Salary Cap: Salary Cap Thread - Waiting for Goaldot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Since I screwed up the last thread title, I'm putting it right here. Probably too late considering the situation. I for one welcome our old overlords Jarry and DeSmith.

Here's some posts

The only moves this off-season that made me think "damn, I wish we would have done that" were:

1. Signing Saad for $4.5 million, even though him getting a NMC is disgusting.
2. Signing Haakanpa for $1.5 million
3. Trading a 3rd liner and a 2nd for Buchnevich
4. Signing Grubauer for $5.9 million
5. Fleury for nothing

But realistically, how many of those could the Penguins have done? 1 is definitely doable had they flipped Zucker, which I completely think they could have done based on the contracts handed out in UFA. Even if you had to retain a bit on him, you could easily justify it with that Saad contract. 2 wasn't possible because Haakanpa picked Dallas because of the amount of Finns the Stars had. 3 wasn't possible because there's no way NY would have sent him in the Metro (although I do have questions about Drury's sanity after some of these moves). 4 was possible but I think a lot of people here wouldn't have liked that. 5 didn't work with the cap, although I don't think that door is officially closed yet.

If there was something obvious, then yeah, I wanted them to do it. But so far, I've just seen a bunch of stupid contracts in free agency and stupid trades. I don't really mind Hextall replacing Tanev and going with a lottery ticket 3rd liner this off-season, just because there wasn't really any good things happening this off-season.

You really have to wait until the moment is right to make trades… try to cap dump right before ufa or the deadline and you are paying premium prices to do that

There should be a sweet spot right around seasons start when teams don’t know if they are contenders or not and have perceived holes to fill where they might take a petts or Zucker and pay to do so

To add, the Penguins also got what looks like a downright elite goalie prospect in Lindberg to sign on day 1 of free agency as well. I don't want to hype him up that much, but you don't put up those kind of numbers in the NCAA without being a legit goalie. I can't think of a goalie who put up those kind of numbers only to not pan out in the pros.

Hell, even go back to his junior days and his numbers are still great. I genuinely have no clue how this guy was only drafted as a 7th rounder at age 20. I don't want to get too excited about a prospect, but I just genuinely don't understand it. He was putting up around a .930 save% in the Finnish U18 league for 2 years and a .925 in the Finnish U20 league for one year, and then came over to North America and put up a .935 in the NCAA for one year. Only then he was drafted.

With geno on lti we could be in that rare group of teams that will be both sellers and buyers at the trade deadline.

You know the answer.

But why complain about the bottom 6 then when it's not the problem, unless you think it's radically inferior to Tampa's? Like, I know you're unhappy that we're spending money on it that could be spent on the top 6, but it's not like we're cheaping out on our top 6 or spending some insane amount on our bottom 6.

Unless you think we should be constructing a bottom 6 that can cover for the playoff misfires we've seen from Crosby and Malkin, but I think you know that's impossible.

All the talk of getting bigger and tougher went out the window. Not sure any moves can be made that address that. With very few RD left although I wouldn't mind Gudbranson if that is a move that is somewhat left in the barrel. With Angelo and Lafferty one way contracts now, I give both a good chance to play on the 4th line. Pens can still be a team that can play a physical game with the three names above. But how many posts have been made to move Petts for picks or prospects to have cap room. I think Hextall will move someone like Petts when he can but really that was needed weeks ago before the ED and the draft as well.

I bring up Zucker because of fit, rather than being a higher tier player.

Rust is a right shot. He shouldn't be on the right wall. And I can think of no one better on our team to play net-front on the PP than Sid. He's strong, he'll screen, he'll win rebounds, he'll deflect pucks. So that leaves the right wall open, which we need a left shot for, for one-timer compatibility.
Zucker's shot is much harder than Guentzel's. He can score from the wall.
The Tampa model works. Two powerful shooters on each wing with handedness facing the middle of the ice. It opens up options.

And then as for Matheson, that's only a case of not having anyone else to play the point with Malkin out.
Kapanen? His slapshot's underrated but I feel he'd be awkward there. It's not gonna be Rust. He doesn't even one-time pucks on the PP when in wing position.
Marino was awful on PP2. Pettersson is meh. Dumoulin has no offensive talent. POJ? Who else?

It can only be Matheson.

Wasn't that an extremely small sample size with Sid?

That's not good enough. There's a limited number of those types of players available. Every available player like that, people balk at here. So no, if you're going to complain to the extent that you are, you can at least propose something...ANYTHING...of what you believe could actually be done. And retreating into something like "Durrr...we can't cuz JR n stuff" is low IQ shit.

I think it’s more the difference between NHL talent and a player that had 10 good games in between missing out on around 80+ with no injury.

But, the money we are spending on our bottom six does not add up to a Kucherov, Hedman or Vasi.

So this point makes no sense. You can’t acquire these players in trade and if they are being moved the cap difference we need to add will easily be made available.

Also not being as close to the cap as possible significantly handicaps us this year because of Malkin being LTIR’d.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
The only moves this off-season that made me think "damn, I wish we would have done that" were:

1. Signing Saad for $4.5 million, even though him getting a NMC is disgusting.
2. Signing Haakanpa for $1.5 million
3. Trading a 3rd liner and a 2nd for Buchnevich
4. Signing Grubauer for $5.9 million
5. Fleury for nothing

But realistically, how many of those could the Penguins have done? 1 is definitely doable had they flipped Zucker, which I completely think they could have done based on the contracts handed out in UFA. Even if you had to retain a bit on him, you could easily justify it with that Saad contract. 2 wasn't possible because Haakanpa picked Dallas because of the amount of Finns the Stars had. 3 wasn't possible because there's no way NY would have sent him in the Metro (although I do have questions about Drury's sanity after some of these moves). 4 was possible but I think a lot of people here wouldn't have liked that. 5 didn't work with the cap, although I don't think that door is officially closed yet.

If there was something obvious, then yeah, I wanted them to do it. But so far, I've just seen a bunch of stupid contracts in free agency and stupid trades. I don't really mind Hextall replacing Tanev and going with a lottery ticket 3rd liner this off-season, just because there wasn't really any good things happening this off-season.

I think this is a good post. I'd add Reinhart for 1st and prospect, pending what he signs for.

I would also add

Saad for Zucker probably doesn't change much unless he found an insane level of chemistry here. Tbh, main thing it changes is the difficulty of freeing up cap this coming summer.

Haakanpa probably doesn't change much.

Goalies are voodoo and I hate talking about them but those two moves possibly move the needle a lot. Pricy, but potentially worth it. Grubauer's contract might look bad if he can't look good in the playoffs after playing 50-55 games. Incidentally, Grubauer's playoff history prior to moving to Colorado was a trainwreck, and the latest Athletic article on Flower states that it was Foley who said no to a Pens move for Flower last season, as he wanted Flower to be thought of as a Golden Knight and not a Penguin, so who knows if that move is available to us.

Buchnevich is the one move there (and maybe Reinhart) where I'm like "motherf***er". Buchnevich potentially makes a real difference and price to acquire and cap hit work. Of course, NYR aren't doing that with us. And I'm not sure Buffalo would have taken our equal bid considering how high Levi's stock is right now. But young-ish top 6 forwards with real ability and to help Sid and Geno lift the load... that's the dream. When Hextall drives past one of those at a good price, that's what I'll get pissy.

Goalie_Bob

1992 Vezina (2nd)
Dec 30, 2005
Pittsburgh
To add, the Penguins also got what looks like a downright elite goalie prospect in Lindberg to sign on day 1 of free agency as well. I don't want to hype him up that much, but you don't put up those kind of numbers in the NCAA without being a legit goalie. I can't think of a goalie who put up those kind of numbers only to not pan out in the pros.

Hell, even go back to his junior days and his numbers are still great. I genuinely have no clue how this guy was only drafted as a 7th rounder at age 20. I don't want to get too excited about a prospect, but I just genuinely don't understand it. He was putting up around a .930 save% in the Finnish U18 league for 2 years and a .925 in the Finnish U20 league for one year, and then came over to North America and put up a .935 in the NCAA for one year. Only then he was drafted.

Lindberg is not an elite prospect. He only looks good because what they had in WBS last season was complete crap. And the other prospects are developing far away in Clang and Blomqvist.

There have been a plethora of goalies who have played in the NCAA that have put up similar stats and have never been heard from again.

Look, I am really excited they were able to sign him but we, as a fan base, really need to slow our roll with him.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Lindberg is not an elite prospect. He only looks good because what they had in WBS last season was complete crap. And the other prospects are developing far away in Clang and Blomqvist.

There have been a plethora of goalies who have played in the NCAA that have put up similar stats and have never been heard from again.

Look, I am really excited they were able to sign him but we, as a fan base, really need to slow our roll with him.

What? I don't think it's this at all.

It's the fact that he had above a .930 save% in his NCAA career that makes me think he's a super special prospect. It's not "oh, we didn't have Matt Murray in WBS", it's that I literally can't think of another goalie prospect that has put up the absurd stats that Lindgren put up in the NCAA.

Who are these "plethora" of other goalies who dominated in the NCAA like Lindgren did that were never heard from again?

I think this is a good post. I'd add Reinhart for 1st and prospect, pending what he signs for.

I would also add

Saad for Zucker probably doesn't change much unless he found an insane level of chemistry here. Tbh, main thing it changes is the difficulty of freeing up cap this coming summer.

Haakanpa probably doesn't change much.

Goalies are voodoo and I hate talking about them but those two moves possibly move the needle a lot. Pricy, but potentially worth it. Grubauer's contract might look bad if he can't look good in the playoffs after playing 50-55 games. Incidentally, Grubauer's playoff history prior to moving to Colorado was a trainwreck, and the latest Athletic article on Flower states that it was Foley who said no to a Pens move for Flower last season, as he wanted Flower to be thought of as a Golden Knight and not a Penguin, so who knows if that move is available to us.

Buchnevich is the one move there (and maybe Reinhart) where I'm like "motherf***er". Buchnevich potentially makes a real difference and price to acquire and cap hit work. Of course, NYR aren't doing that with us. And I'm not sure Buffalo would have taken our equal bid considering how high Levi's stock is right now. But young-ish top 6 forwards with real ability and to help Sid and Geno lift the load... that's the dream. When Hextall drives past one of those at a good price, that's what I'll get pissy.

Honestly if this is the case, this just tells me Vegas is even more of a mess than I thought.

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida

He is UMass's all time leader in sv% and gga.

What are these goalies you speak of? Obviously not Johnathan Quick who played for UMass who also had good numbers but not as good as Lindberg

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

he is a potential stud we got for nothing.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
There's only been three goalies to post .940 or above in the last three years of NCAA. No other goalie's had a top 3 save percentage twice. He has a higher NCAA save percentage than Spencer Knight (.937 vs 931), also Swayman, Primeau, Oettinger, Cal Petersen...

I'm not deffo saying he's elite now, not until we see him take on a bigger workload, but I share Empo's questioning of where are all these NCAA goalies who posted numbers like that in the NCAA only to disappear without trace, because I just can't find any. And those are the numbers he's being compared against, not WBS numbers.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Still doesn't make sense why he was not re-signed. Sure he's undersized but you should have still taken a chance, but that's now our problem to figure out!!

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
Still doesn't make sense why he was not re-signed. Sure he's undersized but you should have still taken a chance, but that's now our problem to figure out!!

He's listed at 6'1 194 on elite prospects:dunno:

I'll take your first point to weird they'd let him go

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
When we signed him I was reading he was let go because he was undersized.

The only one I found different was nhl.com at 6'0 180 but everything else was exactly the original. Even UMass posted the same.

Being undersized not necessarily means anything..i.e.Mike Richter or Beezer in the 90s who both were elite

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA

He wasn’t not resigned. He was a UFA.

He basically pulled the Justin Schultz / Blake Wheeler card and forced himself to UFA.

Goalie_Bob

1992 Vezina (2nd)
Dec 30, 2005
Pittsburgh
What? I don't think it's this at all.

It's the fact that he had above a .930 save% in his NCAA career that makes me think he's a super special prospect. It's not "oh, we didn't have Matt Murray in WBS", it's that I literally can't think of another goalie prospect that has put up the absurd stats that Lindgren put up in the NCAA.

Who are these "plethora" of other goalies who dominated in the NCAA like Lindgren did that were never heard from again?

Here is list of NCAA goalies since 2005-2006 who have had a .930 sv% or higher in a single season. One thing to notice is how many games played per season Lindberg played in comparison to most of the guys on this list. It is at the bottom of the list.

As I said, I am extremely excited that the Pens were able to grab him. I'm just saying that people need to temper the expectations til he plays some pro games.

NameSchoolGPSV%
Brian ElliottWisconsin350.938
Charlie EffingerMiami190.931
Kevin ReganNew Hampshire350.935
David BrownNotre Dame390.931
Jeff JakaitisLake Superior350.931
David LeggioClarkson370.930
Jeff ZatkoffMiami360.933
Jean-Philippe LamoureuxNorth Dakota420.932
Richard BachmanColorado College350.931
Jase WesloskySt. Cloud State330.931
Alex KangasMinnesota310.930
Ben ScrivensCornell350.930
Kevin ReganNew Hampshire320.930
Chad JohnsonAlaska350.940
Ryan ZapolskiMercyhurst290.934
Zane KalembaPrinceton340.932
Jordan PearceNotre Dame390.931
Ben ScrivensCornell360.931
Brad ThiessenNortheastern410.931
Mike ClementeBrown180.930
Ben ScrivensCornell340.934
Marc CheverieDenver350.932
Shane MadoloraRIT280.935
Chris NoonanNiagara260.944
Parker MilnerBoston College340.937
Troy GrosenickUnion340.936
Connor KnappMiami240.933
Raphael GirardHarvard160.933
Shane MadoloraRIT320.931
Mike LeeSt. Cloud State160.930
Connor HellebuyckMass.-Lowell240.952
Ryan McKayMiami230.946
Anthony BorelliBrown280.942
Carsen ChubakNiagara350.939
Matt GroganConnecticut230.937
Jason KasdorfRensselaer230.935
Brady HjelleOhio State340.935
Eric HartzellQuinnipiac420.933
Jon GilliesProvidence350.931
Kevin MurdockLake Superior230.930
Connor HellebuyckMass.-Lowell290.941
Adam WilcoxMinnesota380.932
Clay WittNortheastern320.932
Jon GilliesProvidence340.931
Jimmy SarjeantMercyhurst310.930
Alex LyonYale320.939
Ryan MassaOmaha290.939
Kyle HaytonSt. Lawrence360.937
Jayson ArgueBentley200.934
Jamie PhillipsMichigan Tech410.933
Matt GinnHoly Cross310.931
Keegan AsmundsonCanisius260.930
Jon GilliesProvidence390.930
Terry ShaferRobert Morris160.930
Jake HildebrandMichigan State350.930
Parker GahagenArmy340.937
Alex LyonYale310.936
Nick EllisProvidence360.936
Cam JohnsonNorth Dakota340.935
Thatcher DemkoBoston College390.935
Kyle HaytonSt. Lawrence330.935
Kevin BoyleMass.-Lowell390.934
Merrick MadsenHarvard290.931
Jason KasdorfRensselaer300.931
Chris NellBowling Green370.930
Charles WilliamsCanisius340.943
Parker GahagenArmy350.934
Michael BitzerBemidji State390.932
Frank MarotteRobert Morris290.931
Justin KapelmasterFerris State190.930
Aidan PelinoBentley170.930
Colton PointColgate330.944
Cale MorrisNotre Dame370.944
Matthew GalajdaCornell290.939
Corbin KaczperskiYale120.933
Mat RobsonMinnesota140.933
Cayden PrimeauNortheastern340.931
Andrew ShortridgeQuinnipiac270.940
Filip LindbergMassachusetts170.934
Devin CooleyDenver200.934
Tommy NappierOhio State200.934
Cayden PrimeauNortheastern360.933
Filip LarssonDenver220.932
Cale MorrisNotre Dame350.930
Stefanos LekkasVermont340.930
Dryden McKayMinnesota State370.942
Strauss MannMichigan350.939
Jeremy SwaymanMaine340.939
Frank MarotteClarkson340.938
Zach DriscollBemidji State330.937
John LethemonMichigan State330.935
Tommy NappierOhio State320.932
Owen SavoryRensselaer240.932
Matthew GalajdaCornell290.931
Spencer KnightBoston College330.931
Chad VeltriNiagara190.931
Tyler WallMass.-Lowell320.931
Filip LindbergMassachusetts150.949
Jack LaFontaineMinnesota290.934
Blake PietilaMichigan Tech240.934
Cameron RoweWisconsin160.933
Spencer KnightBoston College210.932
Adam ScheelNorth Dakota260.931
Strauss MannMichigan210.930
Mareks MitensLake Superior250.930
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Here is list of NCAA goalies since 2005-2006 who have had a .930 sv% or higher in a single season. One thing to notice is how many games played per season Lindberg played in comparison to most of the guys on this list. It is at the bottom of the list.

As I said, I am extremely excited that the Pens were able to grab him. I'm just saying that people need to temper the expectations til he plays some pro games.

NameSchoolGPSV%
Brian ElliottWisconsin350.938
Charlie EffingerMiami190.931
Kevin ReganNew Hampshire350.935
David BrownNotre Dame390.931
Jeff JakaitisLake Superior350.931
David LeggioClarkson370.930
Jeff ZatkoffMiami360.933
Jean-Philippe LamoureuxNorth Dakota420.932
Richard BachmanColorado College350.931
Jase WesloskySt. Cloud State330.931
Alex KangasMinnesota310.930
Ben ScrivensCornell350.930
Kevin ReganNew Hampshire320.930
Chad JohnsonAlaska350.940
Ryan ZapolskiMercyhurst290.934
Zane KalembaPrinceton340.932
Jordan PearceNotre Dame390.931
Ben ScrivensCornell360.931
Brad ThiessenNortheastern410.931
Mike ClementeBrown180.930
Ben ScrivensCornell340.934
Marc CheverieDenver350.932
Shane MadoloraRIT280.935
Chris NoonanNiagara260.944
Parker MilnerBoston College340.937
Troy GrosenickUnion340.936
Connor KnappMiami240.933
Raphael GirardHarvard160.933
Shane MadoloraRIT320.931
Mike LeeSt. Cloud State160.930
Connor HellebuyckMass.-Lowell240.952
Ryan McKayMiami230.946
Anthony BorelliBrown280.942
Carsen ChubakNiagara350.939
Matt GroganConnecticut230.937
Jason KasdorfRensselaer230.935
Brady HjelleOhio State340.935
Eric HartzellQuinnipiac420.933
Jon GilliesProvidence350.931
Kevin MurdockLake Superior230.930
Connor HellebuyckMass.-Lowell290.941
Adam WilcoxMinnesota380.932
Clay WittNortheastern320.932
Jon GilliesProvidence340.931
Jimmy SarjeantMercyhurst310.930
Alex LyonYale320.939
Ryan MassaOmaha290.939
Kyle HaytonSt. Lawrence360.937
Jayson ArgueBentley200.934
Jamie PhillipsMichigan Tech410.933
Matt GinnHoly Cross310.931
Keegan AsmundsonCanisius260.930
Jon GilliesProvidence390.930
Terry ShaferRobert Morris160.930
Jake HildebrandMichigan State350.930
Parker GahagenArmy340.937
Alex LyonYale310.936
Nick EllisProvidence360.936
Cam JohnsonNorth Dakota340.935
Thatcher DemkoBoston College390.935
Kyle HaytonSt. Lawrence330.935
Kevin BoyleMass.-Lowell390.934
Merrick MadsenHarvard290.931
Jason KasdorfRensselaer300.931
Chris NellBowling Green370.930
Charles WilliamsCanisius340.943
Parker GahagenArmy350.934
Michael BitzerBemidji State390.932
Frank MarotteRobert Morris290.931
Justin KapelmasterFerris State190.930
Aidan PelinoBentley170.930
Colton PointColgate330.944
Cale MorrisNotre Dame370.944
Matthew GalajdaCornell290.939
Corbin KaczperskiYale120.933
Mat RobsonMinnesota140.933
Cayden PrimeauNortheastern340.931
Andrew ShortridgeQuinnipiac270.940
Filip LindbergMassachusetts170.934
Devin CooleyDenver200.934
Tommy NappierOhio State200.934
Cayden PrimeauNortheastern360.933
Filip LarssonDenver220.932
Cale MorrisNotre Dame350.930
Stefanos LekkasVermont340.930
Dryden McKayMinnesota State370.942
Strauss MannMichigan350.939
Jeremy SwaymanMaine340.939
Frank MarotteClarkson340.938
Zach DriscollBemidji State330.937
John LethemonMichigan State330.935
Tommy NappierOhio State320.932
Owen SavoryRensselaer240.932
Matthew GalajdaCornell290.931
Spencer KnightBoston College330.931
Chad VeltriNiagara190.931
Tyler WallMass.-Lowell320.931
Filip LindbergMassachusetts150.949
Jack LaFontaineMinnesota290.934
Blake PietilaMichigan Tech240.934
Cameron RoweWisconsin160.933
Spencer KnightBoston College210.932
Adam ScheelNorth Dakota260.931
Strauss MannMichigan210.930
Mareks MitensLake Superior250.930
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Okay, so how many of those guys had a career save% of .930 or better while playing 50 games or more in the NCAA?

It's not that Lindberg had 1 season at that level that makes me hyped, it's that literally his entirely college experience was that level or better that makes me hyped.

Lindberg literally has a .937 save% in his career in his 3 years in the NCAA. That's obscene and that's way above the "here's all of the guys who had a .930 save% in the NCAA" requirement.

Goalie_Bob

1992 Vezina (2nd)
Dec 30, 2005
Pittsburgh
Okay, so how many of those guys had a career save% of .930 or better while playing 50 games or more in the NCAA?

It's not that Lindberg had 1 season at that level that makes me hyped, it's that literally his entirely college experience was that level or better that makes me hyped.

Lindberg literally has a .937 save% in his career in his 3 years in the NCAA. That's obscene and that's way above the "here's all of the guys who had a .930 save% in the NCAA" requirement.

It's your turn to do the data dive. :)

I agree, I'm excited. I just don't hold the NCAA in as high a regard as you do. It has not been a very good breeding ground for goaltenders.

Reactions: Pens x

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
It's your turn to do the data dive. :)

I agree, I'm excited. I just don't hold the NCAA in as high a regard as you do. It has not been a very good breeding ground for goaltenders.

Don't get me wrong, I totally agree with this. It's why I'm waiting to see Lindberg in some professional games before I rank him super highly in the prospect pool (as in in the top-3 in the prospect pool).

Lindberg's entire resume up to this point doesn't make sense to me with how he's been ranked among NHL executives. I don't know what it is with him, but the guy puts up insane numbers and somehow doesn't get recognized for it. I'm excited to see how he does once he turns pro, but I can't deny he's been somewhat overlook for whatever reason.

Like I said in the prospect ranking thread, he's my #4 prospect until he starts lighting it up in the professional ranks. As soon as he does that, he jumps up to my #1 ranking.

Reactions: Peat and Goalie_Bob

enviSAGE

waitin on the good times
Aug 10, 2011

He is UMass's all time leader in sv% and gga.

What are these goalies you speak of? Obviously not Johnathan Quick who played for UMass who also had good numbers but not as good as Lindberg

I went back 10 years. You let me know if you have heard of any of these goalies before.
Ben Scrivens
Shane Madolora
Chris Noonan
Troy Grosenick
Connor Knapp
Adam Wilcox
Alex Lyon
Kyle Hayton
Parker Gahagen
Charles Williams
Evan Cowley
Cale Morris
Colton Point

There are even more one-year wonders that put up a .940+ and then were like GoalieBob said, never heard from again. The only ones I see from that timeframe that have worked out are Connor Hellebuyck and Thatcher Demko. The jury is still very much out on Oettinger, Swayman, and Knight.

I'm not saying don't be excited by the possibility, but I'm going to hold my breath until I see Lindberg do the work in the AHL too. GMRH sure as hell better not let the signing of Lindberg mean that we don't still need to go out and get a goalie anymore (I'm looking for you Flower.)

*Edit- Goaliebob showed his work anyway too. Bravo sir.

Last edited:

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
I went back 10 years. You let me know if you have heard of any of these goalies before.
Ben Scrivens
Shane Madolora
Chris Noonan
Troy Grosenick
Connor Knapp
Adam Wilcox
Alex Lyon
Kyle Hayton
Parker Gahagen
Charles Williams
Evan Cowley
Cale Morris
Colton Point

There are even more one-year wonders that put up a .940+ and then were like GoalieBob said, never heard from again. The only ones I see from that timeframe that have worked out are Connor Hellebuyck and Thatcher Demko. The jury is still very much out on Oettinger, Swayman, and Knight.

I'm not saying don't be excited by the possibility, but I'm going to hold my breath until I see Lindberg do the work in the AHL too. GMRH sure as hell better not let the signing of Lindberg mean that we don't still need to go out and get a goalie anymore (I'm looking for you Flower.)

Fair point. Let's hope for the Best. Out of your list I believe Lyon and Scrivens played some NHL games, but obviously not elite

Reactions: enviSAGE

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
So what's going on with the defense? Pettersson/Friedman as the 3rd pairing?

tom_servo

Sep 27, 2002
Pittsburgh
Ben Scrivens
Shane Madolora
Chris Noonan
Troy Grosenick
Connor Knapp
Adam Wilcox
Alex Lyon
Kyle Hayton
Parker Gahagen
Charles Williams
Evan Cowley
Cale Morris
Colton Point

*Edit- Goaliebob showed his work anyway too. Bravo sir.

I picked up Ben Scrivens from waivers to start in a game and he set the NHL record for saves in a shutout.

Reactions: EightyOne

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
gg to Jarry

I mean, that's basically what our bottom pairings were last year outside of Cody Ceci who despite what this board wants to say was not really anything special and I'm more than willing to bet that Matheson will be fine without him, much like Niskanen took a step under Reirden after a few bad years in Dallas it seemed as if Matheson did the same.

And I think people forget how hot and cold Nisky was in the playoffs for us before going to Washington.

Last edited:

deakka

Nov 6, 2009
Ruhwedel is also fully capable of a bottom pairing role imo if Friedman doesnt work (or gets iniired against the flyers, they really hate him it seems).

Defense is fine i think. Wouldn't mind moving Pettersson and play POJ instead. But thats more of a salary cap upgrade than anything.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
giphy.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->