Saying goodbye to Fugu - Update: Obituary in OP

RageQuit77

Jan 5, 2016
Finland, Kotka
R.I.P. Condolenses to Family.

Class act with banner and....

qDGktgC.png

Hopefully that banner stays as new logo of the HFBoards... maybe without that ribbon tho, - of course - only after a time of mourning ends... someday.

:(

Baby Punisher

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2012
Staten Island, NY
Man this sucks. No other words to describe how I feel about this terrible news. I knew FUGU from her various postings and interactions as Mod. did not know she was a woman, and I did not know she was sick. In the past 2-3 years we have lost two members, who happened to be women that made HF such a wonderful place. As always, leave it to a woman to make a place better and, Fugu made HF a better place. RIP

Reactions: rockinghorse

SabresSharks

Oct 2, 2007
It's Fugu's forum. We just post in it.

Nice tribute with the banner, mods. Hope that's permanent.

RIP.

Reactions: ottawa

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Hey all,
I just wanted to give you an update that as of a few moments ago, I donated the pooled funds to the BCRF fundraising page that Barbara's husband set up in her memory. Over the course of 22 days, 48 of us contributed a total of $2,388.00. I know not everyone could contribute and that's fine and understandable. I'd only ask that at some point in the future - when you have the ability to do so - please consider a contribution in memory of Barbara to BCRF or another worthy nonprofit that's helping fund important research in this field. Barbara was taken from us - all of us - too soon and this thread shows the impact she had on so many of us. Rest in peace, Barbara, you'll be missed dearly.

XO

Nov 4, 2009
Rarely use hfboards these days but had to login when I saw this thread. I'm really sad to read this. I didn't get to talk Fugu a lot but I was quite a rebel in my early days on HFBoards and remember her still being very helpful and considerate. Genuinely kind. Condolonces and best of luck, in any way you find.

Squiffy

Victims, rn't we all
Oct 21, 2006
Toronto
Well this isn’t what I wanted to see logging in.

I spent a lot of time on HF, before I had kids... a lot. Some of you will remember me, Leaf mod, Global, for a short period even an admin.

Fugu was the greatest. Always a wise, thoughtful response to any questions, she was a great mentor to me back in the day, fighting the good mod fight. Brilliant poster as well, modding aside.

She opened up to me years ago about her illness, back when I had a family member also battling cancer. She didn’t need to do that.. it was real helpful to talk. She was a friend.. as much as one can say that of a stranger on a message board.. but you can, you know, you make friends when you’re here a ton. I was hoping she had overcome it.. I don’t get here much these days but every time I do I would look up Fugu, and she was always still here, so I just hoped that she had won.

And this time she’s not here. And that is so sad. My deepest thoughts to Barbara’s family, if she was half as amazing in person as she was here to me, to this Board, than yours a a deep loss.

Rest In Peace.

Your HF Friend,
Squiffy

Edit: have now read the whole thread. It seems we have lost parabola and Octopi too. I can’t find the right threads so I am just going to give my condolences here as well, both great members, and a loss to the community. To their families and friends, I am sorry for your loss.

Nice to see some of the old crew here. Hate the reason. What’s up guys..?

Take care my departed friends, I’ll see you there one day. Save me a seat on the glass.

Last edited:

ThirdManIn

Aug 9, 2009
@Squiffy, if I'm not mistaken it seemed like she had turned a corner, but that changed because cancer is an evil son of a bitch.

Good to see you, though. I hope all else has been going well for you.

Squiffy

Victims, rn't we all
Oct 21, 2006
Toronto
Ya.. the last time I chatted with her.. which was longer ago then I thought, damn it.. she was just going back to treatment and in hindsight from the tone of it.. she was less optimistic. But time went by and I just figured.. that she was ok. And I wish I was still in the loop and could have told her thanks when there was a chance to.

Just thanks.

Sigh. I’ll miss her. Beer drinking, hockey loving grown ass man shedding man tears today staring at a phone, I was. Bloody hell. I always figured when the kids got older and I actually had free time again, I would gloriously pm her with “hey, you got room for another mod?”, and it’d be real cool.

—————

Thanks tmi, life is well enough. Everyone is healthy, kids love sports and camping (doing something right), my boy just started playing hockey and really getting into the Leafs. Compared to 4 years ago, going through my wife’s cancer, with two kids not yet old to tie shoelaces.. pretty damn good friend. This here is reminding of what I learned like a lightning strike four years ago.. appreciate what you have, it can change fast.

See everyone around eh?

*raises beer* To Fugu

Cheers,
Squiffy

Chairman Maouth

Retired Staff
Apr 29, 2009
Comox Valley
Well this isn’t what I wanted to see logging in.

I spent a lot of time on HF, before I had kids... a lot. Some of you will remember me, Leaf mod, Global, for a short period even an admin.

Fugu was the greatest. Always a wise, thoughtful response to any questions, she was a great mentor to me back in the day, fighting the good mod fight. Brilliant poster as well, modding aside.

She opened up to me years ago about her illness, back when I had a family member also battling cancer. She didn’t need to do that.. it was real helpful to talk. She was a friend.. as much as one can say that of a stranger on a message board.. but you can, you know, you make friends when you’re here a ton. I was hoping she had overcome it.. I don’t get here much these days but every time I do I would look up Fugu, and she was always still here, so I just hoped that she had won.

And this time she’s not here. And that is so sad. My deepest thoughts to Barbara’s family, if she was half as amazing in person as she was here to me, to this Board, than yours a a deep loss.

Rest In Peace.

Your HF Friend,
Squiffy

Edit: have now read the whole thread. It seems we have lost parabola and Octopi too. I can’t find the right threads so I am just going to give my condolences here as well, both great members, and a loss to the community. To their families and friends, I am sorry for your loss.

Nice to see some of the old crew here. Hate the reason. What’s up guys..?

Take care my departed friends, I’ll see you there one day. Save me a seat on the glass.
Here's one. https://hfboards.mandatory.com/thre...ks-fan-and-global-moderator-parabola.1947869/

It's ironic who the OP is.

We also lost Kevfist a few years ago.

MrFugu

Sep 21, 2018
Hey all, just a reminder but I'm aiming to deposit the collected money to Phil's BCRF site for Barbara on Saturday. If you still want to add your money to the HF pool, please do so before then! Thank you all who've contributed - I can't wait to add this and show how much HF loved our Borg Queen/Fish Mom/Pufferfish and how much we want to pay it forward.
Thanks you guys! With the contribution from Barbara's (Fugu's) HF friends, we are now over $6000 for breast cancer research! You guys are the best.

MrFugu

Sep 21, 2018
Hi. We held Barbara's celebration of life on Monday, and we set up a table on the side of the room with an HF Boards theme. The monitor had a slide show with quotations from her friends on HF, the really nice framed Red Wings themed photo that Fenway sent, a framed fugu tile that Barbara loved, and of course Red Wings jerseys of Lidstrom, Shanahan, Fedorov and Datsyuk. I'm attaching an image of the table. Thanks again to all of you for the kind words since Barbara's passing. --phil
IMG_0489.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad