Saying goodbye to Fugu - Update: Obituary in OP

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
So I'm going through my old HFBoards email address where on the previous forum I had all PM notifications forwarded to. I just wanted to find some conversations I had with Fugu but I did find that apparently I was told by another mod that she had cancer 2 years ago.

Now I'm bummed I never reached out to her and that I completely forgot about it.

The PM was one of those "you didn't hear this from me" type of things so I must have not wanted to mention to Fugu that I heard about it.

I exchanged a few emails and DMs with her and the last one I had was from Feb when there was some talk of Seattle coming in next season and she said she hoped to be at the wings game--Me being me just thought that Seattle would be a tough ticket to get or something

Reactions: Kane One

Nut Upstrom

You dirty dog!
Dec 18, 2010
Florida
I read the forum for a long time before deciding to join and contribute. I rarely ventured beyond the Red Wings forum back then, but I read that very frequently. As with everyone, some posters you just respect, appreciate and admire above others, without knowing them, their history or their level of involvement on this wonderful forum.
Fugu was smart, savvy, witty and highly respected; she instantly became one of my favorite posters to read as her posts were filled with knowledge and common sense. She stayed above the petty stuff and made me an instant fan of hers. I've missed reading her insights and opinions for a while and now I understand why she was away from us.

Be at peace, dear Fugu. You are missed and admired by so many.

Coffey

☠️not a homer☠️
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Phase 4 HMV
Hi all. I am Phil, Barbara's husband, and I just joined the forum. I never was part of HF during the time Barbara was involved, but she told me a lot of stories about the great discussions, arguments and friendships she had there. I told one of her friends on the forum earlier today, that she would probably ban me right away anyway, since she was much more diplomatic than I am about certain hockey topics. :) I can't overstate how much I appreciate all of the statements I am reading about her intellect and good humour in her interactions with the community here. We are planning a celebration of life for her in Bellingham at 3 p.m. on October 8th. I know many of you are too far away to join, but if you are in WA or BC, and want to join us, that would be great. PM me, or email me at [email protected] and I will send details. Thanks to all of you for your kind words about my wonderful wife.
I'm sorry for your loss.
My condolences.

TP

Global Moderator
Dec 2, 2008
Hi all. I am Phil, Barbara's husband, and I just joined the forum. I never was part of HF during the time Barbara was involved, but she told me a lot of stories about the great discussions, arguments and friendships she had there. I told one of her friends on the forum earlier today, that she would probably ban me right away anyway, since she was much more diplomatic than I am about certain hockey topics. :) I can't overstate how much I appreciate all of the statements I am reading about her intellect and good humour in her interactions with the community here. We are planning a celebration of life for her in Bellingham at 3 p.m. on October 8th. I know many of you are too far away to join, but if you are in WA or BC, and want to join us, that would be great. PM me, or email me at [email protected] and I will send details. Thanks to all of you for your kind words about my wonderful wife.

So sorry for your loss. Thoughts and prayers.

Habs10Habs

Retired
Sponsor
Aug 22, 2006

Hi Phil, I'm personally glad that you signed up. So that you and your family could get a small glimpse of what Barbara meant too all of us. Haha she might have banned you. But she was also a softy, so it wouldn't have been long until she allowed you to come back. Again thank you for taking the time during this very tough period to come and talk to us. I know I can speak for everyone by saying it's greatly appreciated.

Afterburner

FREE UKRAINE
Sponsor
Jun 24, 2016
Dimension C-137

My condolences to you and your family during this very difficult time. Your wife was an amazing person and her memory will be treasured here.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002

Barbara was the Godmother of these boards, not just in discussion, but in helping running this place with such a large community, and also to us moderators when in need. Deepest sympathies to you and your family.

Marky9er

Jan 30, 2008
I've been visiting HF for a decade, I can't think of a name that would be more familiar. Not that I really knew her personally, but I remember a dedicated presence in the GDTs and other discussions.

RIP

Chairman Maouth

Retired Staff
Apr 29, 2009
Comox Valley
I've been unable to put my emotions into words until now. This event has been a little overwhelming.

I envisioned this post being much longer. I felt I needed to pay honest tribute to a true friend. But this may be what it all boils down to for me after reading everyone's comments in here and elsewhere, and about how Barb affected the people around her.

Everyone that knew Barbara, even only in passing, felt they had a true friend in her. I really cannot think of a better legacy to leave behind in the hearts of the people whose lives she touched.

Last edited:

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
I didn't know Fugu/Barbara. In total, I think I've had 2-3 interactions with her, all in a mod context. However, in one of those interactions, she had a sentence that relayed such profound insight that it illuminated my responsibilities as a moderator going forward. She clarified the position as never before. That was the impact of a single exchange with her.

I look forward to searching her past posts. Condolences to her family.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Thank you for taking the time to sign up and post here Phil. Your wife was like the team mom for HF's thousands of members, always caring but firm when need be but fair. Whenever someone had a problem she seemed to be able to sense it and would reach out to them with genuine kindness and concern. She touched so many lives in a positive way here and if you ever need someone to talk to feel free to reach out to me and her other friends as she would've done the same for us if the roles were reversed. God bless, Bryan

cyris

On a Soma Holiday
Dec 6, 2008
3rd Planet From Sun.
I like so many others here am so sorry for your loss.
As you must know your wife was an amazing person. I hope somehow this thread brings you and your family some kind of comfort. She was able to touch the lives of so many people, the vast majority of whom never got the privilege of meeting her.

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto

Very sorry to hear Phil. I lost a close family member this year to a disease as well and I know it is horrible. The suffering and preparation for the day is horrible as well. My best advice to you and your family is to focus only on the good times and try to remember her for the person she was when she was healthy ! Stay active and keep spirits as high as possible in her memory. I know right now it may not seem like it but with time you will find happiness and peace again ! The first year is the hardest and my first year is almost coming to a conclusion but I can say it does get better with time.

Reactions: Habs10Habs

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad