OT: Scandy's Rave Party: Pullin' a All-Nighter

Status
Not open for further replies.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Especially on a turf field with no shade anywhere nearby.

Mmmmm.... sizzilicious.

giphy.gif

Last edited:

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Cobra whiskey is my limit. But that's more of a Thai thang, I think.

My Vietnamese friends here all drink Slovak plum brandy. :laugh:
I f***ing hate Brandy. But it's whatever. As a Brit I like my Gin but with my celiac lameness I have had to stop drinking Scotch and my soul feels empty. And sad. Very sad.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
It’s the same thing with shark attacks and other bull**** that the media tries to scare people with.
Yep. What you said drives me to the point I yell at the TV. Sharks kill, what, 10 people a year?
Mosquitos kill 2 million (or something crazy high) not to mention cause untold number of illness (500 million cases of malaria per year (Which animals kill the most people in the wild?)), but it isn't interesting to talk about so it's only covered when a stupid strain emerges (in Zika or West Nile).
Media is garbage and can not be trusted for anything that relies on truth.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Yep. What you said drives me to the point I yell at the TV. Sharks kill, what, 10 people a year?
Mosquitos kill 2 million (or something crazy high) not to mention cause untold number of illness (500 million cases of malaria per year (Which animals kill the most people in the wild?)), but it isn't interesting to talk about so it's only covered when a stupid strain emerges (in Zika or West Nile).
Media is garbage and can not be trusted for anything that relies on truth.
Sharks should be able to kill anyone they want.

It's their territory we're in, they're doing what they're naturally born to do...hunt and kill in THEIR environment. It's like going to the African wilderness and being angry that a Lion just attacked you, like well...duh. Right?

But actual shit that harms the world - Eh...WHAT ABOUT THE USB SUCKING STICKS BRO!!

Meanwhile, every country should be banning bottled water and other plastics like that and coming up with a better solution to get cleaner drinking water and stations for it like at a gym where you have your bottle filling station, also taxing plastic makers and people buying that stuff that they will dump, a heavier tax, making electric vehicles more affordable to own so more people want them regardless what idiotic Oil assholes want.

Etc.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
...Heading to Kyoto tomorrow to wander around Gion (geisha district) and hike up to the Fushimi Inari Shrine.

Hiroshima on Tuesday. I can't say I'm looking forward to that part, but it's an absolute necessity.

Well, this is why I preach flexibility. Osaka's miserable train system nearly ruined my day and I'm now heading back to Kyoto tomorrow to tour Gion...but I did get there in time to visit the Fushimi Inari Shrine with an intimate tour group (size: 3) and man, that was one hell of an experience. That's a cool-ass thing to begin with, but the small tour basically got me up the secret back entrance, meaning I got to see one of the coolest places I'll ever see on the planet in near total privacy. If you want pictures of moss-covered fox statues and bamboo forests that don't have 500 tourists in frame, boy do I ever have you covered.

Hiroshima moved to Wednesday largely because if I've learned anything about going to the most solemn places on the planet, it's that they're aided by having terrible hangovers...and I'm having my obligatory Japanese karaoke session with a French couple back in Osaka tomorrow night. Ugh, this is going to be the Anne Frank House all over again.

Tacitus Kilgore

May 26, 2010
Potomac, MD
Goin to Roy Rodgers tonight for a Double R burger and a "holster" of fries. Gotta get my real life role play on while playing Red Dead online. Then back to the gym tomorrow, can't look like a fat cowboy

Reactions: shoplifter

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
I just found out I may get to head to N'awlins for a conference. One of those hip new software companies that treat their annual conference like a big party. I fully expect to cosplay as a scatter plot.

For me, NOLA has the best cuisine of any major city in the US. I've never had a bad meal there

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Cigarette smoking is still a thing in Japan and it's driving me a little crazy. Just absolutely disgusting to be around and I'll never understand the 'cool' factor...I don't hold it against smokers for being lied to/pressured into it, I just don't get it. All of the smokers I grew up around are dead now, so...I mean...that's kind of a hell of an anti-smoking ad in itself.

Anyway...into things Japan does better...takoyaki is my new favorite food. I'm usually weary of 'cool' districts, but Dotonbori definitely lived up to the hype. Especially once the sun set and I started listening to the Blade Runner soundtrack while walking up and down the canal. Heading to Kyoto tomorrow to wander around Gion (geisha district) and hike up to the Fushimi Inari Shrine.

Hiroshima on Tuesday. I can't say I'm looking forward to that part, but it's an absolute necessity.
Hey guy!
Haven't heard from you since before your departure for the Big McLH world tour.

How you been. How you feeling?
How is the land of the rising sun? Sorry for all the 'How's a's', but I'm curious.

You wouldn't happen to be by / going to Sasebo would'ya? I know you posted your itenerary, but I'm too busy (in a manner) to follow someones world tour. I ask about Sasebo because there is a naval base there and that was going to be my next duty station when I re-enlisted, but I did not re-enlist so hence I've never been.

Hey, was it weird going from Cali to Japan and, in a manner of speaking, traveling into the future? Like jet lag wise?

Hope your doing and feeling well. Let me/us now whats up if you have appropriate time.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Downloaded Breaking Bad S1 for my flight to Philadelphia tomorrow.
Did you ever watch Breaking Bad before?

If so, the new movie / follow-up to the ending of the show drops in on the Netflix on 11th of October I believe. Can. Not. Wait.

If no, whew boy are you in for a treat.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Goin to Roy Rodgers tonight for a Double R burger and a "holster" of fries. Gotta get my real life role play on while playing Red Dead online. Then back to the gym tomorrow, can't look like a fat cowboy
Did you play the campaign and finish it? Is the game slow to the point of hyper-realism? If so, how do you think it works in a video game setting? Too real? Just right? Over kill? Hassle?
How is the online version of it? I played RDR on 360, but never online version of that either. I'm waiting to get a ps pro in the next month or two before I play new Red Dead.

Reactions: Tacitus Kilgore

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
Did you ever watch Breaking Bad before?

If so, the new movie / follow-up to the ending of the show drops in on the Netflix on 11th of October I believe. Can. Not. Wait.

If no, whew boy are you in for a treat.

New boy.

Only got Penguins shirts to wear around Philly :laugh:

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Hey guy!
Haven't heard from you since before your departure for the Big McLH world tour.

How you been. How you feeling?
How is the land of the rising sun? Sorry for all the 'How's a's', but I'm curious.

You wouldn't happen to be by / going to Sasebo would'ya? I know you posted your itenerary, but I'm too busy (in a manner) to follow someones world tour. I ask about Sasebo because there is a naval base there and that was going to be my next duty station when I re-enlisted, but I did not re-enlist so hence I've never been.

Hey, was it weird going from Cali to Japan and, in a manner of speaking, traveling into the future? Like jet lag wise?

Hope your doing and feeling well. Let me/us now whats up if you have appropriate time.

Exhaustion has definitely kicked in and the Osaka leg has involved a lot fewer day-trips than expected...but...eh. That's not such a bad thing. It just means that I'll be doing those cities 'proper' next time. There will be a next time...next year, if possible. For what I want to write about, Japan is an ideal subject because it is a better option for a semi-disabled person like myself because of the safety, helpful people, and public transportation.

My opinions on Osaka are all over the damn map. I can't wait to write about it. I'm sad to leave it, but at the same time I'll be happy to get away from it's utterly baffling layout and rail system. Tokyo was child's play in comparison...but Osaka definitely has the better food scene (so long as you can't eat sushi and looooooooove octopus).

I didn't make it down to Kyushu as hoped, but Sasebo wasn't really on my radar. My next Japan trip will be focused on Kyushu, so maybe then...but probably not. Kumamoto, Fukuoka, Kagoshima, Nagasaki, Beppu, and like 3 other onsen towns are in queue.

Being in the future is very weird...but the jet lag part didn't exist because I was crossing one time zone a day for more than a week, with an entire day skip somewhere in there. It was pretty easy to adapt one hour at a time, the hardest thing has been sleeping through when my friends are awake and being awake while they're sleeping. The jet lag on the way back is going to be really f***ing bad, though, as technically I arrive in Los Angeles before I take off from Sapporo...and with my back there's no way in hell I'm sleeping on a 10+ hour flight (that comes after a 2 hour flight + 3 hour layover).

Today was a waste. Rather than rush through Hiroshima I figured it'd be more respectful to give it a proper couple days next time, as I didn't realize it would take so long for me to get there. Plus I felt like garbage and slept until noon, so...yeah. Part of writing about traveling with this kind of thing is going to involve waste days like this, though, so I can't be too surprised. Tomorrow is a travel day, which will be followed by another travel day. I'll be spending the evening in Morioka, which will sadly be little more than a rest stop for me considering it'll be getting dark by the time I get in, and then I have to be on the train again before 7am on Friday to get to Sapporo in time to catch the 2-hour bus to Noboribetsu. Good thing I f***ing love trains.

Tacitus Kilgore

May 26, 2010
Potomac, MD
Did you play the campaign and finish it? Is the game slow to the point of hyper-realism? If so, how do you think it works in a video game setting? Too real? Just right? Over kill? Hassle?
How is the online version of it? I played RDR on 360, but never online version of that either. I'm waiting to get a ps pro in the next month or two before I play new Red Dead.

Yea I finished the campaign and epilogue, I enjoyed it very much and think it is on par with an A list multi million dollar movie.

The game is on the slower side, some found the beginning "tutorial" phase long, i hardly noticed it. But you're talking to a long time fan here and an owner of an original ps3 copy of RDR. After leaving the tutorial phase, you can complete the game much quicker if you only do story missions instead of side quests. If you binge it hard you could complete it in 2 weeks or less.

There are realism aspects to the game that don't necessarily slow it down, however there could be an arguement made that some of the hyper realistic animations are so good that the lengthen the gameplay time, i suppose. I think there is a decent balance of the realism in terms of keeping your character fed/clean/rested/ combined that with also keeping your horse fed/clean/rested. Which may all sound a lot, but isn't really. You often find enough resources laying around to keep your character in shape. ah right you can get fat or skinny if underfed, and there are attribute bonuses and debuffs for both, I dig that. If you're not big into RPGs this game might not be for you

Right on for getting a Playstation. RDR online differs from RDR2 in that it is essentially a create your own cowboy sim. There is still pvp though, which is heavily encouraged by R* But i'm, not to big on the pvp. I like that they add a story for your created character to play out.

Honestly there is tons and tons I could write about this game. I say play it because it has/will go down as a piece of gaming history. To really describe the game properly there are many YouTube videos i'd recommend.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad