Speculation: Sam or Kane?

SabreBlood

Mar 31, 2012
Evander Kane scores through volume. He is not as good a finisher as his goal totals would lead someone to assume.
Clearly, he's a better finisher than most here give him credit for.
He's better than Ennis, but he doesn't have better hands than Ennis. His puck skills are not good. His positive attributes are speed, strength, tenacity, body play and shot velocity, with everything else being pretty poor.
I agree. Although aside from Jack, he's also got the best shot release on the team. Kane is no slouch on the penalty kill either. I don't know what else the guy needs to do to prove his worth. I'd sign him to an extension yesterday.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Let's give Reinhart year 4 after his draft as a center with a new coach and have him play 3rd line center for his huge number of apologist. I was convinced he was the wrong player to draft and that he would be a maybe 20 goal scorer, maybe 40 assists 2nd line center, meh skater, not a finisher and his intelligence would not overwhelm the many other smart players in the NHL. I'm waiting to to see the intelligence and consistent play, production. Didn't see it while playing wingman to PPG center in Jack. Let's see if he can produce on his own at center.

I find it odd you're dismissing him because he didn't become a 20g 40a 60pt center while on the wing.

At the end of the day Sam was projected to be a two way center with high end projections of someone like Bergeron. Its hardly his fault he has not been allowed to develop as a center. Disco use of sam the last two years has been one of many stupid things he did.

SabreBlood

Mar 31, 2012
That's not how it works
I'm being tongue-in-cheek. But the sport isn't that complicated, Jamylsma. :sarcasm:

it's the same stat you used to make your point, but from the previous season... when they spent more time together
:facepalm:
I misunderstood. I thought you sliced 60% of his time with Eichel off of the stat line.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Clearly, he's a better finisher than most here give him credit for. I agree. Although aside from Jack, he's also got the best shot release on the team. Kane is no slouch on the penalty kill either. I don't know what else the guy needs to do to prove his worth. I'd sign him to an extension yesterday.

His negative impact on the team defensively is very, very significant. That alone should give serious pause to extending him. We aren't talking about standard third line winger money. He is probably going to get a lot for a long time on his next contract. Then you have to consider how his play last season (team play, production, etc) was better than his norm. Do you really want to assume he doesn't regress? Then you have to consider the multiple issues he has had off the ice, including extremely unsavory issues with women. Throw in the fact that he's nearly a lock to miss at least 10 games. Why not trade him for defensive help? I don't get it.

SabreBlood

Mar 31, 2012
Do you? Because you keep referring to his finish....
He lead the team in goal scoring while missing 12 games. What exactly is finish? Shot percentage? By your logic, Marcus Foligno has the most finish on the entire team.. Gimmie a break. And Eichel has less "finish" than William Carrier.

Last edited:

SabreBlood

Mar 31, 2012
His negative impact on the team defensively is very, very significant. That alone should give serious pause to extending him. We aren't talking about standard third line winger money. He is probably going to get a lot for a long time on his next contract. Then you have to consider how his play last season (team play, production, etc) was better than his norm. Do you really want to assume he doesn't regress. Then you have to consider the multiple issues he has had off the ice, including extremely unsavory issues with women. Throw in the fact that he's nearly a lock to miss at least 10 games. Why not trade him for defensive help? I don't get it.
I'd trade anyone not named Jack Eichel for defense. But I need to see the deal. If Kane brings back the best defender (I don't think he does.. 1 year until free agency plus off ice issues) then sure.

The blue line needs major improvement. I need Kane to score as many goals as possible. Everyone's defensive stat lines will improve when the talent of the blue line is upgraded. Who is on the otherside of the ice matters as well. I want 9-15-71.

Off the ice is my biggest fear with him. But he felt real fear this past off season and I'd be willing to take the risk. Also, my reasoning isn't based in playing him in a 3rd line role. It puts him in a top line role.

Last edited:

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005
People so quick to give up on Sam. So silly. It's like the Buffalo mentality means that the Sabres must always lose. Everyone clamored about the penguins and having depth down the middle, and now that we're close to seeing it, we better stab ourselves in the heart so we can continue to feel victimized

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
People so quick to give up on Sam. So silly. It's like the Buffalo mentality means that the Sabres must always lose. Everyone clamored about the penguins and having depth down the middle, and now that we're close to seeing it, we better stab ourselves in the heart so we can continue to feel victimized
Its the what are you doing for me now in regards to points mentality around here.

SabreDr

Sep 4, 2006
Buffalo
Its the what are you doing for me now in regards to points mentality around here.

It's the we tanked a season for you and most nights we wonder where you are. Not to mention he regressed in year two and needs Jack to carry his jock. When Jack was out revisionist the team's offense was putrid and Reinhart didn't elevate his game. Anyway, fans will be fans and not give up on who they supported from the beginning because it makes them look bad, not so much the player.

SabreDr

Sep 4, 2006
Buffalo

I'm not giving up on Reinhart, I never believed in him in the first place :laugh:

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
I still love him!

:heart:

CbJcgL4WIAEUgqI.jpg

Hashbrown77

Apr 25, 2017
I gotta go Rhino. Every1 thinks Kane would re-sign here. If he gets an offer anywhere near what we would give him from a higher profile team/city, I think he would bail

YYCSabresFan

Craig Conroy 4 GM
Jun 23, 2014
Calgary
I'd trade anyone not named Jack Eichel for defense. But I need to see the deal. If Kane brings back the best defender (I don't think he does.. 1 year until free agency plus off ice issues) then sure.

The blue line needs major improvement. I need Kane to score as many goals as possible. Everyone's defensive stat lines will improve when the talent of the blue line is upgraded. Who is on the otherside of the ice matters as well. I want 9-15-71.

Off the ice is my biggest fear with him. But he felt real fear this past off season and I'd be willing to take the risk. Also, my reasoning isn't based in playing him in a 3rd line role. It puts him in a top line role.

Agreed. Eichel and Ristolainen are our only untouchables.

Kane should ideally be the driver on the 3rd line. If his time in Winnipeg was any indication, he works best when playing with a C who can defer to him and doesn't try to be the one controlling zone entries.

wunderpanda

Apr 9, 2012
So, for Sam to become this centre everyone is projecting is it Jack or is it ROR getting moved to wing? If Sam was miscast in a grinding, shutdown system he won't be effective as a grinding, shutdown 3C and there won't be a Kane or Jack to drive play for him.

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
So, for Sam to become this centre everyone is projecting is it Jack or is it ROR getting moved to wing? If Sam was miscast in a grinding, shutdown system he won't be effective as a grinding, shutdown 3C and there won't be a Kane or Jack to drive play for him.

I'm confused by this logic as well. No team has 3 70 point centers give or take obviously. Its not a thing.

Sam plays better at center. So does Eichel and ROR...if someone isgetting moved to wing its sam.

To be fair I think he has done a fine job in his first 2 seasons. I dont have complaints.

jvirk

Oct 31, 2013
I'm confused by this logic as well. No team has 3 70 point centers give or take obviously. Its not a thing.

Sam plays better at center. So does Eichel and ROR...if someone isgetting moved to wing its sam.

To be fair I think he has done a fine job in his first 2 seasons. I dont have complaints.

ROR' best season of his career came at wing

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad