OT: Scandy's Rave Party: Pullin' a All-Nighter

Status
Not open for further replies.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
....now that it's happened, I almost feel bad for Brad

Iggy Smalls

Jun 6, 2010
Best way to do Japan is with a JR pass, even if just for a few days. Tokyo is great, but one should do everything they can to at least get to Kyoto. My past trip used Tokyo as a hub. From there I did Fujinomiya, Osaka, Kyoto, Hiroshima, Matsuyama, Tokyo. I found Kyoto more stunning than Tokyo. The sub system is also extremely simple.

If anyone needs hostel recommendations let me know as they are the only accommodation I use. Oak Hostel in Tokyo provides all guests with their own cheap smartphone with unlimited data. It is fantastic for transit directions in a city you have never visited. And it's completely free to use as long as you are a guest.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
You have a catbus plush?

I HATE YOU!

Just kidding, but I want that catbus :mad:

Well just for that I bought a second catbus plush for myself.

I never owned plushies as a kid...but now I have a bonafide Monafide shelf of them. Morgana from P5, Teddy from P4, Jiji from Kiki's Delivery Service, Totoro, Catbus, and a Tonberry from Final Fantasy. That's what happens when somebody says they think it's weird that I bought a plush...I now have a reason to start buying more of them. Plus my backpack has a Jack Frost (SMT/Persona) & the first Catbus dangling from it to complete the weeb poser look.
XCrI6SRTn-IbD_O6DuppDR18WAU=.gif

Ghibli museum tomorrow...there's still time for a third Catbus.

Oh, and Akihabara...huh. That was...huh. I always figured the stereotypes were completely overblown and borderline fictional (like Harajuku being mostly absent of anything resembling a 'Harajuku girl')...and then you start wandering into stores.
iu

Anyway...I spent all day today touring temples & shrines.

Reactions: Ogrezilla

Clare2904

LEGEND!
Oct 22, 2016
Montreal

I never owned plushies as a kid...but now I have a bonafide Monafide shelf of them. Morgana from P5, Teddy from P4, Jiji from Kiki's Delivery Service, Totoro, Catbus, and a Tonberry from Final Fantasy. That's what happens when somebody says they think it's weird that I bought a plush...I now have a reason to start buying more of them. Plus my backpack has a Jack Frost (SMT/Persona) & the first Catbus dangling from it to complete the weeb poser look.

Oh, and Akihabara...huh. That was...huh. I always figured the stereotypes were completely overblown and borderline fictional (like Harajuku being mostly absent of anything resembling a 'Harajuku girl')...and then you start wandering into stores.
iu

I am no longer talking to you, goodbye.

Reactions: Big McLargehuge

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012

iu

My gf and her friends are there and some how she's text bombing the shit out of my phone right now complaining about one of the gals she went there with and how old school the trains are as well as her breakfast, which was beef tongue on rice.

Also, a lot of pictures of Geisha's and me misunderstanding who/what they are and asking her if they are prosties or what.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Jesus Christ, is Marvel/Disney just trying to over saturate the f*** out of everything?

Aren't the GOT guys doing a new Star Wars thing and then Rhian doing a Stars Wars thing, now we have a Mandalorian show coming out and Kevin Feige wants to do Star Wars as well?

f***, it's like the WWE monopolizing shit and then doing whatever they want because they can. I recently read that Chris Jericho went to some new thing that is being run by Rhodes, good for them, I hope that one takes off and doesn't get bought out.

Also, Marvel and DC doing Kirby's Immortals and New Gods...why? Both are stupid af, Immortals is lol and New Gods with Anna Duvernay (yikes with that director)...

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I need to watch this Ghibli stuff. Are they all worth it? Does order matter?
My gf was mentioning how huge it was in Japan when she got there and I was trying to find it on Netflix, I thought it had it but it doesn't anymore?

I am curious now as well. I guess I can do the subtitles for it.

Reactions: Ogrezilla

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
My Neighbour Totoro, one of the best films EVER. Catbus is a character.

Yeah, Catbus rules. I got my nephews a Catbus and Jiji from Japan last year too.

@Honour Over Glory, the problem is Hayao Miyazaki and Ghibli don't really do streaming, per se. Disney owns their distribution rights outside of Japan, but I'm pretty sure Miyazaki forbids them from doing any digital downloadable delivery of the films- you need to buy the BR or DVD.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
I need to watch this Ghibli stuff. Are they all worth it? Does order matter?

They're all worth it, but some are more worth it than others:

My rough top 5 (in no order):
Nausicaa of the Valley of the Winds
Laputa: Castle in the Sky
Princess Mononoke
Spirited Away
Kiki's Delivery Service / My Neighbor Totoro

But they're all beautiful and pretty much universally worth a watch, especially if you have kids or neices/nephews who you can watch them with.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Yeah, Catbus rules. I got my nephews a Catbus and Jiji from Japan last year too.

@Honour Over Glory, the problem is Hayao Miyazaki and Ghibli don't really do streaming, per se. Disney owns their distribution rights outside of Japan, but I'm pretty sure Miyazaki forbids them from doing any digital downloadable delivery of the films- you need to buy the BR or DVD.
I probably shouldn't mention that I have downloaded the torrent then.

Reactions: Clare2904
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad