Recalled/Assigned: Sandin is up

ruaware41

Typical
Oct 22, 2019
They should ramp up his minutes and assignments steadily. He can probably handle it and it will help him transcend. Would suck to see him get Dermott'd who at one point looked real darn good but never progressed as we hoped because of being shoed in with bottom pairing minutes. You need progressive overload. A very very large number of top quality defensemen in the league played huge minutes in their first season and learned by playing hockey and not gripping the stick too tight to afraid to make mistakes and not learning as much new things. Babcock was a terrible coach for Dermott.

kk87

Feb 12, 2015
Waterloo, ON
They should ramp up his minutes and assignments steadily. He can probably handle it and it will help him transcend. Would suck to see him get Dermott'd who at one point looked real darn good but never progressed as we hoped because of being shoed in with bottom pairing minutes. You need progressive overload. A very very large number of top quality defensemen in the league played huge minutes in their first season and learned by playing hockey and not gripping the stick too tight to afraid to make mistakes and not learning as much new things. Babcock was a terrible coach for Dermott.

I agree that Dermott should've gotten more minutes and bigger assignments earlier in his career, but he's still going to be an extremely effective top 4 dman for us for a long time.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
He should have been up for more games before already. The D is this teams weak spot, everyone knows it. Let's see what he can do and assist in his development.

Fortunately for him, injuries have predicated that he gets a chance. After having a strong World Jrs, some more games under his belt in the NHL with a chance to stick should be in the offering. Let him decide when he should be up and ready, not some predetermined notion.

If he fails, send him back down until he is ready. Unless he is given a fair shot, Leafs won't know

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
5v5 points/60 among NHL D (minimum 75 minutes):

1) Sandin 2.14
2) Carlson 2.07
3) DeAngelo 1.93
39) Rielly 1.19
40) Holl 1.18
43) Barrie 1.15

Reactions: SwissLeaf

mapleleaf979

Jan 14, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Sandin clearly has more upside than Dermott. All based around his hockey sense which shows itself with how he hides his next move so well. It has nothing to do with his 2 points tonight but im 100% sure he was shooting for tips. Sandin is so deceptive passing the puck, carrying the puck that the defense is frozen/guessing what his decision will be, this is the main reason he opens the ice up and makes plays. He is an extremely hard player to read and can manipulate the D out of position just by looking to an area, gesturing pass , then not passing to that area at all. If Muzzin is re-signed, Reilly is going to be traded or let walk. No chance Sandin is a 3rd pairing guy. Sandin has 1-2-3 upside. He isn't gun shy running the point, his decisions are excellent.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
Sandin clearly has more upside than Dermott. All based around his hockey sense which shows itself with how he hides his next move so well. It has nothing to do with his 2 points tonight but im 100% sure he was shooting for tips. Sandin is so deceptive passing the puck, carrying the puck that the defense is frozen/guessing what his decision will be, this is the main reason he opens the ice up and makes plays. He is an extremely hard player to read and can manipulate the D out of position just by looking to an area, gesturing pass , then not passing to that area at all. If Muzzin is re-signed, Reilly is going to be traded or let walk. No chance Sandin is a 3rd pairing guy. Sandin has 1-2-3 upside. He isn't gun shy running the point, his decisions are excellent.

Hell, he has more upside than Rielly. You can't teach poise and he has it in spades.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
He's equal parts talent and brains. Reminds me of a prime Kaberle.
I like him a lot, but don’t really see this comp. Sandin has a much better shot and a bit more grit, but Kaberle was a WAY better skater. Skating is Sandin’s #1 weakness IMO, while it was a real strength for Kaberle.

Nice game from the kid though, really high hockey IQ, very smart plays on both those tips.

Reactions: stickty111

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011

man, had to look up how Wilde and Veleno were doing given all the talk about them in that thread. Sandin produced more in the AHL, a year younger, as a “small” defensemen, than Veleno did as a forward.

I know development is not linear but come on. Sandin turned out to be the right choice.

Moonman

Jul 3, 2015
I like him a lot, but don’t really see this comp. Sandin has a much better shot and a bit more grit, but Kaberle was a WAY better skater. Skating is Sandin’s #1 weakness IMO, while it was a real strength for Kaberle.

Nice game from the kid though, really high hockey IQ, very smart plays on both those tips.
I was referring to how smart kaberle was with the puck.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017

Agreed. I'm not sure I see Kaberle either. Sandin sometimes shows his physical side as he has had a couple big hits on the Marlies, and Kaberle was never really physical.
Sandin has Kaberle's composure with the puck though. There is a lot of upside if developed properly.

firstemperor

May 25, 2011

I actually think the opposite- in reference to Sandin's skating being a weakness, or his #1 weakness (so does Button if you hear his interviews). He thinks Sandin is an elite skater with high-end edge work, agility, and pivoting....which I agree with. Only if your talking about top speed/acceleration then maybe you'd be right.

IMO, his biggest weakness is his stature. We've seen him get bullied by guys driving the net hard multiple times already.

But Sandin is definitely a better prospect then any Leaf D I've seen in a while...his biggest asset might actually be his general hockey acumen and awareness. He processes the game at a high level, and at high speed, and those type of D-men do not grow on trees. I don't think we've really had one in a while....hopefully, he lives up to the hype.

GQS

Aug 2, 2005
I've been waiting a long time for a 'home run' d-man pick by the Leafs. Last time would've been Kaberle, but Sandin is looking like he could be it.

Well its a good start so far, but lets wait a while and see him play more games before we crown him best Swede defenseman since Salming. o_O

Also lets hope Liljegren turns out great for the Leafs too so it can potentially be back to back home run defensemen picks! :D

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
He's equal parts talent and brains. Reminds me of a prime Kaberle.

The Swedes seem to produce these type of D men of intelligent decision making from the back end. Lindstrom being the gold standard, Salming, Hedman were also in such a mode. Kronwall had a strong presence.

We could use such a player on the back end right about now, especially if they were solid for a decade. That's a smart way to build a playoff winner.

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
Looked great. What an opportunity for him right now and so far he's making the best of it. Hasn't whined about his Marlies assignments either. Excited about him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad