Recalled/Assigned: Sandin is up

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
Thommie Bergman deserves boatloads of cash being delivered to his house every year. Hell, I wouldn't be mad if that guy made every single pick, guy has an insane eye for talent. I know Dubas obviously had the inside scoop since Sandin played for the Soo but I'm sure Bergman had some input from Sandin's time in Sweden as well.
I would love if this team loaded up on 6-7th rounders every season and told thommie those are yours go do your thing. Obviously I wouldn’t exclude him from providing key info and having considerable influence on other rounds, but I would just leave him to those each year

Reactions: Menzinger

Wendelstache

May 5, 2010
You realize Rielly just finished top 5 in Norris voting last year right? And if Sandin had the career Kaberle had I think most Leaf fans would be pretty thrilled. You might wanna back up the hype train just a little bit on a guy that's played exactly 7 NHL games so far.

Phaneuf also finished top 5 one year...
I love Rielly as much as the next guy but this year has proven he's did not progress much since earlier part of his career.
He's effective when paired with a stable stay at home defenseman like Hainsey, but was exposed left and right all year this year.

I hope its just an injury thing that is making him look very mediocre this year, we all have higher expectation for Mo...

Bluebear

Nov 30, 2018
I don’t mean scratching him for eternity like the Islanders do with Noah Dobson. I mean one or two games if he hits a bad patch.

personally I don’t think he’s ever going to play bad enough to warrant being out of the lineup when we have guys like Ceci, Barrie and Marincin who play like **** on a lot of nights.

Young people with talent and potential in anything always improve very quickly when surrounded by people that are better/ more experienced. Practicing with the elite players like the leafs have will elevate Sandin's game faster at this point in his development than playing games with the Malies. I don't see why they would need to scratch him though unless he is gets banged up given the way he looked last night.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
It's weird to say, but the Leafs feel defensively calmer with Sandin in there the past two games. Maybe there's more buy in from everybody to play a little tigher, but it's interesting how much less chaotic things are without Rielly charging around like a bull.

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
I’m looking forward to games even more now because of Sandin.

Look at some of his highlights and passes ... can’t watch to see these passes landing the sticks of our big boys up front, the kid is dynamite

dimi78

Aug 9, 2008
It's weird to say, but the Leafs feel defensively calmer with Sandin in there the past two games. Maybe there's more buy in from everybody to play a little tigher, but it's interesting how much less chaotic things are without Rielly charging around like a bull.
It will get that much better if they do what needs to be done and trade Barrie to play Lilly. Rielly has been poor this year but IMO it's more to do with playing injured. I don't buy that he was injured on that play. He was injured a long time ago continued to play injured and was hurting both himself and the team.

The same thing happen with Muzzin. The decision to play both while injured has severely hurt this team compounded with Barrie horrible play.

The D core should be when healthy

Rielly
Muzzin
Dermott
Holl
Sandin
Lilly

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
I’m looking forward to games even more now because of Sandin.

Look at some of his highlights and passes ... can’t watch to see these passes landing the sticks of our big boys up front, the kid is dynamite

Who is San-Den ? lol.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
He looks a lot like Kaberle back there, really patient for someone his age. You can also tell hes a rookie when he tries to rush a play and throws a pizza down the middle. It hasn't happened much though.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
He looks a lot like Kaberle back there, really patient for someone his age. You can also tell hes a rookie when he tries to rush a play and throws a pizza down the middle. It hasn't happened much though.

I notice he has a tendency to try and be very physical and throw a reverse hit in situations you don't expect it to happen. I wonder if he's trying establish himself as a guy not to take runs at, a la prison rules. I like it.

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
I notice he has a tendency to try and be very physical and throw a reverse hit in situations you don't expect it to happen. I wonder if he's trying establish himself as a guy not to take runs at, a la prison rules. I like it.

he was physical in wjc too, this year and last year. i think its part of his playing style.

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
With Sandin emrging, I really question the role of Barrie on this team.

I would rather ice Sandin PP1 and Rielly PP2.
3v3, Barrie shouldn't really be on the ice. Rielly, Sandin, Muzzin all ahead of him. How often do you need more than 3 defencemen?
Barrie doesn't PK.
5v5, I don't think I prefer him over anyone currently in the lineup.

It's a real shame out best 3 D all play the same side.

As for Rasmus, very very impressed with him lately. His high end talent and IQ are obvious. He made 4-5 really impressive defensive plays last game, and a few the night before despite the gaffe on SH goal.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
I would love if this team loaded up on 6-7th rounders every season and told thommie those are yours go do your thing. Obviously I wouldn’t exclude him from providing key info and having considerable influence on other rounds, but I would just leave him to those each year

Thing is though, there's only so many players he can really like in later rounds, and I'm sure the Leafs are already conceding to him on anything he feels strongly about, considering his tenure and track record. "Giving" him more picks doesn't do anything if the players aren't there.

Reactions: Merrrlin

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad