Recalled/Assigned: Sandin is up

tom leafers

Jan 25, 2017
Toronto
I broke my foot rolling my ankle over the summer it took 2 months for my foot to fully heal. I was out of my walking boot after a month and a half. And mine was a minor break. If Muzzin's is anything worse, maybe he'll be out for longer than 2 months.

Because you rolled your ankle, you most likely had some ligament damage as well.

If Muzzin has a simple/minor break and no ligament damage, the healing time is much faster

Reactions: filthyMitz

tmlfan98

No More Excuses #MarnerOut
Aug 13, 2012
Hockey's Mecca
Because you rolled your ankle, you most likely had some ligament damage as well.

If Muzzin has a simple/minor break and no ligament damage, the healing time is much faster
Yeah I think it was just minor strains though. I was basically in a walking boot right away.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
it's terrible asset management to burn that ELC if we flop this year. I think we all know this team won't fair well. Sandin isn't gonna change that unfortunately. IMHO

I don't know what to say other than to repeat my last post, so I guess we'll have to agree to disagree.

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
it's terrible asset management to burn that ELC if we flop this year. I think we all know this team won't fair well. Sandin isn't gonna change that unfortunately. IMHO
You burn one year of an ELC in exchange for being able to sign a cheaper second contract. If you want Sandin to be a long term part of the defense this is probably the right approach.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
This call up is a great time to reflect on things i believe.

First of all i will qualify that icing a more competitive team trumps burning off a year of a entry level contract every time.

Second, we need a good backup goalie.

Third, i believe Dubas waited to long to fire dirtbag and if not for that hot streak we are outnof the playoff picture before last nights game.

Four, its time to shake out the lineup of players we won’t be resigning next season and that points to Ceci and Barrie. Barrie’s defense is just to bad to be considered a productive player because he is scoring points. He has to go and so does Ceci, the sooner the better because waiting to long by Dubas this time is dangerously tricky.

Bracco can get us a backup goalie(Georgiev) straight up hockey trade. Seems like a perfect fit for both teams.

Sandin and Liljegren are ready and should be in the lineup even if we have to waive Ceci.

So... get our backup now!
Burn the entry level years on both Liljegren and Sandin
Trade Barrie sooner rather than later for a need. We have needs as anyone can see after these last three games. The need is players that can play defense.

Things need to be fixed expeditiously. Blind faith doesn’t win games. Quality players that are needs do.

This is a observation post and not a panic post. Would rather it done now. Easier said than done likely when the G.M calls around. I would prefer it done now is a better statement I’ll say.
It is panic time. There is no other way to say it. We are in worst shape of every NHL team with our CAP. We lost both our quality defensemen. We are very likely now playing season out in a lottery position and we have no 1st rounder next year unless we drop to bottom quickly in deepest draft in 10 years. The TV numbers will drop like a sieve when we play a few more games like Florida with even worse defense. It is not about a BACKUP goalie anymore. It is a failed season scenario.

18leafsfan18

Jul 28, 2012
Ontario
I don't know why people say this. There was a big cap crisis coming even before Dubas was given the GM job. He turned that around better than most people thought before the summer. I have no idea why all the work that preluded the RFA signings is now being ignored all the time.

Exactly what I was arguing, but apparently that poster didn't say any such thing.

Reactions: Nithoniniel

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
It is panic time. There is no other way to say it. We are in worst shape of every NHL team with our CAP. We lost both our quality defensemen. We are very likely now playing season out in a lottery position and we have no 1st rounder next year unless we drop to bottom quickly in deepest draft in 10 years. The TV numbers will drop like a sieve when we play a few more games like Florida with even worse defense. It is not about a BACKUP goalie anymore. It is a failed season scenario.

Doubt it is panic time. It is time for the management to get creative. That is what they are getting paid for. Team should set the planned date for the return of Rielly as the first game of the playoffs (just like Chicago did with Kane when they won one of their cups). That opens up 5M in cap space that they can use for a rental. Trade a forward (Bracco isn't going to cut it) for a backup like Georgiev. Trade something else for the 5M Rielly replacement rental. Go into the playoffs with a healthy Rielly and the unexpected rental.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
Doubt it is panic time. It is time for the management to get creative. That is what they are getting paid for. Team should set the planned date for the return of Rielly as the first game of the playoffs (just like Chicago did with Kane when they won one of their cups). That opens up 5M in cap space that they can use for a rental. Trade a forward (Bracco isn't going to cut it) for a backup like Georgiev. Trade something else for the 5M Rielly replacement rental. Go into the playoffs with a healthy Rielly and the unexpected rental.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
All this from a guy who has said publicly many times he does not believe in trading assets for UFA's ... I hope you are right but it would be a 180 degree turn to the left

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo

They can't use the cap loophole if they expect him back in March. But I don't see any reason why they need to expect him back in March. Plenty of players are not good to go until the first day of the playoffs and then magically they are.

They said minimum 8 weeks. But again, I don't see a reason why they can't decide in the next couple weeks - especially with the nagging injuries he is had all season - that 12 weeks is actually a better timeline for him to come back healthy, and trade for a rental like Vatanen.

Reactions: Kurtz

Einzakin

Jan 20, 2011
Good for Sandin.

He's so much further ahead than Lilly and somehow people don't realize that. Lilly was absolutely horrible preseason and has the skill to make up for his poor decision making in the AHL.

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
Good for Sandin.

He's so much further ahead than Lilly and somehow people don't realize that. Lilly was absolutely horrible preseason and has the skill to make up for his poor decision making in the AHL.
He isn't. I guess people are entitled to their opinion though even if their wrong. He's a good bit better than Liljegren was last season though.

Reactions: Jeypic

Einzakin

Jan 20, 2011
He isn't. I guess people are entitled to their opinion though even if their wrong. He's a good bit better than Liljegren was last season though.

He's a year younger and he's much better than him. Lil cracked under pressure in the preseaon. He's got points in the A and is using his skill to his advantage. Doesn't have the mind nor the confidence for the NHL at the moment though.

There's a reason Sandin won MVP and made the AHL all-star team while Lil did not.

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
He's a year younger and he's much better than him. Lil cracked under pressure in the preseaon. He's got points in the A and is using his skill to his advantage. Doesn't have the mind nor the confidence for the NHL at the moment though.

There's a reason Sandin won MVP and made the AHL all-star team while Lil did not.
He's not currently better than Liljegren. Liljegren has top notch production playing shutdown minutes and matchups with less powerplay opportunity. Lots of people thought him not being an all-star this season was a snub

tmlfan98

No More Excuses #MarnerOut
Aug 13, 2012
Hockey's Mecca
They can't use the cap loophole if they expect him back in March. But I don't see any reason why they need to expect him back in March. Plenty of players are not good to go until the first day of the playoffs and then magically they are.

They said minimum 8 weeks. But again, I don't see a reason why they can't decide in the next couple weeks - especially with the nagging injuries he is had all season - that 12 weeks is actually a better timeline for him to come back healthy, and trade for a rental like Vatanen.
If Chicago was willing to intentionally sit Kane on LTIR until the 2015 playoffs, I see no reason why Rielly sitting on LTIR shouldn't at least be on the table.

goleafsgo1990

Feb 7, 2012
Good for Sandin.

I do agree but all I have to say is he's likely better in his own zone than Barrie and we need defensive stability FAR MORE than points padding...If anything, having Barrie look like a dumpster fire here will make Lilly look that much better when he's up and should make for an easier transition. With Lilly it's all about confidence and he's starting to maintain it more and more.

So..I'd say, why not bring up both Lilly/Sandin and trade Barrie in a package for a #1 shutdown guy ffs..

Einzakin

Jan 20, 2011
He's not currently better than Liljegren. Liljegren has top notch production playing shutdown minutes and matchups with less powerplay opportunity. Lots of people thought him not being an all-star this season was a snub

He's currently much better. Lets put the facts on the table. MVP = Sandin. Allstar = Sandin. Actually made the Leafs = Sandin.
Made the Leafs for a boost of confidence because Dubas could sense a failing prospect = Lilly.

Lilly has definitely improved this season. Facts are he was absolutely horrible in the preseason. Absolutely f***ing atrocious, people seem to forget he couldn't even make a pass in a preseason game. He's still a question mark, albeit an improved one. It's honestly not even close. That's why Sandin is on the team. I'm guessing you think your eye is better than Dubas/AHL/Keefe etc. who all made those decisions though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad