Salary Cap: Salary Cap Thread - Waiting for Goaldot

Status
Not open for further replies.

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
That's another thing Sullivan needs to improve.

Why can't Malkin see more of Guentzel and Rust when we can't generate anything? Why can't we try Kapanen and Zucker with Crosby? Our top 6 is way too static.

I think this is the number 2 issue of our team behind our passive defense.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
This is from another poster on another site re ZAR…I hope this is wrong…

“Do not be surprised if ZAR gets a reward on the higher end, like 2.x million AAV. According to the advanced stats models, Aston-Reese has been the best forward in Even Strength Defense (I do not know the formula for calculating this) for the past 2 seasons.

Now, the other forwards in the top 12 of the EV Defense value may not be known strictly for their defense, but, here are their salaries:
--Nichushkin, 2.5M
--Danault, was 3M, now 5.5M
--Marcus Foligno, 3.1M
--O'Reilly, 7.5M
--Coleman, was 1.8M now 4.9M
--Riley Nash, was 2.75M now 750k
--Schwartz, was 5.3M now 5.5M
--Eriksson Ek, was 1.48M, now 5.2M
--Sissons, 2.85M
--Johan Larsson, 1.4M

I think we can all agree that ZAR doesn't provide the offense that ROR or Jayden Schwartz does...but someone like Colton Scissons is very comparable. In a little more than half the amount of NHL games (360 to 160), ZAR has both a better points per game and goals per game career averages than Scissons.

I'd be a little surprised if ZAR cannot get 2.5M in arbitration. Hopefully the Penguins can sign him before that happens, to maybe around 1.75M. I believe last season ZAR signed hours before his arbitration hearing.”

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
So..... I think it was always super unlikely that we could fit in Fleury's caphit if he had not been bought out, and of course coming off a Vezina that was always unlikely. Only way that would happen was to get a third party to eat cap for assets, and then in most scenarios Fleury doesn't look quite as appealing.

Now then... next year he will be UFA, at the time when Geno and Letang are up. There's a "ride into the sunset together" moment for all three of them there, if they want it.

What we need this season is to get started and see where Jarry's head is at, and whether the goalie market develops during the year. Would be awesome of course if Tuuka signs a relatively cheap deal with the Pens for the season to stick it to Boston, but that's probably a pipe dream.

We'll be what we mould into. Could be good, could be good but not good enough... better that Hex keep the little powder he has relatively dry and see if some guys can push for more than they have been.

Reactions: Giskard

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
If we are paying ZAR a dime over $1.25 million, it was a huge mistake to qualify him.

If we used the cap savings from losing Tanev and McCann to sign the garbage we signed, Hextall is even dumber than I thought.

Reactions: Ginormousthumbs

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
Wasn't Simon "analytically" one of the best defensive players in the league one year?

Yeeeaaahhh....

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Sure, if bringing back familiar names moves the needle. Tampa should want to keep the majority of their players together. :laugh:

I just don't think keeping 2/3 of BART together does anything beyond keep the coach comfortable, but with us keeping ZAR and Blueger around, and bringing back guys like E-Rod and Simon, maybe that's the goal.

As pointed out, Tampa's two most recent UFA adds are two depth dmen, one of whom never played on a championship squad and the other of whom was a rental 6/7D. Erik Cernak they ain't. The valuation of cohesion and predictability goes way beyond high end talent.

Also, what keeping Blueger does is keeping the best C we could have got about 2.5m-ish. Ditto ERod for versatile scoring bottom sixer at 1m. Simon's a min wage warm body. The only guy where it mightn't just be a case of simple keeping the guy who works who's cheaper than the other options is ZAR, and lets see what he comes in at.

Reactions: Gurglesons

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
As pointed out, Tampa's two most recent UFA adds are two depth dmen, one of whom never played on a championship squad and the other of whom was a rental 6/7D. Erik Cernak they ain't. The valuation of cohesion and predictability goes way beyond high end talent.

Also, what keeping Blueger does is keeping the best C we could have got about 2.5m-ish. Ditto ERod for versatile scoring bottom sixer at 1m. Simon's a min wage warm body. The only guy where it mightn't just be a case of simple keeping the guy who works who's cheaper than the other options is ZAR, and lets see what he comes in at.

Woah woah Simon is atleast a minimum wage backup 1st liner.

Reactions: Pens x

Dangles78

Oct 14, 2012
Pittsburgh
Assume ZAR and ZoHo are re-signed - what does everyone want Sully to put on the ice if healthy?

Heinen-Crosby-Rust
Guentzel-Geno-Kapanen
McGinn-Blueger-Carter
ZAR-Zohorna-Rodrigues
(Lafferty)

Dumoulin-Letang
Petts-Marino
Matheson-Friedman
(Ruhwedel)

Jarry
DeSmith

LiffLaff

Crazy? Me?
Feb 22, 2010
Vardal
Assume ZAR and ZoHo are re-signed - what does everyone want Sully to put on the ice if healthy?

Heinen-Crosby-Rust
Guentzel-Geno-Kapanen
McGinn-Blueger-Carter
ZAR-Zohorna-Rodrigues
(Lafferty)

Dumoulin-Letang
Petts-Marino
Matheson-Friedman
(Ruhwedel)

Jarry
DeSmith
No Zucker?

Reactions: Dominance

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

Heinen-Crosby-Rust
Guentzel-Geno-Kapanen
McGinn-Blueger-Carter
ZAR-Zohorna-Rodrigues
(Lafferty)

Dumoulin-Letang
Petts-Marino
Matheson-Friedman
(Ruhwedel)

Jarry
DeSmith

When healthy I doubt our starting line up looks like our playoffs roster, but here is what I’ve been thinking..

Guentzel - Crosby - Rust
McGinn - Malkin - Kapanen
Zucker - Carter - Heinen
ZAR - Blueger - Rodrigues

And the D you listed.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
When healthy, I expect;

Jake-Sid-Rust
Zucker-Geno-Kap
McGinn-Carter-Heinen/E-Rod
ZAR-TB-Heinen/E-Rod

Not sure I really give a shit enough to argue if that's my preferred lineup or not. :laugh:

Dumo-Letang
Matheson-Marino
Petts-Friedman

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
If we are paying ZAR a dime over $1.25 million, it was a huge mistake to qualify him.

If we used the cap savings from losing Tanev and McCann to sign the garbage we signed, Hextall is even dumber than I thought.

Better start getting mad. You were warned

Goalie_Bob

1992 Vezina (2nd)
Dec 30, 2005
Pittsburgh
Now, the other forwards in the top 12 of the EV Defense value may not be known strictly for their defense, but, here are their salaries:
--Nichushkin, 2.5M
--Danault, was 3M, now 5.5M
--Marcus Foligno, 3.1M
--O'Reilly, 7.5M
--Coleman, was 1.8M now 4.9M
--Riley Nash, was 2.75M now 750k
--Schwartz, was 5.3M now 5.5M
--Eriksson Ek, was 1.48M, now 5.2M
--Sissons, 2.85M
--Johan Larsson, 1.4M

The arbitration process does not allow just any player to be used for comparison. Like UFA contracts cannot be used.

It has to be a RFA contract signed by a similar aged player signed in the last year or two. And the only advanced analytics allowed are the NHL advanced analytics. Not sure if that changes the above list.

Also because ZAR will be 27 in August and thus a UFA next offseason, the contract can only be for 1 year.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017

Heinen-Crosby-Rust
Guentzel-Geno-Kapanen
McGinn-Blueger-Carter
ZAR-Zohorna-Rodrigues
(Lafferty)

Dumoulin-Letang
Petts-Marino
Matheson-Friedman
(Ruhwedel)

Jarry
DeSmith

what I want and what I expect to see are two different things…not having seen the new guys much but just going by their alleged skill set, I’d like to see…

McGinn-Sid-Kap/Rust
Jake-G-Kap/Rust
Zucker-Carter-Zohorna
ZAR-Blue-Heinen
ERod

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
When healthy, I expect;

Jake-Sid-Rust
Zucker-Geno-Kap
McGinn-Carter-Heinen/E-Rod
ZAR-TB-Heinen/E-Rod

Not sure I really give a shit enough to argue if that's my preferred lineup or not. :laugh:

Dumo-Letang
Matheson-Marino
Petts-Friedman

Jake-Crosby-Simon

Rust to 3rd line with Carter for DEPTH!!!!

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
The arbitration process does not allow just any player to be used for comparison. Like UFA contracts cannot be used.

It has to be a RFA contract signed by a similar aged player signed in the last year or two. And the only advanced analytics allowed are the NHL advanced analytics. Not sure if that changes the above list.

Also because ZAR will be 27 in August and thus a UFA next offseason, the contract can only be for 1 year.

right….which is why I’d be inclined to offer him another 2 year deal to keep his AAV down…

Goalie_Bob

1992 Vezina (2nd)
Dec 30, 2005
Pittsburgh
right….which is why I’d be inclined to offer him another 2 year deal to keep his AAV down…

With the crazy contracts being given out this year, if I’m ZAR, I’m only accepting a 1 year contract unless you offer me a Brock McGinn style contract.

Cuase I’m going to bet on myself and go and have the best year of my career. I’m gonna hit everything that moves, play great defense, etc. Then I am cashing in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad