Speculation: Scrivens on his way out?

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
The only thing that scares me about Anderson is that he ends up getting injured like the first week of the season.

Guess it could happen to anyone, but that would just seem like such a Oilers-type of season.

Anderson + Talbot would make me feel OK though, but if Talbot has a good season then you're kinda stuck in a weird spot of Anderson being left with 2 years on his deal and likely hard to trade.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
I think if the Pens exit early, Fleury may be on the move. I wouldn't mind taking a shot at him.

Yay more first overalls:laugh:

The only thing that scares me about Anderson is that he ends up getting injured like the first week of the season.

Guess it could happen to anyone, but that would just seem like such a Oilers-type of season.

Anderson + Talbot would make me feel OK though, but if Talbot has a good season then you're kinda stuck in a weird spot of Anderson being left with 2 years on his deal and likely hard to trade.

Spector and Matheson I believe alluded to Talbot being one of the possible MacT targets.

Knowing this team though, we'd probably run with Anderson and O'Connor.:laugh:

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
MacT thanks you for pushing this super-biased Dubnyk narrative that makes MacT look good. Korn isn't that great though. Just one of the luckies goalie coaches of all time to get to coach Hasek and Rinne. Dubs plainly said head trajectory (that he found on his own over the summer) is the main reason for his turnaround and Burke only helped him with minor tweaks to his game. One thing for sure though Dubs did benefit from playing for an Org that actually supported him this season in Arizona, unlike what he got here with MacT predicting his failure before the 13/14 season even started.

There was nothing Dubs did to turn his game around that the Oilers couldn't have helped him with if we were a properly run organization. Dubs knew he had a crap season and he was going to work his butt off in the 2014 off-season regardless to turn his career around. Would have needed some conditions satisfied first though if he was going to succeed here. First, no MacT who loves to pick guys he doesn't like and dump them like trash. Second, no Eakins playing ridiculous systems. Third, a new goalie coach so Dubs could continue his development that was going stale with our org which is probably one of the worst all time at development. Sadly, the org didn't have the will to do 2 of those (Eakins, goalie coach) until the 14/15 season was already a failure. The MacT one, the org may never do that. So, people are probably right, Dubs couldn't have actually turned things around here, but that's an organizational failure, not all his.
That's such crap he arrived in Nashville on day 1 with 3 goalies who were all late round picks and were as follows Tomas Vokoun, Mike Dunham, and Chris Mason. These 3 ended up being developed to the point of getting chances at becoming starting goalies either in Nashville or for other organizations. Anyone who can simultaneously develop 3 semi-capable starting goalies at the same time is doing something right, Dunham is the least impressive of the 3, but had a fine run given his pedigree. Then developed Tomas Vokoun (9th round pick) with pretty unexceptional AHL stats into being a high quality starting goaltender for a number of years. Then Chris Mason who was what I'd consider to be an underwhelming starting goalie, but he came to him having pretty poor to below average WHL stats and not great AHL stats, yet still found a way to make it, Tyler Bunz as a goalie prospect would of ate his lunch, but yet we are about to cut ties with him in all likelyhood whereas Korn was making something out of people with lower pedigree and lower skill then this.

Korn also helped developed Lindback who gave them a very nice return trade wise, Vokoun also got them quality assets in return. When was the last time we traded any goalie for a good return or even developed a goalie to the point a lot of teams wanted to acquire them.

Since he's such a average goalie coach please point me to 10 other goalie coaches who have a better track record of success, or heck how about even 5. Also who are you to say he got lucky getting Rinne (8th round pick) and Hasek (10th round pick), obviously they had something very special within them to become such great goaltenders, but who is to say he didn't bring that out of them or that he made the difference between two very good goalies becoming two truly exceptional goalies.

Here is what Hasek had to say about him:

per thestar.com said:
“(Korn) was smart. He didn’t try to change my style,” Hasek said. “Because there were people who said I’m like a fish on the beach or something, and all these things, and he said, ‘I know your style is not bad at all. We just have to improve it.’ ”

He said this to Hasek after he had a 0.893 save percentage in 20 games in Chicago, Dom followed that up with a 0.896 in Buffalo over 28 games under Korn, then went completely supernova after that becoming the Hall of Famer we know today. Hasek gives a lot of credit to Tretiak in helping him, but he also credits Korn with aiding him as well. Even if Hasek was in fact Hall of Fame calibre without even the slightest whisper of encouragement or the slightest modification to his game, to even recognize when to be hands off and when to be hands on, with respect to a goalie and their development is an important skill to have. Dubnyk needed the help and he even mentioned it after the fact, talking about how he had to work on things and evolve his game to have his present success, he was just too stubborn to take it at the time.

Macblender

May 5, 2014
I like the idea of Talbot and Elliote Friedman brought up that the oilers could potentially be looking at one of John Gibson or Freddie Anderson from the Ducks. I don't think the ducks will move one of them for another year and that scares me if MacT gets set of one of them we could have another year of terrible goaltending.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
That's such crap he arrived in Nashville on day 1 with 3 goalies who were all late round picks and were as follows Tomas Vokoun, Mike Dunham, and Chris Mason. These 3 ended up being developed to the point of getting chances at becoming starting goalies either in Nashville or for other organizations. Anyone who can simultaneously develop 3 semi-capable starting goalies at the same time is doing something right, Dunham is the least impressive of the 3, but had a fine run given his pedigree. Then developed Tomas Vokoun (9th round pick) with pretty unexceptional AHL stats into being a high quality starting goaltender for a number of years. Then Chris Mason who was what I'd consider to be an underwhelming starting goalie, but he came to him having pretty poor to below average WHL stats and not great AHL stats, yet still found a way to make it, Tyler Bunz as a goalie prospect would of ate his lunch, but yet we are about to cut ties with him in all likelyhood whereas Korn was making something out of people with lower pedigree and lower skill then this.

Korn also helped developed Lindback who gave them a very nice return trade wise, Vokoun also got them quality assets in return. When was the last time we traded any goalie for a good return or even developed a goalie to the point a lot of teams wanted to acquire them.

Since he's such a average goalie coach please point me to 10 other goalie coaches who have a better track record of success, or heck how about even 5. Also who are you to say he got lucky getting Rinne (8th round pick) and Hasek (10th round pick), obviously they had something very special within them to become such great goaltenders, but who is to say he didn't bring that out of them or that he made the difference between two very good goalies becoming two truly exceptional goalies.

Here is what Hasek had to say about him:

He said this to Hasek after he had a 0.893 save percentage in 20 games in Chicago, Dom followed that up with a 0.896 in Buffalo over 28 games under Korn, then went completely supernova after that becoming the Hall of Famer we know today. Hasek gives a lot of credit to Tretiak in helping him, but he also credits Korn with aiding him as well. Even if Hasek was in fact Hall of Fame calibre without even the slightest whisper of encouragement or the slightest modification to his game, to even recognize when to be hands off and when to be hands on, with respect to a goalie and their development is an important skill to have. Dubnyk needed the help and he even mentioned it after the fact, talking about how he had to work on things and evolve his game to have his present success, he was just too stubborn to take it at the time.

Not saying Korn is terrible or anything, but he's not some kind of coaching god that Dubs should have abandoned everything he believed in and blindly followed after knowing him for a week. You can never prove that talents like Hasek and Rinne would have ended up the same under another coach, just like you couldn't prove Gretzky wouldn't have been the same player without Sather, but coaches that get guys like that under them are extremely fortunate without a doubt and not many coaches get that kind of fortune.

Really, all this Korn talk is based on a couple sentence anecdotal comment from Friedman. Korn didn't like how Dubs didn't do everything he wanted. Dubs was trying to be modest when confronted with what Korn said and just agreed, instead of starting to argue against it, which would have been pointless because he already moved on and was in the middle of successfully turning his career around. Dubs dropped little hints in future interviews that is game is still basically what he worked on with Chabot, but bolstered with head trajectory. People seem to think from that little Friedman couple sentences they know everything about Dubs psyche last season and the whole story of how Dubs was hopeless and needed the world to fall apart around him before he would put in a summer of hard work. That's what is such crap about all this.

Last edited:

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Food for thought:

If Bachman/Brossoit win the Calder cup with OKC, would you guys be okay with tossing Scrivens in favor of that duo?

No.

I think Bachman could be a good backup for now and maybe he could push for a shot to be number 1 if circumstances forced it. Broissolt needs to learn how to carry a team on his own and be the guy that's counted on every night. He shouldn't be learning that lesson in the NHL. Let him be the man in Bakersfield for at least a full season before you even think about giving him a job up here.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Not saying Korn is terrible or anything, but he's not some kind of coaching god that Dubs should have abandoned everything he believed in and blindly followed after knowing him for a week. You can never prove that talents like Hasek and Rinne would have ended up the same under another coach, just like you couldn't prove Gretzky wouldn't have been the same player without Sather, but coaches that get guys like that under them are extremely fortunate without a doubt and not many coaches get that kind of fortune.

Really, all this Korn talk is based on a couple sentence anecdotal comment from Friedman. Korn didn't like how Dubs didn't do everything he wanted. Dubs was trying to be modest when confronted with what Korn said and just agreed, instead of starting to argue against it, which would have been pointless because he already moved on and was in the middle of successfully turning his career around. Dubs dropped little hints in future interviews that is game is still basically what he worked on with Chabot, but bolstered with head trajectory. People seem to think from that little Friedman couple sentences they know everything about Dubs psyche last season and the whole story of how Dubs was hopeless and needed the world to fall apart around him before he would put in a summer of hard work. That's what is such crap about all this.

I'm in burnt biscuits' corner on this one. In regards to the bolded above, I got my info from Barry Trotz, who after Dubnyk's first start with the Preds, is on record saying "We got Devan from Edmonton, and what we realized very quickly was that Devan has a lot of… I’ll say bad habits he’s picked up this year.†That's a very damning statement to make. I firmly believe a lot of Dubnyk's problem was mental....first child, GM exploring other goaltending options, etc, etc. At the end of the day, what we can probably agree on is when Mactavish was kicking tires on Schneider and Bernier and not getting either one, they were hoping that would maybe make Dubnyk come into camp and make him earn his pay. They signed Labarbera as his backup as a "show me" gesture and he still crumbled. He also had a rock solid D in front of him in Nashville and he was still bad, which is why he didn't last long there. Just as you said above, no one can prove Dubnyk would have or wouldn't have taken it upon himself to get better and take the course on head trajectory if he had a typical average year. Money talks and since he signed for an almost league minimum salary of $800 K (77% less than his previous contract) that was the real incentive for him to figure out how to get his NHL game back because this was the end of the line for him if he didn't. That tells me there was absolutely no market for him OR he was only getting two-way offers and he'd be in the AHL to start the season. He had a lot to prove this season and I give the man full credit for stepping up to the challenge and succeeding.

I also think Mitch Korn is undeniably worthy of the praise he gets and receives. Look at Braden Holtby for example: last year with the Caps, he split time with Neuvirth and Halak where he played in 43 games, had a .915 save percentage, a 2.85 GAA and 4 shutouts. In one season under Mitch Korn, he played in 25 more games (73 games) while increasing his save percentage to .923, lowered his GAA to 2.22 and recorded 9 shutouts. He is in the top 5 in Wins, GAA and shutouts this season and he missed out on being in the top 2 for save percentage by .006 of a percentage point. I'd say Korn gets his fair share of credit in those numbers.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
No.

I think Bachman could be a good backup for now and maybe he could push for a shot to be number 1 if circumstances forced it. Broissolt needs to learn how to carry a team on his own and be the guy that's counted on every night. He shouldn't be learning that lesson in the NHL. Let him be the man in Bakersfield for at least a full season before you even think about giving him a job up here.

Oh for sure. I do believe Brossoit has it in him to carry the team though.

50 GP 23W 21L 1SL 3SO 2.59GAA 0.918S%

That's his first AHL season break down. The W/L obviously isn't something to brag about but the fact he had respectable numbers and good enough to get the Barons to OKC shows he has potential to be a bonafide starter. Perhaps another 2/3rds in the AHL is already enough for him to warrant a backup role later in the season.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I'm in burnt biscuits' corner on this one. In regards to the bolded above, I got my info from Barry Trotz, who after Dubnyk's first start with the Preds, is on record saying "We got Devan from Edmonton, and what we realized very quickly was that Devan has a lot of… I’ll say bad habits he’s picked up this year.†That's a very damning statement to make. I firmly believe a lot of Dubnyk's problem was mental....first child, GM exploring other goaltending options, etc, etc. At the end of the day, what we can probably agree on is when Mactavish was kicking tires on Schneider and Bernier and not getting either one, they were hoping that would maybe make Dubnyk come into camp and make him earn his pay. They signed Labarbera as his backup as a "show me" gesture and he still crumbled. He also had a rock solid D in front of him in Nashville and he was still bad, which is why he didn't last long there. Just as you said above, no one can prove Dubnyk would have or wouldn't have taken it upon himself to get better and take the course on head trajectory if he had a typical average year. Money talks and since he signed for an almost league minimum salary of $800 K (77% less than his previous contract) that was the real incentive for him to figure out how to get his NHL game back because this was the end of the line for him if he didn't. That tells me there was absolutely no market for him OR he was only getting two-way offers and he'd be in the AHL to start the season. He had a lot to prove this season and I give the man full credit for stepping up to the challenge and succeeding.

I also think Mitch Korn is undeniably worthy of the praise he gets and receives. Look at Braden Holtby for example: last year with the Caps, he split time with Neuvirth and Halak where he played in 43 games, had a .915 save percentage, a 2.85 GAA and 4 shutouts. In one season under Mitch Korn, he played in 25 more games (73 games) while increasing his save percentage to .923, lowered his GAA to 2.22 and recorded 9 shutouts. He is in the top 5 in Wins, GAA and shutouts this season and he missed out on being in the top 2 for save percentage by .006 of a percentage point. I'd say Korn gets his fair share of credit in those numbers.

I dont know nearly enough about Korn to have an opinion but I think your take on Dubnyk is right on the mark.

The fact that he had a long look in the mirror after multiple failures and committed himself to learning how to improve his game is very commendable. That was clearly his rock bottom and to his credit it motivated him.

Dubnyk is a great story and I sincerely hope he succeeds in his career.

OilerFan4Life

Feb 27, 2004
Heartland of Hockey
I think they trade for either Ward, Anderson, or Howard and sign O'Connor.

O'Connor and Brossoit should legitimately battle for the backup job...you stick the loser of that competition in the AHL for the year and give him 60 starts.

McArthur

May 26, 2010
Hockey Heart Land
No you are wrong. Average goal tending can be masked with good defense. No stud goalie would survive in edm right now. I don't care how good they are.

took the words right out of my mouth. Carey Price is not available... If the name of the game is improve NOW. Then we have to walk out of the draft with a proven number 1 defenseman, and have to sign a top 4. Justin Schultz available as trade bait. We need a guy that our core can learn from. much like the way Derek Roy worked with Nail Yakupov and hopefully Taylor Hall.

McArthur

May 26, 2010
Hockey Heart Land
Ramo, Neuvirth if you go with two UFAs. Ramo is a lot better than others think. He's a starter IMO. Neuvirth is a potential starter.

Doesn't matter, we'll trade Jultz for Ward. Just watch.

With Fasth as a backup??? and possibly an improved d-core(via trade) might not be earth shattering. emphasis on improved d-core. I know the wounds are still fresh with Scrivens, but he also played the most games of his career in front of one of the worst d-cores in the league. those wouldn't be easy games. Say what you will, but the only leaving in a trade is futures. might as well address the elephant in the room on the blueline.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad