Salary Cap: Salary Cap Summer | The Hunt for 3C | Stop trying to give Sheary or Maatta away

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Not really, but I'll bite, why do you think so?

Because 12 NHL level wingers, when you can only play 8 and 2 of the depth guys would have to go through waivers, is certainly enough that you can afford to trade a guy and possibly so many that you actually want to move one to make space for the younger guys.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
"Making space for the younger guys" just isn't a thing. It's about accumulating as many good hockey players as you can have under the cap. If that means 12 wingers, you let things work themselves out, as they always do.

mrwirez

Apr 17, 2017
Pitt
I'm glad that he seems to be open to most possible options.

Me too.

I like that JR hasn't "panic" traded and didn't screw up the core for a 3peat attempt too.
I'm thinking, I consider Phil, Hags, and Horny very much part of the cup-run core. I hope they stay through next season The Penguins have nice chemistry with a blend of speed, youth and experience... For now.

*I HOPE -when the season starts, everyone doesn't look back and say, DAMN... We should just paid Bonino..

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
"Making space for the younger guys" just isn't a thing. It's about accumulating as many good hockey players as you can have under the cap. If that means 12 wingers, you let things work themselves out, as they always do.

I'm pretty sure I've seen teams let guys walk/trade guys to give bigger roles to younger players.

More to the point though, we are gonna be bumping into the cap if we get a pricy 3C, particularly if Cullen comes back. We'll also be bumping into the problem of having too many waiver exempt guys we want on the roster if Cullen comes back or one of the WBS guys comes up and sticks. Or if we get a pricy 3C and don't want to carry 14 forwards. Or if we don't get Cullen, but still want 5 centres in the 14, and don't trust Guentzel/Wilson there.

I'm all for accumulating as many good hockey players as we can keep hold of but we're about to run into problems holding onto them. And there's no point waiting until the last minute here if we see good trades involving them because WBS is full to the brim with wingers.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Ron Hainsey also pushed 20+ minutes in the playoffs. Just because you're playing the minutes doesn't mean you should be. I'd also argue Toronto didn't play nearly as well as some people like to make them seem. Look at what our hobbled squad did to the Caps the first couple games of our series.

I don't think that is fair. Toronto was there for the first time with this group, and Washington should have blown them out of the water. Five of six games went into OT.

Toronto is coming quickly, whether we like it or not.

I'm pretty sure I've seen teams let guys walk/trade guys to give bigger roles to younger players.

More to the point though, we are gonna be bumping into the cap if we get a pricy 3C, particularly if Cullen comes back. We'll also be bumping into the problem of having too many waiver exempt guys we want on the roster if Cullen comes back or one of the WBS guys comes up and sticks. Or if we get a pricy 3C and don't want to carry 14 forwards. Or if we don't get Cullen, but still want 5 centres in the 14, and don't trust Guentzel/Wilson there.

I'm all for accumulating as many good hockey players as we can keep hold of but we're about to run into problems holding onto them. And there's no point waiting until the last minute here if we see good trades involving them because WBS is full to the brim with wingers.

Well said. I agree.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I don't think that is fair. Toronto was there for the first time with this group, and Washington should have blown them out of the water. Five of six games went into OT.

Toronto is coming quickly, whether we like it or not.

Toronto's forwards and offensive system won them those games. Not their defensive prowess. I'd also point out the fact Babcock has a knack for making mediocre NHL defenseman look effective throughout his career.

Whatever. I'm not going to get into the Hunwick battle. I don't want ColePens browsing through my post history. I'll let it play out this season, and like I've said since the signing, I bet he is a whipping boy around here by November - December. Especially if one of Letang or Schultz goes down with injury.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad