Recalled/Assigned: Sandin is up

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
He's currently much better. Lets put the facts on the table. MVP = Sandin. Allstar = Sandin. Actually made the Leafs = Sandin.
Made the Leafs for a boost of confidence because Dubas could sense a failing prospect = Lilly.

Lilly has definitely improved this season. Facts are he was absolutely horrible in the preseason. Absolutely ****ing atrocious, people seem to forget he couldn't even make a pass in a preseason game. He's still a question mark, albeit an improved one. It's honestly not even close. That's why Sandin is on the team. I'm guessing you think your eye is better than Dubas/AHL/Keefe etc. who all made those decisions though.
Sandin is a LHD. Lilly is a RHD. Rielly and Muzz are LHD. That is it. Liljegren was worse in preseason, but on the Marlies he has been trusted to be their 1D the entire season and found huge success in that role.

Einzakin

Jan 20, 2011
Sandin is a LHD. Lilly is a RHD. Rielly and Muzz are LHD. That is it. Liljegren was worse in preseason, but on the Marlies he has been trusted to be their 1D the entire season and found huge success in that role.

I don't think it's fair to characterize Lilly as the #1 D. They both play alot of minutes and it looks to me like Rasmus plays in the more important situations.

Hard to quantify without stats though, anyone got minutes?

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Good for Sandin.

He's so much further ahead than Lilly and somehow people don't realize that. Lilly was absolutely horrible preseason and has the skill to make up for his poor decision making in the AHL.
Sandin has a lot of decision making issues, that doesn't hurt him in the AHL.
Lilly has outplayed him by a mile this season.
He's a year younger and he's much better than him. Lil cracked under pressure in the preseaon. He's got points in the A and is using his skill to his advantage. Doesn't have the mind nor the confidence for the NHL at the moment though.

There's a reason Sandin won MVP and made the AHL all-star team while Lil did not.
Sandin has been worse this season by a decent amount especially defensively. It's why Keefe trusted Lilly more in important situations.
Lilly deserved to make the AHL all star game over him, and anyone with no biases, knows that.
He's currently much better. Lets put the facts on the table. MVP = Sandin. Allstar = Sandin. Actually made the Leafs = Sandin.
Made the Leafs for a boost of confidence because Dubas could sense a failing prospect = Lilly.

Lilly has definitely improved this season. Facts are he was absolutely horrible in the preseason. Absolutely ****ing atrocious, people seem to forget he couldn't even make a pass in a preseason game. He's still a question mark, albeit an improved one. It's honestly not even close. That's why Sandin is on the team. I'm guessing you think your eye is better than Dubas/AHL/Keefe etc. who all made those decisions though.
Lets check the facts.
Lilly has outplayed Sandin since Feburary and has been the MVP of the Marlies.

I don't think it's fair to characterize Lilly as the #1 D. They both play alot of minutes and it looks to me like Rasmus plays in the more important situations.

Hard to quantify without stats though, anyone got minutes?
Jeffler has tracked them and said Lilly plays the toughest minutes and most minutes. He has also carried the Marlies which Sandin never has.
Lilly plays the most important minutes and has earned them over Sandin.

Maybe you should watch the games and not let predetermined beliefs affect you.
For such a horrible prospect, Lilly has been called up twice and almost played if Barrie wasn't healthy.
To put it nicely. Your just wrong on these posts

Last edited:

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Sandin has many decision making issues that need to be corrected. A fan of his is making up stupid stuff about Lilly even though it's clear he hasn't seen a game.
Sandin can handle soft usage on the bottom pair. More then that and your hurting the team. Lilly is probably more ready for a heavier work load.

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
If Chicago was willing to intentionally sit Kane on LTIR until the 2015 playoffs, I see no reason why Rielly sitting on LTIR shouldn't at least be on the table.

It might have just been pure dumb luck that Chicago made a couple trades with the LTIR cap space while saying that Kane was going to be out until mid/late May, was still injured for the last game of the regular season and then to everyone's amazement he was fine to play 23+ minutes on the first day of the playoffs.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
Congratulations to Rasmus Sandin for the calllup. With the top two LDs on the Leafs down for the count, no doubt he will get plenty of opportunities on the left side.

Liljegren needs an extended stretch of knowing what it feels like to dominate offensively in the AHL. Players who miss that opportunity lose creativity at the next level. Especially a guy like Liljegren whose play is hugely impacted by his confidence, moreso than other prospects i've seen.

He's only been at that level for a couple of months now. I have no problem letting him marinate.

I have no problem with this approach for Liljegren, but only for a few more weeks. Liljegren needs an extended look in the NHL before the trade deadline this year. Doing as well as he has all year is nice for his confidence, but at some point you’re going to want to challenge him again, to take him to the next level.

Ideally, Liljegren dominates the AHL for another month, then gets called up to the Leafs in the second week of February. That would then give management 10-15 days to evaluate him at the NHL level before the deadline, and make some room for him (eg. by dumping Ceci) if they like his play.

Paradoc

John Tavares is a Leaf!
Mar 13, 2013
Toronto
Liljegren should be up too based on merit. Both players deserve to be leafs
No space for him unless Ceci is gone. Can’t scratch a 4 million dollar defenceman otherwise, good luck trying to trade him at the deadline. I don’t think Ceci has been bad. It’s Barrie I’m worried about. He has been abysmal at defence as of late and doesn’t seem to play as well as advertised.

Paradoc

John Tavares is a Leaf!
Mar 13, 2013
Toronto
Congratulations to Rasmus Sandin for the calllup. With the top two LDs on the Leafs down for the count, no doubt he will get plenty of opportunities on the left side.

I have no problem with this approach for Liljegren, but only for a few more weeks. Liljegren needs an extended look in the NHL before the trade deadline this year. Doing as well as he has all year is nice for his confidence, but at some point you’re going to want to challenge him again, to take him to the next level.

Ideally, Liljegren dominates the AHL for another month, then gets called up to the Leafs in the second week of February. That would then give management 10-15 days to evaluate him at the NHL level before the deadline, and make some room for him (eg. by dumping Ceci) if they like his play.
I’m okay with this. He should be up around March. Ceci needs to be traded as soon as possible. He is not playing as well as per his contract and does not provide much value other than PK. It’s only because of him that Liljegren hasn’t gotten a good look and along with Holl emergence.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I suppose Sandin slides into the Dermott role and Dermott gets the Rielly role.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Sandin has many decision making issues that need to be corrected. A fan of his is making up stupid stuff about Lilly even though it's clear he hasn't seen a game.
Sandin can handle soft usage on the bottom pair. More then that and your hurting the team. Lilly is probably more ready for a heavier work load.

Same problems that made him the best defenseman at the WJHC’s. Jeez i wonder why he got called up now. He sounds terrible! I’ll go with the pro’s that promoted him evaluations thanks. Wow

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
It's clear Dubas or the AHL All-star committee hasn't watched a game either eh?

You do realize the AHL coaches and the GMs pick who plays in the ASG? It’s why Morgan Frost and his 14 points in 19 games is being sent to the all-star game this year. Not because he’s one of the twelve best forwards in the conference, but because he is his GM’s first round pick, and his GM thinks it would benefit him to go.

Nylander88

Aug 13, 2016
Ontario
I have to wonder if this is serious or if Dubas' is using Jim for a game or two and pushing a trade hard for a guy like Dillon out of San Jose. Or a package for DeAngelo and Georgiev. Have to wonder if he's got lines in the water. How many more games does Sandin have before he burns a year? 2 or 3?

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008

What was Sandin MVP of?

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Keefe needs to go full out (with the current young D) over the next 2-3 weeks and then decide if we should pull the plug on the season or not.

Dermott Barrie
Sandin Holl
Marincin Lili/Ceci

Rotate Ceci & Lili every couple of games.

Reactions: Chief keefe

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad