Saying goodbye to Fugu - Update: Obituary in OP

King Woodballs

Captain Awesome
Sep 25, 2007
Your Mind
Fugu was one of the best. Had great chats on the business board, She also could have banned me a few times (and rightfully so) but never did.
Condolences to her friends and family. She will be missed.

Reactions: Chairman Maouth

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
This is the most touching thread I have ever read through. I never knew Fugu, and the few times I had a discussion with her I always came away with the same "this person really knows what they are talking about". And the respect she showed to all of us was always appreciated. From everything I've read a truly wonderful person has left us. RIP.

MrFugu

Sep 21, 2018
Hi all. Phil here again. I thought I would share a little more ancient history on my wife Barbara and how we first met as it (of course) involves hockey. She had recently moved to Madison, Wisconsin, where I was a student at the university. We each had friends from schools who worked together in Michigan and they decided to road trip to Madison. We met, and shortly after that, I called her up and invited her to join me at a Wisconsin Badgers hockey game. At that point, I didn't know if she even liked hockey, but I was a big fan and thought I could educate her a bit. As we sat for the pre-game skate, I started to explain the off sides and icing rules, to help her enjoy the game more. She quickly informed me that she had been following the NHL since she was 7 years old and that of course she knew about icing! Wow. The first hockey date I ever had who knew the game. We went on to 32 years together, including a great many Red Wings games, where we were season ticket holders. Bear in mind, converting her to be a Red Wings fan was no easy feat, since she had grown up a Blackhawks fan in Chicago. Working on my side were the fact that she was still mad at Bill Wirtz for taking the Hawks off broadcast TV, the fact that the Wings had a solid line up of Russian players, and that the Wings had just signed Chris Chelios (a former Wisconsin Badger and of course famous for saying when he was with Chicago that he would never play for Detroit!) I think she always had a soft spot for the Hawks, but we were happy Wings fans for many years.

Thanks to all of you for the kind words. It's great to hear about her friends and interactions here on HF, and I hope you can also get a glimpse of what a great person she was IRL.

Phil

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
Hi all. Phil here again. I thought I would share a little more ancient history on my wife Barbara and how we first met as it (of course) involves hockey. She had recently moved to Madison, Wisconsin, where I was a student at the university. We each had friends from schools who worked together in Michigan and they decided to road trip to Madison. We met, and shortly after that, I called her up and invited her to join me at a Wisconsin Badgers hockey game. At that point, I didn't know if she even liked hockey, but I was a big fan and thought I could educate her a bit. As we sat for the pre-game skate, I started to explain the off sides and icing rules, to help her enjoy the game more. She quickly informed me that she had been following the NHL since she was 7 years old and that of course she knew about icing! Wow. The first hockey date I ever had who knew the game. We went on to 32 years together, including a great many Red Wings games, where we were season ticket holders. Bear in mind, converting her to be a Red Wings fan was no easy feat, since she had grown up a Blackhawks fan in Chicago. Working on my side were the fact that she was still mad at Bill Wirtz for taking the Hawks off broadcast TV, the fact that the Wings had a solid line up of Russian players, and that the Wings had just signed Chris Chelios (a former Wisconsin Badger and of course famous for saying when he was with Chicago that he would never play for Detroit!) I think she always had a soft spot for the Hawks, but we were happy Wings fans for many years.

Thanks to all of you for the kind words. It's great to hear about her friends and interactions here on HF, and I hope you can also get a glimpse of what a great person she was IRL.

Phil
It's nice that she was able to be around for the Hawks breaking the streak and winning 3 in 5 years. Thanks for sharing, I enjoyed reading that and my sincerest condolences to you.

PatrikBerglund

May 29, 2017

Phil

You seem to be a very strong human being, Phil.

I wish I had that strenght and could handle losses better.

Lilou

t-.-t
Oct 29, 2008
Scarborough, ON
I always enjoyed reading Fugu's posts. She was very knowledgeable, respectful, and I never saw her lash out at anyone. Amazing considering how long she has was here. Rest in peace, Fugu. My condolences to you Phil.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
I am genuinely sorry to hear of this, I have been around HF for quite a few years, and enjoyed reading her posts. My condolences to all that knew and loved her.

Pyromaniac

May 29, 2012
I recognised the name but I just decided to look into her posts yesterday and realized who this was.

Fugu was a staple on the BOH forum. Her contributions were nothing short of amazing. She took the time to respond to people and she definitely imparted quite a bit of her knowledge.

This really hits me quite hard. I remember her posts about Octupi and it's heartbreaking that she was lost to the same illness.

I am so sorry for your loss Phil, I don't know have any words that can ease your pain. I only knew how amazing Fugu was due to her forum posts, which was only a glimpse into who she was as a person.

FVM

This does not please me.
Jan 26, 2010
Vantaa, Finland
I have used HFBoards for a good while now and I find it very entertaining, useful and informative, even when it can be so very frustrating at times. I never really knew Fugu well, nor interacted with her. But I remember her name popping up here and there, and always next to a well-reasoned, thoughftul post. It seems like HFBoards has lost one of its pillars and driving forces.

I'm sorry for the news and my heart goes out to her loved ones. May she rest in peace.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad