Speculation: Scrivens on his way out?

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Well everyone knows when Stauffer starts to criticize you on-air, it's usually over for you as an Oiler.

He started during the game and then continued after the game.

imo Scrivens is as good as gone.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Don't worry Ben. It gets better.

461597746-goaltender-devan-dubnyk-of-the-minnesota-gettyimages.jpg

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
Given Mact's propensity for downgrading things, I'd hate to see what the next step in the chain of downgrades from Dubnyk to Scrivens, to whatever he gets next year.

victor

Sep 6, 2003
Sorry, based on his play, he's not on the way out. He's on his way out of this league.

If the Oiler's had played either AHL goalie tonight, would they have won?

If you even thought about it - moving/waving Scrivens is the right move.

gooilgo

Dec 30, 2010
Area 51
Well there is no way Scrivens is a starting goalie in this league. Another MacT success story in signing those ex Marlies for Eakins.....not.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Dubnyk at his worst was never this bad. Scrivens has EASILY been the worst 'starter' in the league this year.

I don't know about 'gone', but he sure as hell won't be 1A/1B next year. Backup at best, gone at worst.

victor

Sep 6, 2003
Don't worry Ben. It gets better.

461597746-goaltender-devan-dubnyk-of-the-minnesota-gettyimages.jpg

Dubnyk wasn't good for the Oilers, not good for the Predators, demoted by the Habs, and lucky to find a contract with another team.

Some times, it really is the goaltender.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Sorry, based on his play, he's not on the way out. He's on his way out of this league.

If the Oiler's had played either AHL goalie tonight, would they have won?

If you even thought about it - moving/waving Scrivens is the right move.

I didn't even state my opinion on whether or not it's the right move, just that it will be a move.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Dubnyk at his worst was never this bad. Scrivens has EASILY been the worst 'starter' in the league this year.

I don't know about 'gone', but he sure as hell won't be 1A/1B next year. Backup at best, gone at worst.

Dubnyk .894 sv%, 3.36 GA with the Oilers last year

Scrivens .890 sv%, 3.16 GA with the Oilers this year

I'd say it's a wash. This team just sucks.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Scrivezina doesn't have the talent ceiling Dubs had/has. I don't expect him to have a big turnaround season after the summer. He should be a backup with low pressure and light workload.

Only issue for the Oilers though is if you actually want a goalie to ever consistently look good behind this garbage lineup in a #1 role, you need a top 10 goalie in the league. Nothing less than that is going to be able to maintain a high level of play and keep up their confidence on this crap team.

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
Dubnyk wasn't good for the Oilers, not good for the Predators, demoted by the Habs, and lucky to find a contract with another team.

Some times, it really is the goaltender.

His confidence was shattered after that first month with Eakins. A summer to recuperate, recover, and an opportunity to reprove himself - he's run with the opportunity in non-gongshow organizations.

Sometimes it's the goaltender, but in the case of Dubnyk, it was quite clearly Eakins/Oilers given how good he's been this year.

victor

Sep 6, 2003

What, you don't expect the five hole goal when there is no good reasons to keep the pads together?

Take a look at my posting history, and you'll see a great deal of defense for Dubnyk.

Scriven's might have played his way out any major pro hockey (NHL/KHL/Euro) with his performance this year. Sorry for him, but he's not an NHL goalie or backup, and I have little faith, based on his play that he can become one.

My "Atom" level son, as a defender, is yelling at him to not be a "spider" - his term. Flop before the shot, and hope for coverage.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Oiler fans were saying Dubnyk would never play in the NHL again after last season too. How's that working out?

Quinteoilers

Jan 7, 2012
How many goals did he let in all season that were "on him". From stick handling miscues to muffed chances....way to many to bring him back.

stratedge

My relationship with the Oilers is abusive.
Jul 25, 2007
Calgary, AB

With Dubnyk there were some ugly goals and ugly nights, but the stats were a lot more a reflection of the really bad defensive system Eakins implemented. I can recall so many point blank chances from right in the slot between all the players.

With Scrivens all my memories all year long are of him being wholly at fault for a lot of bad goals.

Scrivens trademarks:
  • Handles the puck, in the net within 5 seconds (I counted at least 6 of these, many of them early in the season)
  • First or second shot of game in the net
  • 5 hole goals because he doesn't use his stick properly at all
  • Drifting way out of his net as a player goes behind it, never recovering, goal shortly thereafter
  • Laying on the ice after a save for a full 5 seconds, just watching the play from his stomach

Dubnyk trademarks:
  • Weak goals on blue line or farther shots

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
@soundwave....Dubnyk was and is a better goalie.

Can't wait for Macdummy to sign Niemi to a $5.5 mill per contract and watch him flame out here with another year of .895 save percentage goaltending.

This team sucks.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Oiler fans were saying Dubnyk would never play in the NHL again after last season too. How's that working out?

We wreck goalies so bad that they need to go to multiple organizations to get repaired after they leave.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Can't wait for Macdummy to sign Niemi to a $5.5 mill per contract and watch him flame out here with another year of .895 save percentage goaltending.

This team sucks.

I want no part of Niemi unless the contract is reasonable and it won't be if he's coming here.

victor

Sep 6, 2003

If Scriven's could cover the five hole, on a clean shot, would his percentage have been better?

Brossoit .961 sv%, 2.00 GA in yes, a single game. Didn't give multiple goals 5 hole, though, but had the same players playing.

It might not be the team - you ready to throw the baby out with the bathwater?

stratedge

My relationship with the Oilers is abusive.
Jul 25, 2007
Calgary, AB
Dubnyk was technically good but with major brain farts. Scrivens isn't good technically

Thiiiiiiiis. A thousand times, this.

It is scary what might happen this summer, because this organization doesn't employ anyone who knows how to pick or teach a goalie. We can never win.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad