Saying goodbye to Fugu - Update: Obituary in OP

Chairman Maouth

Retired Staff
Apr 29, 2009
Comox Valley
Hi. We held Barbara's celebration of life on Monday, and we set up a table on the side of the room with an HF Boards theme. The monitor had a slide show with quotations from her friends on HF, the really nice framed Red Wings themed photo that Fenway sent, a framed fugu tile that Barbara loved, and of course Red Wings jerseys of Lidstrom, Shanahan, Fedorov and Datsyuk. I'm attaching an image of the table. Thanks again to all of you for the kind words since Barbara's passing. --philView attachment 146049
Very nice Phil. You did her friends here proud.

PatrikBerglund

May 29, 2017
Hi. We held Barbara's celebration of life on Monday, and we set up a table on the side of the room with an HF Boards theme. The monitor had a slide show with quotations from her friends on HF, the really nice framed Red Wings themed photo that Fenway sent, a framed fugu tile that Barbara loved, and of course Red Wings jerseys of Lidstrom, Shanahan, Fedorov and Datsyuk. I'm attaching an image of the table. Thanks again to all of you for the kind words since Barbara's passing. --philView attachment 146049

Absolutely beautiful and heart-breaking at the same time.

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
Haven't been around for a while, but since I just lost a friend today I intended to come here to cheer me up... What a terrible day. I want to express my deepest sympathies to MrFugu and Fugu's family and friends. R.I.P. fellow hockey fan.

"Life is eternal, and love is immortal, and death is only a horizon; And a horizon is nothing, save the limit of our sight." - Rossiter W. Raymond

The Expert

Registered Expert
Aug 31, 2008
BC
Rarely use hfboards these days but had to login when I saw this thread. I'm really sad to read this. I didn't get to talk Fugu a lot but I was quite a rebel in my early days on HFBoards and remember her still being very helpful and considerate. Genuinely kind. Condolonces and best of luck, in any way you find.
Haven't used hf to post in years, but hard not to with news like this. Even when messaging me to notify me of my latest infraction, it was hard to blame Fugu for making the board and the internet a better place.

Condolences, keep on keeping on legend.

Walkingthroughforest

I got the worst ******* attorneys
Aug 19, 2007
I needed a little time for reflection since I last posted.

I've been on HF for a long time. Longer than some of our current posters have been alive. And like @The Expert and @XO and @Squiffy, I haven't been very active for quite awhile now.

In my younger years I was, for a lack of a better word, an asshole. It wasn't uncommon for me to find an infraction waiting for me in my inbox from Parabola as I went on some Canucks tirade, or tried to stir some shit and flame posters for not agreeing that Jarome Iginla was the best player of his generation (which I still stand behind). It also wasn't uncommon to see some wonderful and insightful posting by some incredible posters like Octopi.

Fugu was one the only members of the Mod/Admin team to give me the time of day when discussing infractions or concern about topics. She was kind, and caring, and I valued having her as someone who was a part of this site, day in and day out.

Those days are long gone, for all of it. But they happened, and it mattered. I hope the rest of HF can understand how much this site mattered to a lot of us. We grew up here, finished high school, graduated university, and started our lives all while being a part of this community. It can be easy to get into a flame war and hate another teams fanbase broadly and quickly, but understand that this forum was built by a community that stuck together through thick and very, very thin. Together. So do your best to honour that.

RIP Barbara. You mattered, and you will never be forgotten.

Chairman Maouth

Retired Staff
Apr 29, 2009
Comox Valley

I've been on HF for a long time. Longer than some of our current posters have been alive. And like @The Expert and @XO and @Squiffy, I haven't been very active for quite awhile now.

In my younger years I was, for a lack of a better word, an *******. It wasn't uncommon for me to find an infraction waiting for me in my inbox from Parabola as I went on some Canucks tirade, or tried to stir some **** and flame posters for not agreeing that Jarome Iginla was the best player of his generation (which I still stand behind). It also wasn't uncommon to see some wonderful and insightful posting by some incredible posters like Octopi.

Fugu was one the only members of the Mod/Admin team to give me the time of day when discussing infractions or concern about topics. She was kind, and caring, and I valued having her as someone who was a part of this site, day in and day out.

Those days are long gone, for all of it. But they happened, and it mattered. I hope the rest of HF can understand how much this site mattered to a lot of us. We grew up here, finished high school, graduated university, and started our lives all while being a part of this community. It can be easy to get into a flame war and hate another teams fanbase broadly and quickly, but understand that this forum was built by a community that stuck together through thick and very, very thin. Together. So do your best to honour that.

I understand.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC

In my younger years I was, for a lack of a better word, an *******. It wasn't uncommon for me to find an infraction waiting for me in my inbox from Parabola as I went on some Canucks tirade, or tried to stir some **** and flame posters for not agreeing that Jarome Iginla was the best player of his generation (which I still stand behind). It also wasn't uncommon to see some wonderful and insightful posting by some incredible posters like Octopi.

Totally understand everything you say here. Especially the last paragraph. Nicely written.

Kojo

Nov 22, 2013
I never read any of her post but I was sad instantly when I heard the bad news. Even now I'm fighting tears.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003

It's extremely sad that two of the other posters you mentioned have also passed away.

And Fugu, being the kind of person she was, was one of the first to offer her condolences in Octopi's thread:

OT: - Wings fan, and HFBoards user, octopi passed away in July

If she knew she was fighting cancer herself at this point, I can only imagine how difficult it must have been to make that post.

Reactions: Redwingsfan

CanuckleBerry

Benning Survivor
Sep 27, 2017
New Westminster
Was avoiding this thread for a while, but I'm glad I dove in. Nostalgic, and in a good way. I originally posted under the account "RingWraith", but have long since lost my login info for that one and just started a new account. Looking through this reminded me of names I had forgotten, and it made me realize just how long I've been coming and going on this site. Joined 2003 originally. Feels like a lifetime ago. And a couple generations of Canucks teams.

Dirtyclapper

Sep 3, 2021
North Van
I used to post under a different log in alonnnng time ago. Just recently came back to these forums, I did not know Fugu passed away. RIP :(

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad