Salary Cap: Salary Cap Thread - Waiting for Goaldot

Status
Not open for further replies.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
I can’t go on. I’ll go on.

There's man all over for you, blaming on his boots the faults of his feet.

Last edited:

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
I went back 10 years. You let me know if you have heard of any of these goalies before.
Ben Scrivens
Shane Madolora
Chris Noonan
Troy Grosenick
Connor Knapp
Adam Wilcox
Alex Lyon
Kyle Hayton
Parker Gahagen
Charles Williams
Evan Cowley
Cale Morris
Colton Point

There are even more one-year wonders that put up a .940+ and then were like GoalieBob said, never heard from again. The only ones I see from that timeframe that have worked out are Connor Hellebuyck and Thatcher Demko. The jury is still very much out on Oettinger, Swayman, and Knight.

I'm not saying don't be excited by the possibility, but I'm going to hold my breath until I see Lindberg do the work in the AHL too. GMRH sure as hell better not let the signing of Lindberg mean that we don't still need to go out and get a goalie anymore (I'm looking for you Flower.)

*Edit- Goaliebob showed his work anyway too. Bravo sir.
Game. Set. Match.

Headshot77

Bad Photoshopper
Feb 15, 2015
Boston can add all the depth they want but they just lost Krejci. They are taking a step back this year.

Seattle perplexes me because they had the opportunity to become another perennial contender right out of the gate. They had the same ED rules as Vegas, and they had the rest of the league by the balls when it comes to cap space. So many missed opportunities to take on side deals for 2nd round picks. Like, in the Vegas ED Vegas would have been given a 2nd to skip Domi and take Bayruther. With how cap strapped teams were, some of them would have offered a 2nd to take Domi instead. But Seattle punted and decided to build the old school way. What a waste.[/QUOTE]

Petterson+Jarry for Fleury and a Prospect or pick would be a cap savings of 525,175 for the Pens. (Why is Petterson's cap hit so weird anyway?)

It looks like Chicago is boned if Fleury won't report, so we could probably squeeze a good piece out of them with this trade. The problem is that I don't think Chicago needs a #2 LD.

Lust for Life

Jun 30, 2018
To change the discussion a bit from the last few days...

Is there an argument to be made for exploring trading Dumoulin instead of Pettersson? No doubt the better player, but five years older and soon-ish UFA. Is there a discussion to be had cashing in on him and getting some assets before he gets older and perhaps starts declining or walks in free agency? And would he get us a better package than Pettersson considering he's a better player and not as big of a long-term drain on the salary cap for the acquiring team?

I'm not advocating one or the other, just interested if there's a discussion to be had on the subject.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
To change the discussion a bit from the last few days...

Is there an argument to be made for exploring trading Dumoulin instead of Pettersson? No doubt the better player, but five years older and soon-ish UFA. Is there a discussion to be had cashing in on him and getting some assets before he gets older and perhaps starts declining or walks in free agency? And would he get us a better package than Pettersson considering he's a better player and not as big of a long-term drain on the salary cap for the acquiring team?

I'm not advocating one or the other, just interested if there's a discussion to be had on the subject.

Depends where you see the team going innit.

If you think this team could make some noise this year, the deal for Dumo would have to be astronomic to make it worth it.

If you think this team needs a retool at the least before we do anything, then this team should be indeed looking at moving Dumo instead of Pettersson if the price is right. Also Rust.

Which I think points very clearly to what Hexturke thinks about this team...

Reactions: Lust for Life

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Depends where you see the team going innit.

If you think this team could make some noise this year, the deal for Dumo would have to be astronomic to make it worth it.

If you think this team needs a retool at the least before we do anything, then this team should be indeed looking at moving Dumo instead of Pettersson if the price is right. Also Rust.

Which I think points very clearly to what Hexturke thinks about this team...

since Hextall has already said they’re going to re-sign Rust, that tells you everything to know depending on your perspective. Personally I think it shows they think we’re nowhere near a contender but given cap space and moves that would need to be made, and the core coming back, there’s not much they’re going to do about it—they’re gonna put together the best team they can for the money and ride Sidney off into the sunset …if they were serious about being contenders, they would make bolder moves, particularly on goaltending…I mean re-signing Rust could be spun as “I think we’re contenders now and don’t need to make any moves” but that’s ridiculous spin imo in the context of three first round exits with Sully’s players doing it Sully’s way…

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
There's really no need for a goalie upgrade until the deadline.

Jarry and DeSmith can take us that far, anyway.

Reactions: Dominance

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
since Hextall has already said they’re going to re-sign Rust, that tells you everything to know depending on your perspective. Personally I think it shows they think we’re nowhere near a contender but given cap space and moves that would need to be made, and the core coming back, there’s not much they’re going to do about it—they’re gonna put together the best team they can for the money and ride Sidney off into the sunset …if they were serious about being contenders, they would make bolder moves, particularly on goaltending…I mean re-signing Rust could be spun as “I think we’re contenders now and don’t need to make any moves” but that’s ridiculous spin imo in the context of three first round exits with Sully’s players doing it Sully’s way…
He also said the team would get more physical, which has been total bs so far. You can’t trust everything he says.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
There's really no need for a goalie upgrade until the deadline.

Jarry and DeSmith can take us that far, anyway.
But then you will have to trade away assets to accomplish that in the middle of the season. Does sleepy want to trade picks or prospects?

Also, if Pettersson sucks out of the gate, we are stuck with that contract forever.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Then on top of that, Sullivan refuses to move Rust off L1. Despite the whole line sucking ass. I was hoping they would trade him before his big payday but I guess Hextall has other plans.
Are we confident that Hextall has a plan?

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
But then you will have to trade away assets to accomplish that in the middle of the season. Does sleepy want to trade picks or prospects?

Also, if Pettersson sucks out of the gate, we are stuck with that contract forever.

We'll see.

I'm not nearly as down as most of this forum on Pettersson. I think he's been a lot more solid than he's been billed here, and the underlying numbers support that. He's not perfect but he's a pretty smart, mobile 6'3" defenseman.

I'd move Matheson over him in a heartbeat if that were an option.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Then on top of that, Sullivan refuses to move Rust off L1. Despite the whole line sucking ass. I was hoping they would trade him before his big payday but I guess Hextall has other plans.

That's another thing Sullivan needs to improve.

Why can't Malkin see more of Guentzel and Rust when we can't generate anything? Why can't we try Kapanen and Zucker with Crosby? Our top 6 is way too static.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Rust bores me. His play is just so pedestrian the last few seasons.

you’ll have the pleasure then of watching his boring ass at $5.5 mil per year at least after this year…instead of his cheap current rate….lol

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Molinari has an article today wondering aloud if the Pens should go after Lundqvist when he’s medically cleared to play…lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad