Speculation: Sam or Kane?

jcbeze

Dec 27, 2005
I see, so you are factoring in the quality of the potential return from Sam in the poll.

You are reading the poll as:
Trade Reinhart for X and extend Kane
vs
Trade Kane for Y and extend Rhino.

where your primary calculation seems to be X > Y.

I see your logic, and it makes some sense, but I don't think that was the poll question exactly.

Even if it were, I'd prefer to retain Sam.

I assumed that was the jist of the poll, "can only pay one" is the question asked. If we can only pay one, well, where is the other one? Traded away, or lost to UFA.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
I assumed that was the jist of the poll, "can only pay one" is the question asked. If we can only pay one, well, where is the other one? Traded away, or lost to UFA.

The OP's question was to choose who to sign if you could only sign one.

jcbeze

Dec 27, 2005
The OP's question was to choose who to sign if you could only sign one.

Exactly. I would only want to re-sign Kane and trade Samson, over Losing Kane to UFA or trading him away, to sign Samson. I only signed one....right?

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
Exactly. I would only want to re-sign Kane and trade Samson, over Losing Kane to UFA or trading him away, to sign Samson. I only signed one....right?
Why may I ask, do you want Kane over Reinhart? The "trade" option is not part of the poll.

wunderpanda

Apr 9, 2012
sure it is, since we can only sign one. The other guy doesn't just vanish

Precisely. I had mentioned it on page 1 of the thread.

I should have added that as a qualifier. Sign one, trade one for D.

It really is the Sabres with Kane vs the Sabres with Sam, not just Sam vs Kane in a vacuum. ROR & Okposo don't require either of them on their line. Jack carries the puck and shoots often; doesn't require Evander to carry or shoot & Sam isn't stretching defenses creating space.

Linemates matter less to Kane's game & production, Sam has higher trade value and may not become 3C in the first place.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
It really is the Sabres with Kane vs the Sabres with Sam, not just Sam vs Kane in a vacuum. ROR & Okposo don't require either of them on their line. Jack carries the puck and shoots often; doesn't require Evander to carry or shoot & Sam isn't stretching defenses creating space.

Linemates matter less to Kane's game & production, Sam has higher trade value and may not become 3C in the first place.

Pretty weak rationale to trade Reinhart over Kane. And it's the best argument for trading Reinhart over Kane in this thread.

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic

That only makes the decision easier.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
I see, so you are factoring in the quality of the potential return from Sam in the poll.

You are reading the poll as:
Trade Reinhart for X and extend Kane
vs
Trade Kane for Y and extend Rhino.

where your primary calculation seems to be X > Y.

I see your logic, and it makes some sense, but I don't think that was the poll question exactly.

Even if it were, I'd prefer to retain Sam.

It is sound logic & I have been an advocate of trading Sam if the right return came up - however unlikely that is.

But even in this scenario I would be extremely wary of signing Kane long term & would look to move him as well as Sam.

This team should not be short of talent on the wings moving forward. It's an easy position to fill. Giving term to someone with so many question marks in Kane Could be something to regret.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY

Linemates may matter less to Kane's production. But the flip side is Kane can and does hurt his linemates production. He also has a tendency to hurt his lines defensive play.

How he is able to produce without needed linemates is what leads to the other issues. I wouldn't list that as a big positive.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad