Speculation: Scrivens on his way out?

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
This team needs Craig Anderson in the worst of ways. Here's to Hammond continuing his uncanny play (20-1-2 in 24 games played, 1.79 GAA .941 sv%... what the ****) into the playoffs, forcing Ottawa's hand into signing him, making Craig Anderson available for trade.

Anderson, assuming he can still play, is perfect for this team.

He can handle high volume of shots and maintain a consistent SP. He also has a penchant to slow the play down. By that, I mean if you watch him play, he almost always stops the play by covering the puck, even if he can still pass it forward. It allows his teammates to recover/reset and try again.

It was one thing that many opposing teams *****ed about Anderson when he was with Colorado. Anderson covers the puck almost all the time, causing any opposition momentum to be derailed.

Devils advocate...I guess Sievens was the same though except the play stops because the puck was generally behind him already:laugh:

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
I think the Dubnyk praise is a little too thick in here considering how many on this board turned their backs on him and wanted him out of town. Part of the blame is entirely on Dubnyk, he got complacent and didn't deliver and after getting traded into a pretty ideal situation to build himself back up in Nashville with one of the better d-cores and one of the best goalie coaches in the league in Mitch Korn, he was labelled by that same goalie coach as stubborn and essentially uncoachable.

It was only when the end of NHL employment was nearly staring him square in the face and he was under the tutelage of quite possibly the best goalie coach in the league, that he refound his game which seemed to be completely lost at that point.

MacT thanks you for pushing this super-biased Dubnyk narrative that makes MacT look good. Korn isn't that great though. Just one of the luckies goalie coaches of all time to get to coach Hasek and Rinne. Dubs plainly said head trajectory (that he found on his own over the summer) is the main reason for his turnaround and Burke only helped him with minor tweaks to his game. One thing for sure though Dubs did benefit from playing for an Org that actually supported him this season in Arizona, unlike what he got here with MacT predicting his failure before the 13/14 season even started.

There was nothing Dubs did to turn his game around that the Oilers couldn't have helped him with if we were a properly run organization. Dubs knew he had a crap season and he was going to work his butt off in the 2014 off-season regardless to turn his career around. Would have needed some conditions satisfied first though if he was going to succeed here. First, no MacT who loves to pick guys he doesn't like and dump them like trash. Second, no Eakins playing ridiculous systems. Third, a new goalie coach so Dubs could continue his development that was going stale with our org which is probably one of the worst all time at development. Sadly, the org didn't have the will to do 2 of those (Eakins, goalie coach) until the 14/15 season was already a failure. The MacT one, the org may never do that. So, people are probably right, Dubs couldn't have actually turned things around here, but that's an organizational failure, not all his.

Last edited:

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Goalies are certainly at fault but a good D will help. Dubnyk goes from cannon fodder her to MVP in Minnesota. I could see the same for Scrivens.

Mact has no idea what he's doing. He should be at the top of the blame list. Get this idiot out of here now.

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
LOL. A plan? A plan!?! Seriously?

One of two scenarios will happen next season:
1. We throw a tonne of money at Niemi and he declines, although the figures will be release and we'll openly mock our organization, as we should.
2. We do nothing, and our goalie line-up next season is Scrivens at 1A and Bachman at 1B. Once an injury occurs, Brossoit will be recalled and Bachman will be relegated as Brossoit takes 1A and Scrivens falls into the 1B slot.

We finish 29th, third place wins the draft and we draft Sean Day 3rd overall.

It pains me how accurate this all is.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
There was nothing Dubs did to turn his game around that the Oilers couldn't have helped him with if we were a properly run organization. Dubs knew he had a crap season and he was going to work his butt off in the 2014 off-season regardless to turn his career around. Would have needed some conditions satisfied first though if he was going to succeed here. First, no MacT who loves to pick guys he doesn't like and dump them like trash. Second, no Eakins playing ridiculous systems. Third, a new goalie coach so Dubs could continue his development that was going stale with our org which is probably one of the worst all time at development. Sadly, the org didn't have the will to do 2 of those (Eakins, goalie coach) until the 14/15 season was already a failure. The MacT one, the org may never do that. So, people are probably right, Dubs couldn't have actually turned things around here, but that's an organizational failure, not all his.

Eff that. Doobie went to Nashville. They ate salary on him after he played two games because he wouldn't listen to coaching. Then he drifted to the Habs. At one point they had their fourth string goalie on the bench and still left Doobie in the minors.

Was Doobie not making it in Nashville and Montreal two more examples of organizational failures? Rinne and Price are both examples that show those organizations can develop good goalies. Both wanted nothing to do with Doobie.

The only organizational failure by the Oilers with Doobie was giving him too much money for too long a term.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
Eff that. Doobie went to Nashville. They ate salary on him after he played two games because he wouldn't listen to coaching. Then he drifted to the Habs who has their fourth string goalie on the bench at one point and still left Doobie in the minors.

Was Doobie not making it in Nashville and Montreal two more examples of organizational failures? Rinne and Price are both examples that show those organizations can develop good goalies. Both wanted nothing to do with Doobie.

The only organizational failure by the Oilers with Doobie was giving him too much money for too long a term.

This is true.

Dubnyk had his first kid and the time away family was eating at him. Just a case of having difficulties separating personal and professional life. After he got demoted in MTL, he played a bit and then went home for the remainder of the season to find himself again. Probably figured was best course of action.

Kudos to him for doing that but blaming the organization for Dubnyk not getting his head straight before the season [ie. him being stubborn, out of shape before beginning of year] is just wrong.

IAGTTAYM

Dec 15, 2006
Goalies are certainly at fault but a good D will help. Dubnyk goes from cannon fodder her to MVP in Minnesota. I could see the same for Scrivens.

Mact has no idea what he's doing. He should be at the top of the blame list. Get this idiot out of here now.
You think Ben Scrivens can be a MVP candidate, if he plays behind a good D?

A good D would help, but lets not kid ourselves: We got the worst goaltending in the whole league this season. 45 goalies played 1000 min at evans, Fasth and Scrivens was 44 & 45 in 5v5 save %. Garbage.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Eff that. Doobie went to Nashville. They ate salary on him after he played two games because he wouldn't listen to coaching. Then he drifted to the Habs. At one point they had their fourth string goalie on the bench and still left Doobie in the minors.

Dubnyk was a pending UFA with zero confidence in nashville and montreal. They had no time to spend on him and they didn't have to because they already had vezina quality natural talents in the org. Butting heads with Korn while he tried to completely change Dubs game in a week is not really a surprise. And Dubs did admit he gave up on his season shortly after leaving Edmonton, which could have bit him in the butt long term, but it worked out. He left the Montreal org early with permission to spend time with his family, and put in the work in the off-season and here we are now.

The oilers don't have the luxury of being able to discard players they spent over half a decade developing and replacing them with worse players. No org in the NHL should have known what Dubs was capable of better than ours and we failed miserably to get the most out of him.

I'd be careful giving guys too much credit for "developing" players like Price/Rinne. Some coaches get lucky and end up with extremely good natural talents, Korn got to coach Hasek too. Doesn't mean they know everything and can just force their will on any goalie of any talent level and get the best results. Look at the other guy Korn has been working with, Hutton, over the last few years. Check out the last guy he worked with, Lindback and his 2 years in Tampa after leaving the Nashville org. Really, Rinne has been the only good Nashville goalie since Katz took over the Oilers.

It also is obvious now that Korn was wrong about Dubs. Dubs needed to supplement his game with some new techniques, not a complete transformation. Head trajectory is helping him maintain focus and track the puck properly, which was always one of his weaknesses, losing focus and losing sight of the puck that made him have to keep guessing and go down early when he was off his game. Also helps you be more efficient with your movement because you are following the play better. He said this year his technique is still pretty much what he worked on under Chabot. Burke helped him work on his distancing from the net a bit, but aside from that, mostly the same and supplemented now with head trajectory.

Last edited:

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
You think Ben Scrivens can be a MVP candidate, if he plays behind a good D?

A good D would help, but lets not kid ourselves: We got the worst goaltending in the whole league this season. 45 goalies played 1000 min at evans, Fasth and Scrivens was 44 & 45 in 5v5 save %. Garbage.

Maybe not an MVP candidate but certainly someone serviceable.

Ever seem to notice that the second players get away from Edmonton they improve drastically?

Oilers10

I hate Dallas Eakins
Dec 4, 2004
I'm downf or the Lindback Neuvirth suggestion. Didn't Neuvirth win a calder cup in AHL too? I like goalies that have a winning pedigree. The cost wouldn't be too atrocious either.

IAGTTAYM

Dec 15, 2006
Maybe not an MVP candidate but certainly someone serviceable.

Ever seem to notice that the second players get away from Edmonton they improve drastically?
A serviceable what? How many games can Scrivens realistically be relied upon to play next season, if we improve the defense?

Sure, some players improve when they leave. It helps when you play on a better team, with better players and when you are slotted into a role you can succeed in.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I like the Lindback and Neuvirth suggestion. Watching both play and looking at their stats and ages, they are in the area where they're about to be at career peaks a la Dubnyk and other "breakout" guys in the past like Niemi with Chicago, Osgood with Detroit and NYI, etc. Scrivens had his shot - he looked like he might be able to be a 1b last year. He blew it.

I'm downf or the Lindback Neuvirth suggestion. Didn't Neuvirth win a calder cup in AHL too? I like goalies that have a winning pedigree. The cost wouldn't be too atrocious either.

You sign them, hope that one of them pans out and then you have Brossoit in the wings when he's ready. IMO the big thing with these guys is that they've had good numbers on **** teams like ours. All the while you look to add at least one younger promising goalie to challenge Brossoit on the farm. Goalie depth is needed badly here, I am only happy with Brossoit's play this season of all of our organization's goalies.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
A serviceable what? How many games can Scrivens realistically be relied upon to play next season, if we improve the defense?

Sure, some players improve when they leave. It helps when you play on a better team, with better players and when you are slotted into a role you can succeed in.

A backup/1A. The list of players that have left Edmonton and gone on to better things is a long one. This team has an obsession with running decent players out of town for picks or worse players.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
Dubnyk was a pending UFA with zero confidence in nashville and montreal. They had no time to spend on him and they didn't have to because they already had vezina quality natural talents in the org. Butting heads with Korn while he tried to completely change Dubs game in a week is not really a surprise. And Dubs did admit he gave up on his season shortly after leaving Edmonton, which could have bit him in the butt long term, but it worked out. He left the Montreal org early with permission to spend time with his family, and put in the work in the off-season and here we are now.

The oilers don't have the luxury of being able to discard players they spent over half a decade developing and replacing them with worse players. No org in the NHL should have known what Dubs was capable of better than ours and we failed miserably to get the most out of him.

I'd be careful giving guys too much credit for "developing" players like Price/Rinne. Some coaches get lucky and end up with extremely good natural talents, Korn got to coach Hasek too. Doesn't mean they know everything and can just force their will on any goalie of any talent level and get the best results. Look at the other guy Korn has been working with, Hutton, over the last few years. Check out the last guy he worked with, Lindback and his 2 years in Tampa after leaving the Nashville org. Really, Rinne has been the only good Nashville goalie since Katz took over the Oilers.

It also is obvious now that Korn was wrong about Dubs. Dubs needed to supplement his game with some new techniques, not a complete transformation. Head trajectory is helping him maintain focus and track the puck properly, which was always one of his weaknesses, losing focus and losing sight of the puck that made him have to keep guessing and go down early when he was off his game. Also helps you be more efficient with your movement because you are following the play better. He said this year his technique is still pretty much what he worked on under Chabot. Burke helped him work on his distancing from the net a bit, but aside from that, mostly the same and supplemented now with head trajectory.

I always thought it was Tretiak who worked with Belfour and Hasek?

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
I always thought it was Tretiak who worked with Belfour and Hasek?

I didn't know until I looked him up, but this is Korn's main claim to fame:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitch_Korn

"Korn was hired by the Buffalo Sabres in 1991, where he coached Dominik Hašek to 4 Vezina trophies (leagues best goaltender), and 2 Hart trophies (league MVP) over seven seasons. Korn later joined the Nashville Predators in 1998 as their goaltending coach."

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
Food for thought:

If Bachman/Brossoit win the Calder cup with OKC, would you guys be okay with tossing Scrivens in favor of that duo?

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Food for thought:

If Bachman/Brossoit win the Calder cup with OKC, would you guys be okay with tossing Scrivens in favor of that duo?

I'd be fine tossing him but I wouldn't hand both of those other guys the NHL jobs.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
I didn't know until I looked him up, but this is Korn's main claim to fame:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitch_Korn

"Korn was hired by the Buffalo Sabres in 1991, where he coached Dominik Hašek to 4 Vezina trophies (leagues best goaltender), and 2 Hart trophies (league MVP) over seven seasons. Korn later joined the Nashville Predators in 1998 as their goaltending coach."

Haha Hasek was already a stud in Chicago [due to Tretiak] and was only moved to Buffalo because Keenan was a xenophobe.

Him saying he "coached" Hasek is like Hirsch saying he coached Hall

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Food for thought:

You forgot the :sarcasm: emoticon.

How could you possibly be serious about this?

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
I'd be fine tossing him but I wouldn't hand both of those other guys the NHL jobs.

For sure...I just dont want to see Sievens running crease again for this team...ok bit harsh...maybe as an OKC emergency call up:laugh:

TheGuyInTheChair

Sep 21, 2014
Food for thought:

tumblr_mka2bjSArb1r9hhw1o1_400.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad