OT: Scandy's Rave Party: Pullin' a All-Nighter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
You really should watch the Japanese version, IMO it adds to the film.

Kiki's Delivery Service is another favorite of mine but I went against the grain and absolutely did not like Spirited Away
God damn it. Fine.

First my friends make me watch Ip man 1+2 and now I gotta do subtitles for this.

Deport Ogie

Jun 30, 2014
Suburbia
And if anyone has a strong resolve, watch Grave of The Fireflies

I know enough about this one to know that I will probably never watch it. I mean from what I understand, it's amazing but I'm a total 100% sap since my kids were born and I know what I'd be doing to myself.

That being said, Ghibli is definitely a place of honor on my "need to watch someday" list.

Last edited:

Clare2904

LEGEND!
Oct 22, 2016
Montreal
I know enough about this one to know that I will probably never watch it. I mean from what I understand, it's amazing but I'm a total 100% sap since my kids were born and I know what I'd be doing to myself.

That being said, Ghibli is definitely a place of honor on my "need to watch someday" list.
It is like being kicked in the gut but I think, from a historical point of view, you should watch it.

Reactions: HandshakeLin

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
They're all worth it, but some are more worth it than others:

My rough top 5 (in no order):
Nausicaa of the Valley of the Winds
Laputa: Castle in the Sky
Princess Mononoke
Spirited Away
Kiki's Delivery Service / My Neighbor Totoro

But they're all beautiful and pretty much universally worth a watch, especially if you have kids or neices/nephews who you can watch them with.

If I had to make a top 5 it'd be some assemblage of these + Porco Rosso. Put sky pirates in something and I'm all-in.

The museum was as charming and whimsical as I expected, but lived up to the museum part of the name better than I was expecting. I could have spent hours just going over the original character sketches spread across the wall with no barriers.

The language barrier made the time restriction a non-issue as I couldn't spend hours dissecting the color exhibit when everything was exclusively in Japanese, but I knew that going in. This definitely went down as a highlight of this absurd trip and well-worth pushing Disney Sea into the next time pile in order to do.

Legitimately my only complaint is that there was almost nothing in the gift store Nausicaa-related other than models that I'd never have the patience to put together/space in my luggage to transport...so I got a blueprint diagram of the color codes used by Miyazaki for the Catbus instead.

I wanted a third Catbus plushie, but I don't think it'd fit in my luggage.
iu

Reactions: Ogrezilla

Fogel

Analytics please
May 10, 2010
PA
I can't watch a foreign language film/anime without subtitles. I've found most English dubs to be cringeworthy and don't convey the same sense of the scene/dialog that the original language carries.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I can't watch a foreign language film/anime without subtitles. I've found most English dubs to be cringeworthy and don't convey the same sense of the scene/dialog that the original language carries.

Completely agree.

I actually put subtitles on more or less everything, anymore. I catch so much stuff I wouldn't usually catch.

Deport Ogie

Jun 30, 2014
Suburbia
That was actually a revelation I had a few years ago when I accidentally turned on the subtitles for Brad Pitt's role in Snatch. Amazing.

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
I realized that watching The Dark on Netflix. That show is pretty out there. I think I need to wait for it to be done and sit down and binge it.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I've only been in the Cayman islands for a couple of hours now, but man, everyone is so nice here. It is very American here, it's more like the US than UK despite being in the UK.

Of course I get to spend my first night here doing HW that I put off :laugh:

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I've only been in the Cayman islands for a couple of hours now, but man, everyone is so nice here. It is very American here, it's more like the US than UK despite being in the UK.

Of course I get to spend my first night here doing HW that I put off :laugh:
HW with a view, mate. It's a downer, but a beautiful downer. Go do it by the beach, you wanker.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Completely agree.

I actually put subtitles on more or less everything, anymore. I catch so much stuff I wouldn't usually catch.
Sometimes, in the bedroom, I won't be able to sleep and instead of going downstairs to watch something, I will connect the roku to headphones or put the volume really low and put subtitles on, it's become a habit, but none of the stuff I watch requires it really, so my complaint is asinine.

I will 100% admit my stubborn ass sat through both IP Man movies with subtitles and enjoyed both movies a great deal and felt like an ass putting it off for so long because of it.

But man, I still remember getting a bootleg copy of Ong Bak with subtitles and one of the characters was named "Dirty Balls..."

I don't know if that was ever accurate or the movie was way weirder than I thought.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
As someone that loves the creative process, having an industrial design and arts background, I love the show Abstract on Netflix.

But some episodes....man, I am watching one on Season 2 about making toys/play areas, this lady going on about "It's like...toys were made back then to just keep kids busy."

tenor.gif

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
As someone that loves the creative process, having an industrial design and arts background, I love the show Abstract on Netflix.

But some episodes....man, I am watching one on Season 2 about making toys/play areas, this lady going on about "It's like...toys were made back then to just keep kids busy."

tenor.gif
:laugh:

And as soon as the camera shuts off, she's on her phone playing candy crush.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
:laugh:

And as soon as the camera shuts off, she's on her phone playing candy crush.
It's annoying they played up her sexuality and gender identity, has like nothing to do with toys and her job, but it was like Netflix saying "yo, we woke yo..." lol. It's driving me nuts I can't figure out what pen she's using, like the vast amount of stuff I blow money on, I have a collection of Mont Blanc pens, but use crappier Pentel and Pilot pens to draw and design with in my spare time, but I like her pen, I want to know which pen that is.

Also, jesus christ, that Prof. Oxman, how the hell does anyone stay focused when your prof at MIT is like a jaw dropping stunner that is also incredibly talented and intelligent.

Reactions: SHOOTANDSCORE

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
@Big McLargehuge I'm going to have to get some suggestions on Japan at some point, I'm going for 10 days in March. Sounds like you're having a great time there.

What parts are you going to?

No Mt. Fuji for me today as my exhaustion fully took over and is requiring me to lay low today, but that gives me a chance to at least attempt to schedule these next few days. Too many things to do, not enough time to do it...unfortunately I think Kumamoto will be the city on the chopping block as it's an ~8 hour round-trip from Osaka and in the completely opposite direction of where I need to be going on my last unbooked day. Oh well.

There's so much to see in Tokyo. It's not my favorite city by any stretch, but it takes a week just to see all of the 'cool' districts. I'm not going to end up getting to Ginza or Roppongi on this trip.

I'm trying to decide if I want to lug my camera gear around with me tonight for the bar crawl. I'm getting so sick of carrying that weight around on my back...quite literally, it's destroying my back, but it's kinda part of the job so...I love solo travel and want to blog about that aspect of travel as much as I can...but doing that while being the camera guy is too much work. I've barely taken any video because there are limits to what I can do at one time. I can either take pictures or videos. GoPros don't really work for what I'm doing.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
I think it is way too simplistic to say that toys were made just to keep kids busy.

A kid will play with any loose or new object.

It's like, you pick up a stick and throw it or roll a rock or whatever. You're learning motor skills and discovering real world physics.

Toys are just the highly polished end game of that learning process because a car is more fun than a rock to 'drive' around in the dirt.

EightyOne

Nov 23, 2016
I'm trying to decide if I want to lug my camera gear around with me tonight for the bar crawl. I'm getting so sick of carrying that weight around on my back...quite literally, it's destroying my back, but it's kinda part of the job so...I love solo travel and want to blog about that aspect of travel as much as I can...but doing that while being the camera guy is too much work. I've barely taken any video because there are limits to what I can do at one time. I can either take pictures or videos. GoPros don't really work for what I'm doing.

This might sound odd....but....why not video blog anyway with all the obvious signs of the pain/trials and tribulations?

Just be upfront that it is extremely physically demanding. It may not be the Hollywood production you want, but it might be enough to inspire others going through trying times as well to not quit.

I enjoy the real gritty stuff more than 15 flash cuts with epic BWAAAAH electro music thumbnail baiting Instagram model bullshit. Cause that shit is a lie. Travelling a long time is often difficult for anyone and you aren't all smiles and energy all the damn time.

I have enjoyed a motorsports event called the Dakar Rally for a couple decades. Sure it is neat when they interview the richie-rich guys in perfect gear and expensive vehicles at the end of an 800 mile day racing over sand dunes.

But you know what has been the MOST compelling the last few years? When they've strapped cameras and mics on the back runners...the guys fixing their dirt bikes with bailing wire....the people crashing...the ones who spent 18 hours on the course and are about to get 2 hours of sleep before the next day's stage starts...the ones literally crying when they see their race going poorly.

THAT is compelling because it is real.

Reactions: Big McLargehuge

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I think it is way too simplistic to say that toys were made just to keep kids busy.

A kid will play with any loose or new object.

It's like, you pick up a stick and throw it or roll a rock or whatever. You're learning motor skills and discovering real world physics.

Toys are just the highly polished end game of that learning process because a car is more fun than a rock to 'drive' around in the dirt.
I have my sister in law over with my niece and nephew, brother was out of town in SD for a week so I told her to come stay here since I am also stuck without company and she has family around here, so I am babysitting these two rug rats and we watched Toy Story 4.

A kid is playing with a spork. That's what toys are for, imagination.

When I played with my GI Joes toys, I was in their world creating things, same with my drawings as a kid. That's what toys are, that's what being a kid is about, letting your mind roam and be free of the complications of being an adult and real life shit.

In a simplified explanation - A distraction.

EightyOne

Nov 23, 2016
I agree with much of that.

I just, I just think it is more important than something that just burns energy.

While using your imagination you were living in your head. Getting to know yourself and forming the ideas and ways you think.

While playing with other toys, you are learning how things work.

Drawing clues you in to how to observe the world and recreate objects or put ideas to paper.

I mean, shit, take hockey. Yeah on the face of it, you can distract yourself by merely hitting a puck on ice with a stick. But your body has to learn how to move and build skills etc. Your brain grows. Your muscles grow. And you learn how to be successful. It isn't just killing an afternoon.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I agree with much of that.

I just, I just think it is more important than something that just burns energy.

While using your imagination you were living in your head. Getting to know yourself and forming the ideas and ways you think.

While playing with other toys, you are learning how things work.

Drawing clues you in to how to observe the world and recreate objects or put ideas to paper.

I mean, ****, take hockey. Yeah on the face of it, you can distract yourself by merely hitting a puck on ice with a stick. But your body has to learn how to move and build skills etc. Your brain grows. Your muscles grow. And you learn how to be successful. It isn't just killing an afternoon.
Yeah I get ya, I think the issue today is that kids are glued to their devices, they're being creative but they're also building this satisfaction quota these games are building up for them, the loot boxes, the how many friends you have, the amount of likes, views, how high your gamer score is, etc.

I don't see my nephew and nice as much as I would like, but I face time them probably every other day, so I see them that way since they live in San Diego. But my parents spend time there a month at a time and my niece is 1, they're going on about how she's so smart and etc...

But the thing is, kids that have an older sibling, they mimic a great deal. I love watching them. My niece will sit there watching her brother do something, then she will grab a toy and do the same thing, will say the same words. I love studying those two, my nephew will do stuff his dad does because of course, his dad is his hero, but then to her, my nephew is her hero so she copies everything they do.

They're passed the phase of fighting (He's turning 4, she's 1), they hug and do cute shit. But when I sit with them, I turn off the tv after a cartoon movie and give them a huge pad of paper and some crayons and just let them go to town. I love seeing what their minds come up with, my niece is 1 so it's usually just random scribbling and colors she's curious about.

My nephew though, he will draw his family, things he likes, but never anything more than that. I can tell my brother and sister in law don't read to these two anymore, lol.

That is something that is big with me and my gf and we talked about it when we have kids, we both love to read. There are weekends we're in the same room just reading a book and it's peace and quiet. I love those days. I don't want to be one of those hipster people with kids, but man I really want kids to explore their creativity and imagination.

Reactions: EightyOne

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
This might sound odd....but....why not video blog anyway with all the obvious signs of the pain/trials and tribulations?

Just be upfront that it is extremely physically demanding. It may not be the Hollywood production you want, but it might be enough to inspire others going through trying times as well to not quit.

I enjoy the real gritty stuff more than 15 flash cuts with epic BWAAAAH electro music thumbnail baiting Instagram model bull****. Cause that **** is a lie. Travelling a long time is often difficult for anyone and you aren't all smiles and energy all the damn time.

I have enjoyed a motorsports event called the Dakar Rally for a couple decades. Sure it is neat when they interview the richie-rich guys in perfect gear and expensive vehicles at the end of an 800 mile day racing over sand dunes.

But you know what has been the MOST compelling the last few years? When they've strapped cameras and mics on the back runners...the guys fixing their dirt bikes with bailing wire....the people crashing...the ones who spent 18 hours on the course and are about to get 2 hours of sleep before the next day's stage starts...the ones literally crying when they see their race going poorly.

THAT is compelling because it is real.

Honestly? I don't know what the f*** I'm doing and I'm overwhelmed.

I don't give a shit how I look, it's just that I'm overwhelmed because I'm trying to do too much at once after so long of nothingness. On one hand this trip is business...but on the other hand this trip is about making me want to live life again. I'm juggling too many balls and I'm f***ing terrible at juggling.

On another note I had eel tonight because I f***ing love eel and felt like treating myself after not being able to have sushi yet again...
1002b3129140c81e7ff4e56a1a0c868a.gif

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Some people are insufferable.

The same people that don't even watch Titans, are whining about Aqualad in Titans Season 2, the question?

Why is he white?

tenor.gif

Because that's Garth.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
The worst people are always upset about shit they don't understand, more at 11.

Anyway...this was a really, really weird night that very nearly left me completely lost with a dead cell phone in a city/country without street names.

Smart phones are an amazing thing...but if you rely exclusively on them it's quite easy to get f***ed when your battery decides to go from 66% to dead in record time. Good thing I bailed on the last subway of the night (what kind of city known for its nightlife ends public transportation at midnight on a Saturday night?) in order to order a hideously overpriced Uber Black right before my battery died. I'd have had no hope of finding my place without it with the language barrier coupled with this being my first day in Osaka.

And good thing the building code in this unmanned hotel was my dad's old debit pin :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad