Speculation: Scrivens on his way out?

Jmask83

Oct 3, 2009
He played bad from game 1. Having said that other teams in the NHL including Buffalo and Arizona managed to get good goaltending at some point this season. We are the only team that never had a stretch of good goaltending. It was bad and it stayed bad.

OilTastic

Embrace The Hate
Oct 5, 2009
St. Albert, Alberta.
Scrivens was decent in Toronto and in LA. He's not here.

Coincidence?

from the 10/11 season to the 12/13 season, Dubnyk had 3 good years on a very bad team and outplayed Khabby by a lot while splitting duties with him. Sievens has had mediocre seasons as a backup in T.O. and on a very good team in L.A.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
If Scriven's could cover the five hole, on a clean shot, would his percentage have been better?

Brossoit .961 sv%, 2.00 GA in yes, a single game. Didn't give multiple goals 5 hole, though, but had the same players playing.

It might not be the team - you ready to throw the baby out with the bathwater?

"It might not be the team" ... :laugh:

Newsflash ... the "team" sucks.

Scrivens looked amazing when he first came here too, stopped 904848 shots against San Jose in a game, Oiler fans were proclaiming their goaltending problems as solved, so long Dubnyk you loser, lol.

Yeah fast forward one year later and ....

McDeathbyCheerios*

Thiiiiiiiis. A thousand times, this.

It is scary what might happen this summer, because this organization doesn't employ anyone who knows how to pick or teach a goalie. We can never win.
Our current goalie coach is actually very good. He coached Brossoit and Jarry. Worked with the Canadian woman's team and has players coming to him in the offseason. Fasth was looking better, Bachman looked pretty decent and Brossoit did too. Scrivens is just bad

OilTastic

Embrace The Hate
Oct 5, 2009
St. Albert, Alberta.
If Scriven's could cover the five hole, on a clean shot, would his percentage have been better?

Brossoit .961 sv%, 2.00 GA in yes, a single game. Didn't give multiple goals 5 hole, though, but had the same players playing.

It might not be the team - you ready to throw the baby out with the bathwater?

^and i noticed that Brossoit made saves that Sievens would have let in....

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003

Scrivens looked amazing when he first came here too, stopped 904848 shots against San Jose in a game, Oiler fans were proclaiming their goaltending problems as solved, so long Dubnyk you loser, lol.

Yeah Scrivens rode a hot streak when he got here. He was sub .900 sav% in the last month of the 13/14 season though. He continued that level of play into 14/15 and got worse as his confidence started to erode further. I don't think any goalie except a truly elite one stands a chance here until we fix this team. Guys might do good for short periods, but playing behind this group game after game, your luck is gonna run out and you're gonna get pulled down into the gutter along with everyone else eventually.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Yeah Scrivens rode a hot streak when he got here. He was sub .900 sav% in the last month of the 13/14 season though. He continued that level of play into 14/15 and got worse as his confidence started to erode further. I don't think any goalie except a truly elite one stands a chance here until we fix this team. Guys might do good for short periods, but playing behind this group game after game, your luck is gonna run out and you're gonna get pulled down into the gutter along with everyone else eventually.
Scrivens was awful at the World Championships last year too. That's when the red flags started coming up for me. It was easy for him to play over his head last year in a bunch of meaningless games without any pressure to close out the season but once he started playing some games where he was being counted on he crumbled.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Well everyone knows when Stauffer starts to criticize you on-air, it's usually over for you as an Oiler.

He started during the game and then continued after the game.

imo Scrivens is as good as gone.

Both goalies are gone--I fully expect the oilers to go all in on someone in the off season--even if it means moving one of our kids in a
BoldOnBlack.png
move

McCrumb

Nov 13, 2005
Why are we surprised? We picked up a bloody backup who was on his way to his third team in a year or so and we expected him to win the Vezina? Not everyone can be... uh... Devin Dubnyk.

victor

Sep 6, 2003

If you look through my posting history, you'll see a long defense of Dubnyk.

Hell, really liked Scrivens in his first games.

That said, look at Scrivens in his last five. Or last two. He should have gone from actual player to excuse that the current leadership should be fired by now.

Tonight, it wasn't the defense (although they weren't particularly good.)

Tonight, it wasn't the offense (although they weren't particularly bad.)

It was singularly bad goaltending.

I'm OK with firing those who put this into place, but at the end of the day, weak goals against by a goaltender were the story.

Please argue against that.

Mcnofool6110

Re-defining Rock Bottom since '07
Dec 7, 2011
Sydney
:( Poor kid. Could have happened to anyone. Puck got caught up in his glove. That **** happens to the best of 'em.

Yes, obviously you're right and this should reflect nothing on the high quality of goaltending that O'Connor has produced...

But isn't that such an Oilers moment? A Scrivensesque brain cramp?

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
If you look through my posting history, you'll see a long defense of Dubnyk.

Hell, really liked Scrivens in his first games.

That said, look at Scrivens in his last five. Or last two. He should have gone from actual player to excuse that the current leadership should be fired by now.

Tonight, it wasn't the defense (although they weren't particularly good.)

Tonight, it wasn't the offense (although they weren't particularly bad.)

It was singularly bad goaltending.

I'm OK with firing those who put this into place, but at the end of the day, weak goals against by a goaltender were the story.

Please argue against that.

It wasn't the defence? Really? There was one shift where the Sedins could've scored 4 different times.

Sven Baertschi got to walk right into the slot on his first goal.

The Canucks were playing at half speed too.

Scrivens is obviously broken (just like the Oilers D broke Dubnyk), he wasn't making these errors when he first got here, but you leave a goalie behind this tire fire long enough and they will lose all confidence and start to rely on bad habits.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
It wasn't the defence? Really? There was one shift where the Sedins could've scored 4 different times.

Scrivens is obviously broken (just like the Oilers D broke Dubnyk), he wasn't making these errors when he first got here, but you leave a goalie behind this tire fire long enough and they will lose all confidence and start to rely on bad habits.

Exactly. It blows my mind that Oiler fans continually place the primary blame on the goalie.

Scrivens is Sievens because he's demoralized playing behind a team that is constantly under siege. He's not good enough to overcome confidence issues so the floodgates have now opened.
He's clearly not the same goalie that he was last season because he's now fully absorbed into the Oilers culture. It's a goalie graveyard for a reason.

We're going to have the same conversation this time next season when Martin Jones or Cam Talbot are getting sieveish nicknames.

The Oilers do need to add a legit #1 goalie but they need some damn defense and some forwards who know how to play in their own zone. It's ridiculous already.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking

Precisely.

Nobody wants to be goalie for this team. Its bad for anybodies career.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I don't think the D was terrible tonight. Below average? Sure. Basically with average goaltending tonight we would have had 3 GA instead of 6. Then the D wouldn't be under such a microscope.

Musil and Davidson had strong games imo. Some inconsistency, but generally solid. Davidson is a smooth skater. Musil deserved a better fate on that Baertschi goal too. He did a good job getting back and making sure the chance wasn't clean. Scrivens just couldn't stop a low percentage chance.

Marincin was very good tonight.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
I was a huge Dubnyk detractor, but am glad he found his game and is having success with the Wild. The thing is though, Richard Korn couldnt fix him. The Habs' goalie coach couldnt fix him. I believe there is an article out there stating Dubnyk refused to adapt to Korn's methods and was why he was dealt to Montreal and finished in the AHL. It wasnt until the summer when Dubnyk finally looked in the mirror and a reality check occurred when he figured out he was a part of the problem and needed to make a change... hindsight is always 20/20. If he is still an Oiler today, would he have taken Valiquette's course on head trajectory? I say not likely as his livelihood would not have been in so much jeopardy as it was last summer. He went from 3.5 million to 800 K in salary did he not? That is a huge wakeup call.

Tonight when Cassie Campbell interviewed Mactavish, she brought up goaltending and quipped "...Dunbyk is A UFA this summer, I dont know if he will be an option or not for you" and Im positive I heard Mactavish mumble "No".

At any rate, I hope Scrivens just played his last game as an Oiler and they sign Niemi and/or Ramo as pickings are thin this off season. I would offer Niemi 3 years at 4.2 per season max. That gives Broissoit time to develop for another full season or two and Niemi can mentor him the final year of his deal. I hope Bob's kiss of death on Scrivens comes to fruition, he was just so bleh this season.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Niemi will bomb here mark my words. He's a .910-ish goalie and that's behind a very good D which isn't gonna happen here.

Which means the Oilers will end up signing him for $5.5 million. Naturally.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Niemi will bomb here mark my words. He's a .910-ish goalie and that's behind a very good D which isn't gonna happen here.

Which means the Oilers will end up signing him for $5.5 million. Naturally.

I'm fine with us taking that risk. There are always options out there for moving bad contracts, and I don't want us to be so afraid of making a mistake that we settle for another goalie that takes no major assets to get and we just hope and pray that they are the next diamond in the rough.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I'm fine with us taking that risk. There are always options out there for moving bad contracts, and I don't want us to be so afraid of making a mistake that we settle for another goalie that takes no major assets to get and we just hope and pray that they are the next diamond in the rough.

I don't think it's a "risk" more than it is a certainty ... Niemi would be a .890-.900 sv% goalie here.

His numbers have never been spectacular playing on teams that have pretty darn good blue lines.

He's a decent goalie when he has a good team in front of him, his numbers will take a hit coming here, that's pretty much a lock.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
His contract is to much for a backup goalie and I doubt any other team will take him. I'd much rather go into next season with a legit NHL starting goalie and Bachman as the backup.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad