Salary Cap: Salary Cap Thread - Waiting for Goaldot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Tatar is who I liked because he's so good at 5v5 production and the rush which is what we're lacking, more scoring off the rush and even strength. This team needs to be as dangerous 5v5 as they should be on the powerplay, theoretically.

Given this personnel this should be a top 3. But the Panthers converted more and blokes still think it's the players vs usage. Usage is insanely important I think, well I've seen, this team doesn't quite grasp that. It's a lot of "we lost this type and we need to replace that type with someone else" vs "well we don't have that type of player anymore, how can we still be effective with what we have with more creative usage?"

Complacency is a killer. We all know that. Lack of creativity is just as deadly.

OtherThingsILike

May 6, 2020
Pittsburgh
Honestly, I wouldn't be heartbroken in the least if the Pens moved on from Aston-Reese, but I really don't understand the hatred he gets on these boards. What do people really expect from bottom six forwards?
I think a lot of people expect 'Kessel on the third line' production from bottom six forwards.

Reactions: Freeptop

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Running a power play isn't that hard of a mental task.

Completely disagree. In a powerplay, once set up you have to execute plays like other American sports and you are expected to generate scoring chances. The opponent is also entrenched; it's like a game of chess. Compared to 5-on-5 where it's mostly about volume of chance generation and both teams are playing offense it is far more mentally difficult.

Having said that, we should have Matheson on PP1 because he can play enough defense to stifle short handed chances against and he's one of the most offensively talented players on the team. People talk about how all powerplays have 4 forwards...well, Matheson is the 4th forward full stop.

Reactions: Gurglesons

Freeptop

Jun 17, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
There should have been absolutely zero worry about ZAR going to free agency. That is my point.

The key part of that sentence was the bit about "and paying more for a replacement in free agency", not the part about losing ZAR. Keeping a player that you know works for your team for a reasonable price is better than taking a chance that you might be able to find someone better for a comparable price in free agency.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad