Salary Cap: Salary Cap Summer | The Hunt for 3C | Updated cap info in Post #1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tasty Biscuits

with fancy sauce
Aug 8, 2011
Pittsburgh
Very possible we offered Juicy a similar contract, but he chose the Oilers over us because 3-peating is nigh impossible. Always something to consider.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Eakin is a realistic possibility. Somewhat similar player to Bones. Had a dreadful season in 16/17 but he's been a steady offensive contributer prior to that. Good face off man too. Only obstacle might be the fair sized cap hit he carries.

Yeah, what the heck happened to his production last season? Hopefully he's not all bashed up and declining already.

Giant Yankee Pens

May 17, 2010
I don't think it's a "problem" but it's just something i'm watching. I have zero issues about anything regular season. All of my concerns are more geared at playoff time.

Can Reaves/Rowney go wild in the playoffs and give us depth scoring? Sure.. anything can happen. Max Talbot scored 2 goals in Game 7 of the SCF. Is that going to consistently happen? Max Talbot found out no... it may have been a product of being with Geno. :laugh:

So I look at their playoff woes and it's a legit concern to me. For Reaves, he has an insane amount of d-zone starts, but 1 point in 36 playoff games is a concern. He could turn it around, but that's a gamble. A gamble in the sense that it's not what has worked for our team on our way to 2 Cups. But it's also a small gamble. Typically, if the Pens don't have to - i don't want them gambling. I'd rather take the more appropriate action which is putting him on a line with Wilson and a more skilled 4th line center and see what happens.

OK, that I totally agree with. I'd like to see what we have in the regular season on the 4th line and then improve the skill mid season if we have to. I also think Cullen will come back and JR will trade for a 3C and it will all be a moot point anyway

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I think you are taking it too literally. The bulk of my post was obviously not for you - just pointing out that he had a grand total of 4 professional games outside our organisation post-college. He has risen up our ranks. That's not a journeyman.

As for the bet - conditional on him starting the season as our 4th line C, I take that bet. Money, mouth etc.

:yo:

Penske

Kunitz wasn't there
Jan 13, 2016
Very possible we offered Juicy a similar contract, but he chose the Oilers over us because 3-peating is nigh impossible. Always something to consider.

I don't think we've offered anything to anyone for the 4C spot (except Cullen) until we sort out our RFA's and 3C. We might have limited capspace after that's sorted.

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
Per NBCSports, Dominic Toninato won't be signing with the Leafs, since they could only offer him an AHL contract. He won't be able to sign anywhere until August 15, but he might be an interesting get. Unlikely he'd step right into a 3C spot, but still worth keeping an eye on.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
Is it possible that the longer JR has looked at his options at C, he likes what he sees internally??

Bluegar, Simon, ZAR and Johnson are all options. Maybe they have an open competition during training camp and see who rises to the top.

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
Come on GMJR, 1.1M, 1YR for Jussi Jokinen? You couldn't beat that. That's DIRT cheap for him even if you only believe he would useful in a bottom 6 roll. He could have been the perfect stop gap 3C till better options came up over the season.

Uh players are slaves and don't necessarily go to the highest bidder

Free agents have a CHOICE where they wish to ply their craft

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I'd be okay with Eakin if other options dry up. He's signed for 3 more years at 3.85MM. That's probably the contract JR was comfortable with for Bones. Get him for 1 less year than Bones and slightly lower cap hit. It's a risk to take that contract with his down year, but maybe Vegas will eat a bit of it.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Is it possible that the longer JR has looked at his options at C, he likes what he sees internally??

Bluegar, Simon, ZAR and Johnson are all options. Maybe they have an open competition during training camp and see who rises to the top.

Anything is possible, but it's unlikely. I think he's leaving the 4C spot open for competition or Cullen, but not 3C. That's not a hole you fill with random free agent signing that none of us have heard of before yesterday.

Simon and ZAR are wingers in the NHL.

Harvey Birdman

…Need some law books, with pictures this time…
Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office
Uh players are slaves and don't necessarily go to the highest bidder

Free agents have a CHOICE where they wish to ply their craft

468dcbdfe9abbe5f85aafd79b0cb13be.png

Saints11

Jan 24, 2012
Pittsburgh
That's great and all... except that not a single one of those guys you've named has shown that they're able to play as a center in the NHL - most of those guys are not even centers in WBS. So while it's great to name guys like Sprong and ZAR and whomever... they're irrelevant to this discussion, as none will be our #4C - regardless of whether we bring someone in or not. :shakehead

Thank God; or rather Edmonton, neither will Jokinen!

Saints11

Jan 24, 2012
Pittsburgh
Per NBCSports, Dominic Toninato won't be signing with the Leafs, since they could only offer him an AHL contract. He won't be able to sign anywhere until August 15, but he might be an interesting get. Unlikely he'd step right into a 3C spot, but still worth keeping an eye on.

He was Johnson's center at UMD. Would definitely be worth the gamble.

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
And people said the pens would be in cap hell

If we had the same drafting/development staff that we had in years past, we most likely would be. I'm not even sure who it is that we should credit, but it's really come a long way since the Craig Patrick days.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille