Sam Bennett - most needed change of scenery ever or hot streak?

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
50% being miscast as a winger, 50% being miscast as a bottom six energy role player after Hartley was fired. Bennett actually had some success playing left wing in his rookie season where he managed 18 goals and 18 assists next to Backlund in the top six. But after that, he got a single season at center but on the third line alongside the retired corpse of Troy Brouwer and when he couldn't make him look like an NHL'er, the Flames coaching staff basically gave up on him. Over the next few years he basically just bounced between bottom six winger to getting the odd shift as a right winger on the top line.

Some players, a lot of players actually, can't seamlessly switch between positions so wouldn't be surprised if Vilardi was just a better center than winger. But the Kings have a lot of centers so something will have to give eventually.

This is really well put.

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
Not all Flames fans are salty about Bennett doing well, I’m really happy for him and the Panthers. It’s good to see them doing well even after Q leaving. Hope they make some noise come playoffs.
It seems like Bennett was an exemplary citizen for the Flames which makes the vitriol confusing. It didn’t work out there but he was trying and it’s more likely than not that the right circumstances didn’t emerge. Maybe different coaches could have used him differently but it seems that he needed a change, some more natural Vitamin D, and a Huberdeau on his wing

kerrabria

May 3, 2018
cheezedtink.png

kerrabria

May 3, 2018
20g 36p in 38gp as a Panther.

That's a 43 goal 77 point pace, which is pretty decent for a 4th line winger.
Remember that Craig Button said the Panthers shouldn't get too excited because Bennett just hasn't panned out, but he's a fine grinder for your bottom 6. Nobody, not even Pierre, is as routinely and as egregiously wrong as Button.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
As positive the change was for Bennet, I think it's Duclair has done even better. He looked like a player that couldn't figure it out, yet now his speed and puck control is off the charts. Really happy for Duclair and the Panthers. What a fun team to watch.

I think both are examples of why Torts style hockey should be dead in this league.

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
As positive the change was for Bennet, I think it's Duclair has done even better. He looked like a player that couldn't figure it out, yet now his speed and puck control is off the charts. Really happy for Duclair and the Panthers. What a fun team to watch.

It's remarkable.

He actually struggled, and I mean struggled to hit 10 goals last year.

He has been amazing this season

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
I'm really happy for Benny. I really like the guy and wished it would have worked out here, but it was never going to happen so there's no point in dwelling what could have been.

I hope this is just "regular season" Bennett and he kicks it up another level during the playoffs like he did with us.

Yeah, it's kinda like to a lesser extent Matheson for us. It just wasn't gonna work out here, he needed a refresh.

Reactions: Unlimited Chequing

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad