns

If I'm Ramo I'd be looking at SJ as my preferred destination.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004

It was MacT's and Dubnyk's fault. From day 1 MacT stepped in and basically called out the goaltending. This put unneeded pressure on Dubnyk IMO. That said Dubnyk failed miserably under pressure and crapped the bed under two other organizations after he left here. That is on Dubnyk. I agree with you that he realized that his career was hanging by a thread and that likely lit a fire under his ass.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Fleury in Edmonton would be a disaster of hilarious proportions. I'd like to see it just for the hilarity of how bad it would get.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Anderson absolutely has to be the guy the Oilers look at. Let's hope Ottawa wins a round or two and decides that Anderson is an afterthought.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad