Sam Bennett - most needed change of scenery ever or hot streak?

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Change of scenery ,things just were not happening for him in Calgary for whatever reason...

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
It's absolutely their fault for playing him as a bottom 6 winger lol.
I get wanting to have a kid play in lessor roles ,as they find their way...But they should have played him in PP situations and in offensive roles as well right??

He was a pretty high pick and had some obvious skill after all

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
I get wanting to have a kid play in lessor roles ,as they find their way...But they should have played him in PP situations and in offensive roles as well right??

He was a pretty high pick and had some obvious skill after all
The problem with Bennett in Calgary was that he never really consistently displayed that "obvious skill". He had a couple of great playoffs, but then would demonstrate extremely low hockey IQ during most of the season. He would consistently just shovel the pucks into the corner or shoot directly into the goalies chest.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
The problem with Bennett in Calgary was that he never really consistently displayed that "obvious skill". He had a couple of great playoffs, but then would demonstrate extremely low hockey IQ during most of the season. He would consistently just shovel the pucks into the corner or shoot directly into the goalies chest.
And how often would he try to make that one extra move with the puck like he was Gaudreau or someone... and cough it up? Too numerous to count.

Reactions: blankall
Apr 4, 2015
Minneapolis
I think playing for a non Canadian team has a lot to do with it. Especially in Florida, not nearly as much fans, and not nearly as much criticism from reporters. A lot less pressure because of that. Some guys just can’t handle that sort of thing in all sports: See Carson Wentz in Philly for an NFL example.

Reactions: Devonator

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
And how often would he try to make that one extra move with the puck like he was Gaudreau or someone... and cough it up? Too numerous to count.

He had very poor hands. From most of what I've seen of his Florida highlights, he gets points by either driving the net with Huberdeau carrying the puck or passing to Huberdeau who finishes the play. Good for him for having found chemistry with a star player, but I really don't see any of this supposedly high skill that Bennett has, even if he is getting more points.

Little Bobby Boo

Jul 30, 2014
I think playing for a non Canadian team has a lot to do with it. Especially in Florida, not nearly as much fans, and not nearly as much criticism from reporters. A lot less pressure because of that. Some guys just can’t handle that sort of thing in all sports: See Carson Wentz in Philly for an NFL example.
he instantly got PP1 time and to play with a top 3 LW. It has nothing to do with geography. everything to do with opportunity

Reactions: OvermanKingGainer

GeeoffBrown

Jul 6, 2007
13 points in 21 games. Nothing really amazing IMO. Will be interesting to see who has more points at the end of the season, Bennett or Sean Monahan

Cats2TheCup

Oct 27, 2011
Miami, Fl
Bennett came back from injury and hasn't been throwing body checks since his return. Appears the guy isn't playing healthy right now. He's still playing great even if it ain't showing up on the score sheet. He does have high skill. He's a very good player. Some of the stuff he does that amounts to great scoring chances doesn't make highlight reels. When he starts throwing checks again I'll consider him back to full health. He's def not a 35pt player.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
Barkov has been injured for 9 games so Bennett has had to be #1 center, he's not suited for that role. 2C is perfect for him, less checking and he can provide that energetic all-round game. For instance, Lundell had to be 2C and that also affected his game, he's clearly not ready for that role. Huberdeau and Ekblad have been carrying the team the last month.

Reactions: kerrabria

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
With regards to the OP's question.... change of scenery or hot streak?... I say both.
However, I think the hot streak has come to an end. I see Bennett as a 50 pt player.

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
In over 500+ even strength minutes with one of Gaudreau or Tkachuk as his linemates from 2018-2020 Bennett really didn't do much of anything. The team was outscored 19-22 during that time, and his analytics were fairly pedestrian (especially with Johhny). Now granted the majority of those minutes were with him on the wing, but he certainly didn't seize the opportunities he was given here when he had the chance to do so. Calgary bungled his development to be sure but a change of scenery was needed for both sides. The biggest miss came after his performance at center with Dube and Lucic during the playoffs only to start the next season back on the wing. At that point it was a lost cause. Ward doing Ward things. I think Bennett struggled to due to poor coaching more than anything under Gulutzen and Ward.

Bennett is a good if not inconsistent player. He can't play the game the way he needs to in order to be successful for a full 82 game schedule - it's just not possible. His playstyle takes it's toll on the body.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
He had very poor hands. From most of what I've seen of his Florida highlights, he gets points by either driving the net with Huberdeau carrying the puck or passing to Huberdeau who finishes the play. Good for him for having found chemistry with a star player, but I really don't see any of this supposedly high skill that Bennett has, even if he is getting more points.

He can carry it through the NZ but usually gives it off once in blueline.
He just scored another one, his 9th with a nice snipe, his shot is actually pretty legit.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
He can carry it through the NZ but usually gives it off once in blueline.
He just scored another one, his 9th with a nice snipe, his shot is actually pretty legit.

Bennett does lots of things great. He's got great hustle, hits, and can shoot. He just doesn't have the higher end skills that make a player truly great. I think it's great that he's found great chemistry with Huberdeau. He's always been a guy who gave 100% every night. I was sad to see him go, but also don't think Calgary gave up a star player for peanuts. Bennett would have never found success in Calgary. He's not a legit first line center and he's not as good of a second line center as Backlund.

Florida is the perfect situation for him. Huberdeau does a lot of the things a high end centre normally does, and Bennett can compliment those things with his hustle.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Bennett does lots of things great. He's got great hustle, hits, and can shoot. He just doesn't have the higher end skills that make a player truly great. I think it's great that he's found great chemistry with Huberdeau. He's always been a guy who gave 100% every night. I was sad to see him go, but also don't think Calgary gave up a star player for peanuts. Bennett would have never found success in Calgary. He's not a legit first line center and he's not as good of a second line center as Backlund.

Both of these statements are false.

Florida is the perfect situation for him. Huberdeau does a lot of the things a high end centre normally does, and Bennett can compliment those things with his hustle.

Sound like a certain top line winger on the flames... If only he had a chance to center him...

You're severely short selling Bennett's skill as a puck carrier, which is one of the most important skills for a center. There's a reason he's Florida's de facto puck carrier on their PP entries.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Both of these statements are false.

Sound like a certain top line winger on the flames... If only he had a chance to center him...

You're severely short selling Bennett's skill as a puck carrier, which is one of the most important skills for a center. There's a reason he's Florida's de facto puck carrier on their PP entries.
Bennett's ability to carry the puck is limited by his poor puck handling skills. He's very bad at getting around defensive players.

There's no way that Bennett was winning the #1 center position over either Lindholm or prime Monahan.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
Bennett's ability to carry the puck is limited by his poor puck handling skills. He's very bad at getting around defensive players.

There's no way that Bennett was winning the #1 center position over either Lindholm or prime Monahan.

Actually he's very good at getting around defensive players. He said he found his game again in Florida, he feels like he lost it in Calgary. Confidence is a funny thing. He's getting opportunities he never really got in Calgary for extended periods and he's flourishing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad