Salary Cap: Salary Cap Summer | The Hunt for 3C | Stop trying to give Sheary or Maatta away

Status
Not open for further replies.

UnderratedBrooks44

Sep 13, 2005
Miranda's house
Yep if they retained50% hed be fine... probably cost a lot to get that though

He's worth at least $5 mil IMO. If they retained $1 mil/year on his deal I would be highly interested, and if he was officially put on the block a lot of teams would be calling.

EDIT: He's basically not available but in terms of his value I think you're underrating him that's all.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
You have an extremely high opinion of Ruh. Drastically higher than even JR, Ruh's agent, or Ruh himself does judging by his contract. I'll just leave it at that.

How are we getting another defenseman when Kadri makes $500k more than Maatta, aside from the specific circumstances you outlined at the end? We can't afford one.

We're losing Maatta's salary, so it's only $500,000 net increase. We are already going to have, depending on Sheary and Dumo contracts, about 4 mil for a 3C. If we do t need a 3C because of the hockey trade, then we will still have about 4 mil for a 5/6 defenseman

UnderratedBrooks44

Sep 13, 2005
Miranda's house
We're losing Maatta's salary, so it's only $500,000 net increase. We are already going to have, depending on Sheary and Dumo contracts, about 4 mil for a 3C. If we do t need a 3C because of the hockey trade, then we will still have about 4 mil for a 5/6 defenseman

I gotcha. Overthinking it. I still think we're overloading up front and shorting the D in that scenario, but whatevs. Kadri isn't coming here in any case.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Why would you pay Horny 5 x 5? Dude can't stay healthy and will soon be on the wrong side of 30. Players that play his style of game don't last long after hitting the big 3-0

Hornqvist can't stay healthy?

I'm honestly sick of seeing people say the bolded. There is plenty of evidence of net front guys producing well into their mid 30's.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
The Matt hunwick signing is what has me at a loss. He sucks and takes us from Cap flexibility to cap constriction. And he was signed for three years.

The dude blows. smh

I wouldn't say he blows.
He's a perfectly suitable #5-6 and we needed one with Daley/Hainsey departed.
He's making less than both of them.
The 3 yrs gives us some security if Cole prices himself out.
Also, i like these longer term/short $ signings cuz it makes your roster really flexible.
JR can be in on any big name that pops up in trade possibles.
Theres no one on the roster now thats on an anchor contract.

He can skate, hit and make a good first pass.
Sully, Jacques and Gonch will get good hockey out of him.
I'm sure of it.

Last edited:

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Canes fans say Staal wouldn't be available, but I'm not so sure. From the perspective of a GM, obviously you hold onto him looking at the depth chart, but Karmanos thinks more like the Nuttings than like the Rooneys (and, if I'm not mistaken, he's involved in a massive lawsuit right now that he's expected to lose). It's Karmanos' priorities that matter--not Francis' or the team's.

I don't think it's out of the question that ownership would look at Staal simply as $36 million in outstanding debt. With a full NMC, Staal can force his way to a particular team, should Karmanos decide he wants that money off his ledger.

I wouldn't dismiss outright the possibility of Jordan wearing the black and gold again.

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
You have an extremely high opinion of Ruh. Drastically higher than even JR, Ruh's agent, or Ruh himself does judging by his contract. I'll just leave it at that.

How are we getting another defenseman when Kadri makes $500k more than Maatta, aside from the specific circumstances you outlined at the end? We can't afford one.

First off show me the place I gave my opinion of Ruh? I said that the D posted was better than the one in this years playoffs which is the case. Letang, Hunwick, Ruh is better than Maatta, Hainsey, and Daley which is a fact. No place did I talk up Ruh. I see him as a good #7 and perfect fill in when we have an injury to the top 6. In the post I even stated that we all know the Pens would get another defenseman. Also we would have plenty of cap space to get it done. We could afford a $4 million center with keeping Maatta and with him going in the deal we would have plenty of space to get another defenseman.

Also I would be much happier going into the season with that D than what we have at center now. But like I said we would get a defenseman. Honestly I don't know how much we really lose with the D besides depth because playing Hunwick on his left is much better then his right and Ruh proved to me he could play in the top 6 and be fine. I know we would get another defenseman but like I said this D would still be better than the one that won the Cup and the 3C would be upgraded from that team also. So even without getting a defenseman we are better. We would have the cap room to get a defenseman so it is a moot point.

tom_servo

Sep 27, 2002
Pittsburgh
Canes fans say Staal wouldn't be available, but I'm not so sure. From the perspective of a GM, obviously you hold onto him looking at the depth chart, but Karmanos thinks more like the Nuttings than like the Rooneys (and, if I'm not mistaken, he's involved in a massive lawsuit right now that he's expected to lose). It's Karmanos' priorities that matter--not Francis' or the team's.

I don't think it's out of the question that ownership would look at Staal simply as $36 million in outstanding debt. With a full NMC, Staal can force his way to a particular team, should Karmanos decide he wants that money off his ledger.

I wouldn't dismiss outright the possibility of Jordan wearing the black and gold again.

Agreed. I'd be all in favor. I forgot about the NMC. That could help get him here. With like a million retained, I think Staal's salary locked in for years looks pretty good.

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
A.) we dont need a six million dollar 3 rd line center
B.) Carolina doesnt have a glut of Centers
C.) unless Carolina wanted to move him it would take a huge overpayment to get Staal at a price that makes sense vs the cap.

Hey id love mcdavid as the third line center, but lets live in reality... We aren't likely getting a borderline top line center for our third line

UnderratedBrooks44

Sep 13, 2005
Miranda's house
First off show me the place I gave my opinion of Ruh? I said that the D posted was better than the one in this years playoffs which is the case. Letang, Hunwick, Ruh is better than Maatta, Hainsey, and Daley which is a fact. No place did I talk up Ruh. I see him as a good #7 and perfect fill in when we have an injury to the top 6. In the post I even stated that we all know the Pens would get another defenseman. Also we would have plenty of cap space to get it done. We could afford a $4 million center with keeping Maatta and with him going in the deal we would have plenty of space to get another defenseman.

Also I would be much happier going into the season with that D than what we have at center now. But like I said we would get a defenseman. Honestly I don't know how much we really lose with the D besides depth because playing Hunwick on his left is much better then his right and Ruh proved to me he could play in the top 6 and be fine. I know we would get another defenseman but like I said this D would still be better than the one that won the Cup and the 3C would be upgraded from that team also. So even without getting a defenseman we are better. We would have the cap room to get a defenseman so it is a moot point.

No it really isn't, and it's very much your opinion, which you clearly gave twice now.

I see what you mean about the cap space, I'd just rather go in with a better defense and find a less thrilling 3C. If we go far again I see us playing much more offensively potent teams than Ottawa and Nashville. Credit where it's due, but that's about as offensively inept as you can possibly get for a 3rd round/4th round gauntlet. Keeping the D intact as it is and eyeing up a more traditional 3C by way of a lesser trade is what I'd do.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
A.) we dont need a six million dollar 3 rd line center
B.) Carolina doesnt have a glut of Centers
C.) unless Carolina wanted to move him it would take a huge overpayment to get Staal at a price that makes sense vs the cap.

Hey id love mcdavid as the third line center, but lets live in reality... We aren't likely getting a borderline top line center for our third line

Cap-wise acquiring Staal wouldn't work unless Carolina holds onto at least $2 million of his cap hit for the remainder of the contract. The Penguins just don't need a $6 million 3rd line center.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Something I just thought of. Alotta people seem to still be worried about the defense. I'd ask, who among the likely playoff teams in the East are better at that position?

Caps certainly aren't anymore. Alzner, Schmidt and Shattenkirk gone.

Rangers added Shattenkirk and along with Skjei and McDonagh, they might have a top 3 that rivals ours.

Tampa pretty much only has Hedman and Stralman they can lean on. If Sergachev makes the jump this year, different story.

Montreal has an aging Markov yet to be re-signed, added Alzner who's declining. Weber is a great D-man, but very limited in what he brings nowadays. Petry is a legit #2/3, but I'd say we trump theirs top to bottom.

Toronto is missing a proven RHD to complete their blue line.

Ottawa. Karlsson's the best, yes. But they lost Methot. Phaneuf is a year older. And have a bunch of meh/maybes beyond that.

Boston is in the midst of losing Chara to retirement and plugging youth in. I'd take our group easily.

Those are the 7 other Eastern teams from last year. I'd say only the Rangers could argue they have a comparable blue line as of this moment.

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
Something I just thought of. Alotta people seem to still be worried about the defense. I'd ask, who among the likely playoff teams in the East are better at that position?

Caps certainly aren't anymore. Alzner, Schmidt and Shattenkirk gone.

Rangers added Shattenkirk and along with Skjei and McDonagh, they might have a top 3 that rivals ours.

Tampa pretty much only has Hedman and Stralman they can lean on. If Sergachev makes the jump this year, different story.

Montreal has an aging Markov yet to be re-signed, added Alzner who's declining. Weber is a great D-man, but very limited in what he brings nowadays. Petry is a legit #2/3, but I'd say we trump theirs top to bottom.

Toronto is missing a proven RHD to complete their blue line.

Ottawa. Karlsson's the best, yes. But they lost Methot. Phaneuf is a year older. And have a bunch of meh/maybes beyond that.

Boston is in the midst of losing Chara to retirement and plugging youth in. I'd take our group easily.

Those are the 7 other Eastern teams from last year. I'd say only the Rangers could argue they have a comparable blue line as of this moment.

I think Tampa & Rangers will be stiffest competition.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
I think we are living in reality, and many people have given good reasons why.

I'm not understanding why people think we should only pursue "traditional" skill sets for certain positions. We should trade our 1st for a run of the mill 3C. :laugh:

If we followed that mindset, we wouldn't have signed Cullen two years ago when trash like Slater was being bandied about on here.

Get the best players you can. Staal? He's already proven to be the best 3C in the game. And since then, he's become a top 5 face off man.

Saints11

Jan 24, 2012
Pittsburgh
The Matt hunwick signing is what has me at a loss. He sucks and takes us from Cap flexibility to cap constriction. And he was signed for three years.

The dude blows. smh

I was not a fan of this trade initially. However, the facts are he played basically top pair minutes quite successfully against the Caps in the playoffs, 20+ minutes per game. Now, the Pens are looking for bottom pair minutes. Remember with the return of 58, the equal rolling of pairs will in all likelihood come to an end.

Just throwing this out there remembering the Leafs/Caps series, although it is not likely, but how difficult would it be to play against a line of Wilson--Kadri--Reeves..Ouch!

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
I think Tampa & Rangers will be stiffest competition.

Tampa could be scary if Sergachev reaches his potential. Especially with all the team friendly contracts they have. But as of this moment, I take our blue line hands down.

The Rangers, Letang > McDonagh. Shattenkirk and Schultz are a push IMO if you factor in ES and defensive play. Dumoulin > Smith. Maatta and Staal are a push at worst. Staal being maybe a more reliable player but has little to no transition game/offense.

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
If anybody mentions Staal's name on the trade board an angry mob of Canes fans will appear quite quickly.

Saints11

Jan 24, 2012
Pittsburgh
Cap-wise acquiring Staal wouldn't work unless Carolina holds onto at least $2 million of his cap hit for the remainder of the contract. The Penguins just don't need a $6 million 3rd line center.

Well, let's put it true reality; not only would you have a 6 million 3C if we acquired Staal; but add a 6.8 mil right wing and a 4.4 mil left wing; if we went with an HSK line.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I was not a fan of this trade initially. However, the facts are he played basically top pair minutes quite successfully against the Caps in the playoffs, 20+ minutes per game. Now, the Pens are looking for bottom pair minutes. Remember with the return of 58, the equal rolling of pairs will in all likelihood come to an end.

Just throwing this out there remembering the Leafs/Caps series, although it is not likely, but how difficult would it be to play against a line of Wilson--Kadri--Reeves..Ouch!

Ron Hainsey also pushed 20+ minutes in the playoffs. Just because you're playing the minutes doesn't mean you should be. I'd also argue Toronto didn't play nearly as well as some people like to make them seem. Look at what our hobbled squad did to the Caps the first couple games of our series.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad