Speculation: Sam or Kane?

wunderpanda

Apr 9, 2012
Worst case scenario, hypothetical, hard to guess what kind of cap space the Sabres will have next summer.

But! If you can only sign one of UFA Evander or RFA Sam, who would you pick?

Yes, this hypothetical is after Jack is imaginary extended 8x8.

Last edited:

SabresFanNorthPortFL

Aug 9, 2007
North Port, FL
1. Kane was already on the market.
2. Pegula just said "character."
3. Best trade assset.
4. Biggest.....does he want a small market, or glamour big chance ty, I think he wants big.

Kane is gone

Old Navy Goat

Apr 24, 2003
Pattaya Thailand aka adult Disneyland
Not knowing who the coach / GM are its impossible to say as you can't predict what system will be run. Sam is more important in a 3 center spine, while Kane is better in a heavy grinding game. Personally, I move Kane along with Nylander/17 1st to address defense. I then take the savings and look in the Williams / Stempniak trash barrel for UFA wingers

sincerity0

Dec 23, 2016
As much as a certain Buffalo beat writer wants to trade Samson in a second, I think the major of the board would rather keep sam.

If someone put a gun to my head and said pick Reinhart or Kane, Reinhart is the easy answer.

Cost control / team control
Center
Two way player

Kane's game is highly respectable, high motor, dirty goals. Keeping Sam in this argument is pretty cut and dry IMO. M

krt88

Jun 19, 2002
Fayetteville, NC
cybionscape.com
If you want to fix the defense with a young mobile defensemen than Samson is more likely to be traded. Now the that whole I train differently thing is out, I feel other teams may continue to view Kane as a locker room problem.

However, the signing question is no doubt. Sam based on production has to sign a bridge deal.

wunderpanda

Apr 9, 2012
If you want to fix the defense with a young mobile defensemen than Samson is more likely to be traded. Now the that whole I train differently thing is out, I feel other teams may continue to view Kane as a locker room problem.

However, the signing question is no doubt. Sam based on production has to sign a bridge deal.

I should have added that as a qualifier. Sign one, trade one for D.

McPhatty00

Apr 23, 2014
State College, PA
While Kane had a nice little season, it raised his value along with keeping a low profile. Sam, if used properly, can be really good. Honestly, if the new GM can get someone like Alzner, get Antipin and possibly retain Kulikov, this D isn't bad anymore. They don't even have to rush Guhle.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
I should have added that as a qualifier. Sign one, trade one for D.

That's easy then. I trade Reinhart for Hanifin and keep Kane. Better yet, trade Reinhart for Hanifin, Kane+ for Fowler and sign Oshie and Alzner :naughty:

But seriously though Reinhart is bringing back a much better D then Kane would. Reinhart holds far more value though Kane is the better goal scorer.

Havok89

Oct 26, 2010
I'd much rather have Sam ,but I don't think Kane can be traded for the defenseman we need going forward.

I'd really like to see Sam Reinhart under a new coach in a new system before he's traded.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I would prefer to keep Reinhart.

But, Samson is also the more likely of the two to return a top 4 D that would help.

Kane with one year left on his deal doesn't have boatloads of trade value, I fear.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
This is an easy choice. On the one hand, you've got a high-IQ young C who drives puck possession, already outproduces Kane, plays well with everyone, and has plenty of upside left to tap into. On the other hand, you've got a low-IQ winger who skates fast, forechecks, hits, only works with a limited number of linemates, and takes a crapload of shots.

I like Kane, but that's an easy one to call.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Happy to see the poll this heavily in favor of Reinhart. Shows the board learned the lesson of post 7/1/07. Centers are more important than wingers. You re-sign Briere and Drury at all costs, and thank Vanek for his time as you drive him to his flight to Edmonton.

Reinhart is young and still developing. He was playing out of position in a system that played him like a power winger. He adapted and produced. You don't trade a player like Reinhart. Yes, he is part of the core of the team along with ROR, Eichel, and Ristolainen.

Montag DP

Sabres fan in...
Apr 4, 2007
...Maryland
I would prefer to keep Reinhart.

But, Samson is also the more likely of the two to return a top 4 D that would help.

Kane with one year left on his deal doesn't have boatloads of trade value, I fear.
It will be interesting what the new GM does. If you're going to trade Kane, this summer is the time to do it. On the other hand, Sam would have a better chance to fetch a stud defenseman. I'd prefer to keep Reinhart, but I'm not opposed to trading him if the return is right. Truth be told, we have a lot of capable centers (Reinhart, Larsson, Girgensons) beyond the obvious two. I can definitely see the new GM tapping into that in order to improve the D.

fiend540

Sep 9, 2011
I misread it as who would you rather trade and voted for Kane, I'd much rather keep sam around

Vito_81

Jul 23, 2006
Toronto
This is honestly even a discussion?

I love Evander Kane. But how this is even a question I don't understand.

Reinhart for days.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
I easily said Sam.

But with talk about moving Sam, I think it's way too soon to trade Sam if you're going to trade him. Trading a 21 year old Sam NOW, I think is shortsighted just to fix the D. IMO. We don't have a long term issue with defense, we have a short term issue with defense, which can be solved in multiple ways besides using Reinhart. Using a young player like Reinhart in a trade is creating a hole for down the road at the center position as I don't believe we have a guy in our pipeline ready to step in a year or two down the road that is close to his ability.

I think we have defense in our pipeline that can step in a year or two down the road (obviously Guhle; but also Borgen, Fitzgerald for example with some idea that D. Stephens has that chance a well).

I understand why people want to trade Reinhart, but I guess I disagree with the idea that the first option we SHOULD be looking at is trading your young assets. There are other ways in which you can build a playoff contending defense besides using your 2nd or 3rd best asset in the entire organization.

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
Happy to see the poll this heavily in favor of Reinhart. Shows the board learned the lesson of post 7/1/07. Centers are more important than wingers. You re-sign Briere and Drury at all costs, and thank Vanek for his time as you drive him to his flight to Edmonton.

Every time I think about those four 1sts we turned down for Vanek...<shudder>

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad