Saying goodbye to Fugu - Update: Obituary in OP

ThirdManIn

Aug 9, 2009
I also remember a time I posted a very inappropriate joke about Fugu in the Lounge. I received an infraction for my troubles by another mod and I wrote her (as ballsy as I was) to get it reversed. I did not :laugh:

Then she's the one who wrote me about becoming mod like 4-5 years later and I assumed she forgot. A couple months later when I became global she said something along the lines of "I've officially forgiven you for that joke you made about me ;)".

That's one thing about her that I'll always envy because I don't think it'll ever come natural to me. She was definitely a very forgiving person, particularly if you are able to learn a lesson.

swimmer77

More PIM's than Points
Jun 22, 2010
in water
So sorry to hear. Very little interaction with Fugu but impressionable in a very classy way nonetheless. Thoughts and prayers.

May we someday beat this monster called cancer. And when it happens Fugu and countless others will have led the charge to beat it.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I was in China working for the NHL when the news broke.

I last spoke with her in late August and she told me what the plan was but she was feeling wishy washy and I sensed things were bad.

Killion first approached me to become a Mod in BoH and Fugu was fine with that after seeing my posts. In the beginning, my heart would sink if I got a PM because it usually meant I had screwed up. But she did it in a way that made me a better Mod and over the years she gave me more responsibilities.

We got to talk about other subjects and one night she asked me what was the first concert I went to and I told her The Beatles. She was jealous :)

Yesterday we renamed her beloved Business of Hockey Forum in her honor.

Last edited:

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
Very sad to hear. I've been on here for over 10 years and she was one of the long time posters you knew by name and avatar, especially being a fellow Red Wing fans. I definitely noticed her love for the Business board whenever I'd venture in there to read anything, so that's an awesome gesture and much deserved. I just looked at my private conversations and one of them was one with Fugu, where she removed an infraction I received lol. I think I messaged her specifically like she was the mama bear after I disagreed with another mod, and of course I was left satisfied after dealing with her instead. RIP and Go Wings.

Reactions: Chairman Maouth

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
RIP, barely knew her. Did not know Fugu was even a she, now she's in a better place talking to a few of the other members that have died here.

dubey

$$$$$$$*NICE*$$$$$$$ 69 in 79 $$$$$$$*NICE*$$$$$$$
Oct 22, 2006
In your head
Heartbreaking. She was everything a moderator/administrator/community builder should be. There are a lot of people here that could learn from her.

Reactions: Redwingsfan

Timmy

Feb 2, 2005
Although I've been away from this wonderful community for some time now, every once in awhile somebody would bring up hockey in real life and I'd remember HFBoards and Barbara.

I originally joined this website to get more information about the lockout, and then I started posting about it, in favor of the owners. Fugu was staunchly pro-player and our battles became legends in our own minds.

The reason that Barbara and I became friends wasn't because our outlooks were different, but because we recognized in each other the ability to argue and debate without acrimony or insults, focusing on the issues rather than on each other.

I'll miss her, and I look forward to meeting her one day on the dark side of the moon.

MrFugu

Sep 21, 2018
Hi all. I am Phil, Barbara's husband, and I just joined the forum. I never was part of HF during the time Barbara was involved, but she told me a lot of stories about the great discussions, arguments and friendships she had there. I told one of her friends on the forum earlier today, that she would probably ban me right away anyway, since she was much more diplomatic than I am about certain hockey topics. :) I can't overstate how much I appreciate all of the statements I am reading about her intellect and good humour in her interactions with the community here. We are planning a celebration of life for her in Bellingham at 3 p.m. on October 8th. I know many of you are too far away to join, but if you are in WA or BC, and want to join us, that would be great. PM me, or email me at [email protected] and I will send details. Thanks to all of you for your kind words about my wonderful wife.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Hi all. I am Phil, Barbara's husband, and I just joined the forum. I never was part of HF during the time Barbara was involved, but she told me a lot of stories about the great discussions, arguments and friendships she had there. I told one of her friends on the forum earlier today, that she would probably ban me right away anyway, since she was much more diplomatic than I am about certain hockey topics. :) I can't overstate how much I appreciate all of the statements I am reading about her intellect and good humour in her interactions with the community here. We are planning a celebration of life for her in Bellingham at 3 p.m. on October 8th. I know many of you are too far away to join, but if you are in WA or BC, and want to join us, that would be great. PM me, or email me at [email protected] and I will send details. Thanks to all of you for your kind words about my wonderful wife.
I think I can speak for every member of this board and say our thoughts are with you and your family Phil.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
Wow, I've never been shaken by the death of a someone who was, to me, purely an online personality but I'm in shock. I knew Fugu from a Red Wings forum I started posting on when I was 13. I'm 31 now. Time truly does fly. I can be very cold and calculating when talking hockey on forums because its so detached from reality and consequence but this is a heavy reminder that every avatar here has a person behind it who, more often than not, just wants some community. She was such a kind-hearted, level-headed poster. May she rest in peace.

ThirdManIn

Aug 9, 2009
If anyone is decent at using Photoshop and wants to help us out with something to be done in memory of Fugu, please send me a PM. I would appreciate it.

Reactions: Beef Invictus

ThirdManIn

Aug 9, 2009

Hey Phil. I just wanted to thank you for posting this. Though I don't have words that I feel truly encapsulate how I and many others feel about her, I will say that we are all better people for having allowed Barb into our lives even just a little. That isn't a common thing that a person gets to leave behind.

I extend my deepest sympathies to you, your kids, the rest of her family, and all of her friends. You have hundreds of people around the world mourning with you.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad