OT: Scandy's Rave Party: Pullin' a All-Nighter

Status
Not open for further replies.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
I mean, I put flour on the beef. That's not what a roux is though, is it?

I ain't no culinary school graduate, but I was told by my mother that a roux was basically just flour and fat, however you put it together. So, when you flour the meat and you cook it with butter or oil, it's natural fat plus the added fat creates the equivalent of a roux, in practice, especially if you deglaze the pan with wine or another alcohol.

But yeah, I guess most people just think of the French sauce which you make with butter and flour before adding to another dish, but I think in the end, it kind of evens out. :laugh: :dunno:

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I ain't no culinary school graduate, but I was told by my mother that a roux was basically just flour and fat, however you put it together. So, when you flour the meat and you cook it with butter or oil, it's natural fat plus the added fat creates the equivalent of a roux, in practice, especially if you deglaze the pan with wine or another alcohol.

But yeah, I guess most people just think of the French sauce which you make with butter and flour before adding to another dish, but I think in the end, it kind of evens out. :laugh: :dunno:
that's exactly what I did, red wine and all. I guess I would consider a roux something you make separately and add as needed. But this is just adding exactly the same thing as you go instead of separately.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
No longer use Netflix.

They have no direction.

Just shotgunning new shows and movies and stuff and putting resources into NEXT!!! rather than what they already have.

I get that they are trying to constantly hook new audiences. But it grew old for me.

I think Netflix figures show that after 2 seasons, shows stop pulling new people. So they can a lot of shows after 2 seasons.

I look forwards to the point at which people stop subscribing to something that cans everything early.

Real talk, you have no idea how right this is, especially in the industry. :laugh:

Aside, my girl and I are buying our tickets home for the holidays. Our tickets from PIT to Taipei? $600. Our tickets from Taipei to Prague? $500. The cheapest ticket I can find to PIT from Prague is $1000 per person. :laugh: :cry:

Insane. Anyone have a preferred airline booking site into PIT? Who are the major airlines that fly into Pittsburgh anyway these days?

There's a British Airways direct from Heathrow that might help you. Admittedly we got a sale, but me and the wife are going back for under GBP1000, and I can't imagine Prague to Heathrow is that expensive. Shame WowAir went under as they'd have been great for you.

I used Skyscanner when I was shopping around, but these days the BA direct route owns my heart.

I was going to make steak tacos, but now I am considering beef stew.

Split the difference and have braised beef tacos?

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
TRUTH.

Also, I made a French style beef stew a few weeks ago which required a **** ton of mustard, but man was it worth it.

I basically half-assed this recipe and it came out amazing: dijon and cognac beef stew
I just had a bowl of mine and it's fantastic. It's sort of a mix of recipes. Brown the floured beef in olive oil. Pull it out then throw in the onions, garlic, and basalmic and red wine vinegar. After that cooks a few minutes, add some tomato paste. Then get the meat back in and add red wine and beef broth. Golden potatoes and carrots after it cooks for a while. Super good.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
There's a British Airways direct from Heathrow that might help you. Admittedly we got a sale, but me and the wife are going back for under GBP1000, and I can't imagine Prague to Heathrow is that expensive. Shame WowAir went under as they'd have been great for you.

Yeah, BA's still quoting us $3500 for two people, one way. For reference, our flights from PIT to TPE cost $800 for both of us. I have no idea what's going on with that, except for the fact that it's close to Christmas (I'm stuck teaching until the 19th). :(

But the PIT-TPE flights are also around the peak NYE travel times, so I'm still shocked that the shortest leg of our trip is costing us so much.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
I just had a bowl of mine and it's fantastic. It's sort of a mix of recipes. Brown the floured beef in olive oil. Pull it out then throw in the onions, garlic, and basalmic and red wine vinegar. After that cooks a few minutes, add some tomato paste. Then get the meat back in and add red wine and beef broth. Golden potatoes and carrots after it cooks for a while. Super good.

Damn dude, I want a bowl of that. :laugh:

Next time though, seriously throw some dijon mustard in there. It's great.

Reactions: Ogrezilla

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Damn dude, I want a bowl of that. :laugh:

Next time though, seriously throw some dijon mustard in there. It's great.
does it taste like dijon mustard? Because I don't really like dijon mustard.

And if you stop over you can have a bowl. I'm on Neville Island. I hear you're planning a trip :laugh:

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
does it taste like dijon mustard? Because I don't really like dijon mustard.

And if you stop over you can have a bowl. I'm on Neville Island. I hear you're planning a trip :laugh:

It doesn't! That's the thing-- it just makes the stew richer tasting, especially if you deglaze the pan with red wine or cognac. I ate it for every meal for like 3 days and didn't get tired of it. :laugh: And, of course, you can adjust it to taste, a little dijon goes a long way, or you could even just put some regular ol' American yellow mustard in there.

Man, Neville's a bit far away from my folks, but we can swing by on our way back from the airport into Heroin County. :laugh:

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
It doesn't! That's the thing-- it just makes the stew richer tasting, especially if you deglaze the pan with red wine or cognac. I ate it for every meal for like 3 days and didn't get tired of it. :laugh: And, of course, you can adjust it to taste, a little dijon goes a long way, or you could even just put some regular ol' American yellow mustard in there.

Man, Neville's a bit far away from my folks, but we can swing by on our way back from the airport into Heroin County. :laugh:
At this point I do almost all of my cooking in big batches on Sunday and eat throughout the week. If a meal isn't good enough to eat a few times, I'm not cooking it. Two or three different meals is enough variety for me to get through a week, and is much better than having to cook after work imo.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Yeah, BA's still quoting us $3500 for two people, one way. For reference, our flights from PIT to TPE cost $800 for both of us. I have no idea what's going on with that, except for the fact that it's close to Christmas (I'm stuck teaching until the 19th). :(

But the PIT-TPE flights are also around the peak NYE travel times, so I'm still shocked that the shortest leg of our trip is costing us so much.

Ouch. That's rough.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Ouch. That's rough.

I have no idea what's going on with it. We've gotten prices around 1800 for two people, but something weird is going on with EU-US flights. Maybe the tariffs or general incompetent US political f***ery? But it's nuts how flying 2/3 of the way around the globe costs us so much less than shorter, more well-established routes.

Clare2904

LEGEND!
Oct 22, 2016
Montreal
BA is up the wall right now. I'm looking at going home in June for my Gran's 90th. The flight going out is fine but coming back it says from $504 but when you look at the various class of cabin the cheapest price is $2220!!! No where is the $504 flight that it quotes right above the list!

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
BAHHH
I just dl Joker and go to play it and its in RUSSIAN!
BAHHH
Have to redl the whole thing.

dogthateats

May 26, 2011
discord.gg
You guys make a fancier beef stew than me haha. I have never used a recipe. I usually:
  • caramelize onions and garlic in olive oil
  • coat beef in seasoned flour
  • Brown Beef with onion and garlic mixture
  • Add celery, carrots, potatoes, herbs and cook for a little bit
  • Add beef broth or stock if I can find it
  • let simmer as long as possible, but usually sneak bowls before it is optimal
it turns out good, but I feel like vinegar/wine/cognac/dijon mustard etc. would put it over the top and add nice complexity/richness

Reactions: Peat and Ogrezilla

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
You guys make a fancier beef stew than me haha. I have never used a recipe. I usually:
  • caramelize onions and garlic in olive oil
  • coat beef in seasoned flour
  • Brown Beef with onion and garlic mixture
  • Add celery, carrots, potatoes, herbs and cook for a little bit
  • Add beef broth or stock if I can find it
  • let simmer as long as possible, but usually sneak bowls before it is optimal
it turns out good, but I feel like vinegar/wine/cognac/dijon mustard etc. would put it over the top and add nice complexity/richness
yeah the extra kick to the broth is all you're missing compared to mine. Mine came from recipes, but I have mixed a couple together I think. If nothing else, I don't measure how much of anything goes in. When I say some x or some y, I kind of just eyeball it.

Reactions: dogthateats

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Ah soup, the worst beverage delivery method on the planet.

I mean, I can't eat almost anything that makes soups good...so this is less of a hot take as it is 95% of soups (and all good ones) having at least one ingredient that makes me violently sick, so...erm...I'm gonna go stand over there while yinz enjoy your chunky drinks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad