Salary Cap: Salary Cap Summer | The Hunt for 3C | Stop trying to give Sheary or Maatta away

Status
Not open for further replies.

deakka

Nov 6, 2009
JR doesnt expect to sign either of Dumo or Sheary before the hearings. I think hes pretty happy with 1 year deals. They are both RFA afterwards.

Dumo shouldnt explode offensively and he should be retained on a longer term deal after next season.

And in Shearys case. We avoid the trap of signing him long term and afterwards find out hes more the playoffs Sheary than the regular season one.
And if he somehow repeat this season, or ger better, we still hold his rights and should be able to move him if he prices himself out.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Well, Toronto might trade him to us if they truly want a defense upgrade. They're overloaded at forward. I know the downsides of trading Maatta from our depth perspective but we have no one in the pipeline long term at center and our prospects aren't good. We have young, but better, D prospects. I think Kadri is signed long term, as is Maatta. I'm just saying...I don't think this is a bad hockey trade and Maatta isn't a great fit for our system...yes, we would have to work out a depth signing this year and we'd have to get a contract signed with Dumo. But I think it's realistic and doable if Toronto would consider it, and they're kinda in the same position with defense as we are with center prospects

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
My error then. I assumed that since Kadri was one of those individuals singled out by Babs; in addition to Bozak and JVR; that they be moving their #4 center over there 3C. Plus the fact that moving Kadri gives them more contract flexibility than does moving Bozak. I read that with Marleau, the Leafs have something like 19 forward candidates, are over the cap, and even unable to sign draft picks to 2 way contracts. Which is why they have to let Dominic Toninato have to walk as an UFA after August 15th. They have overstocked the cupboard with especially C candidates and are in need of relief. Nylander needs a spot. But if Kadri is not available, so be it. I personally have less interest in a 32 year old UFA to be.

Babcock does not want Nylander to play center. Not now, perhaps not ever. Matthews-Nylander is money, so I don't know if he will ever want to tinker with that.

If we trade Hornqvist then that also creates a glaring need. We don't have an excess of players like him.

I doubt he's traded. Most likely we keep him and see how the contract negotiations go next summer. It's ok to let him walk if the price is too high. Better to have him in the side for this season. It doesn't have to be Hornqvist for a 3C. Sounds like JR has multiple options.

Sure we have options. I just feel at this time that trading an established veteran player is our best option in terms of acquiring a 3C. Our deepest position organizationally speaking is probably goaltender, followed by right wing.

Also, when you say an excess of players like him, I am not too convinced of this. It depends on what people see in Hornqvist. I see a max-effort, 40-50-point winger. Hagelin MAY be able to hit 40 points, but is more of a max-effort 35-point guy. Rust is a 40-50 point guy, and he too is max-effort. Wilson can be a 40-45-point max-effort guy. Aston-Reese is coming, with a similar type.

When people talk about Hornqvist being unique, I don't really understand. Crosby and Malkin, THOSE we don't have a lot of. In fact, we have more than anyone.

But Horny? I need this explained to me like I am a 2-year-old.

Maatta for Kadri is actually pretty close in terms of value, but I don't see how having Kadri as 3C, as good as he would be, is more valuable for the Pens than Maatta and his cost certainty for the rest of the cup window. Especially given how things are tracking with Dumo. He may get two one year deals and then be traded or walk. Or he might get signed, but it's not certain at this point.

The uncertainty of Dumoulin's situation aside, I believe Kadri is worth more than Maatta. I love Maatta, but I don't think he is as good as Kadri now, and I don't think he will ever be able to impact a hockey game as much as Kadri. IF the Leafs were to ever offer Kadri for Maatta, I would not hesitate.

That said, your point about Dumoulin is well-taken.

Dumo-Letang
Cole-Schultz
Hunwick-Ruh
Nothing/deadline scraps

That leaves something to be desired for the playoffs or if there's an injury. I get that we did it this past season, but if we drew a more offensively impressive team than Nashville or Ottawa (which is almost always the case in those rounds) I think we're in a bit of trouble. Having Maatta cuts half the defense a break and plays everyone where they should be, to say nothing of injuries. We kinda need him now and for the future too. I don't see getting rid of him at this point in time.

As for Kadri, again I don't know why they would trade him to us. There's just no cause for making a team in your conference better if you're selling a player many teams would have interest in. I get the logic for Henrique only because the Devils aren't competing any time soon, but other than that some of these names are simply not coming here.

I think the ONLY way we decide to trade Maatta is if a) the Dumoulin situation gets resolved, and b) Markov has interest in coming here.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Of course I would love Kadri but after his past season, age, and good cap hit why would they trade him? I would be willing to give a nice package though if he was available. I know they have to move some forwards with currently 16 under contract know. Actually 18 at this point until they can put 2 on disability. What would it cost? Maatta+?

I think the trade would just be one for one. Maatta is three or four years younger and signed for four more years, I think, at 4 mil and Kadri is signed for 5 years at 4.5 mil. No need for any +

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Hornqvist and Simmonds are the only players in the game that are as good at what they do. Strong as bulls. Net front menaces. Garbage goal scorers. Legit leadership. Their play is contagious.

Penske

Kunitz wasn't there
Jan 13, 2016
Sure we have options. I just feel at this time that trading an established veteran player is our best option in terms of acquiring a 3C. Our deepest position organizationally speaking is probably goaltender, followed by right wing.

Also, when you say an excess of players like him, I am not too convinced of this. It depends on what people see in Hornqvist. I see a max-effort, 40-50-point winger. Hagelin MAY be able to hit 40 points, but is more of a max-effort 35-point guy. Rust is a 40-50 point guy, and he too is max-effort. Wilson can be a 40-45-point max-effort guy. Aston-Reese is coming, with a similar type.

When people talk about Hornqvist being unique, I don't really understand. Crosby and Malkin, THOSE we don't have a lot of. In fact, we have more than anyone.

But Horny? I need this explained to me like I am a 2 year old

With Hornqvist you have a guy that's arguably the best at what he does. I don't have last seasons stats but the previous 2 seasons Hornqvist scored more within 10ft of the net than any other player (Simmonds and Perry were up there as well). Those are high traffic areas and very physical areas. You can't just plug in a guy and expect the same to happen.

You are looking at it positions instead of stylistically. The Columbus series should show you why we need diversity. Crosby with Sheary and Guentzel gave up a lot of goals because we have two weaker wingers getting pushed of the puck and getting stuck in our zone. When those situations happened and Hornqvist was on the ice he just pushed through the crowd with the puck at his feet and was like a running back getting across the line.

Sully went back to Hornqvist with Sid and that line stopped bleeding goals. Not because Hornqvist is some defensive juggernaut but the dynamics of that line changed and couldn't be exploited.

We have smaller, skilled type wingers in Guentzel, Sheary, Kessel and Sprong (at some stage). We don't have another Hornqvist type not many teams do. Yeah we have Hagelin and Rust who are great forecheckers and good on D and we need those guys too in the top 9 but they are still a bit different to Hornqvist.

Obviously there are other factors but not a coincidence that easily the best goaltender we faced was in a series that Hornqvist was injured. His ability to screen goaltenders and to get pucks in extreme physical circumstances is second to none. Those things are needed in the playoffs. Ask the Penguins team that got swept by Boston how important a guy like Hornqvist would have been?

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
With Hornqvist you have a guy that's arguably the best at what he does. I don't have last seasons stats but the previous 2 seasons Hornqvist scored more within 10ft of the net than any other player (Simmonds and Perry were up there as well). Those are high traffic areas and very physical areas. You can't just plug in a guy and expect the same to happen.

You are looking at it positions instead of stylistically. The Columbus series should show you why we need diversity. Crosby with Sheary and Guentzel gave up a lot of goals because we have two weaker wingers getting pushed of the puck and getting stuck in our zone. When those situations happened and Hornqvist was on the ice he just pushed through the crowd with the puck at his feet and was like a running back getting across the line.

Sully went back to Hornqvist with Sid and that line stopped bleeding goals. Not because Hornqvist is some defensive juggernaut but the dynamics of that line changed and couldn't be exploited.

We have smaller, skilled type wingers in Guentzel, Sheary, Kessel and Sprong (at some stage). We don't have another Hornqvist type not many teams do. Yeah we have Hagelin and Rust who are great forecheckers and good on D and we need those guys too in the top 9 but they are still a bit different to Hornqvist.

Obviously there are other factors but not a coincidence that easily the best goaltender we faced was in a series that Hornqvist was injured. His ability to screen goaltenders and to get pucks in extreme physical circumstances is second to none. Those things are needed in the playoffs. Ask the Penguins team that got swept by Boston how important a guy like Hornqvist would have been?

OK. I buy a lot of this. HOWEVER, when Columbus starts pushing Conor Sheary around next season, it won't be Horny who will push back. It will be Reaves, who is a major addition to this team in terms of regaining territorial edge from bigger opponents. He adds a dimension we did not have before, and one who makes people like Sheary and Guentzel more comfortable. So, losing Hornqvist hurts in one area, but adding Reaves helps us in another. As far as garbage goals are concerned, you don't have to be big or strong. Maybe the best garbage goal-scorer of all time was Luc Robitaille. Jake Guentzel has a lot of Lucky Luc in him. Right place, right time. Guentzel will score a ton of garbage goals this season.

Lastly, you are talking about a Boston series where Mike Sullivan was NOT our head coach, right? I'm sorry, but you put Sullivan in there and we beat Boston, with James Neal and without Patric Hornqvist.

meechimindoh

Dec 13, 2009
OK. I buy a lot of this. HOWEVER, when Columbus starts pushing Conor Sheary around next season, it won't be Horny who will push back. It will be Reaves, who is a major addition to this team in terms of regaining territorial edge from bigger opponents. He adds a dimension we did not have before, and one who makes people like Sheary and Guentzel more comfortable. So, losing Hornqvist hurts in one area, but adding Reaves helps us in another. As far as garbage goals are concerned, you don't have to be big or strong. Maybe the best garbage goal-scorer of all time was Luc Robitaille. Jake Guentzel has a lot of Lucky Luc in him. Right place, right time. Guentzel will score a ton of garbage goals this season.

Lastly, you are talking about a Boston series where Mike Sullivan was NOT our head coach, right? I'm sorry, but you put Sullivan in there and we beat Boston, with James Neal and without Patric Hornqvist.

Sorry, are you saying you are expecting Reaves on Sid's side in the playoffs if his line gets stuck?

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Sorry, are you saying you are expecting Reaves on Sid's side in the playoffs if his line gets stuck?

Nope, I am saying if we start losing the territorial edge and guys on Sid's line start getting pushed around, it will be Reaves first off the bench to push back.

The only time you try Reaves on the top line if there's anything dirty going on, like what Phaneuf and Methot were doing towards the end of Game 6.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
If you don't understand the uniqueness of Hornqvist's game by now then no amount of explanation is going to help you.

Penske

Kunitz wasn't there
Jan 13, 2016

Reaves doesnt help Sheary and Guentzel become stronger on the puck when it's tight in our own zone. I don't know why you think Reaves would change things in that regards. If Reaves was good enough to play on that line fair enough but he's not.

We don't want Jake to play Hornqvist's role in today's NHL.

I'm talking about the Boston series where we actually had a good amount of the play but Rask was so comfortable in net he stopped everything. Our players tried shooting wider but that's why we hit the bar a ridiculous amount of times. That's when you need a Hornqvist.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
We don't want Jake to play Hornqvist's role in today's NHL.

Yeah, people are bemoaning Hornqvist's playing style inevitably leading to an early decline while simultaneously suggesting one of our most skilled young wingers to come along in years replace Hornqvist in his role. Baffling.

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
Dumo-Letang
Cole-Schultz
Hunwick-Ruh
Nothing/deadline scraps

That leaves something to be desired for the playoffs or if there's an injury. I get that we did it this past season, but if we drew a more offensively impressive team than Nashville or Ottawa (which is almost always the case in those rounds) I think we're in a bit of trouble. Having Maatta cuts half the defense a break and plays everyone where they should be, to say nothing of injuries. We kinda need him now and for the future too. I don't see getting rid of him at this point in time.

As for Kadri, again I don't know why they would trade him to us. There's just no cause for making a team in your conference better if you're selling a player many teams would have interest in. I get the logic for Henrique only because the Devils aren't competing any time soon, but other than that some of these names are simply not coming here.

First off we have no doubt we would get another defenseman at some point. Also that defense you posted is better than we won the Cup with this season. Letang, Hunwick, Ruh is better than Daley, Hainsey, Maatta. Kadri actually would be a great 3C for the Pens and a nice upgrade over Bonino.

Guentzel-Crosby-Sheary
Rust-Malkin-Kessel/Hornqvist
Hagelin-Kadri-Hornqvist/Kessel

Plus if someone like Sprong or Ashton-Reese proves ready for top 9 duty during the season we have a winger or wingers we could trade for a defenseman at the deadline. I would do Maatta for Kadri.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
sully takes us from a 2 goals for sweep to winning that series? I don't know about that at all.

Sullivan with the 2013 roster would have been interesting vs what the idiot did but, yeah... Shero added a lot of slow, almost done players and just had a **** tonne of players sitting around. Bylsma ****ed up a lot because of course he did but Iginla wasn't what he used to be, Murray only played one more NHL season, and Morrow only played two more seasons and the last one had brutal production. Even guys who were there before were in similar positions. Adams sucked and should have retired, Orpik was declining, Glass sucked... Eaton was essentially brought out of retirement... they were the antithesis of this team in a lot of ways.

And as funny as Bylsma whining about too many choices was Shero had a massive roster because he didn't want to trade a roster player. A massive roster that had rumours of discontent from players expecting to play or being pissed about their role changing after the deadline.

UnderratedBrooks44

Sep 13, 2005
Miranda's house
First off we have no doubt we would get another defenseman at some point. Also that defense you posted is better than we won the Cup with this season. Letang, Hunwick, Ruh is better than Daley, Hainsey, Maatta. Kadri actually would be a great 3C for the Pens and a nice upgrade over Bonino.

Guentzel-Crosby-Sheary
Rust-Malkin-Kessel/Hornqvist
Hagelin-Kadri-Hornqvist/Kessel

Plus if someone like Sprong or Ashton-Reese proves ready for top 9 duty during the season we have a winger or wingers we could trade for a defenseman at the deadline. I would do Maatta for Kadri.

You have an extremely high opinion of Ruh. Drastically higher than even JR, Ruh's agent, or Ruh himself does judging by his contract. I'll just leave it at that.

How are we getting another defenseman when Kadri makes $500k more than Maatta, aside from the specific circumstances you outlined at the end? We can't afford one.

TimmyD

Nov 11, 2013
Greensburg, PA
So there is an article from Yohe on DK's site about how Tyler Kennedy talked to Staal and now Staal would apparently be more comfortable playing a third line role for the Pens than he is with the way the Hurricanes are set up. I wouldn't mind having Staal back but I would think there would need to be some salary retention

Richard

Feb 8, 2012
The Matt hunwick signing is what has me at a loss. He sucks and takes us from Cap flexibility to cap constriction. And he was signed for three years.

The dude blows. smh

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
You still trading those guys if Hornqvist refuses to sign for less than 7x5.75m? (which is almost identical to the Oshie deal).

I don't disagree that he's stupidly hard to replace. But if he wants the same deal Oshie got (we'll subtract a year due to the difference in age), then what? There's no way I'd sign him to that contract. And if he's walking in 12 months, why would I trade Rust, Sheary or Maatta instead of Hornqvist, only to then also lose Hornqvist? I'm not one that always wants to maximize our assets... but to some extent it needs to be considered.

Bottom line is this. If Hornqvist isn't part of your long term plans, then how you evaluate him needs to change - at least a little. Especially if you're talking about instead moving players who might (or at least could be) part of your long term plans.

I really don't see Hornqvist getting that type of contract. If he demands it, then I obviously let him go.

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
So there is an article from Yohe on DK's site about how Tyler Kennedy talked to Staal and now Staal would apparently be more comfortable playing a third line role for the Pens than he is with the way the Hurricanes are set up. I wouldn't mind having Staal back but I would think there would need to be some salary retention
Yep if they retained50% hed be fine... probably cost a lot to get that though

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Sorry guys, but you're completely out to lunch here. Boston gave a 32 yr old Backes a 5x6m deal while NYI gave a 30 yr old Ladd a 7x5.5m deal. Both of those contracts were handed out last summer. That's in addition to KO and Eriksson both getting 6x6m deals. This summer we just saw Oshie (30) get a 8x5.75m deal. Hell even Brayden Schenn managed to get a 4x5.125m deal.

Bottom line, that's a lot of term and a lot of money that for the most part is going to guys in their early 30s. There's nothing to suggest that Hornqvist won't get something similar. This isn't what we'd "want to give him", this is what as a UFA he can almost certainly get on the market. And as one of the best at what he does around the league, someone will give it to him.

All of those examples are guys chasing UFA deals with teams that were moving on.

If Horny wants to maximize his contract with a playoff team, he can, but if he wants to continue to compete for Cups and still earn a lot of money (as I said yesterday, his career earnings through this contract is over 31MM), he will stay for 5ish x 5

Richard

Feb 8, 2012
All of those examples are guys chasing UFA deals with teams that were moving on.

If Horny wants to maximize his contract with a playoff team, he can, but if he wants to continue to compete for Cups and still earn a lot of money (as I said yesterday, his career earnings through this contract is over 31MM), he will stay for 5ish x 5

Why would you pay Horny 5 x 5? Dude can't stay healthy and will soon be on the wrong side of 30. Players that play his style of game don't last long after hitting the big 3-0

JRS91

Jul 4, 2010

As long as Sprong didn't end up going to Carolina, I wouldn't mind having Staal back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad