Salary Cap: Salary Cap Summer | The Hunt for 3C | Updated cap info in Post #1

Status
Not open for further replies.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Yea Vegas has 3 potentials in Eakin, Karlsson and Lindberg.
Just dunno if they're willing to part with 1.
I don't believe Haula is available.
And they signed Lindberg to a 2yr deal.
But maybe Eakin and Karlsson are available. Dunno.
I gotta think a couple of the 5 targets JR had were from Vegas or atleast 1.

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
No one is trashing Rowney here but he's an AHL journeyman that got his cup of coffee and made the most of it.

You're doing it even if you don't know it.
Rowney is not a journeyman. He is a late bloomer.
He came to Wheeling in 12/13 after having had 4AHL games after college eleswehere, got promoted to WBS and then went from strength to strength there from 4th line to be the 1st line C over the next three seasons and on to the NHL team from there in his 4th AHL season.

He has worked himself up and changed the perspective and expectation on himself from season to season every year for about a decade.

Cole says he has no NHL finishing.... I say that his shooting percentage was 12,5. Getting used to the pace was always going to be an issue with him.
Ultimately, he got 3 goals and 7 points in 27 games on a wounded Pens team last season. If you look at his record and how he has been improving every year for a long time, I think it is very likely that he outperforms those averages next season, and his average would be 9 goals / 21 points. That in and of itself would be more than acceptable on most NHL teams. If it is more.... well, it isn't like Cullen, but then again where do you happen to find that anywhere in the league from the 4th line?

Penske

Kunitz wasn't there
Jan 13, 2016
We have tons of cheap depth.
Dream is still alive, my friend.

We do have tons of depth but they all have to pass through waivers. Got to expect someone to be traded. Maybe for some waiver exempt players.

ZAR and Sprong are waiver exempt but I'd imagine if they are up it's more of a permanent thing in bigger roles.

Giant Yankee Pens

May 17, 2010
Rowney had 20 gps in the playoffs and had 3 pts, all in one game I believe. He really struggled to finish. He does not have NHL finish abilities, at all. Could he play the first 40 games of the regular season.. sure. Why not. I am fine with what he brings. But we will have other injuries. That's why it's good to have him as a #13 who fills in as opposed to playing 82.

We have Archie, Kuhn, Sprong, ZAR, all as injury replacements. Let Cullen come back or let Rowney see if he can cut it in the regular season. Why bring in an extra vet that will take time away from Kuhn, Archie, Rowney, etc.? As it is, if Cullen comes back we are going to have to trade or expose someone to waivers right?

dasuc

Jul 5, 2017
I gotta think a couple of the 5 targets JR had were from Vegas.

Haula and Lindberg i'd imagine are both not available because they signed both of them.

I believe GMJR's targets are probably Karlson (VGK), Eakin (VGK), Namestikov (TBL), Lazar(CGY) if he causes problems resigning, and Teravainen(CAR)

Yea I know Teravainen is more of a winger but he still can play center

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Jagr's problem is that he's picky and high maintenance. He wants warm weather, limited travel, tons of powerplay time and lots of money.

Narrows things down a bit.

And even then he might feed you a line about not being able to play with left-handed centers or some crap.

Yup exactly. He's not going to sign in WPG for 1MM or something. If he were willing to, there'd be a number of teams lining up. Players that produce 40+ points are always in demand.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Rowney had 20 gps in the playoffs and had 3 pts, all in one game I believe. He really struggled to finish. He does not have NHL finish abilities, at all. Could he play the first 40 games of the regular season.. sure. Why not. I am fine with what he brings. But we will have other injuries. That's why it's good to have him as a #13 who fills in as opposed to playing 82.

Yup agreed. He's a fine depth player and served a purpose in the playoffs, but I'm not comfortable lining him up as a regular center without reinforcements ready. Maybe Blueger is ready to take over mid season. There is plenty of time, I'm just saying I don't like the looks of a xxx-Rowney-Reaves 4th line long term.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Yeah, I had high hopes for him based off of his regular season performance, but like you said he went scoreless in 19 of the 20 playoff games. It's not like he was getting stonewalled or anything either, he was just a complete non-factor offensively. He also had at least a couple defensive gaffes that directly led to goals against. He has a lot of energy and can play at a high pace, but his offensive ceiling is very low. Pair him with Reeves and you might be looking at sub-Gladams level of offense next season (wish I was joking)?

Yep. 4 points total in 56 playoff games combined. We have a good while til we are there, but that's not what made this team a dominant force. :laugh:

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
You're doing it even if you don't know it.
Rowney is not a journeyman. He is a late bloomer.
He came to Wheeling in 12/13 after having had 4AHL games after college eleswehere, got promoted to WBS and then went from strength to strength there from 4th line to be the 1st line C over the next three seasons and on to the NHL team from there in his 4th AHL season.

He has worked himself up and changed the perspective and expectation on himself from season to season every year for about a decade.

Cole says he has no NHL finishing.... I say that his shooting percentage was 12,5. Getting used to the pace was always going to be an issue with him.
Ultimately, he got 3 goals and 7 points in 27 games on a wounded Pens team last season. If you look at his record and how he has been improving every year for a long time, I think it is very likely that he outperforms those averages next season, and his average would be 9 goals / 21 points. That in and of itself would be more than acceptable on most NHL teams. If it is more.... well, it isn't like Cullen, but then again where do you happen to find that anywhere in the league from the 4th line?

Man you have an interesting definition of "trashing" someone.

I'll do an avatar bet he won't put up 20 points this year.

ncm7772

Apr 10, 2016
Upstate NY
I don't see why anybody wouldn't want JJs versatility. Better than our bottom 6 Forwards atm. Except for Rust, Maybe Hags.

I think we've chatted the Jokinen possibility to death but yeah, I agree.

And before you counter, I think you are 100% right when it came to Orpik and those guys. But our current situation, 3 Cups, I say we run with it. When we are bare with prospects and Sid/G are retiring, let's start over in a 3-5 year rebuild. I'm not interested in being like Philly where we make the playoffs and lose because we lack depth.

Will never be like Philly :rant:.

Haha seriously though, I agree with you. Salary cap era, you gotta win when you have the horses. If that includes mortgaging the future, so be it.

That looks about right. If Sheary regresses to be a 35-40 point guy, $3 million isn't terrible for that kind of production. And if he repeats his regular season performance from this year, it'll be a steal.

I just hope he doesn't get paid like you'd expect a 50-60 point guy to get paid, since he's only done that one time and there's no guarantee he'll do it again.

Eh, I think $3M for 35-40 points is a bit of an overpayment, but in this case, not necessarily. As has been said before, when Sheary isn't scoring, he's useless. But yes, I think he can continue to have successful 50-60 point seasons, and in that case $3M would be very reasonable.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Haula and Lindberg i'd imagine are both not available because they signed both of them.

I believe GMJR's targets are probably Karlson (VGK), Eakin (VGK), Namestikov (TBL), Lazar(CGY) if he causes problems resigning, and Teravainen(CAR)

Yea I know Teravainen is more of a winger but he still can play center

Yea, it's tough to say past Duchene and a couple VGK guys. Dunno.

Giant Yankee Pens

May 17, 2010
Yep. 4 points total in 56 playoff games combined. We have a good while til we are there, but that's not what made this team a dominant force. :laugh:

Is your problem with Rowney in a vacuum, or Rowney-Reaves as regular season linemates, or Rowney-Reaves as playoff linemates?

I agree Rowney-Reaves shouldn't be a playoff 4th line, but to start this season? Why not? ( If Cullen retires). See what happens and don't lose anyone to waivers would be my thought.

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
Jagr's problem is that he's picky and high maintenance. He wants warm weather, limited travel, tons of powerplay time and lots of money.

Narrows things down a bit.

And even then he might feed you a line about not being able to play with left-handed centers or some crap.

To me Jagr has Vegas written all over him

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
And Cullen is a MUCH better player than Rowney, even at 40. I think people underestimate how good of a hockey player Matt Cullen is and how much of that 4th line was him making it go.

Will we be fine with Rowney at 4C? Sure, but it's not a Stanley Cup contending 4th line with Rowney-Reaves as 2/3rd's of it. Hey maybe I'm wrong and Rowney will continue to get better. I hope so.

If JR gets a 2C for the 3C position having that 4th line will be fine at contending. I think the key is to get a 3rd line that plays like HBK did in 2016. The big difference between the 2016 team that steamrolled opponents compared to this season which was much more difficult was weaker 3rd line and no Letang. If we get a very good center for the 3C spot this team will be 100% better than the 2017 Champs. With Letang and a 3rd line that plays like a top line makes us worlds better.

Guentzel-Crosby-Sheary
Rust-Malkin-Hornqvist
Hagelin-Duchene-Kessel
Wilson-Rowney-Reaves

Something like that still makes us a better team than having that Better 4th line. Honestly Bonino did not perform anything better than a normal 3rd line center this year. We need a 3rd line like HBK. I am not saying it has to be Duchene but someone that is like that type of player.

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
Man you have an interesting definition of "trashing" someone.

I'll do an avatar bet he won't put up 20 points this year.

I think you are taking it too literally. The bulk of my post was obviously not for you - just pointing out that he had a grand total of 4 professional games outside our organisation post-college. He has risen up our ranks. That's not a journeyman.

As for the bet - conditional on him starting the season as our 4th line C, I take that bet. Money, mouth etc.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Is your problem with Rowney in a vacuum, or Rowney-Reaves as regular season linemates, or Rowney-Reaves as playoff linemates?

I agree Rowney-Reaves shouldn't be a playoff 4th line, but to start this season? Why not? ( If Cullen retires). See what happens and don't lose anyone to waivers would be my thought.

I don't think it's a "problem" but it's just something i'm watching. I have zero issues about anything regular season. All of my concerns are more geared at playoff time.

Can Reaves/Rowney go wild in the playoffs and give us depth scoring? Sure.. anything can happen. Max Talbot scored 2 goals in Game 7 of the SCF. Is that going to consistently happen? Max Talbot found out no... it may have been a product of being with Geno. :laugh:

So I look at their playoff woes and it's a legit concern to me. For Reaves, he has an insane amount of d-zone starts, but 1 point in 36 playoff games is a concern. He could turn it around, but that's a gamble. A gamble in the sense that it's not what has worked for our team on our way to 2 Cups. But it's also a small gamble. Typically, if the Pens don't have to - i don't want them gambling. I'd rather take the more appropriate action which is putting him on a line with Wilson and a more skilled 4th line center and see what happens.

Harvey Birdman

…Need some law books, with pictures this time…
Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office
Come on GMJR, 1.1M, 1YR for Jussi Jokinen? You couldn't beat that. That's DIRT cheap for him even if you only believe he would useful in a bottom 6 roll. He could have been the perfect stop gap 3C till better options came up over the season.

High Flying Birds

Aug 29, 2009
Victoria, B.C
I gotta think a couple of the 5 targets JR had were from Vegas or atleast 1.

Eakin is a realistic possibility. Somewhat similar player to Bones. Had a dreadful season in 16/17 but he's been a steady offensive contributer prior to that. Good face off man too. Only obstacle might be the fair sized cap hit he carries.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad