Salary Cap: Salary Cap Summer | The Hunt for 3C | Stop trying to give Sheary or Maatta away

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range
We have what, 11mil to spend. If we signed Dumo and Sheary for 7, that leaves us with 4mil. If we were after someone costing 6 mil, Maatta would almost certainly be part of it. The difference is 2 mil more to our cap, thus leaving us with about 2 mil remaining for Cullen and a Maatta replacement. If we are going to replace Maatta in the short term with a top 4 guy (just using Markov as he is still out there) we will have to move another contract. Hagelin or Hornqvist would likely be casualties in that case. The other option would be to sign a cheap D or roll with what we have and evaluate then possibly make a move during the season or at the deadline for a D.

Last edited:

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
I'm on the fence of the Hunwick signing. I don't like the 3rd year at all. He's not a good #5, more of a #6/#7 like Ruhwedel. But i don't mind the signing. Good depth to have because we know the pens are gonna have 5 Dmen hurt at the same time.

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
GMJR Tuesday Post Gazette/Mackey

Jim Rutherford has a list.

The Penguins general manager does not, however, have a third-line center.

At least the type he acquired on the trade market, the potentially splashy kind that he theoretically has the money to add before the start of the 2017-18 season.

Go figure, the GM of the past two Stanley Cup winning teams isn’t terribly worried about any of this.

“It’s a patient process,†Rutherford said on Tuesday afternoon. “You don’t just jump at the first person.

“There’s some options out there right now, but we’ve put together a list of guys that we feel fit what we’re trying to do. I’m trying to be patient until one of those guys actually becomes available.â€

Much of that involves teams that are tight against the salary cap and may need to make a move to clear space.

Although Rutherford never talks about another team’s players, Toronto and center Tyler Bozak would seem to track with that ideology.

The Maple Leafs are currently $3.9 million over the salary cap and have a few tough decisions looming.

Asked about the length of said list, Rutherford invoked his trademark, sarcastic humor.

“There are hundreds of names on there,†Rutherford said.

:D

Our GM is on it guys!

I'm glad that he seems to be open to most possible options.

WhatsaMaatta

Feb 2, 2008
I'm on the fence of the Hunwick signing. I don't like the 3rd year at all. He's not a good #5, more of a #6/#7 like Ruhwedel. But i don't mind the signing. Good depth to have because we know the pens are gonna have 5 Dmen hurt at the same time.

The Pens didn't sign Hunwick to a 3 year, $7 mill contract to be a borderline regular roster defenseman, because he isn't. He will be a regular bottom pairing Dman on this roster who fits in with the team's style of play, and will be expected to be able to fill in on 2nd pairing duty with injury.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I don't like the Staal idea for 3 big reasons. First, it feels like you're just recycling guys at that point, I really think the Penguins should be looking for new and young blood instead of just bringing back retreads. Second, I don't think Staal is the right center to play with Kessel, because that just encourages Kessel to be more of a playmaker (since Staal sure won't be getting him the puck). Third, his salary and what he'd cost to acquire will probably just be overwhelming. You're not getting Staal back for less than what Carolina paid to get him, I'm really confident in saying that. You're looking at something like Sheary, Sprong and a 1st to bring him in, because Carolina isn't going to trade him for just Sheary and a 2nd.

I agree with your 3rd point, but not the others. If Bonino could get Kessel the puck, so can Staal. Staal is just a better player than Bonino in pretty much every way. How many chances did TK get streaking up Staal's wing? All of those old chest snipes would now be coming from Kessel instead.

That said, I agree with your 3rd point enough that I don't see Staal as a realistic option at all.

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
Hopefully Pou will be given the chance to work through some growing pains in the NHL. Sink or swim time.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Hopefully Pou will be given the chance to work through some growing pains in the NHL. Sink or swim time.

They apparently expect him to be ready for that chance if they gave him a 1-way deal, right? Or maybe they just don't care because they assume either would be claimed if we tried to slip them through waivers anyway.

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
They apparently expect him to be ready for that chance if they gave him a 1-way deal, right? Or maybe they just don't care because they assume either would be claimed if we tried to slip them through waivers anyway.

I'd assume so, yeah.

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range
Archibal getting 2 years is a strong indicator that a winger is on the move.

Kessel, Hornqvist, Rust, Reaves, Kuhnhackl, Sprong
Guentzel, Hagelin, Sheary, Wilson, Archibald, ZAR

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
The Pens didn't sign Hunwick to a 3 year, $7 mill contract to be a borderline regular roster defenseman, because he isn't. He will be a regular bottom pairing Dman on this roster who fits in with the team's style of play, and will be expected to be able to fill in on 2nd pairing duty with injury.
Then they're gonna be disappointed. Hunwick should never fill in the top 4. Hes just not that good. He's a fine bottom pair guy. Nothing more.

But his skating will fit nice here. So maybe he does better than expected.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Then they're gonna be disappointed. Hunwick should never fill in the top 4. Hes just not that good. He's a fine bottom pair guy. Nothing more.

I think our coaching staff and our system will be able to get the best from him the same as it did for Daley and seems to be for Schultz. He won't be perfect, but I think he'll do well here.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
I think our coaching staff and our system will be able to get the best from him the same as it did for Daley and seems to be for Schultz. He won't be perfect, but I think he'll do well here.

Thats what im hoping. But Tbh if we are giving out 3 year deals to bottom pair dmen, i would've rather kept Daley for one more million per.

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016

Wouldn't be too surprised if Kuhn or Archie would have to hit waivers at some point.

orby

Jun 16, 2013
Erie, PA
www.youtube.com

I would imagine Hagelin, since he is a very similar player to Archibald and makes more than 4 times as much money

Apr 9, 2009
USA

I understand what you're saying, but the Pens' track record with dmen coming into the system is about as good as any team in the league. I bet it turns out well.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Seems likely that ZAR & Sprong start in the AHL. Kuhn & Archibald are the 13th & 14th forwards, assuming we acquire a 3C without giving up a forward in return.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
The Matt hunwick signing is what has me at a loss. He sucks and takes us from Cap flexibility to cap constriction. And he was signed for three years.
The dude blows. smh

Not trying to be a jerk, but I hate when people talk in definitives about stuff like this. Unless you have a track record that is uber successful, you should at least keep it open to see before making a comment like that. I'm willing to wait and see how he plays in our system before making that final ruling.

Here are just some things you've said in the past:

Hagelin is not a top six winger and NEVER will be. The guy is 27, the league knows what he will bring. He's a decent third liner whose stats were overinflated from playing on a really good team with really good defenders who sent the puck up the ice quick.

You can get a guy that will play similar for 1M or less; IE 1/4 his salary. The Ducks, once again, laugh all the way to the bank.

This team isn't losing because of its bottom six. This team is losing because we have no talent in the top six besides Crosby and Malkin, no real physical presence on the blueline or down the middle (Fehr is the worst 6 ft whatever center I've ever seen in regards to physicality) and we lack a true number 1 dman.

That's why we suck in a nutshell.

This trade is useless. It's a criminal waste of cap space. Why do you think the Ducks were so eager to do it they took PERRON off our hands (that dude flat out sucks??).

This team is run by a bunch of idiots.

Hags went on to be a huge part of HBK. This was your definitive response to the Hags trade.

Pens won't win with Fleury, unfortunately.

MAF was a beast in the Caps series. I would have accepted: "Boy.. I'm not confident w/o Murray, but let's hope Flower delivers."

Lastly - you also claimed the Oilers were the worst organization for their trade for Larsson... but that ended up working out for them. Once again, I just think you should probably give it a shot before committing so early. ;)

WhatsaMaatta

Feb 2, 2008

Well given that you said you wouldn't mind the move, Either your player evaluation is off, and Hunwick is better than you think, or you don't understand the Pens' cap situation and the fact that no team should be locking a player up long term when they aren't intended to be playing everyday. I'll go with the former. Hunwick will be just fine on the bottom pairing given that he can skate and move the puck better than half our defensive group could during this past playoffs.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Cole right there

Trfup4u.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad