Speculation: Sam or Kane?

enthusiast

cybersabre his prophet
Oct 20, 2009
The only reason to sign kane over reinhart is if the latter returns something exceptional in trade.

Captain Holt

Fun? I was never fun! You take that back
Jul 10, 2013
Buffalo
Not sure about McDonaugh being a #2, I have him more in the #1b tier of dmen (#1 on most teams besides those with Doughty, Weber, Hedman, etc.). Also wouldnt trade for Keith unless all he cost was someone as valuable as Girgensons or less. He'll be 34 and is making almost $6 mil until he's 39. Just doesn't make sense moving forward. Also a lot of playoff miles on his body, just look at how bad Seabrook looks now. Chicago would obviously value him around a top 6 F value and I'm hoping the new GM doesn't think that's a good idea.

Sam doesn't move unless we're getting someone under 22-23 who's already a top 4 guy with #1-1b/2a projection. Hanifin/Ekblad/Risto/Rielly/Lindholm all fit that bill, with Hanifin and maybe Lindholm being the only realistic scenarios. Bear in mind trading Reinhart absolutely ruins this team's forward core until Asplund is ready to fill his spot, which isn't happening until 2-3 more seasons.

Stop with the trade Reinhart talk for anything less than Hanifin. Doesn't work with the window Eich/Sam/Risto/possibly Nylander core gives us for any shot at a cup.

Yes the D is bad. Tim f'd us on that. What about moving Zemgus for a guy who could play #4 minutes (a higher end #5 D) and sort of heals the wound until Guhle and hopefully Heskainen/Makar can take that. I wonder what MDZ/Dumolin would cost? Rags only traded a 2nd + 3rd for B. Smith and he's really helped that backend a lot. De Haan? Lovejoy? I'd be interested in Schlemko, had a couple mistakes against EDM but he looked pretty skilled for a bottom pairing D.

Not saying any of the above are/aren't top 4 guys, they all would just fit great into our 2nd pair as a band-aid at a much cheaper price than someone like Tanev. At least until we get some talent back there.

I would love to see Bogo rebound. He is a great skater and had great hands for someone who's 6'4. And he's young and has few miles. Don't like him at $5.2 AAV tho.

Also anyone know what Chychrun would cost? Yotes need older scorers like Kane and have so much cap space. If Chychrun is worth more than Kane maybe throw in Moulson/Ennis to that? Losing Kane is a big ES scoring hole though, that would have to be addressed in the upcoming draft most likely.

"Throw in Moulson or Ennis"?? Like they're sweeteners? They hold negative value. We're going to have to pay to get rid of them.

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012
Also anyone know what Chychrun would cost? Yotes need older scorers like Kane and have so much cap space. If Chychrun is worth more than Kane maybe throw in Moulson/Ennis to that? Losing Kane is a big ES scoring hole though, that would have to be addressed in the upcoming draft most likely.

Arizona is an adv. stats team, they wouldnt put much value in Kane, throwing in Moulson and Ennis would decrease the value from Buffalo

Kane, 2017 1st, Moulson, Bogo to Vegas for whichever D they take from Minny and some forward depth signed at reasonable prices. clears 15mil in cap space, they take Ennis and thats about 20 mil in free cap space
Reinhart for Hanafin
sign Antipin
ufa #6
re-up Jack
sign Radulov

Last edited:

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
Most of those players went straight to the NHL. Compare years 2+3 post draft and get back to me.

Eric Staal put up 100 points in his 2nd NHL season, but this chart is penalizing him for the lockout. Terrible.

Yep, and not to mention Reinhart was an older player (born in Nov. 95 when the vast majority of his draft class was born in 1996). And why are we comparing Reinhart and Kanes first two seasons? First off Kane made the the NHL and scored 14 goals as a true rookie. 19 goals in year 2. And 30 goals in year 3. By the way, Evander Kane scored 30 goals as a 20 year old. He had 63 career goals before the age of 21 so Jame I have no idea you are trying to compare Reinhart and Kanes first two seasons as it is clearly backfiring and blowing up in your face.

Evander Kane, before the age of 21 put up 14,19 and 30. 63 career goals at the age of 20. Sam Reinhart turned 21 a month into this past season. Sam Reinhart had a grand total of 25 goals before turning 21 on November 6th of 2016.That's not even half the amount Kane had compiled at the age of 20 years and 8 months. Actually that's 38 goals less which is nearly 2 full seasons of goals for Reinhart.

I don't know what the point of comparing Kane and Reinharts first few seasons but it's not debatable. At the same age Kane was clearly a better player and Kane is currently a better goal scorer as of today. All this has done has vindicated Stokes. No one expected Kane to plateau at age 20 yet it happened. Stokes is absolutely right, we must see and hope that Reinhart keeps progressing because it is NOT a guarantee.

My dream scenario is win a top 2 pick, draft Hischier/Patrick. Trade Reinhart for Hanifin. Trade Kane+ for Brodin. Sign Alzner AND Oshie.

The core starting in 18-19/19-20...

Nylander-Eichel-Oshie
Hischier/Patrick-RoR-Okposo

Hanifin-Risto
Alzner-Brodin
Guhle-McCabe

Yeah, that's an elite blue line and a damn good top 6. The only problem I see with that top 6 and that blue line is that the group up front are all RH shots save for RoR (unless Hischier is chosen over Patrick) and that Risto is the only RHD on the blue line. To quote Marlo Stanfield....sounds like one of those good problems. If we are boasting the top 6 and blue line listed above that makes us absolutely cup contenders. To get back on track if we end up winning a top 2 lotto pick I am moving both Reinhart and Kane for D. Drafting Reinharts replacement with that top 2 pick and upgrading on Kane in free agency with Oshie.

At the end of the day, Kane is a better goal scorer then Reinhart as of today. Not debatable. Kane was a better player/goal scorer at the age Reinhart is now, not really debatable. Sam Reinhart currently possesses much higher trade value then Evander Kane, not debatable. Let's get creative and move both.

SabreDr

Sep 4, 2006
Buffalo
The NHL is a speed and size league; slow, soft unassuming forwards will get them nowhere if they ever make the playoffs: See the Habs. Kane

YYCSabresFan

Craig Conroy 4 GM
Jun 23, 2014
Calgary
The NHL is a speed and size league; slow, soft unassuming forwards will get them nowhere if they ever make the playoffs: See the Habs. Kane

Ridiculous. Reinhart is neither slow nor soft.

If anything, he's been forced to play less to his strengths under Bylsma's system which has forced him to be more of a "heavy" player along the boards and in tough areas.

The Habs' lost in the playoffs because they don't have an Eichel. Elite centers are so hard to come by you have to suck and draft high to acquire that player.

BananaSquad

Jun 13, 2013
Niagara

If anything, he's been forced to play less to his strengths under Bylsma's system which has forced him to be more of a "heavy" player along the boards and in tough areas.

The Habs' lost in the playoffs because they don't have an Eichel. Elite centers are so hard to come by you have to suck and draft high to acquire that player.

They drafted Galchenyuk 3rd overall

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic

Or an O'Reilly, or a Reinhart. They have Philip Danault instead.

McPhatty00

Apr 23, 2014
State College, PA
I've seen way too many posters compare Reinhart to Hodgson. WTF? Sam isn't fast, but he's by no means slow. He makes plays that Jack doesn't make. He sees the game better than every player on the ice. He's been misused for 2 seasons. Everyone on the team looked slow this season.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
People need to really understand the question.

This isn't asking which one would you trade, which one is the better goal scorer, it's not who is the better player at their age, it's not who has the better value, it's:

If you can only sign one of UFA Evander or RFA Sam, who would you pick?

It's pretty damn easy to answer this, and I have a pretty good feeling that the vast majority of HOCKEY fans would pick Reinhart over Kane. Only Buffalo fans would fall in love with a "3rd line player" that is a UFA to be because of his one "quality" over a young player (RFA to be) who has shown to be a more effective contributor in more areas of the ice.

dasaybz

da saybz
Aug 2, 2005

This isn't asking which one would you trade, which one is the better goal scorer, it's not who is the better player at their age, it's not who has the better value, it's:

It's pretty damn easy to answer this, and I have a pretty good feeling that the vast majority of HOCKEY fans would pick Reinhart over Kane. Only Buffalo fans would fall in love with a "3rd line player" that is a UFA to be because of his one "quality" over a young player (RFA to be) who has shown to be a more effective contributor in more areas of the ice.

Have you actually looked at the poll results?

SabreBlood

Mar 31, 2012
He's also not fast or heavy.

40 goal scorerers are hard to come by as well, and if Kane was tied to Eichel next season, there's little doubt Kane would flirt with the 40 mark.

But I agree Reinhart needs to play center and would look great on line 3.

SabreBlood

Mar 31, 2012

Evander Kane has one quality? Huh?

Samsonite23

All Hail King Tuch
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2011
Downtown Buffalo

40 goal scorerers are hard to come by as well, and if Kane was tied to Eichel next season, there's little doubt Kane would flirt with the 40 mark.

There's "little doubt" that he will score 10 more goals than the most he's ever scored in a season.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida

What? Are you serious?

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

When did Evander Kane become Brian Savage? :shakehead

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012

This is worse than the "Ennis is guaranteed to be a 65point scorer with Eichel".

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012

There's plenty of doubt.
1. He's never worked well with Eichel before.
2. He's not a sniper and never will be -- he's a volume shooter. Putting him with a better playmaker doesn't make him any more effective than he already is.
3. Tied in with that, Kane doesn't have the hockey IQ to make the most of playing with an elite playmaker.
4. He never stays healthy for a full season, and there's no way he scores that many while missing games.
5. He's not effective on the PP, and you need to be to score that many goals.

MrMaster

Apr 20, 2016
It's just, i think he's invaluable come playoff time.
He would be our Kassian. He's born for the playoffs.
That's the only reason i would keep him, and that is a big one imo.

Montag DP

Sabres fan in...
Apr 4, 2007
...Maryland

So people can only answer "Reinhart" or "Kane?" We're not allowed to discuss different aspects of the two players that are relevant to the discussion if they do not directly answer the question on their own? That's not how discussions work.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad