Sam Bennett - most needed change of scenery ever or hot streak?

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
Bennett is probably the best case of actual talented player, misused beyond belief. he seriously should've never been on Calgarys bottom 6 when he produces like this in Florida. Dude seriously could be called a "late bloomer", but he certainly flashed that talent at times in the playoffs for Calgary. Issue is that the flames went through such a coaching carousel that it frankly was ridiculous. Now that he's in Florida, and has a role that works for him, the points are there

Now if only he can make round 2 again

Reactions: Waterbuf

thaman8765678

Jun 11, 2011
Bennett is probably the best case of actual talented player, misused beyond belief. he seriously should've never been on Calgarys bottom 6 when he produces like this in Florida. Dude seriously could be called a "late bloomer", but he certainly flashed that talent at times in the playoffs for Calgary. Issue is that the flames went through such a coaching carousel that it frankly was ridiculous. Now that he's in Florida, and has a role that works for him, the points are there

He was the whopping boy in Calgary. He also had incredible bad luck, I have never seen so many posts and disallowed goals by one player before.

Reactions: Waterbuf

Quinton Byfield

Jul 25, 2021
I'm convinced those blob charts mean absolutely nothing but no one wants to admit they don't understand them.
It's just a heat chart of where shots are coming from. Pretty self explanatory. If your chances are coming from closer to the net, it generally means it's a more dangerous scoring opportunity.

I don't think I've ever seen a chart that red, large and isolated in the net front like that before. Insane.

abbbaron

May 6, 2015
Look on the bright side: Flames fans should be grateful Treliving got as much as he did for him, because at the time of the deal his value was a 3rd at best.

On that note, how is the kid they got for him doing?
I was willing to offer up Fabbri for him. Around here, that offer dropped like a blob of wet concrete.

quat

Faking Life
Apr 4, 2003
Duncan

Yep. 18 year old Sam Bennet was a thing. Some organizations, or perhaps even most, just don't develop players very well. It's amazing how many players find their games again under well managed and well coached teams.

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
I still miss that 19 yo 25 yr old. He reminded in Calgary me a lot of how Gary Roberts played the game. Unfortunately his career seemed so thrown off in the first couple of years with Calgary through mismanagement and a dash of his own undoing at times. Then inconsistency set in never seeming to shake being cast in 3rd and 4th line roles and minutes. Typical Calgary way to do things it felt like. Too too bad. Hopefully we get something for Monahan with the numbers he has but more of the same mishandling of a trade asset IMO.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
I still miss that 19 yo 25 yr old. He reminded in Calgary me a lot of how Gary Roberts played the game. Unfortunately his career seemed so thrown off in the first couple of years with Calgary through mismanagement and a dash of his own undoing at times. Then inconsistency set in never seeming to shake being cast in 3rd and 4th line roles and minutes. Typical Calgary way to do things it felt like. Too too bad. Hopefully we get something for Monahan with the numbers he has but more of the same mishandling of a trade asset IMO.

It's really such a shame that the Flames gave up on him as a C after he was asked to center two of the worst 5v5 wingers in the league in Brouwer and Versteeg, as a 20 year old.

Given the chance to center Gaudreau, he could have been a 30-35 goal 60-75 point play driving center who could hit, fight, and defend.

Lindholm - Bennett - Backlund would have been really solid center depth.

Reactions: Tofveve

pb1300

#CatsAreComing
Sponsor
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ
Career high 20 goals with almost half a season left. 26 goals and 16 assists in 43 total games with the Panthers. Love the passion he brings, love it. But I will say that the one thing that we were warned about, continues to happen, and that’s his bonehead penalties from time to time. I’ll take it though. Love him on this team!

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Flames fans think Monahan is the worst thing to happen to the game of hockey. They think because Monahan played ahead of him, Bennett got shafted ignoring the fact Bennett is not a good hockey player.

Bennett will be out of the league in 3 years. His shot sucks, his utilization of teammates/playmaying is HORRENDOUS, his hockey IQ is about 14, he takes the dumbest penalties, he uses Jr moves constantly which leads to turnovers. His only NHL quality is his skating which is actually quite good, if nothing else he'll stay in the league because of that.

How there are still Flames fans defending this guy is mind boggling, watch 400 games from this guy and they still think he has "talent" and will break out.

Always Monahan's fault that Sam Bennett sucks, always coaching reasons why Bennett sucks, always linemates why Bennett sucks, maybe Bennett just sucks. But that would mean using logic.

This post aged like milk left out in a heatwave.

(Removed username)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad