Recalled/Assigned: Sandin is up

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
The Swedes seem to produce these type of D men of intelligent decision making from the back end. Lindstrom being the gold standard, Salming, Hedman were also in such a mode. Kronwall had a strong presence.

We could use such a player on the back end right about now, especially if they were solid for a decade. That's a smart way to build a playoff winner.

We're fortunate that our scouting staff and FO drafted him - was a very good pick at 29 - and fortunate for how he's developed considering how much trouble some teams have had in drafting and developing high quality players. Really excited to see more of him.

Reactions: Leafsfan74

slimbob8

Aug 11, 2016
This kid will be better than any defenseman we have since Borje.

His hockey sense/iq is way above our current top two D (Rielly and Barrie).

You realize Rielly just finished top 5 in Norris voting last year right? And if Sandin had the career Kaberle had I think most Leaf fans would be pretty thrilled. You might wanna back up the hype train just a little bit on a guy that's played exactly 7 NHL games so far.

Reactions: LFCTML

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
He should have played his last game for the Marlies IMO. Even if he has struggles, which is common for rookies, especially young D's, we should scratch him instead of sending him down.

Reactions: The Man with a Plan

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
He should have played his last game for the Marlies IMO. Even if he has struggles, which is common for rookies, especially young D's, we should scratch him instead of sending him down.

Uhh why would that be a good idea? He would benefit from more time with the Marlies, and it is definitely better than letting him sit.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Uhh why would that be a good idea? He would benefit from more time with the Marlies, and it is definitely better than letting him sit.

I don’t mean scratching him for eternity like the Islanders do with Noah Dobson. I mean one or two games if he hits a bad patch.

personally I don’t think he’s ever going to play bad enough to warrant being out of the lineup when we have guys like Ceci, Barrie and Marincin who play like shit on a lot of nights.

Reactions: The Man with a Plan

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
He's equal parts talent and brains. Reminds me of a prime Kaberle.

He's got more of an edge to his game than Kaberle did. The way he stood up Simmonds at the blueline last night was a thing of beauty.

Reactions: bax

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
I like him a lot, but don’t really see this comp. Sandin has a much better shot and a bit more grit, but Kaberle was a WAY better skater. Skating is Sandin’s #1 weakness IMO, while it was a real strength for Kaberle.

Nice game from the kid though, really high hockey IQ, very smart plays on both those tips.
Yes for sure on straight line speed Kaberle had it in spades. But lateral skating and edgework Sandin is unreal. Watching Sandin in practice is a thing of beauty. His 1 leg figure eight routine is incredible to watch so powerful. The guy can turn in a phone booth. It is why he never gets run over on the forecheck by much bigger men.
When you see Lily can skate straight line you will be impressed too.

Beyonder91

RASMUS
Oct 13, 2006
Toronto
You realize Rielly just finished top 5 in Norris voting last year right? And if Sandin had the career Kaberle had I think most Leaf fans would be pretty thrilled. You might wanna back up the hype train just a little bit on a guy that's played exactly 7 NHL games so far.

Only because he led all D in goals and was 3rd in D points which will never happen again. He had a 9 S% (nearly double his career average) which is off the charts for him. Also, as long as Barrie/Sandin are on the team he will no longer be on PP#1. His defensive play is average at the very best.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
One of the best parts about Sandin is that he fits this team like a glove.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Yes for sure on straight line speed Kaberle had it in spades. But lateral skating and edgework Sandin is unreal. Watching Sandin in practice is a thing of beauty. His 1 leg figure eight routine is incredible to watch so powerful. The guy can turn in a phone booth. It is why he never gets run over on the forecheck by much bigger men.
When you see Lily can skate straight line you will be impressed too.
Yeah I should have said speed, not skating. Sandin does indeed have very good edgework and agility, but he's quite slow speed-wise, especially for his size. I'd personally consider speed his main weakness, although it doesn't hold him back too much, and it's definitely something you can improve on (Tavares and Gauthier being perfect Leafs examples of guys who have gotten a lot faster since they were Sandin's age).

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
I actually think the opposite- in reference to Sandin's skating being a weakness, or his #1 weakness (so does Button if you hear his interviews). He thinks Sandin is an elite skater with high-end edge work, agility, and pivoting....which I agree with. Only if your talking about top speed/acceleration then maybe you'd be right.

IMO, his biggest weakness is his stature. We've seen him get bullied by guys driving the net hard multiple times already.

But Sandin is definitely a better prospect then any Leaf D I've seen in a while...his biggest asset might actually be his general hockey acumen and awareness. He processes the game at a high level, and at high speed, and those type of D-men do not grow on trees. I don't think we've really had one in a while....hopefully, he lives up to the hype.
Yeah I should have said speed, not skating. He's got great agility/edgework, but is slow. I otherwise mostly agree, especially about his hockey IQ.

I don't think his ability to win physical battles is TOO much of an issue, for a 19 year old. 19 year olds almost always get pushed around a decent amount, but they fill out more with age. Sandin is a touch short, but pretty stocky, he already holds his own decently in physical battles against men, and that's something that almost always improves over time. Rielly is a perfect example, when he was 19 he did similarly to Sandin in battles for the puck/positioning, but now he's a beast and wins them very consistently. I think Sandin's more of a Rielly type than a Gards type (who never really filled out or got good at physical battles), as he's got a naturally stocky build and doesn't shy away from contact.

Reactions: firstemperor

FreeBird

Dec 18, 2005
Yeah I should have said speed, not skating. He's got great agility/edgework, but is slow. I otherwise mostly agree, especially about his hockey IQ.

I don't think his ability to win physical battles is TOO much of an issue, for a 19 year old. 19 year olds almost always get pushed around a decent amount, but they fill out more with age. Sandin is a touch short, but pretty stocky, he already holds his own decently in physical battles against men, and that's something that almost always improves over time. Rielly is a perfect example, when he was 19 he did similarly to Sandin in battles for the puck/positioning, but now he's a beast and wins them very consistently. I think Sandin's more of a Rielly type than a Gards type (who never really filled out or got good at physical battles), as he's got a naturally stocky build and doesn't shy away from contact.

Sandin has a far better Hockey Intelligence than Rielly right now let alone at 19

Reactions: Eye Test

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Sandin has a far better Hockey Intelligence than Rielly right now let alone at 19
The Rielly/Gards comparisons were pretty clearly in reference to his build/physicality, nothing else. I think he’s got a strong, stocky build and a willingness to engage, like Rielly. As he fills out he should become solid in physical battles at the NHL level, despite being just 5’11”.

Jeffrey Pedler

Mar 21, 2018

Struggles are common for Veteran players too. At least with rookies, they are learning the pro game and hopefully never make the same mistake to often.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
I wonder if all the sports networks noticed the move we made for a top 4 LHD last night! They are more interested in creating crisis type scenarios of course.

Darn jokes and they don’t have a clue that we have a top 4 RHD move coming when the time is right also. Trade Barrie already and move Liljegren in is tricky for one reason only. That reason is that him and Sandin would come up for contract at the same time in two years.

Liljegren is better than Barrie when it comes to defensive play and stabilizing our back end. Liljegren would show that in spades one month in with his confidence and growing and using his skating game and great first pass.

Like a trade but not a trade and that doesn’t fit the networks agenda. We don’t need to trade for a defenseman! Period.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
I haven't been this excited about a Leafs D prospect in a long time. Kid looked like our own version of Cale Makar last night.

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
This kid will be better than any defenseman we have since Borje.

His hockey sense/iq is way above our current top two D (Rielly and Barrie).
Barrie was more usefull under Babcock
He is just wanting stats to back up his agents 8-9 million pipe dream
Maybe 9 million over 2 years extension

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
We're fortunate that our scouting staff and FO drafted him - was a very good pick at 29 - and fortunate for how he's developed considering how much trouble some teams have had in drafting and developing high quality players. Really excited to see more of him.
Thommie Bergman deserves boatloads of cash being delivered to his house every year. Hell, I wouldn't be mad if that guy made every single pick, guy has an insane eye for talent. I know Dubas obviously had the inside scoop since Sandin played for the Soo but I'm sure Bergman had some input from Sandin's time in Sweden as well.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Thommie Bergman deserves boatloads of cash being delivered to his house every year. Hell, I wouldn't be mad if that guy made every single pick, guy has an insane eye for talent. I know Dubas obviously had the inside scoop since Sandin played for the Soo but I'm sure Bergman had some input from Sandin's time in Sweden as well.

Forget the cash trucks, just give him 3 or 4 7th round picks every year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->