Speculation: Sam or Kane?

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
I'm confused by this logic as well. No team has 3 70 point centers give or take obviously. Its not a thing.

Sam plays better at center. So does Eichel and ROR...if someone isgetting moved to wing its sam.

To be fair I think he has done a fine job in his first 2 seasons. I dont have complaints.
Sam isn't a 70 point center, the points hes putting up in his first two seasons makes him a very competent star 3rd line center and if he puts up more than that, huge bonus.

wunderpanda

Apr 9, 2012
Sam isn't a 70 point center, the points hes putting up in his first two seasons makes him a very competent star 3rd line center and if he puts up more than that, huge bonus.

They would, except Sam was playing wing with Kane, Jack, Okposo & ROR. 3C won't have that kind of help, especially with Kane imaginary gone and Jack having priority.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
So, for Sam to become this centre everyone is projecting is it Jack or is it ROR getting moved to wing? If Sam was miscast in a grinding, shutdown system he won't be effective as a grinding, shutdown 3C and there won't be a Kane or Jack to drive play for him.

They would, except Sam was playing wing with Kane, Jack, Okposo & ROR. 3C won't have that kind of help, especially with Kane imaginary gone and Jack having priority.

If Sam is 3C and Kane is gone, Ennis & Zemgus could be in the top 6. How'd Sam do with Moulson & Foligno?

F3 doesn't change as a position in a system from line-to-line. A 3C isn't a automatically a grinding, shutdown center anywhere but NHL 17 and the pre-lockout NHL. There are plenty of examples of 3Cs all across the league who don't play a shutdown role.

If you're playing F3 (center), you're typically the guy that's making the offensive zone entry decision. That's ideal for Reinhart and it doesn't take another player with him to drive the play. Once in the zone, the wingers are deep and the F3 is playing high or as the third man in. You don't need much to make that work. Getzlaf is playing in this exact situation with Ritchie and Eaves.

Foligno - Reinhart - Fasching was a solid line during the small amount of time it was together late in the season for the reasons above.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
F3 doesn't change as a position in a system from line-to-line. A 3C isn't a automatically a grinding, shutdown center anywhere but NHL 17 and the pre-lockout NHL. There are plenty of examples of 3Cs all across the league who don't play a shutdown role.

If you're playing F3 (center), you're typically the guy that's making the offensive zone entry decision. That's ideal for Reinhart and it doesn't take another player with him to drive the play. Once in the zone, the wingers are deep and the F3 is playing high or as the third man in. You don't need much to make that work. Getzlaf is playing in this exact situation with Ritchie and Eaves.

Foligno - Reinhart - Fasching was a solid line during the small amount of time it was together late in the season for the reasons above.

They played like 3 or 4 shifts together, scored a goal, and never played together again... bylsma was simply anti good lines.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
Reinhart played the best hockey of his young career in his last 12 starts at center.

Put him with speed on a 3rd line and watch him dominate against easier matchups.

SabreDr

Sep 4, 2006
Buffalo
Going on year 4 and people are projecting and hoping what Sam can be based on no evidence except some great play for the World Juniors in 2013. Let's hope these hopes and dreams have something more than hopes and dreams.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
Going on year 4 and people are projecting and hoping what Sam can be based on no evidence except some great play for the World Juniors in 2013. Let's hope these hopes and dreams have something more than hopes and dreams.
so 2 years NHL experience is 4 years? Realistically he's going on his 3rd NHL season and to say he has potential to be a 55-60 points center is completely reasonable. To say he has room to grow? is another completely acceptable and reasonable/rational statement but in your world apparently players reach their peak at 21.

Last edited:

Samsonite23

All Hail King Tuch
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2011
Downtown Buffalo

He sure looked like he could handle playing center, you know, when he played center. To go along with the fact that he played center his entire life and all of his strengths translate more effectively playing center. Maybe we're basing our opinions on that rather than dreams?

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel

Or the games he played at center last season, where he played well, even being praised for playing well against Crosby. Unless you think playing well against the best player in the world is pixie dust and bedtime wishes.

so 2 years NHL experience is 4 years? Realistically he's going on his 3rd NHL season and to say he has potential to be a 55-60 points center is completely reasonable. To say he has room to grow? is another completely acceptable and reasonable/rash statement but in your world apparently players reach their peak at 21.

The anti-Reinhart narrative on this board cannot be contained by time.

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
I guess 2 years of the team being a tirefire when he's off the ice and pretty good when he's on is nothing.

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
They played like 3 or 4 shifts together, scored a goal, and never played together again... bylsma was simply anti good lines.

Wouldn't it be funny if it was really Samson behind the scenes trying to get Bkysma fired and Eichel was just doing the dirty Work?

Eichel's a pimp. He never could've out-fought Disco Dan. But I didn't know until this day that it was Reinhart all along.

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
I cannot conceive of a world in which Evander Kane would be more valuable than Sam Reinhart. What dimension are you people from? And, can you take the next Stargate back there? Thanks.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
I cannot conceive of a world in which Evander Kane would be more valuable than Sam Reinhart. What dimension are you people from? And, can you take the next Stargate back there? Thanks.

Only 12 clicked Kane, half I suspect are by accident.

jcbeze

Dec 27, 2005
Only 12 clicked Kane, half I suspect are by accident.

I clicked Kane, because I'd MUCH rather deal Samson for a stud D and retain Kane, than deal Kane for a D. As long as Kane is willing to re-sign, that is. The poll says that we can only pay one, after all....

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
I clicked Kane, because I'd MUCH rather deal Samson for a stud D and retain Kane, than deal Kane for a D. As long as Kane is willing to re-sign, that is. The poll says that we can only pay one, after all....

I see, so you are factoring in the quality of the potential return from Sam in the poll.

You are reading the poll as:
Trade Reinhart for X and extend Kane
vs
Trade Kane for Y and extend Rhino.

where your primary calculation seems to be X > Y.

I see your logic, and it makes some sense, but I don't think that was the poll question exactly.

Even if it were, I'd prefer to retain Sam.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad